Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Seems like a red card all day with the current rules. Initial contact to the head.

Clear red alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭ongarite

That's a bad bad miss

Looking like back-to-back draws between these teams. Has that happened before in internationals?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Pity about the weather.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,124 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Basil3 wrote: »
    Looking like back-to-back draws between these teams. Has that happened before in internationals?

Did we do back to back draws with France in the 2000s?

Edit : just checked, we did in 2012 and 2013

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ireland's try Vs Italy wins World Rugbys Men's XV try of the decade.

https://twitter.com/WorldRugby/status/1336053240815886338?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

McCaw got player of the decade

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

That team. Imagine if they had their peak years together

https://twitter.com/WorldRugby/status/1336059133741641731?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The team of the decade is a bit farcical. BOD retired in 2014 and George North somehow got in despite being pretty mediocre for years. As much as I like Murray the 9 jersey absolutely should've went to Aaron Smith. The worst call is Parisse at number 8. Kieran Read won World Player of the Year, two World Cups and God knows how many Rugby Championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Clegg wrote: »
    The team of the decade is a bit farcical. BOD retired in 2014 and George North somehow got in despite being pretty mediocre for years. As much as I like Murray the 9 jersey absolutely should've went to Aaron Smith. The worst call is Parisse at number 8. Kieran Read won World Player of the Year, two World Cups and God knows how many Rugby Championships.
    I dont think O Driscoll retiring in 14 should discount him.
    He was still key to 2 european titles, a 6 nations.
    North scored 40 or so tries in internationals in the decade. That says a lot. Should be picked for that alone

• Advertisement

George North was never even nominated for player of the year at any stage. Julian Savea was nominated back to back in 2014/15. Read won it in 2013 ahead of Parisse. Couple really dodgy decisions there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Yeah those were the 4 calls I was questioning myself. Bit if a farce not having Read and Aaron Smith in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Was done by popular vote, no? Or is that just the player of the decade?

hahashake wrote: »
    Was done by popular vote, no? Or is that just the player of the decade?

Nah the teams are picked by the world rugby award panel, the players awards were fan vote.

• Administrators Posts: 53,460 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Nah the teams are picked by the world rugby award panel, the players awards were fan vote.

That team was picked by a panel and doesn't include Kieran Read?

Conor Murray at 9? :pac:

Read, if they had any sense, would be player of the decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

awec wrote: »
    That team was picked by a panel and doesn't include Kieran Read?

Conor Murray at 9? :pac:

Read, if they had any sense, would be player of the decade.

If they made 15 uncontroversial picks nobody would talk about it. It’s a meaningless thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Read and Smith were probably the 2 best players across the whole 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

you’re talking about it, they’ve achieved what they set out to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Sure Jessy Tremouliere won women’s player of the decade yet isn’t in the team of the decade. The whole event is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

you’re talking about it, they’ve achieved what they set out to do.

Must...not... hijack... thread... with... Limmy... clips....

> grinds teeth, closes YouTube window with "steel is heavier than feathers" sketch <

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The fact that Parisse is even in the discussion despite playing for Italy is significant IMO. He was a special player and I don't think it's that much of an outrage tbh.

I'm sure Read will console himself with his refuse sack full of medals and honours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I dont think O Driscoll retiring in 14 should discount him.
    He was still key to 2 european titles, a 6 nations.
    North scored 40 or so tries in internationals in the decade. That says a lot. Should be picked for that alone

Conrad Smith was vital to 2 RWC wins and multiple Rugby Championships but I'll give you BOD.
    North scored 43 tries in 101 tests. Savea scored 46 tries in 54 tests.
    I agree with most here that Aaron Smith and Read can feel hard done by.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The fact that Parisse is even in the discussion despite playing for Italy is significant IMO. He was a special player and I don't think it's that much of an outrage tbh.

I'm sure Read will console himself with his refuse sack full of medals and honours.

I think he got in because he played for Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Steve Diamond gone from Sale Sharks

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

I don't know if it was injuries or just age but Read 2015-2019 wasn't the player he was in 2010-2015. Have to wonder if Poite blew the penalty on Owens, whether the latter part of Read's career might be viewed slightly more favourably. He was still a very good player, just not the standout he once was.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Conrad Smith was vital to 2 RWC wins and multiple Rugby Championships but I'll give you BOD.
    North scored 43 tries in 101 tests. Savea scored 46 tries in 54 tests.
    I agree with most here that Aaron Smith and Read can feel hard done by.

I saw someone on Twitter make the case for Jon Davies at 13, and I found it hard to disagree with tbh, definitely in the conversation also.

FACECUTTR wrote: »

Huge change for them, been their director for 10 years.

FACECUTTR wrote: »

Very sudden.

He's built that team up very much in his image.

I wonder whats going on

I'm a happy bunny this morning.

Two gold tickets secured for the lions v Japan game in June... something to look forward after a barren 2020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Very sudden.

He's built that team up very much in his image.

I wonder whats going on

The article says personal reasons. He has put massive work into the whole setup and they have a phenomenal squad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement