Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

aloooof wrote: »
    It might be green tinted specs, but have we had anyone as egregiously bad? (Trevor Brenan is the obvious one that comes to mind). But I don't think we've had anyone as bad captaining Ireland or the provinces, at least?

I've always found him getting the captaincy at odds with his discipline problems. He's got a whole section in his Wikipedia entry titled "Controversy" that starts:

"Hartley has had his fair share of disciplinary problems over the years, amounting to a total of 60 banned weeks since 2007". That's an crazy about of bans for a captain to give away.

I don’t think he ever did anything as bad as Clohessy...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Anyone else getting a bit tired of the whole "Who should Japan join, the Six Nations or the Rugby Championship?" conversation (not necessarily here)?

How about neither. They've had a great tournament, but they had some significant advantages along the way. Huge home crowd advantage. An insanely long time in camp beforehand. Let's just say "friendly" refereeing decisions. Last tournament they had one amazing result against SA and two wins against poor USA and Samoa teams.

Fiji and Samoa* have both reached the quarters twice before, nobody's going on about them. I'd be raging if I was Fiji and Japan got a seat at the top table. I get that its a massive audience and buckets of money to be made but let's just wait 4 years to see if they maintain their level of competition (hopefully they do maintain it because they play some lovely rugby) instead of boosting them straight away.

I realise this might sound bitter after our loss to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Felix Jones is God.

Neither Fiji, nor Samoa have the finances, or the potential audience that Japan offers the world game

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I get that its a massive audience and buckets of money to be made
    Neither Fiji, nor Samoa have the finances, or the potential audience that Japan offers the world game

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

jr86 wrote: »
    Italy away in next year's 6n..

A Scottish wooden spoon could well be on the cards?

No way
    They’re going to win it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Anyone else getting a bit tired of the whole "Who should Japan join, the Six Nations or the Rugby Championship?" conversation (not necessarily here)?

How about neither. They've had a great tournament, but they had some significant advantages along the way. Huge home crowd advantage. An insanely long time in camp beforehand. Let's just say "friendly" refereeing decisions. Last tournament they had one amazing result against SA and two wins against poor USA and Samoa teams.

Fiji and Samoa* have both reached the quarters twice before, nobody's going on about them. I'd be raging if I was Fiji and Japan got a seat at the top table. I get that its a massive audience and buckets of money to be made but let's just wait 4 years to see if they maintain their level of competition (hopefully they do maintain it because they play some lovely rugby) instead of boosting them straight away.

I realise this might sound bitter after our loss to them.

I agree with you 100%, but just going to throw some counterpoints out there for the sake of discussion.

There's been plenty of calls for Fiji and Samoa to get proper recognition and the Pacific Islands in general, whether it's player assistance or more games against tier 1 teams, however, to get any of the PI nations into a stable competitive state World Rugby would essentially have to bring in sanctions against the government in these countries, and remove any political involvement in the running of the rugby unions. This poses a problem in multiple forms, one being the money that would be received as a result of being in these competitions going straight into the pockets of politicians and no investment being made in the game or to the players. There's also little to no financial incentive for SANZAAR to take them on.

Japan on the other hand have shown they're willing to invest in their setup, and have a massive market potential, as well as being a relative promise in terms of performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Union is going to lose Samoa and Tonga to rugby league in the near future if they just keep ignoring them as they have been. What they do will take time and brainpower to decide but unless things change Union will fall far behind in these places

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Whatever happened to that young Irish hooker who went to Saracens a few years back and was dropped from the U20’s? Tadhg McIlroy?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

clsmooth wrote: »
    Whatever happened to that young Irish hooker who went to Saracens a few years back and was dropped from the U20’s? Tadhg McIlroy?

Back with Clontarf I think, went on loan and then was released. It was talked about a few weeks back somewhere around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

clsmooth wrote: »

Playing with Clontarf in the AIL, went out on loan last season from Saracens to Bedford in the Championship and was released on his return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Sarries win away at Gloucester as expected but fail to get the bonus point. another point dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Sarries win away at Gloucester as expected but fail to get the bonus point. another point dropped.

They haven't won there in 4 years until today...

Very emphatic result, without the big guns

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

I watched some of the game and Glaws were awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

jr86 wrote: »
    They haven't won there in 4 years until today...

Very emphatic result, without the big guns

well i expected them to win, didn’t check the odds.

haven’t been overly impressed with Glaws this season and Sarries were out to make a statement following the deduction. agree that the result was emphatic, not getting the BP when they were very close to it will irk them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Cheetahs picked up another red card for a shoulder charge to the head at the breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Bazzo wrote: »
    Cheetahs picked up another red card for a shoulder charge to the head at the breakdown.

Outrageous "challenge". Long ban should follow. Despicable stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

Glaws may have lost today but their fans certainly won, credit to reddit

wdde13tqhox31.jpg

m2wxo08nxox31.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

For all the hype around Bristol the last two seasons, they're still looking very ordinary once again.
    Good enough at home, mixed to poor away.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

For all the hype around Bristol the last two seasons, they're still looking very ordinary once again.

Basics are crap.

Tigers are going down. They look completely clueless. Need Youngs and Tuilagi back in ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well well. Top of the league. Great win by Bristol.

• Advertisement

OldRio wrote: »
    Well well. Top of the league. Great win by Bristol.

Crazy stuff. Exeter just butchered so many good positions in the 2nd half. Bristol barely got out of their own half for the 2nd 40.

Well Bristol end up winning by the slimmest of margins,kind of ruining my point :D
    But Exeter where hopeless in the 2nd half.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Crazy stuff. Exeter just butchered so many good positions in the 2nd half. Bristol barely got out of their own half for the 2nd 40.
    Blowing a 17-0 half time lead at home in inexcusable

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Scythica

Bristol did look good. Very much the same template Lam brought in with Connacht.

London Irish looked mightily impressive against Tigers. Naholo was a helluva signing, phipps and PJ looked pretty sharp and one of their other backs had serious gas for a full pitch intercept

• Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Quite honestly one of the most unexpected tweets I've ever read.

https://twitter.com/EricIdle/status/1193285172768034816?s=19

Clegg wrote: »
    Quite honestly one of the most unexpected tweets I've ever read.

https://twitter.com/EricIdle/status/1193285172768034816?s=19
    Try reading some of the replies. There really are some delusional Sarries fans out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

"...popularising of rugby generally"

That's more nutty than anything ever written on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,122 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

"...popularising of rugby generally"

That's more nutty than anything ever written on this forum.
    Well it is a Monty Python sketch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement