Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I don't think so, I thought they were a part of the overall 6N package

Then why are RTE negoatiating with the IRFU about the scheduling?

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/irfu-rejects-rt%C3%A9-offer-of-prime-time-slot-for-women-s-rugby-1.3290639

EDIT: My understanding is that the u20 and women's 6 Nations being shown on RTE are a pre-requisite of the AIs being shown.

Montpellier getting hockeyed 21-0.

I don't understand French rugby. Why are teams so atrocious away from home.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Montpellier getting hockeyed 21-0.

I don't understand French rugby. Why are teams so atrocious away from home.

Is it the firsts? If there is a deep squad and everyone sends the seconds away (except 2-3 games that are targetted) then teams going away are going to be slaughtered.

Is it the firsts? If there is a deep squad and everyone sends the seconds away (except 2-3 games that are targetted) then teams going away are going to be slaughtered.

It's a strong team.

Missing internationals so their pack is a little depleted but their back line is:

Paillauge, Cruden, Tomane, Steyn, Dumoulin, Fall, Mogg

And they're losing 26-0

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

It's a strong team.

Missing internationals so their pack is a little depleted but their back line is:

Paillauge, Cruden, Tomane, Steyn, Dumoulin, Fall, Mogg

And they're losing 26-0

Sky commentators just apologised for the awful quality of the match :D

• Advertisement

I've noticed that forwards crawling a few inches on their knees when tackled seems to the new norm. Seen it across the Autumn tests, especially props. Healy was at it, but by no means the only one.
    Coaches must be telling them to fight for every inch in the tackle, but isn't this illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I've noticed that forwards crawling a few inches on their knees when tackled seems to the new norm. Seen it across the Autumn tests, especially props. Healy was at it, but by no means the only one.
    Coaches must be telling them to fight for every inch in the tackle, but isn't this illegal?

Technically yes, it's been standard for all players carrying in to contact for at least a couple of years now though and has been going unpunished.

It's only illegal if you're being held. There's certainly a lot of it happening where the player is held, but I think the reason it's not pinged more is because of that uncertainty making it difficult on the ref.

There's a bit of a gap in the current laws where we expect tacklers to roll away immediately, but also are effectively penalising them for rolling away too quickly.

It's only illegal if you're being held. There's certainly a lot of it happening where the player is held, but I think the reason it's not pinged more is because of that uncertainty making it difficult on the ref.

There's a bit of a gap in the current laws where we expect tacklers to roll away immediately, but also are effectively penalising them for rolling away too quickly.

You're not supposed to crawl along the ground regardless of whether you're held or not.

I agree about the gap in the laws though. Tackler is expected to immediately roll but at the same time has to hold to complete the tackle, it's a strange situation.

• Administrators Posts: 53,378 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There's also the little rolls on the ground that we seem to do to gain a metre or two after being tackled. I suspect they're also illegal, but just ignored?

• Advertisement

Bazzo wrote: »
    You're not supposed to crawl along the ground regardless of whether you're held or not.

I agree about the gap in the laws though. Tackler is expected to immediately roll but at the same time has to hold to complete the tackle, it's a strange situation.

You're not supposed to crawl around the ground but guys will get away with it for a bit because you can claim you were attempting to free yourself to get up, which is legal.

awec wrote: »
    There's also the little rolls on the ground that we seem to do to gain a metre or two after being tackled. I suspect they're also illegal, but just ignored?

When Ireland began to compete in the Sevens a few seasons ago, our players were being pinged a lot for taking just one roll before laying the ball back. Took them a while to get out of the habit. Seems strictly verboten in that code.

https://twitter.com/rugbytoulon_/status/934688134029221888

Castres and Toulon's head coaches aren't on the best of terms...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

He is going to earn himself a nice little ban for that if not more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    He is going to earn himself a nice little ban for that if not more.

Accidental contact, he was trying to swat a pesky fly

Accidental contact, he was trying to swat a pesky fly

Apparently he's flying the Lomu's over to attend the hearing with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,141 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Joy Neville has been named world rugby ref of the year

Fantastic achievement

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How do they choose ref of the year? Least number of negative comments on message boards?

How do they choose ref of the year? Least number of negative comments on message boards?

"So gentlemen, we've checked all the forums and it's very clear that John Lacey is the World Rugby Referee of the Year by a significant margin. I'm sure John will be...."

"Hang on, we forgot to check Ulster fans..."

"John Lacey has come last in the competition for World Rugby Referee of the Year"

Midol has asked the question, is it time for the Top 14 to be cut to the Top 12 in order to reduce the number of games on players?

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,819 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Your animation says it all. So long as there is breath in the bodies of the blazers at Biarritz and Perpignan, I cant see that happening.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,028 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/former-all-black-charles-piutau-could-play-for-tonga-at-the-2019-rwc/601210
    Players who have represented one country's national 15-a-side team, next fifteen-a-side team or senior sevens team have the chance to switch allegiance to another nation, provided they had a passport for the second country and have completed a stand-down period of three years.

Didn't Isa Nacewa try that?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Didn't Isa Nacewa try that?

They have to make their initial change in an Olympic event. Given that rugby only returned to the Olympics in 2016, it was never really an option to have a 34 year old getting a game for the NZ 7-a-side team.

Technically, he could have played a couple of qualifying tournament for Ireland and then been able to play for Ireland's full team if I understand the situation correctly.

It's an interesting loophole (and a bit of a farce) but technically you could see teams signing guys with a few caps who are relatively young and getting them into their national sides. Someone like Fekitoa, for example, would be a candidate I assume? Or Luatua?

Scott Williams signs for Ospreys, leaving Scarlets.

I have a feeling it's going to be a very fun day on Welsh Rugby Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He has really hit a rut in his career this season which is reflected in his place in the test pecking order. A change will probably benefit him.

Welsh regions have an incredible ability to fail to build on any promise or initial success. Cardiff, Scarlets and the Ospreys have all won trophies and looked very strong at respective points over the past 6 or 7 seasons yet inevitably find themselves falling apart within a few years of that success.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,028 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Scott Williams signs for Ospreys, leaving Scarlets.

I have a feeling it's going to be a very fun day on Welsh Rugby Twitter.

swapped with kieran fonitia :)

http://www.scarlets.co.uk/eng/news/12250.php#.Wh66nkrLyUl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

Every time I see Scott Williams this always pops into my head

BgEMTlsIAAERUIX.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Scott Williams, 5th choice center for Wales.
    Scott Williams, 4,985th choice Williams in Wales.

• Advertisement

Saw this on reddit, thought it was worth sharing here!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement