Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Israel Folau spoke at a ceremony for his church this morning, obviously some of the stuff is a bit out of kilter compared to an interview with the media, given the setting, but it seems he's fairly set on his beliefs and shows no remorse or empathy for the comments he made.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-union/i-m-more-than-happy-to-do-what-he-wants-me-to-do-unrepentant-folau-20190414-p51dyw.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Israel Folau spoke at a ceremony for his church this morning, obviously some of the stuff is a bit out of kilter compared to an interview with the media, given the setting, but it seems he's fairly set on his beliefs and shows no remorse or empathy for the comments he made.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-union/i-m-more-than-happy-to-do-what-he-wants-me-to-do-unrepentant-folau-20190414-p51dyw.html

It's scary that a guy with a malfunctioning brain is as stacked as he is, could do serious damage to someone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

I think the main thing we can take from this whole debacle is that....
    Folau...and his opinion...are so far out of step with the views of the majority....that it's actually heartening to see!
    If this had happened 30 years ago we'd have had every Catholic priest in Ireland praising both him and his message....
    I find the whole debacle as being nothing more than another nail in the coffin that is organised western religion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Erik Shun wrote: »
    I think the main thing we can take from this whole debacle is that....
    Folau...and his opinion...are so far out of step with the views of the majority....that it's actually heartening to see!
    If this had happened 30 years ago we'd have had every Catholic priest in Ireland praising both him and his message....
    I find the whole debacle as being nothing more than another nail in the coffin that is organised western religion

Well the rest of sharpshooter is so OP that they couldn't give you a one-shot gun as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭Christy42

Aside from anything else I would see it as an attack on any lgbt workers in the ARU. You can't verbally attack colleagues publicly like that and expect hr not to get involved.

If anyone states that you should burn in hell for who you are you shouldn't be forced to work with them to keep your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

God that's in control of all things,"

The typical crap . Usually followed when questioned about all the totally evil **** that would then be gods direct doing with " well God tests us" yeah, by giving kids diseases or letting them be abused. Nice one God.
    It's a wonder he had to train at all if God was deciding the outcome anyway. Surely because hes such a good boy he should have won every game he played?
    I can't change what the word of God says

Suppose you can take that 2 ways. Either the bible is bull**** written by some lads 2000 years ago and is very much not the word of God.

Or you absolutely can change what the word of God says or there wouldnt be more than one set of beliefs in christianity , let alone have more than 1 religion.

• Administrators Posts: 53,507 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Damian MacKenzie out of the World Cup for New Zealand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

awec wrote: »
    Damian MacKenzie out of the World Cup for New Zealand.

That's a loss for rugby. He is blockbuster. He makes NZ more exciting while not necessarily making them much better persay.

I'd imagine all of New Zealand is begging for Beauden to be wrapped in bubble wrap from now until August.

Disappointed we won't get to see McKenzie on the big stage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Originally Posted by Israel Folau
    I can't change what the word of God says...

That may be, but like every other person who subscribes to religion, he either picks and chooses which god and what words, or they're chosen for him by dint of his birth.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭swiwi_

errlloyd wrote: »
    That's a loss for rugby. He is blockbuster. He makes NZ more exciting while not necessarily making them much better persay.

Per se...

I think his best role is (was :() super sub 15. Not a good enough 10 for international rugby.

But less chance of a stupid intercept or getting caught behind the gain line. Also less chance of scoring a match winning try out of nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Per se...

I think his best role is (was :() super sub 15. Not a good enough 10 for international rugby.

But less chance of a stupid intercept or getting caught behind the gain line. Also less chance of scoring a match winning try out of nothing.

I agree with this. I don't think dmac is a top level 10 and I think Mo'unga is a far superior player to him.

But neither of those boys have a patch on Barrett and all the calls I saw to have Barrett shifted to 15 to make room for one of these fellas was absolute lunacy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The typical crap . Usually followed when questioned about all the totally evil **** that would then be gods direct doing with " well God tests us" yeah, by giving kids diseases or letting them be abused. Nice one God.
    It's a wonder he had to train at all if God was deciding the outcome anyway. Surely because hes such a good boy he should have won every game he played?

