Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Establishments that have gone to sh*t

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

You need to take that to the controversial opinions thread

Just kinda dislike the phrase “you either love or it hate it”. On pretty much any given subject, there’ll be plenty of indifference. Very few things are truly polarising.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,481 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

splinter65 wrote: »
    M&S is like Marmite. Either you love it or you hate it. The customer service in the Clonmel branch are appalling, but the food is still much better then any other supermarket.

Putting a M&S amongst the savages of Clonmel may have been the first mistake...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Chicken Hut and Donkey Fordes in Limerick. True legends..

In fairness Donkeys went to sh!t a long time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I was in Abrakebabra yesterday in Swords, haven't been to an Abrakebabra in years.... holy crap... their Taco Fries used to be the stuff of legend.... but what I got were miserable oil infested thick chips and the taco sauce was terrible... :mad:

Abra was always great when you had a few pints on you.

Not so great when you are sober.

Would that explain the difference? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Putting a M&S amongst the savages of Clonmel may have been the first mistake...

It was originally intended for McDonagh Junction in Kilkenny but Dunnes kicked up murder so I believe.
    Kilkenny would be a natural home for M&S.
    In fairness Clonmel is the least chavvy place in Tipp.
    It’s a nice shop, lots of parking in a nice small shopping center, but the customer service in there is more or less non existent.
    The staff are nakedly hostile to any customers seeking any assistance.
    Heavy sighs, shoulder shrugging dismissive waves of the hand. I was there on Thursday and paid €200+ at the till while the cashier never interrupted her personal conversation with another staff member during the entire transaction except to bark the total figure at me.
    The supervisor was quite close and when I drew her attention to it she just shrugged and smiled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

humberklog wrote: »
    They're all selling the same gloopy schlock.

Agree with this... there are three Chinese takeaways where I live... 2 of them serve curry sauce that's so manky it's like dipping your chicken balls in snot :eek: :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

paulbok wrote: »
    BOI

They were always ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

mikemac2 wrote: »
    I remember the Irish Independent when it was a respected paper and not a rag

A quick look at the ownership....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Not an establishment per se but I used to love a bottle of Lucozade the morning after a heavy night. Now it tastes like that cheap TK cream soda you used to get in the 80s.

Thought I'd just got a bad batch so fired off an email and their response was they've gone more health conscious and reduced the sugar content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Collie D wrote: »
    Not an establishment per se but I used to love a bottle of Lucozade the morning after a heavy night. Now it tastes like that cheap TK cream soda you used to get in the 80s.

Thought I'd just got a bad batch so fired off an email and their response was they've gone more health conscious and reduced the sugar content.

A lot of diabetics really relied on Lucozade to help if blood sugars went low and Lucozade changed the "recipe" without informing consumers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Lucozade has changed because of the upcoming sugar tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Tesco since they introduced those mother effin blue wheeled basket things, wtf was wrong with either choosing a normal basket for a few items or then going to the smaller trolley if you wanted slightly more. I feel like a bellend going around with them when only getting a loaf of bread and milk.

tesco-612031.jpg
    You know you can just carry them? The basket is not mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

McDonald's in Stillorgan last Friday night - the rudest staff member (a c.20 yr old female ) i have ever met - anywhere - and the rest of the front of house/counter staff seemed to be out of control ...

McDonald's in Stillorgan last Friday night - the rudest staff member (a c.20 yr old female ) i have ever met - anywhere - and the rest of the front of house/counter staff seemed to be out of control ...

mikemac2 wrote: »
    I remember the Irish Independent when it was a respected paper and not a rag

Assuming this was before its journalists gloried in the suffering inflicted by its owner on the workers of Dublin in the 1913 Lockout, this poses one question: just how old are you?

Poor.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

paulbok wrote: »
    You must be really old so

You'd only have to be in your 30s
    Sorry, so when are you saying the Independent was a respectable newspaper ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Have you ever seen those YouTube videos from a chain of restaurants in the US where the waiting staff are actually hired to be borderline abusive to customers?
    That’s Supermacs in Thurles even when they’re not busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Amnesty International. I liked them when they actually cared about genuine human rights.

Establishments that have gone to sh*t

The Irish Times. I was fortunate to have been brought up in a house where The Irish Times of Douglas Gageby - yes, he who was infamously described as a "White Nig ger" by The Irish Times chairman in the late 1960s for the crime of supporting the Civil Rights Movement - was purchased 6 mornings a week. Despite Myers, it was a frequently excellent newspaper - open-minded, pro-EU and pro-Irish culture. A pleasure to read not only the Irish language section when no other daily paper had one but the pages of world news which were by far the most fascinating to my 12-year-old self. In recent decades, the book reviews and the writing of Róisín Ingle and Frank McNally were a pleasure to read. The Irish Times used to be a lovely Saturday experience in particular (although it was always beyond belief that 80 years after the creation of an Irish state they were still giving book prices in sterling).

Since 2011, if not before, it is little but a reactionary anglocentric rag giving space to an entire recruitment campaign series for the British Army (Peter Murtagh) and incessant Redmondite defences of British Empire violence/excoriations of Irish nationalist violence by, among others, John Bruton, Stephen Collins, John A. Murphy & Patsy McGarry. The Irish Times doesn't do balance on this issue. At all. Constantly. While the online comments under the articles would be 95% against their articles (before it was closed to all non-subscribers), the published letters would never reflect this. The political message was clear.

The treatment of 25-year-old Kate Fitzgerald RIP, and in particular the shameful apology to Terry Prone, in 2012 was the final straw. From being a daily purchaser, I went to just buying the Friday & Saturday papers to buying none. I can still read it for free online, but I've no intention of financially supporting its politics. It's a pity as for cultural reasons I'd genuinely like to be able to finance an intellectually pro-Irish, pro-EU paper that excelled in public interest investigative journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

The Irish Times.

My first thought as well. It seems to have turned into an Irish version of the Guardian, too many articles which don't give us the full story and too many columnists with chips on their shoulder spouting nonsense. The likes of Una Mulally have really dragged it down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

McDonald's rotten, bugger king rotten, supermacs absolutely worst fast food ate recently was just oil dripping gunk and chips tasted gone real bad, KFC rotten, even as mentioned previous with the new rockets where you go collect like mc D's or burger king it was absolutely rotten.

What is going on with food places a lot are gone so bad its unreal.
    Most of those places churn out the same identikit food year on year. The common factor here is you. Have you considered consulting a doctor?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

mikhail wrote: »
    Most of those places churn out the same identikit food year on year. The common factor here is you. Have you considered consulting a doctor?

I am the doctor. Doctor of punishment..... Bit like dexter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

KungPao wrote: »
    Bruxelles rock bar.

What happened? The upstairs place was my favourite spot in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Lucozade has changed because of the upcoming sugar tax.

I would have preferred it to be more expensive and still be the same recipe rather than the mank that it is now :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

On a more serious note, the KFC chicken breasts are tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Tesco since they introduced those mother effin blue wheeled basket things, wtf was wrong with either choosing a normal basket for a few items or then going to the smaller trolley if you wanted slightly more. I feel like a bellend going around with them when only getting a loaf of bread and milk.

tesco-612031.jpg
    You know you can just carry them? The basket is not mandatory.

But it's a loaf of bread AND milk!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Eddie Rockets in Dundrum has gone to complete sh*te - used to be nice but last two times I was in there the food was completely rotten, tasted like it had been cooked hours previously and just left under those heat lamps to shrivel away.

pauliebdub wrote: »
    My first thought as well. It seems to have turned into an Irish version of the Guardian, too many articles which don't give us the full story and too many columnists with chips on their shoulder spouting nonsense. The likes of Una Mulally have really dragged it down.

Jennifer O'Connell's articles add nothing to the Sat magazine.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

fussyonion wrote: »
    KFC in The Square is a cesspit.
    Overflowing bins, disgusting floors, filthy tables, it's horrendous.

IMO all the KFCs I've had the misfortune to be in over the past decade are filthy, poorly managed kips. Really poor service and very dirty. Something is very wrong with the way they are being run.

I know people love to knock McDonalds, but they have consistently high standards of cleanliness and hygiene and their outlets have all undergone major refits to look very contemporary and modern. They are one of the best fast food chains around - by a long shot.

Abrakebabra were always pretty rubbish.

As a former Irish Tines reader, I agree that the so called "paper of record" has gone very downhill. Much less in depth content and lots of faux-liberal shilling. It's also scandalously expensive. Sales must be on the serous wane.

90% of the fare Chinese eateries serve up these days are pure rubbish. Especially the watery, rubbery "chicken". Why Irish people adore them so much is a mystery to me - they can only be consumed in an extreme state of inebriation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I feel like a bellend going around with them when only getting a loaf of bread and milk.

tesco-612031.jpg

What are you doing with a basket for 2 items at all?

Advertisement