Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 arena hall and Oates sound quality

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I echo (excuse the pun) he comments of others on here. I was in he middle standing about 10 - 12 persons from the front. The problem was that the mix was totally wrong with the Daryl's voice not able to be heard above the background music. There was an echo and it was difficult to make out what he was saying when speaking also.

I thought it was probably ok way back & in stands & quite a few standing moved back so much so that there was loads of room as the gig went on. however speaking to others afterwards there were problems also for those in seating area.

As stated above, sound on Chris Isaac was fine ( and slightly lower volume wise).

It has to come back to poor or lazy setup which is the fault of the sound engineer but the ultimate responsibility of the band to get right. The really top artists spend hours on setup - not sure what happened yesterday.

Anyway, I'm heading Steely Dan tonight so here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

LordSutch wrote: »
    Looks like there is a major sound engineer/ equipment problem at 3Arena/Dublin.

The sound there has and always will be terrible. Malfunctions aside, when the seats are up the sound travels under and around into the concession stands and echoes about, muffles etc and then comes back into the arena. Its a stupid design.

When the seats are all down though the sound is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Bad form that there wont be any refunds in this case. It shouldnt be a roll of the dice for a decent night, it should always be good. MCD should be sorting out refunds as that is the right thing to do. But thats something that never happens in the music world...

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭urbangoo

OnDraught wrote: »
    It’s gas that people continue to blame the venue in this thread. No one wants to blame the band it seems.

I think it was the band at fault. I've seen a few complaints about their London gig and one person on twitter was saying that Hall and Oates are known for their sound problems.

I only went for Chris Isaak and he sounded perfect so I'm not too upset. I was standing up the front for him but we moved back and over to the side for Hall and Oates. The sound was really bad, you could barely make out the words to to the songs.

I've been to loads of gigs in the 3Arena and the only other time there was sound issues was for one of the acts playing the Country2Country festival. That night, the support acts were fine but the main act had sound problems, which makes me believe it's not the venue at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,893 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

xpletiv wrote: »
    Bad form that there wont be any refunds in this case. It shouldnt be a roll of the dice for a decent night, it should always be good. MCD should be sorting out refunds as that is the right thing to do. But thats something that never happens in the music world...

I suppose a punter or two could always try the Small Claims Court for refund - could be difficult to prove either way, though the large volume (no pun intended) of complaints on Twitter and here could be signficiant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Wheety wrote: »
    I agree with this. Paul McCartney was amazing there a few years ago.

Saw the Prodigy there last year, excellent sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Definitely not a problem with the arena's sound. I've been to at least 20 gigs there since it reopened and have always thought the acoustics were top notch.

I was at the gig last night and the issues definitely seemed to be with the band's sound engineers. The feedback issues at the start of "I can't go for that" was complete amateur hour and the vocals were lost in the mix for the majority of the show.

On the other hand, I was blown away by how good Chris Isaak sounded. Great showman too and I'd definitely go to another of his gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,358 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Yes saw that about the London show on Saturday. However the O2 London is notorious for bad sound.

Was in the O2 last week for Metallica, no complaints from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Was in the O2 last week for Metallica, no complaints from me.

I agree, saw Nick Cave a couple of weeks back and the sound was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mossie G

Not the venue but incompetence on the mixing desk coupled with a couldn't care less attitude from the stage contributed to a most disappointing night. We stuck it out up to "I can't go for that !" and left only to find a packed Luas of fellow concert goers who had also given up !

Could not see the point of putting the drummer in a perspex cage and then getting it so wrong on balancing the sound. The bass drum and Floor Tom Tom together with a boomy bass guitar drowned everything else out.

Chris Isaac was the surprise of the night - great entertainer and really got the crowd in the mood. Sound improved when his drummer came out front with just the snare and brushes for a great cover of Roy Orbison's "Only The Lonely". When he got back behind the drum kit the overbearing Bass Drum and floor Tom Tom took over.

Like someone else in the thread, we too are off to the Doobie Bros and Steey Dan tonight - with fingers crossed !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

bennyl10 wrote:
    The 3arena is one of the best acoustically designed venues out there abd has stunning sound!

Totally agree with you.

The band bring their own sound engineers, speakers, mics, cable etc.

The three venue has the same acoustics for all gigs. The variable is the band and their equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

MCD will fight you tooth and nail, if you ask for a refund.
    I was at David Gray in Marley Park. It rained after a few songs. The promoter came on basically told people the gig is off, no refunds.
    Get the retaliation in first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Mr.S wrote: »
    It's not even the venue or promoters fault, it's down to the production crew & sound engineers.

The 3Arena has great sound / accoustics, but if the sound engineers **** up, that's up on them.

Of course, most people are going to complain to MCD in this case, but really it's nothing to do with them. No chance of getting a refund, sorry.

Promoter takes responsibility. end of story. its up to them to fix issues like this and replace the bands engineer on the spot if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

We were standing mid way up the standing section. Sound for Chris Isaak was spot on and I really, really enjoyed his set, not being familiar with any of his stuff bar the hits. Would definitely go to see him again in a smaller venue.
    As soon as the sound issues started with H&O I thought "here we go again" after the previous sound debacle with the Doobie Brothers. 4 songs in, we moved back towards the sound desk, where I called over one of the staff and explained that the vocals couldn't be heard further up. Saw them twiddle around on the desk a bit but not sure it made any difference.I did notice the mic at the piano sounded miles better for the couple of songs DH did at it.

Promoter takes responsibility. end of story. its up to them to fix issues like this and replace the bands engineer on the spot if necessary.

The promoter books the venue and the band and he promotes the gig. The band have their own roadies and sound engineer for the duration of the tour. The promoter is not responsible for the sound.

The quality of the sound is totally up to the band. That's their job. They put out the sound that they want. A band would refuse to go on stage without a their own engineer or they would walk off if you tried to change him half way through the show.

I can't see why people refuse to lay the blame where it belongs. The band fecked up

• Registered Users Posts: 2 queenie 10

sound was an absolute disgrace. Piercing, then muffled. walked out before the encore.
    going to Steely Dan and Doobies tonight, sound better be BETTER.
    going to look for a refund.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Thats bull**** , im sorry to say that but as people have said these kind of bands travel with their own crew and so its 100% up to their own personal sound engineer.

Do you really expect MCD to come and say ok sorry we are gonna stop the show due to sound issues while we ring around and try find a new engineer????

The promoter books the show and promotes in , its 100% up to the band who they decide to do their sound

Also there is no hope you will get a refund because of the sound , ive been to plently of gigs in the 3Arena and never had a problem with sound

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

Thats bull**** , im sorry to say that but as people have said these kind of bands travel with their own crew and so its 100% up to their own personal sound engineer.

Do you really expect MCD to come and say ok sorry we are gonna stop the show due to sound issues while we ring around and try find a new engineer????

The promoter books the show and promotes in , its 100& up to the band who they decide to do their sound

Also there is no hope you will get a refund because of the sound , ive been to plently of gigs in the 3Arena and never had a problem with sound

Totally agree. At this stage Hall & Oates are aware of the issues so hopefully they will respond in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

The promoter books the show and promotes in , its 100% up to the band who they decide to do their sound

Im giving an extreme example of responsibility to make a point. the book stops with MCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

If there's any liability to the punter here I'd say it falls with MCD. They are promoting the gig and the first party (via ticketmaster) to receive the funds to be dispersed accordingly. It's up to them to ensure the gig they promoting meets minimum audio standards.

• Advertisement

If there's any liability to the punter here I'd say it falls with MCD. They are promoting the gig and the first party (via ticketmaster) to receive the funds to be dispersed accordingly. It's up to them to ensure the gig they promoting meets minimum audio standards.

We've had horrible sounding artists over the years. Whitney Houston was so off her head she forgot lyrics and mumbled through the songs she remembered. Neil Diamond was woeful last time he was here. Neil young with Crazy horse produced and terrible sound (I my opinion) & the gig was mostly exploited speaker feedback. None of this is the fault of the promoter nor is he ever held responsible.

The Beauty of sound is in the eye or ear of the beholder.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

No MCD did there job , they booked and promoted the gig its up to the band and their crew to make sure that the production/performance is up to scratch

• Registered Users Posts: 2 drom47

Horror and Oats...Thank God for Chris Iaasac ....Great voice ..Great showman..Great sound ..Unfortunately none of the above regarding Hall and Oats. .Sound engineering STOLE the show 😠

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Neil Diamond was woeful last time he was here.
    The Beauty of sound is in the eye or ear of the beholder.

No he wasn't.
    I saw him a few weeks ago in the 3arena and 2 years ago in the same venue and the sound was pristine.

Zardoz wrote:
    No he wasn't. I saw him a few weeks ago in the 3arena and 2 years ago in the same venue and the sound was pristine.

Thanks for that. You've proved my point.
    Something sounds bad to one person but good to someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. You've proved my point.
    Something sounds bad to one person but good to someone else

No ,bad sound is bad sound ,its not really subjective .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

it's not the space . And if the support sounded good it's likely not the system. It is down to the engineer/band.
    I'm no fan of MCD, but they cannot be held responsible if the band have the wrong people on production.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Whatever Sound engineer they had back in 1977 wasnt to bad... here they are live on German tv with rich girl. fab sound :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Zardoz wrote:
    No he wasn't. I saw him a few weeks ago in the 3arena and 2 years ago in the same venue and the sound was pristine.

Neil Diamond makes an atrocious noise anyway regardless of the quality of the sound system it's directed through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭SteM

Whatever Sound engineer they had back in 1977 wasnt to bad... here they are live on German tv with rich girl. fab sound :)

Pretty pointless comparison.
    Totally different setup and set of problems producing live sound in a different arena every night to a one-off TV studio performance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement