Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new work while on sick

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mireasa

because is closer to my house and i can take care of my daughter that she is so sick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

mireasa wrote: »
    I am not...but i was thinking to do so just to cover 2 weeks notice...
    i dont want to be paid sick leave....is there any way that i can say this to my current employer?

It looks like the OP was considering taking sick leave to cover the notice period, I don't think they are currently on sick leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

What is your sickness?
    What wrong with You?

Seems a strange co incidence that you're suddenly better the very day you start a new job.

Hope you weren't lying to your Dr.

Resign from your current job effective immediately (31st October).

It probably won't make much difference at this stage to your current employer if you are not there either through sick leave or not working out your notice period.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Ring your old employer and say your resigning with immediate effect and will not be working your notice.
    Tell them to cease all payments immediately.

Tell them you will be forwarding a letter immediately with the same information in it.

The chances of you being followed for not working your notice are negligible.

TBH it’s a bit of a crappy way to finish any job but then I know some employees are terribly treated and leave on stress etc which wouldn’t stop them starting a new job.

• Advertisement

TBH you are right! When they need you they will do anything....when they don't...they make you resign...lots of work and little pay and no appreciation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

mireasa wrote: »
    TBH you are right! When they need you they will do anything....when they don't...they make you resign...lots of work and little pay and no appreciation...

Who is making you resign? You are starting a new job, when you started this thread your employer didn't know you are leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

mireasa wrote:
    I am starting a new job tomorrow but i didnt give notice yet. notice should be 2 weeks....how do i cover the 2 weeks?! thanks

My advice is ring your old employer first thing tomorrow and just say look I'm letting you know I'm quitting today I won't be coming back I'm very sorry but I'm not in a position to work any notice period.

Go to new employer and forget about old job.

DO NOT claim sick pay from the second you start new job.
    Firstly it's very unfair to your old employer and secondly if there sick pay scheme involves the social welfare you will be guilty of de-frauding the scheme and risk getting in a bit of trouble.

OP you have handled this situation terribly, whatever about not working any notice you've also dumped your old employer in to having to scramble to replace you, that's bad form.

I echo other posters here your old job is lucky to be losing you and I feel sorry for your new employer.

You have my advice, but I don't wish you any luck.

I would like to thank all of you!:)

Advertisement