Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy Premier League Free hit advice?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Chesty08 wrote: »
    It's the Monday night game so I won't have to watch any more games and will be straight into a new GW.

I genuinely don't know what other team will keep a clean sheet from defenders 5.2 to 4.5m range

That is unless I chop Morata Hazard or Lacazette downgrade and upgrade to someone like Kolasinsc

Swap Mee with Mertrsscker

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

It's the Monday night game so I won't have to watch any more games and will be straight into a new GW.

I genuinely don't know what other team will keep a clean sheet from defenders 5.2 to 4.5m range

As with the others, my advice is to change one of your Burnley defenders. Maybe to Duffy, Simpson or even Moreno!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,133 ✭✭✭✭km79

Liverpool Brighton maybe
    Southampton even

I'm wondering now whether I should be going with double city attack this week ??????
    Sane and Jesus currently
    Moratta instead of Jesus perhaps ?

km79 wrote: »
    I'm wondering now whether I should be going with double city attack this week ??????
    Sane and Jesus currently
    Moratta instead of Jesus perhaps ?

I’ve steered clear of Jesus. I reckon Pep is going to go full troll and give him 55 minutes and Aguero 35!!

I’ve gone with Walker and Sané as my 2 City players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭GeordieRebel

Haven't committed to a free hit yet but can work a team of:

Courtois
    Otamendi - Montreal - Moreno
    Doucoure - Siggy - Salah - Sane - Sanchez (c)
    Vardy - Morata

Nice spread of teams. It's a skinny week with bad fixtures or this. Not sure.

Courtois
    Vardy - Morata

I think km79 summed it up best on the first page of the thread. Would you rather use your Free Hit to bring in Sanchez (c), Sané and Salah today or use it to bring in Robbie Brady and Joselu in a skinny week?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Courtois
    Vardy - Morata

It's dependent on your current squad and what you think they can muster.

Do you have Kane, Sterling, Aguero and Coutinho? Do you have a bench that doesn't play?

If yes, then imo you should use it.

Have a look at your team and see how many points you think it will get. If less than 45 with points hits included I'd strongly consider the free hit, as you should be hoping to make about 70 with your FH team.

Hard to predict these things obviously, but I'm using the FH as I'm predicting it will net me upwards of 25 points differential

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Firmino or Pedro? Trying to get a better mix. Currently

Pope
    Kolasinac Otamendi Gomez
    Sanchez Sane Salah Richarlison
    Jesus Vardy Firmino

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Latest Free Hit draft:
    Pope
    Kolasinic Otamendi Moreno
    Salah Dilva Zaha Richarlison Sanchez (c)
    Jesus Morata

Elliot Gomez Mariappa Quaner

Any advice?
    I know we all have similar mids.

Maybe Lacazette but unsure about double Arsenal attack.

• Advertisement

Latest Free Hit draft:
    Pope
    Kolasinic Otamendi Moreno
    Salah Dilva Zaha Richarlison Sanchez (c)
    Jesus Morata

Elliot Gomez Mariappa Quaner

Any advice?
    I know we all have similar mids.

Maybe Lacazette but unsure about double Arsenal attack.

Sane in for Silva stands out. The rest looks solid.

Weaken your bench if you need more funds for Sane.

I'm a little concerned about Morata and Jesus' playing time so I avoided them, but they probably should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Morzadec wrote: »
    Sane in for Silva stands out. The rest looks solid.

Weaken your bench if you need more funds for Sane.

I'm a little concerned about Morata and Jesus' playing time so I avoided them, but they probably should be fine

I wish I'd seen this before 11.30 :(

So how are my fellow Free Hitters looking?

I imagine it's a disappointing afternoon for most unless they went for Kolasinac as their Arsenal defender.

Sanchez blanking is very frustrating and was really going to be the thing to make or break it.

Will be up to 42 when the bonus come in. Need a 15 point game or so from Hazard to have made this worthwhile.

Haven't worked it out but I imagine I'll only be about 10 points better off come the end of the week which can certainly be deemed a waste of a Free Hit.

Hazard (in my free hit team) vs Morata (in my original team) in the next game will say a lot about whether this was a good move

I'll update later in the week but I'm happy so far
    49 with vardy moratta and pope to play

I get Jones back
    I get Alli for palace
    I am not stuck with sanchez and richarlson and an 8 point hit !

km79 wrote: »
    I'll update later in the week but I'm happy so far
    49 with vardy moratta and pope to play

I get Jones back
    I get Alli for palace
    I am not stuck with sanchez and richarlson and an 8 point hit !

49 with 3 to play sounds like a very good score for the week that's in it.

Will be interesting when all is said and done how much value the average poster managed to squeeze out of the FH

I’m currently 16 points up on where I would have been, but have 3 more players played.

Captain Sanchez was disappointing, but I would have captained Salah so not a huge loss.

Taking Jones out was annoying, but Moreno restricted the damage. The big gains were Sane (for Silva) and possibly Firmino (for Brady). I had Kolasinac anyway.

Hard to know how good or bad that is until we see how the skinny GWs work out.

Edit: current score is 54 from 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

I didn't play the Free Hit in the end as I wasn't sure what I wanted to do.
    Was too much of a rush as only started considering it Friday evening.
    I was already on -8 and didn't want to get the players I already sold back in.

I'm having a disaster of a week in any case so I'm going to put it in a spread sheet for my sanity, comparing my 3 possible teams.
    (i)Team A: as at 20/10 but only changing Kane out for Aguero
    (ii)Team B: now on -8 points
    (iii)Team C: Rushed Free Hit draft team

As it stands:
    Team A is on 28. Aguero (C) Morata (VC)
    Team B is on 26(-8). Aguero (C) Salah (VC)
    Team C is on 15. Sanchez (C)

I'm fairly happy with the core of Team B going forward so if I keep pace with Team A, I won't be feeling too sorry for myself.

Team A is very speculative anyway I made and early transfer of Aguero in for Lukaku before the Kane news Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

Happy with mine, didn't score massive but about 27 points better off so far having used it.

I'm on 39 (after bps) with hazard in this, pope, Duffy & vardy to go. My regular team would have gros, atsu & Elliot to go.

19 points up plus the -8 I saved.

Positives - despite not having a spectacular score, the free hit itself still gained me decent points on my regular team.
    - I don't have to transfer Kane back in next week as still have him.

Negative - I have to give Sane back now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,931 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Benimar wrote: »
    I think km79 summed it up best on the first page of the thread. Would you rather use your Free Hit to bring in Sanchez (c), Sané and Salah today or use it to bring in Robbie Brady and Joselu in a skinny week?

I think the free hit would be best used for an early DGW where you don’t want to be left with the team for the rest of the season. Something like GW32 last year.

I plan to keep the Wildcard+ bench boost for the late season DGW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭macraignil

Morzadec wrote: »
    So how are my fellow Free Hitters looking?

I imagine it's a disappointing afternoon for most unless they went for Kolasinac as their Arsenal defender.

Sanchez blanking is very frustrating and was really going to be the thing to make or break it.

Will be up to 42 when the bonus come in. Need a 15 point game or so from Hazard to have made this worthwhile.

Haven't worked it out but I imagine I'll only be about 10 points better off come the end of the week which can certainly be deemed a waste of a Free Hit.

Hazard (in my free hit team) vs Morata (in my original team) in the next game will say a lot about whether this was a good move

Not as bad as my free hit experience anyway. Bet on Sanchez as captain, two Watford midfielders and Man. City keeping clean sheet against West Brom. so looks like my free hit team will get less points than my normal team would have (not that that would have been great either). Only positive is Philips scored and so might get more game time and selling him was the free transfer that was canceled by the free hit. Reckon I'll give him a bit longer to get me some points now.

• Advertisement

can confirm 100% that transfers made before free hit also revert back
    welcome back Jones
    and miki with his price drop

Will end on 51 after bonus.

Not what I'd hoped but not too bad either, Hazard rescuing it a bit.

My main team would have likely ended in the mid-30s. So will make 15 points or so on the chip likely.

Probably not worth it based on my previous assessment of this chip being worth about 25 points. But the logic behind playing was sound, just the big investment in Arsenal didn't quite come off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

Free hit has been a disaster for me, 33pts with 2 to play.
    Proved very costly leaving out Hazard and Morata. Only 2 of my picks produced, Sane and to a lesser extent Zaha with an injury time goal.
    The rest:
    Sanchez(c) 4, Otamendi 0, Monreal 2, Richarlison 1, Jesus 1, Lacazette (still angry with myself for picking him) 2, Salah 4

My main team would have been on 36 -4, with 4 left to play

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

shineon23 wrote: »
    I didn't play the Free Hit in the end as I wasn't sure what I wanted to do.
    Was too much of a rush as only started considering it Friday evening.
    I was already on -8 and didn't want to get the players I already sold back in.

I'm having a disaster of a week in any case so I'm going to put it in a spread sheet for my sanity, comparing my 3 possible teams.
    (i)Team A: as at 20/10 but only changing Kane out for Aguero
    (ii)Team B: now on -8 points
    (iii)Team C: Rushed Free Hit draft team

As it stands:
    Team A is on 28. Aguero (C) Morata (VC)
    Team B is on 26(-8). Aguero (C) Salah (VC)
    Team C is on 15. Sanchez (C)

I'm fairly happy with the core of Team B going forward so if I keep pace with Team A, I won't be feeling too sorry for myself.

Team A is very speculative anyway I made an early transfer of Aguero in for Lukaku before the Kane news Friday.

Update on this
    Team A: 44. Atsu & Cedric to Play
    Team B: 37(-8) Rooney, Atsu & Cedric to Play
    Team C: 31 Rooney and Cedric to Play

So think I've kind of gotten away with staying with Team B with a lot of common players left to play between the 3 teams.

I've held my Free Hit chip, and will hopefully have a clearer plan for it and more funds to work with when I do play it.

Not too concerned with Team A's score as it involved not making my early transfer.

Will try factor in the change in prices/team value and if I decide to take a points hit to try get Kane back in for Palace.

As I said on the matchday thread the Salah penalty miss pretty much killed my gameweek. It was possible that I'd have been 14-20 points off depending on his potential BPS. (Team B-Aguero (C) Salah (VC))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Not sure how much benefit the free hit brought at the end of the day. Probably 10 points or so. But had great craic using the chip. Felt like week 1 all over again. Much more fun than all out attack. Hope they keep this one next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

It's gotten me an extra 30 points, with pope left to play tomorrow

26 vs 56

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

Def a success for me with vardy and hazard since I last posted.

57 vs 26 (-8) leaves me 39 points better off.
    Free hit team still has pope to play, regular wouldve had Elliot and atsu.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 650 ✭✭✭PVA

Looks like a small success for me, should end 15-20 points better off.

56 with Pope still to play, versus 45 (-4) all out on my old team. Chicharito and De Gea trolling me with 9 pointer's though!

Going with Sanchez and Walker over Kolasinac and Hazard was costly, can't get every decision right... Just glad to have a week that wasn't a total an utter disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 39,499 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

PVA wrote: »
    Looks like a small success for me, should end 15-20 points better off.

56 with Pope still to play, versus 45 (-4) all out on my old team. Chicharito and De Gea trolling me with 9 pointer's though!

Going with Sanchez and Walker over Kolasinac and Hazard was costly, can't get every decision right... Just glad to have a week that wasn't a total an utter disaster

Happy enough?

• Advertisement

(I'll assume Eliot picks up 2 points tonight for the below analysis)

For me it's 51 FH team vs 38 (-8) on regular team.

So with a 21 point profit, you could say it will likely be neither really a success or failure (probably leaning towards more of a failure however, especially if Eliot keeps a cleany tonight).

It's hard to analyse the week in isolation however, because part of the -8 I would've taken would have been to bring Sane in, which I'm now taking a 4 point hit to do this week, so should I recalculate that 38 (-8) to be a 38 (-4)? I would also have a FT this week which I could have used to improve my bench fodder.

To fund the move for Sane last week (had I not used FH) I would have ditched Davies. Instead I now ditch Monreal. Having Davies (Palace, H) instead of Monreal (City, a) should hopefully be worth 4 points. I would have also ditched Cout for Salah to try and get 11 players out so their upcoming returns need to be factored in.

Instead I now still have Coutinho and Davies, instead of Monreal and Salah had I not used the chip.

If Davies puts up a decent score against Palace next week and in the weeks to come (Spurs have some nice fixtures), and Coutinho can outscore Salah over the next few weeks I'll look back at the FH as a very shrewd move.

If Coutinho is injured longer term then again using this chip seems unwise as I'll have to take a 4 point hit to get him out at some point anyway.

TLDR: For me at least, it's very hard to analyse the benefit of using the chip in isolation of the week at hand because many of us used it so as not to dismantle much of our usual team. So the performances of players like Coutinho and Davies (who I would have subbed out had I not used FH) in the coming weeks will determine whether the FH at this stage was a good idea.

Advertisement