Suppose you can take that 2 ways. Either the bible is bull**** written by some lads 2000 years ago and is very much not the word of God.

Or you absolutely can change what the word of God says or there wouldnt be more than one set of beliefs in christianity , let alone have more than 1 religion.
    Has Pocock made any statement? His absence has been noted

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

razorblunt wrote: »
    Has Pocock made any statement? His absence has been noted

It would be dodgy territory for any fellow employee at Rugby Australia to make any comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

It would be dodgy territory for any fellow employee at Rugby Australia to make any comment.

Pocock is an extremely sensible fella.

You'd have to have a screw loose as a key Australian player to chime in on this one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I think most know Pococks views on such matters but he’s also right to stay out of this publicly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭deezell

It's official. Israel Folau is Heading to Ulster. He'll be joining his new team there in time for the big European event in May. Not the champions cup, or Ulster rugby.
    He's joining the DUP, in time for the European, elections. Marlene and the gang will meet him at the Airport, with a big welcome cake baked by Ashers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 patoh1

Pocock is an extremely sensible fella.

You'd have to have a screw loose as a key Australian player to chime in on this one way or the other.

Exactly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-union/folau-responds-to-rugby-australia-breach-notice-20190417-p51f0g.html

Folau intends to challenge his dismissal. That's his right, of course, but it makes an absolute show of his previous claims that he'd walk away.

He's a bit of a chancer now, is our Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Legion2008

No, it's about negotiating a compensation package for the remainder of his contract.

If he doesn't contest it then they're be none ..... he'll have accepted that he breached his contract and therefore not entitled to any severance.

Legion2008 wrote: »
    No, it's about negotiating a compensation package for the remainder of his contract.

If he doesn't contest it then they're be none ..... he'll have accepted that he breached his contract and therefore not entitled to any severance.

Yup. ARU didn't pay out any severance, was always going to be contested. Hence why Jackson/Olding got a pay out to go quietly.

Legion2008 wrote: »

I understand that, but at the time of his previous issues, he made a big virtue of being prepared to walk away from his contract such was his conviction and piety. Now that it's actually happening and there's a lot more money at stake, with no likely offers elsewhere, he's not quite as Gandhi-esque.

It was all bollocks, basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

I agree with this. I don't think dmac is a top level 10 and I think Mo'unga is a far superior player to him.

But neither of those boys have a patch on Barrett and all the calls I saw to have Barrett shifted to 15 to make room for one of these fellas was absolute lunacy

Mo'unga is a better tactical player than Barrett - or at least his equal. Though probably helps he plays behind a better pack.
    I understand that, but at the time of his previous issues, he made a big virtue of being prepared to walk away from his contract such was his conviction and piety. Now that it's actually happening and there's a lot more money at stake, with no likely offers elsewhere, he's not quite as Gandhi-esque.

It was all bollocks, basically.
    I would be very surprised if he couldn't pick up a contract in France or Japan. Not sure how much media coverage this has in France but I doubt it has made headlines in Japan.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,220 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

hahashake wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if he couldn't pick up a contract in France or Japan. Not sure how much media coverage this has in France but I doubt it has made headlines in Japan.

its making more headlines outside of australia than within actually.

if he wanted a rugby league contract there he could walk into one

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

sydthebeat wrote: »

Even with all the NRLs issues with player conduct I disagree with this, they would never touch Folau. They had actually had an openly gay player before union (Ian Roberts) and like AFL are publicly promoting inclusivity. Even if union has a low profile in Aus, it wouldn't go unnoticed if he went back to league.

sydthebeat wrote: »

Didn't the head of the NRL say they would refuse to register him?

• Advertisement

There's another incident of homophobia from a rugby player that occured at the Hong Kong 7s.

Barstool sports were doing a sort of mockumentary, and one of their presenters was dressed as Freddie Mercury, who met a lovely young chap who plays for Canterbury and was part of the NZ U-20 setup. Starts at 4:00 in the video below:

https://youtu.be/KgLgQVbm3WI?t=243

https://twitter.com/donniedoesworld/status/1118526084461383686?s=21

D4XUo5mWwAAV1JX.jpg:large

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement