Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worlds first checkout free shop to open in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

world's first cashier-less shop is set to open in Cork
    Christ, Corkonian's will be renaming the place Silicon Cork now, leading tech hub of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Will stick to using self service checkouts, at night and with a hat on. Can't be too careful with big brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Sounds interesting

Not sure of that pic with the fellow clutching his bottle of orange and sandwich. He looks...bemused.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,482 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Putting it in Tallaght might provide for a more robust test environment? Population size and all that.

• Advertisement

Wrap yourself in tinfoil and rob the place blind.

Or just don't have a bank account?

Or Johnny goes into the shop, and throws the stuff out the door to Jimmy?

There may not be a checkout operator but I'm confident there'll be a security guard. Can't have nice things, remember. The scumbags ruin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

I absolutely will never use a shop like this. Cash in your pocket is vitally important. The cashless society advocates are the creepiest globalist there are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Not sure of that pic with the fellow clutching his bottle of orange and sandwich. He looks...bemused.
    He probably would have preferred a bottle of Tanora.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Amazon have a similar shop in the US for their own employees. Worked well until it came to staff leaving goods back on the shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

cant see it working. on several fronts

what happens if 30 people walk in together and start picking up and putting down items. surely loads of stuff wont be spotted

what happens when you put something back in the wrong place ( horrible thing to do I know)

how will it know you picked up 1 instead of 2 small items.

the scumbags will love this and find dozens of ways around this.

what happens when the system screws up and charges for stuff that you didn't get

how will it cope with similar looking people

what happens if twins dressed the same walk into the shop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Putting it in Tallaght might provide for a more robust test environment? Population size and all that.

The locals have been experimenting with the checkout free shopping experience for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

what annoys me about this , is that it is another way to get rid of employees. eventually there wont be any where for people to work. most jobs are riddled with this. I know its great for business but creating jobs is important too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

Albert Einstein once said,”I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiots”.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,700 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

what annoys me about this , is that it is another way to get rid of employees. eventually there wont be any where for people to work. most jobs are riddled with this. I know its great for business but creating jobs is important too

Would you rather we'd stayed with manually lit gas streetlighting, and manual typewriters instead of computers?

As the population ages, the jobs will just change. More need to for caregivers, less for checkout operators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I absolutely will never use a shop like this. Cash in your pocket is vitally important. The cashless society advocates are the creepiest globalist there are.

I know I should agree with you, but cards are just so damn handy man.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,410 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What about the jobs involved in creating this technology?

Do you still think there will be no people working in the stores?

What so vital about cash? Bits of paper that can be lost and coins that put holes in your pockets.

Cashless is the future and it's coming and won't be stopped. Using phones to pay is already quicker and safer than cards or cash so I don't get why people would be against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I watched a piece about checkout free shops before on BBC Click over the summer. I can't find the video for it but I'm actually surprised that Ireland is going to be the very first country in the world to get a business like this one. In all honesty; this is not a bad venture in itself. But; I would be skeptical in how a business like this one will be viable because it makes process of someone finding a job a little bit harder as the years go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Albert Einstein once said,”I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiots”.

Or did he just say it on facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Albert Einstein also said “I didn’t say half the bollocks ascribed to me on the internet”

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    What so vital about cash? Bits of paper that can be lost and coins that put holes in your pockets.

Cashless is the future and it's coming and won't be stopped. Using phones to pay is already quicker and safer than cards or cash so I don't get why people would be against it.

Many reasons. Privacy of any individual transaction for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Machines smarter than checkout operators. Never happen:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

What about the jobs involved in creating this technology?

Do you still think there will be no people working in the stores?

People need to clean spillage, stock the shelves and maintain and repair the technical side of the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

It might sound cool and futuristic but just remmber the owner/founder of this shop had no other motive other than cutting jobs so doesnt have to spend as much money on running costs. More money in a big chain owners pocket and less people with jobs

Not very cool in my books

And how is this worlds first? Japan is well know for them being common place there

Many reasons. Privacy of any individual transaction for one.

What privacy do you face and who would care what you buy?

Do you go around a shop blanket over the trolley?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Vronsky

I watched a piece about checkout free shops before on BBC Click over the summer. I can't find the video for it but I'm actually surprised that Ireland is going to be the very first country in the world to get a business like this one. In all honesty; this is not a bad venture in itself. But; I would be skeptical in how a business like this one will be viable because it makes process of someone finding a job a little bit harder as the years go on.

It's a far more viable proposition than a regular shop, lower staff costs, no cash handling costs. Don't right, something like this could be extremely profitable.

The technology would have to be very robust though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Would you rather we'd stayed with manually lit gas streetlighting, and manual typewriters instead of computers?

As the population ages, the jobs will just change. More need to for caregivers, less for checkout operators.

The jobs wont change though. There will be less of them..lots of scientists are talking about this. It is an exceptional event..not everything in our lifetime always has to have precedent in human history, such as man made climate change

A very large percentage of our population work in retail and construction which are two indsutries which look extremely likely to become almost exclusively autmoated. What jobs are these people going to get instead? all become virtual reality game designers? As I said, theres simply a large amount of the workforce which will become obsolete due to robotics

What privacy do you face and who would care what you buy?

Do you go around a shop blanket over the trolley?

Yes I do, who doesn’t?. But enough about me and your straw man personalised attacks, when I said “some people”.

There are all kinds of reasons why some people might want to use cash to hide their purchases from their wife, the bank, or the authorities.

(To the hard of thinking some people is not a me).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

Yet we'll still have defenders of mass-immigration telling us the we need immigrants to do the jobs the Irish won't. This was one of the biggest lies propagated during the European migration crisis. Foreigners already have lower employments rates compared to ethnic Irish: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/number-granted-irish-citizenship-in-2015-half-that-of-peak-1.2992509
    Employment rates in 2015 were similar but slightly higher for Irish nationals (63 per cent) than non-Irish nationals (60 per cent). However, the employment rate varied across national groups and was “very low” for African nationals (about 40 per cent).

This is only going to get worse.

• Advertisement

Yes I do, who doesn’t?. But enough about me and your straw man personalised attacks, when I said “some people”.

There are all kinds of reasons why some people might want to use cash to hide their purchases from their wife, the bank, or the authorities.

(To the hard of thinking some people is not a me).

All those things you list can also be kept private using the likes of Apple Pay you wish. Apps like Boon are just like having electronic wallet that you add cash too and you shop with that. Only total withdrawal would show on your bank just like a cash withdrawal would now.

Advertisement