Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Is there a tangible difference between Saracens and Chiefs?

One is the appropriation of the cultural trappings of a notoriously victimised ethnicity (for simplicity) while the other is using the colloquial name for all Arabian Muslims and was apparently a response to the other local rugby club being called Crusaders.

Dunno, is that tangible? This sort of issue rarely results in 'tangibles'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Ealing seem to be on quite the recruiting spree. Taking a proper run at promotion next season I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Bazzo wrote: »
    Ealing seem to be on quite the recruiting spree. Taking a proper run at promotion next season I presume.
    Probably are. Mad considering it will only be their fourth season playing at championship level.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Legion2008

Probably are. Mad considering it will only be their fourth season playing at championship level.

Get in before it becomes a closed shop and relegation/promotion is scrapped ..... otherwise what's the point

• Advertisement

What are Ealing going to do about a stadium? Their home ground is tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Wow just reading they are a Mutual Society. That's interesting, but it must make it difficult to raise funding? Anyone know how that is structured?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I've played against Ealing, and I'm absolutely rubbish, so that shows just how meteoric their rise has been!
    errlloyd wrote: »
    Wow just reading they are a Mutual Society. That's interesting, but it must make it difficult to raise funding? Anyone know how that is structured?

I'd say there's little chance of it surviving at the highest level, but I'd absolutely love to be proven wrong. Maybe they might get some philanthropic investment, must be a few whales in the area!

I wonder if they might be an ideal partner for Brentford for a groundshare.

I'd say there's little chance of it surviving at the highest level, but I'd absolutely love to be proven wrong. Maybe they might get some philanthropic investment, must be a few whales in the area!

I wonder if they might be an ideal partner for Brentford for a groundshare.

Would that be similar to how the Green Bay Packers and most German Soccer teams are set up?

Would that be similar to how the Green Bay Packers and most German Soccer teams are set up?

Yeah the Packers were the first thing I thought of. I think it really would struggle to deal with barriers to entry for modern professional sports. The NFL's system effectively protects the Packers, not sure what protects the Germans!

• Advertisement

Yeah the Packers were the first thing I thought of. I think it really would struggle to deal with barriers to entry for modern professional sports. The NFL's system effectively protects the Packers, not sure what protects the Germans!

They have a rule where 50+1 of the clubs shares have to be owned by members. The exceptions are Leverkusen and Wolfsburg that are owned by companies (Bayer and Volkswagen). RB Leipzig gets around it by restricting membership arbitrarily, and therefore all their current members are employees of Red Bull.

I believe if a member has been a member for 30 years or something, they can buy a controlling share. Which is currently happening at Hannover 96. That's why I know all this, I spend a lot of time in Hannover.

Aren't Barcelona somewhat similar? I don't follow football at all but I thought they were collectively owned?

Aren't Barcelona somewhat similar? I don't follow football at all but I thought they were collectively owned?

I know Real Madrid are anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Brad Weber

https://twitter.com/brad_weber9/status/986178316716527617

Oh lordy lord this has taken a turn

Looks like he's deleted his account?

Still there for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Still there for me

I'm getting a technical error page now. Weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I don't know if this was shared already, but Folau has written a pretty interesting piece on all this, explaining why he said that stuff and what role religion plays in his life.

https://www.playersvoice.com.au/israel-folau-im-a-sinner-too/#r63R7RlRAwxw12sy.97

Yeah it's a pretty well written piece to be fair to him. I mean as has been pointed out, Folau has had no problem posing on the cover of LGBTQ magazines in the past so his stance seems to have hardened in recent times, maybe that was related to the marriage debate they had down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

No, in fact he's doubled up
    https://twitter.com/brad_weber9/status/986178318994059265

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Why don’t the Irish provinces have nicknames?

Leinster Leopards
    Munster Mongeese
    Connacht Chamaleons
    Ulster Urials

Hmmm. Maybe nicknames are actually pretty stupid come to think of it.

• Advertisement

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Why don’t the Irish provinces have nicknames?

Leinster Leopards
    Munster Mongeese
    Connacht Chamaleons
    Ulster Urials

Hmmm. Maybe nicknames are actually pretty stupid come to think of it.

Leinster were branded as the "Leinster Lions" around 15 years ago. It was diabolical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Leinster were branded as the "Leinster Lions" around 15 years ago. It was diabolical.

It brought Leo the Lion into existence. And he's comical

Synode wrote: »
    It brought Leo the Lion into existence. And he's comical

When he can stay fit...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

When he can stay fit...

Is SOB = Leo?????

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

When he can stay fit...

Wouldn’t be a suitable Leinster mascot if he didn’t get injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Hopefully the West Country teams go all in. Gloucester Vikings and Bath Packers?
    Just as well there isn't a team called Fudge instead of Bath.:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Some very long bans from that Spain/Belgium game:
    An independent committee issued the bans with scrum-halves Sébastien Rouet and Guillaume Rouet receiving a 43-week suspension and 36-week suspension respectively for physical abuse of a Match Official and verbal abuse.

Pierre Barthere, Lucas Guillaume and Mathieu Belie have all been suspended for 14 weeks for their part in the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Some very long bans from that Spain/Belgium game:

Guess they didn’t have much choice, can’t allow that stuff to go on with refs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

stephen_n wrote: »
    Guess they didn’t have much choice, can’t allow that stuff to go on with refs.

Yeah absolutely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

jacothelad wrote: »
    Just as well there isn't a team called Fudge instead of Bath.:D:D:D

Careful now Mr Folau

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement