Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭swiwi_

No Irish refs selected for the world cup.....

h4rgkzp7hrw21.png

I personally think this is the best ref panel yet for a RWC. It looks merit based rather than simply picked on experience. From a NZ point of view glen Jackson has missed out and I would say rightly so, the nz refs picked here are simply reffing better in recent times.

You would think Barnes or garces or poite would get the final.

• Administrators Posts: 53,527 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No Clancy. Shocking.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,241 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

lets see how garces gets on with the pressure of the final on saturday....

the best result will be no one mentioning him after the game... however i fear it will be all about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

There are a few names there that I don't recognise. Does anyone here want to a list showing what countries they are all from? I'm far too lazy to do my own research :D

Angus Gardner might be chance for the final. If he has a good tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Andrew brace
    He hasn't been selected as a referee

• Advertisement

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    There are a few names there that I don't recognise. Does anyone here want to a list showing what countries they are all from? I'm far too lazy to do my own research :D

Angus Gardner might be chance for the final. If he has a good tournament.

give us a list of who you dont know first :P:P:P:P

He hasn't been selected as a referee

what does the R stand for in AR?

all ARs are available to referee

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

I would have liked to see Joy Neville on the panel.

She already runs tier 2 tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I personally think this is the best ref panel yet for a RWC. It looks merit based rather than simply picked on experience. From a NZ point of view glen Jackson has missed out and I would say rightly so, the nz refs picked here are simply reffing better in recent times.

You would think Barnes or garces or poite would get the final.

How does Peyper keep getting high level games? Consistently delivers shockers.

give us a list of who you dont know first :P:P:P:P

FFS Syd!! I already told you I was lazy :mad:

I wouldn't be too familiar with the ARs. Some of the names I recognise but I can't think which comp they usually ref in.

• Advertisement

FFS Syd!! I already told you I was lazy :mad:

I wouldn't be too familiar with the ARs. Some of the names I recognise but I can't think which comp they usually ref in.

dickson and carley are english Prem refs.

anselmi is an argie super rugby ref, as is picerell (NZ) and Kubo (Jap)

Ruiz is french. Brace is IRFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

troyzer wrote: »
    I would have liked to see Joy Neville on the panel.

She already runs tier 2 tests.

Yeah but she squealed on McFadden.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,620 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

antietam1 wrote: »
    Yeah but she squealed on McFadden.

Was the other touch judge, Eddie Hogan O’Connell, that flagged for the foul actually. Neville was on the other side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Bazzo wrote: »
    Is Austin Healy the worst commentator in rugby? He's been commentating in the Bath Wasps game here and the number of times he says something that is just plain incorrect or moronic and there's an awkward silence as his co commentators don't want to correct him and make him look like an idiot on live TV. How on earth is he still in a job??

He was right about the disallowed Wasps try though! Crazy decision, when it's as borderline as that one was, the benefit should always go with the attacking team.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

Was the other touch judge, Eddie Hogan O’Connell, that flagged for the foul actually. Neville was on the other side.

Was not being serious.

dickson and carley are english Prem refs.

anselmi is an argie super rugby ref, as is picerell (NZ) and Kubo (Jap)

Ruiz is french. Brace is IRFU.

I recognised the names Carley and Brace but couldn't remember from which comp. Maybe I watch too much rugby. Maybe.

I do remember quite liking the refereeing in SR of a Japanese ref (I assume it was Kubo) and an Argentinian ref (I wrongly thought Ruiz but was probably Anselmi). Can't remember any matches involving Brace, Dickson, Picerell or Ruiz. Maybe that means they did a really good job.

I recognised the names Carley and Brace but couldn't remember from which comp. Maybe I watch too much rugby. Maybe.

I do remember quite liking the refereeing in SR of a Japanese ref (I assume it was Kubo) and an Argentinian ref (I wrongly thought Ruiz but was probably Anselmi). Can't remember any matches involving Brace, Dickson, Picerell or Ruiz. Maybe that means they did a really good job.

picerell did the crusaders / sharks game last friday morning.

a lot of whinging from the crusaders after about how the sharks kept winning scrum penalties against them.

youd see a lot of brace in the pro14, i like him i think hes a calm ref with good communication.

ruiz doesnt have great english so we dont see him much in champions cup of tier 1 tst games.

i dont know much of dickson ... there are quite a few good young english refs out there but i wouldnt have recognised him as one of them.

picerell did the crusaders / sharks game last friday morning.

a lot of whinging from the crusaders after about how the sharks kept winning scrum penalties against them.

youd see a lot of brace in the pro14, i like him i think hes a calm ref with good communication.

ruiz doesnt have great english so we dont see him much in champions cup of tier 1 tst games.

i dont know much of dickson ... there are quite a few good young english refs out there but i wouldnt have recognised him as one of them.

I missed the Crusaders v Sharks match. It didn't record. I suspect the missus may have tampered with the Sky box :mad:

Crusaders (and their fans) are always whinging about something. Just look at Swiwi :D

I just hope that none of O'Keefe, Williams and Pickerill are involved in the final of the RWC. Or any French refs but for a different reason.

looking at the 12 refs, id only have one of the four of barnes, gardner, pearce and garces as actually be good enough to ref the final.
    and of those four i think garces and gardner could sh!t themselves... so barnes or pearce for me.

looking at the 12 refs, id only have one of the four of barnes, gardner, pearce and garces as actually be good enough to ref the final.
    and of those four i think garces and gardner could sh!t themselves... so barnes or pearce for me.

Until quite recently, I'd have added Nigel to that list, but some of his performances this season have led me to conclude that his days at the top of his profession are numbered.

In fairness, when he was good he was very, very good. And he was good for a long time.

• Advertisement

I missed the Crusaders v Sharks match. It didn't record. I suspect the missus may have tampered with the Sky box :mad:

Crusaders (and their fans) are always whinging about something. Just look at Swiwi :D

I just hope that none of O'Keefe, Williams and Pickerill are involved in the final of the RWC. Or any French refs but for a different reason.

I hope there are no NZ refs in the final...

I hope there are no NZ refs in the final...

And I hope that there are no NZ players!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Jewelers

no clancy, say hes very upset

Squatter wrote: »

So you're hoping for South Africa v Argentina in the final?

So you're hoping for South Africa v Argentina in the final?

Japan vs Uruguay.

NZ vs Ireland for the 3rd/4th place match.

Squatter wrote: »

You don't want Ireland in the final, so :D

You don't want Ireland in the final, so :D

Good point!

For the record, I'm not all that keen on seeing any SH mercenaries/plastic paddies on the Irish team, but the ship has sailed on that one. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

https://twitter.com/theblitzdefence/status/1126448782558863360

Richmond Council are very unhappy with the behaviour of some fans at the recent Army vs Navy game.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,620 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

razorblunt wrote: »
    Richmond Council are very unhappy with the behaviour of some fans at the recent Army vs Navy game.

It's renowned as the biggest piss-up of the year in terms of Rugby matches in England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

I predict Barnes to get the final as his "swansong". Retiring after the WC

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement