Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 arena hall and Oates sound quality

Options
  • 29-10-2017 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭

Was disgraceful. Would rather have walked out. Will update later but what a disaster.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭DisneyLover

So disappointed :(

I had three Cork women screaming behind me and had to move seats twice which disnt help !

Darryl cant sing for ****.

Sound was AWFUL, worst Ive ever heard! And we go to 10-20 gigs a year!

Going to listen to them on iTunes now and try not to hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

Yep. Left after 20 minutes. Sound quality absolutely shocking. I think a call to Talk to Joe is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

I'm just glad I saw Chris Isaak who was superb as was the sound for his set. As for Hall & Oates it was dreadful and easily the worst gig of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Why come here complaining, ok, guess some people do that

If ever you have a sound issue at a gig and are gonna walk out ask to speak to a member of the promotion team(mcd), take their name etc, you have a lot more comeback then if looking for a refund

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭emo72

scudzilla wrote: »

If ever you have a sound issue at a gig and are gonna walk out ask to speak to a member of the promotion team(mcd), take their name etc, you have a lot more comeback then if looking for a refund

I'm posting here to see if anyone else agrees with me. I didn't want to leave my wife on her own and go find a sound engineer to ask what's going on. Really at that stage it's a salvage situation. Hoping it improves. After spending 90 euro a ticket plus the hassle of getting in and out of there. Waiting months for this to come around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Darryl kept making signals about his mic.

John Oates was made aware of the problem by the fans around a couple of songs into their set.

rednik wrote: »
    John Oates was made aware of the problem by the fans around a couple of songs into their set.

Yeah people were saying they couldn't hear them and they spoke it about it for a minute when that happened. Darryl and John were saying to turn up the vocal mics then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

The sound from Daryl's mic was horrendous.

He did some acapella at the end of one of the songs and everyone around where we were all made groaning sounds in unison.... was painful.

They're very professional though and if they were made aware of it, you wouldn't really have known.

Would like to see a scaled down acoustic tour from them some day. Would be epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

Wheety wrote: »
    Yeah people were saying they couldn't hear them and they spoke it about it for a minute when that happened. Darryl and John were saying to turn up the vocal mics then.

And funnily enough it was after this that the sound got steadily worst. It was comically bad for the 2nd half of the gig. The feedback at the intro to I Can't Go for That nearly pierced my hearing.

Shocking venue for sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,083 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Sounds like a different issue (maybe), but I was at the Steely Dan concert last night, and the sound cut out three or four times during the Doobie Brothers supporting. All that could be heard was the drummer bashing away like there was no tomorrow!

Didn't happen during the main gig.

But not what you'd expect at a venue like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I have to disagree. The three arena and the board gas energy theater are probably the best venues for sound. I was at the waterboys in the three on Thursday night and sound was perfect.

Each act brings their own sound engineers and sound equipment. What everyone on this thread seems to be talking about is bad equipment and sound engineer. The venue itself has been designed acousticly. some of the best acts in the world have preformed there with perfect sound.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I have to disagree. The three arena and the board gas energy theater are probably the best venues for sound. I was at the waterboys in the three on Thursday night and sound was perfect.

Each act brings their own sound engineers and sound equipment. What everyone on this thread seems to be talking about is bad equipment and sound engineer. The venue itself has been designed acousticly. some of the best acts in the world have preformed there with perfect sound.

I agree with this. Paul McCartney was amazing there a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭emo72

I agree with this. Paul McCartney was amazing there a few years ago.[/quote

Well not tonight it was. It was dire.]

emo72 wrote: »
    I agree with this. Paul McCartney was amazing there a few years ago.

Well not tonight it was. It was dire.]

Exactly. So it's not the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cacambo

scudzilla wrote: »

What a horse-**** response. The crowd was there to see Hall & Oates, and might never see them again. So all of us made do.

I personally spoke to a staff member about the sound quality at the break, he said, 'the building isn't good for sound,and that's how it is'. What? The building?

And, even though the sound was crap, I went back in.

The night before, the Doobie Brothers were cut off - total silence - for ten or twenty seconds, twice! On their hit songs, and the audience filled it in.

They did a 'intro the band' part on Steely Dan, and when the trombonist played on his piece, there was total silence - pumping away, no sound. For f..s sake. All night he was playing and nobody could hear a thing.

What a load of ****. Money back is the start of it. The artists should also sue 3 for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,358 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

cacambo wrote: »

What a load of ****. Money back is the start of it. The artists should also sue 3 for this.

You sure this is the Arena fault? Saw not so good results referring to London show sound wise albeit not on same scale.

Seen some support acts not be up to par as headliners in terms of sound a few occasions after it wasn't the point anymore but caught 3 gigs there this year A7X/Maiden/Aerosmith all delivered without issue...really good nights in fact

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

You sure this is the Arena fault? Saw not so good results referring to London show sound wise albeit not on same scale.

Seen some support acts not be up to par as headliners in terms of sound a few occasions after it wasn't the point anymore but caught 3 gigs there this year A7X/Maiden/Aerosmith all delivered without issue...really good nights in fact

Yes saw that about the London show on Saturday. However the O2 London is notorious for bad sound. The engineers when there tend to crank up the sub bass to compensate for the low registers leaking out and there is a muffled "muddy" sound overall. Jimmy Page hates the venue, said he'll never play it again. I saw Prince there in 2007 and had to move, couldn't hear a thing. I enjoyed the Hall and Oates concert but I couldn't see how that sound design could carry off the o2 Greenwich.

I was at the 3 Arena quite a lot this year - Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Aerosmith, ZZ Top, Chili Peppers and last night. The sound for all of them was fine save for ZZ Top who had the same problems posters are now complaining about - the famous riff on Waitin for the Bus was ruined with Frank Beard and Billy Gibbons being out of sync and the intro to Gimme All Your Lovin wasn't audible at all. For the gig I was standing downstairs on the left.

Other than "I Can't Go" I didn't notice any problems last night other than it was slightly muffly overall but nothing to complain about. Am heading to Steely Dan tonight and will keep a close ear out.

Where were posters seated/standing that couldn't hear?

I was in block G and the sound was atrocious for H&O but fine for Chris Isaak. I checked with a friend in block D and it was the same there. The people standing also had the problem as they were the ones who got John Oates attention and he said it over the microphone.I have attended numerous gigs in the point and I can honestly say this is the first with any sound problems.

The issue on Saturday night for the Doobies was a power issue and nothing to do with sound. There were no issues with Steely Dan. Hopefully all will be good tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

rednik wrote: »
    <snip>

The issue on Saturday night for the Doobies was a power issue and nothing to do with sound. There were no issues with Steely Dan. Hopefully all will be good tonight.

I've heard more complaint about sound in the Three than anywhere else..I seem to recall a major problem with sound at the first of two Roger Waters gigs a few years back...maybe it's because there are more gigs there.

The Bord Gais Energy Theatre is the best venue in Dublin for sound...it's consistently good no matter where you're seated. The Helix is pretty good too.Mind you, the best sound at a gig I've heard in Dublin was Mike and the Mechanics in the Olympia which was like listening to my sound system at home...absolutely brilliant.
    Worst was without doubt The Police in Croke Park. Atrociously inaudible. Closely followed by Queen at the Point (although in fairness, I was sitting somewhere near Fairview).

I was at one of The Wall concerts and I remember hearing about the sound issues but it did not affect us on the night. I think it was isolated to some sections in the arena. Last night's was all over the arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭leonffrench

cacambo wrote:

3 are only the name sponsor. The venue is run by Live Nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

Was at both Roger Waters gigs that time and also at last nights. The first night of Roger Waters the sound was more about the volume of Rogers mic, but i was standing at the back of the standing section where they had open access to the bar area (they didnt close it off). Second night sitting down, sound was quality.

Last night? The worst i've ever heard, as soon as more than two instruments were involved it created a ball of muddled reverb mess. Ground floor, right in front of the sound desk. Moved to the left and back over to the right and it was just as bad. Impressively bad actually.

Was lucky to see them at the Olympia 3 years ago when they rocked the place

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭bennyl10

cacambo wrote: »
    What a horse-**** response. The crowd was there to see Hall & Oates, and might never see them again. So all of us made do.

I personally spoke to a staff member about the sound quality at the break, he said, 'the building isn't good for sound,and that's how it is'. What? The building?

And, even though the sound was crap, I went back in.

The night before, the Doobie Brothers were cut off - total silence - for ten or twenty seconds, twice! On their hit songs, and the audience filled it in.

They did a 'intro the band' part on Steely Dan, and when the trombonist played on his piece, there was total silence - pumping away, no sound. For f..s sake. All night he was playing and nobody could hear a thing.

Sue?! Bahahahahahahaha thanks for the laugh anyway!

The 3arena is one of the best acoustically designed venues out there abd has stunning sound!

If it was brutal last night it’s down to the bands own sound engineers! Not the arenas fault!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

gilmour wrote: »
    Was at both Roger Waters gigs that time and also at last nights. The first night of Roger Waters the sound was more about the volume of Rogers mic, but i was standing at the back of the standing section where they had open access to the bar area (they didnt close it off). Second night sitting down, sound was quality.

Last night? The worst i've ever heard, as soon as more than two instruments were involved it created a ball of muddled reverb mess. Ground floor, right in front of the sound desk. Moved to the left and back over to the right and it was just as bad. Impressively bad actually.

Was lucky to see them at the Olympia 3 years ago when they rocked the place

I was downstairs in standing and on the left and pretty much in front of them. Maybe I was just lucky.

Worst sound I recall was Prince at the RDS in 1992. He sounded like he was playing through two blown speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭bennyl10

3 are only the name sponsor. The venue is run by Live Nation.

Abd even then it isn’t there fault..

Each artists brings there own engineers and techs, if they couldn’t make it work it isn’t the venues issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

My experiences also

Left a trip advisor review to warn people

Still a terrible venue, had all the old problems and now new ones too
    emo72 wrote: »
    Was disgraceful. Would rather have walked out. Will update later but what a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Sleeper12 wrote: »

spot on.
    lots of support acts don't have their own sound engineer, so use the venue's in-house sound engineer.
    Chris Isaak was probably using the 3Arena's engineer (and soundboard) or his own engineer, and the sound was fine.

H&O were likely using their own engineer and equipment, who did a bad job of setting up and configuring, and that's why the sound was poor compared with Isaak 30mins before.

I've been to plenty of gigs at the 3Arena and the sound has always been great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

It’s gas that people continue to blame the venue in this thread. No one wants to blame the band it seems.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement