Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyre fitter (from Oponeo, camskill etc) - Cork city

Options
  • 25-10-2017 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭

Hi all - could anyone recommend a tyre fitter in Cork City that is happy to fit tyres purchased from the likes of Openeo.ie? I used to use the place on Forge Hill but they have stopped doing it. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

D&D detailing do it on the old Mallow Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

Jaysus, the place on Forge Hill used to be my go to place for all my tyre fittings - all online purchases. It's strange that they've stopped this. That would seem to be the opposite to how things should be going. I'm sure they have their reasons though.

Not in the city but I'd recommend Express Tyres near Shanbally/Rafeen although they can be a bit pricey. Give them a call first. I recently got 2 tyres I purchased from Tyreleader fitted and they did a great job. No new damage on the wheels (they're not perfect but no worse now). I'll be going back there to get 4 all weather tyres fitted to new rims.

I didn't go to D&D as the quote I got was very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

how much was the quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

Hebegeebee wrote: »
    Jaysus, the place on Forge Hill used to be my go to place for all my tyre fittings - all online purchases. It's strange that they've stopped this. That would seem to be the opposite to how things should be going. I'm sure they have their reasons though.

I brought 4 tyres (from Oponeo) to Jamie last week and he fitted them no hassle.

BArra wrote: »
    how much was the quote?

€20 + VAT per wheel.

• Advertisement

I brought 4 tyres (from Oponeo) to Jamie last week and he fitted them no hassle.

Interesting! Must be a very recent decision in that case or maybe they were too busy on the day in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Hebegeebee wrote: »

Yes, reasons are https://repakelt.ie/regulation/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,636 ✭✭✭✭listermint

grogi wrote: »

What does that have to do with it. Most fitters added disposal fee on

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

listermint wrote: »
    What does that have to do with it. Most fitters added disposal fee on

It has something to do with not just the disposal cost of tyres but adding up the numbers. For every used tyre that the fitter sends for recycling, they have to show proof of the sale of a brand new tyre going out the door. If a customer supplies their own tyres from say Oponeo, they can't show proof of that.
    Not sure what the consequences are for the fitter, but I think its just more hassle for them.

This place in Curraheen fitted 2 tyres from Eiretyres for me last week.

http://www.villagetyres.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

Ah ok - I'll give them a call so. My info is a bit stale I suppose, but some months back a friend of mine who also uses them told me they had stopped doing it when he went there with tyres, so he had to go elsewhere. I thought it was a real pity too as they are top notch there.

I'll give them a buzz later to see what the story is.

Thanks all for the other suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Pops_20 wrote: »
    It has something to do with not just the disposal cost of tyres but adding up the numbers. For every used tyre that the fitter sends for recycling, they have to show proof of the sale of a brand new tyre going out the door. If a customer supplies their own tyres from say Oponeo, they can't show proof of that.

That's exactly what it is. Another 'Green' effort that will backfire...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

grogi wrote: »
    That's exactly what it is. Another 'Green' effort that will backfire...

Not Green its another Repak job, they exist solely to allow retailers to sidestep the cost of taking back waste which was a EU directive.
    Once a retailer signs up to the scheme they don't have to accept packaging waste from the end user.
    I haven't looked through the tyres scheme but I can't imagine its going to be good for either consumers as they have to pay a levy or retailers as they have to go through a huge paper process for every tyre.
    Its going to be a huge burden on retailers and consumers alike.
    Who will benefit from this added levy/tax?
    have a guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Why do they care if you're buying new tyres or not? Someone might decide they're bringing the rims to the scrap metal and don't want new tyres on them

Do they not realise they're shooting themselves in the foot with this kind of craic? People will be inclined to light a match or dump them somewhere but bureaucrats don't see the negative affects of creating more bureaucracy at all

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Why do they care if you're buying new tyres or not? Someone might decide they're bringing the rims to the scrap metal and don't want new tyres on them

Do they not realise they're shooting themselves in the foot with this kind of craic? People will be inclined to light a match or dump them somewhere but bureaucrats don't see the negative affects of creating more bureaucracy at all

Its not the bureaucrats, its the government and their links with big business that has started this whole scheme.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Not Green its another Repak job, they exist solely to allow retailers to sidestep the cost of taking back waste which was a EU directive.
    [/URL]

What was the process before Repak?
    I always remember the cost of tyre recycling being included in the cost of fitting.
    I don't mind paying for that, why not pass the money directly to the tyre fitter and let them recycle the tyre, as was always the case?

I suppose the fitter could always pocket this fee and sell the tyres on as part worn or worse, just dump them illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

Maybe start a new thread on this one lads - this has gone off course fairly quickly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I'm a fan of Glounthaune Tyres -
    Rockgrove Ind. Estate, Little Island exit
    021 435 3940
    Only 2 minutes from the tunnel and I've never had a problem rocking up with internet rubber.

Today I was quoted €15 plus €3.50 (for disposal) per tyre.

I went back today to Express Tyres near Shanbally/Raffeen to get 4 new 17" AW tyres purchased online fitted to brand new rims. €15 per corner and absolutely no damage to the rims after fitting.
    I've had damage to the inner faces on new alloys before at other places due to how they were gripped the rim on the tyre fitting machine but not here so that was a major relief. Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 alfaboy155

Express tyres wanted 25 quid per tyre fitted and I was taking one back! Forge hill quoted 18.50 per tyre. I'll keep checking

got a tyre fitted to a new alloy (spare) for 10e in tallagh yesterday.
    + fiver tip

Good deal

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

got a tyre fitted to a new alloy (spare) for 10e in tallagh yesterday.
    + fiver tip

Good deal

Bit of a drive though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

Does anybody have recent info on a place in Cork that will fit tyres you bring them?

No damage to the alloy from fitting is a must.

Has D&D stopped?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

D + d still do it. Tyres at home in Douglas do it too. Used tyres at home last time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

BArra wrote: »
    Does anybody have recent info on a place in Cork that will fit tyres you bring them?

No damage to the alloy from fitting is a must.

Has D&D stopped?

Yeah we still do them at D&D, as long as they're new!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

Yeah we still do them at D&D, as long as they're new!

Where are ye located and how much a corner?

Ballincollig tyres have been doing it for me on both cars for last few years. Last time I went down he said he wasn't doing it anymore. He did it for me this time as I have been going to him for so long, but tbh his attitude wouldn't entice me to go back.

He cited extra disposal costs and losing other business while they did it. I wouldn't mind but I usually go in first thing Monday am when no one is around. This time I was waiting outside when he arrived to open up.

Was thinking of not buying online anymore if it is too much hassle. However I love the choice available so if someone reliable was still doing it I'd reconsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭AidanD12

Digging up this old thread to ask if anyone has any recent information of places that will fit tyres bought online and how much they charge.
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Whocare

AidanD12 wrote: »
    Digging up this old thread to ask if anyone has any recent information of places that will fit tyres bought online and how much they charge.
    Thanks in advance.

Is mallow any good to you

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭AidanD12

Ya Mallow suits grand. Is there someone that there that provides the service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Whocare

AidanD12 wrote: »
    Ya Mallow suits grand. Is there someone that there that provides the service

Give direct tyres mallow(give it Google) ring or message him on Facebook he do mobile fitting but he have place too where you can have them fitted it was around € 15 a tyre fitted . I got few tyres fitted few months ago by him and he said he would more or less when fitted be same price as if you bought online so next time I give him job he can order in any brand of tyre too he said

• Advertisement

Tyres at Home Donnybrook and Kelleher's Victoria Cross have fitted online bought tyres for me in the last year.
    The price varies from place to place but you're looking at between 12.50 and 20 euro per tyre.

Advertisement