Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a Professional Poker Player

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Dara I've really enjoyed this AMA. I don't run and the nearest I've come to Poker was losing badly at Brag (in the late 70s), but that blog post about your son really touched me.

Heartfelt best wishes to you and your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 4777777777

1) Doke The Barber
    It’s the good old days of a top-heavy Sunday Milly Final Table…
    You’re sitting comfortably in 2nd place with a 70x stack, just behind a relatively unknown Brazilian aggrotard chip leaders 75x stack. Incredibly 3rd place only has a 15x stack and the rest are all on shrapnel down to 9th who is nursing a miserly 2x stack.
    You’ve been playing for an incredible 12 hours and still the bubble hasn’t burst at this FT to send 9th home with a relatively paltry $10K (in relation to the top 3 spots, which are paying $350k, $250K & $175K respectively).
    You’ve as good as locked up quarter of a million dollars (at the very least), life is good.
    Sasha is enjoying have her belly rubbed circa 5am, that coffee machine in you grind box (stroke of genius), has never delivered such sweet tasting beans.
    You SB flat the aggrotards BTN 2.5x open with your 2 black Aces, ‘hoping’ the 15x BB stack just might squeeze, unfortunately he folds, you are HU.
    You XC the BTN’s full pot c bet on an A29r flop.
    You decide to min XR another full pot turn c bet when a King lands on a still rainbow board.
    To you utter disbelief (and sheer joy), he 3bet jams his entire 75x stack into the middle………
    ‘Daddy’s got the nut Sasha!!!! Daddy’s got the nuts!!!!’
    Sasha spring to all fours ‘confused’ by this sudden outburst in what had previously a totally silent night.
    You can’t hit that call button quickly enough………
    He tables 2 black Kings for set versus your over set. 
    His head is the only part of his body visible in the sinking sand, and you are now standing on it (with both feet).
    The river brings the case King………..
    All the air is sucked entirely out of your body in slow motion, gravity brings you crashing down to the floor with an almighty thud, Sasha is licking your face…..
    You hear an electronic buzzing noise.....
    When you open your eye’s, you are stood fully prostate.
    You see the upper half of your body staring back at you in the reflection of a large wall to wall barber’s mirror. 
    You have 2 ‘clients’ already seated in both of ‘your’ barber chairs. 
    To your left is Donald J Trump and to your right is David K Lappin.
    In your right hand is the source of the buzzing noise, electronic clippers (set to zero).
    You have 60 seconds to zero clip one of them……(Either one will remain fully silent throughout the cut and his head will be fully compliant to any angle you should chose to place it whilst clipping).
    Lappin is screaming at you – ‘WTF were you thinking????? ICM suicide!!!!!!! Yes, you were a 97.3% favourite, but the SB only had 2 fkn Big Blinds!!!!!!!!’
    Both will wake up at 7am completely oblivious to what has or hasn’t happened to their hair whilst they were asleep.
    The President has a state of the Nation speech to give today at 3pm Eastern Time, he will NOT be allowed to wear a wig for this speech.  Missing the speech is also NOT an option for him.
    Who is getting the clippers and why?
    2) If you were to run around the full coast of mainland Ireland would you choose clockwise or anti clockwise? 30 miles per day probably a bit tame for you (ha ha).  How many miles per day?
    3) Top 5 Favourite places to play poker in Ireland?
    4) Ever ran or played poker in Donegal?
    5) Edinburgh or Glasgow and why?
    6) Are you still leaving Brendan Behan his monthly tin of Guinness?
    **Can’t insert my blog link here for relevance/explanation of last question, (Must post > 50 posts ha ha before being allowed to insert hyper links etc BS) **
    Thanks for doing this DOKE, lotta good stuff.
    Carl.
    -😊

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭doke

9or10 wrote: »
    Dara I've really enjoyed this AMA.  I don't run and the nearest I've come to Poker was losing badly at Brag (in the late 70s), but that blog post about your son really touched me.

Heartfelt best wishes to you and your family.
    Thank you! I'm happy I managed to convey some of what it feels like to be parent to an autistic child.
    For anyone interested in hearing more, I also spoke about it at length on my Inspireland appearance: https://inspirelandpodcast.com/2016/11/29/e50-dara-o-kearney-poker-pro/

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Larry Bee

I've little or no interest in poker, but I'm really enjoying this AMA.

Thanks for your answers. :)

John

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭doke

4777777777 wrote: »
    1) Doke The Barber
    It’s the good old days of a top-heavy Sunday Milly Final Table…
    You’re sitting comfortably in 2nd place with a 70x stack, just behind a relatively unknown Brazilian aggrotard chip leaders 75x stack. Incredibly 3rd place only has a 15x stack and the rest are all on shrapnel down to 9th who is nursing a miserly 2x stack.
    You’ve been playing for an incredible 12 hours and still the bubble hasn’t burst at this FT to send 9th home with a relatively paltry $10K (in relation to the top 3 spots, which are paying $350k, $250K & $175K respectively).
    You’ve as good as locked up quarter of a million dollars (at the very least), life is good.
    Sasha is enjoying have her belly rubbed circa 5am, that coffee machine in you grind box (stroke of genius), has never delivered such sweet tasting beans.
    You SB flat the aggrotards BTN 2.5x open with your 2 black Aces, ‘hoping’ the 15x BB stack just might squeeze, unfortunately he folds, you are HU.
    You XC the BTN’s full pot c bet on an A29r flop.
    You decide to min XR another full pot turn c bet when a King lands on a still rainbow board.
    To you utter disbelief (and sheer joy), he 3bet jams his entire 75x stack into the middle………
    ‘Daddy’s got the nut Sasha!!!! Daddy’s got the nuts!!!!’
    Sasha spring to all fours ‘confused’ by this sudden outburst in what had previously a totally silent night.
    You can’t hit that call button quickly enough………
    He tables 2 black Kings for set versus your over set. 
    His head is the only part of his body visible in the sinking sand, and you are now standing on it (with both feet).
    The river brings the case King………..
    All the air is sucked entirely out of your body in slow motion, gravity brings you crashing down to the floor with an almighty thud, Sasha is licking your face…..
    You hear an electronic buzzing noise.....
    When you open your eye’s, you are stood fully prostate.
    You see the upper half of your body staring back at you in the reflection of a large wall to wall barber’s mirror. 
    You have 2 ‘clients’ already seated in both of ‘your’ barber chairs. 
    To your left is Donald J Trump and to your right is David K Lappin.
    In your right hand is the source of the buzzing noise, electronic clippers (set to zero).
    You have 60 seconds to zero clip one of them……(Either one will remain fully silent throughout the cut and his head will be fully compliant to any angle you should chose to place it whilst clipping).
    Lappin is screaming at you – ‘WTF were you thinking????? ICM suicide!!!!!!! Yes, you were a 97.3% favourite, but the SB only had 2 fkn Big Blinds!!!!!!!!’
    Both will wake up at 7am completely oblivious to what has or hasn’t happened to their hair whilst they were asleep.
    The President has a state of the Nation speech to give today at 3pm Eastern Time, he will NOT be allowed to wear a wig for this speech.  Missing the speech is also NOT an option for him.
    Who is getting the clippers and why?
    2) If you were to run around the full coast of mainland Ireland would you choose clockwise or anti clockwise? 30 miles per day probably a bit tame for you (ha ha).  How many miles per day?
    3) Top 5 Favourite places to play poker in Ireland?
    4) Ever ran or played poker in Donegal?
    5) Edinburgh or Glasgow and why?
    6) Are you still leaving Brendan Behan his monthly tin of Guinness?
    **Can’t insert my blog link here for relevance/explanation of last question, (Must post > 50 posts ha ha before being allowed to insert hyper links etc BS) **
    Thanks for doing this DOKE, lotta good stuff.
    Carl.
    -😊
    This is hilarious!
    1) Trump gets the clippers, because Lappin likes all kind of his hair and I like Lappin. The nature of our relationship has always been unique in the sense that we can scream blue murder at each other, much to the alarm of our other friends if they happen to witness it, over the most minor of disagreements, yet at the end whether we agree or disagree it's over and our friendship is entirely unaffected. So I'd be disappointed if he didn't scream ICM suicide, because he's a great friend who genuinely cares, and a financial coward.
    2) Clockwise. No idea why, that just seems the "right" way. I guess I'd aim for 60 miles a day.
    3) The Sporting Emporium, the Fitz, Killarney, CityWest, the Westbury (Malahide)
    4) Unfortunately not. In fact I think I've only been there once. Early in our marriage, I brought my wife to Glencolumcille. She found it a bit too lacking in fine restaurants so we ended up spending the rest of the week in Bundoran.
    5) I've never been to Glasgow but I've never met anyone from Glasgow I didn't like. Edinburgh is lovely too, very atmospheric. Can't really go wrong anywhere that's full of Scots.
    6) Yes lol. I assume from question you know I'm a distant relative of Behan

Thanks Carl, that was a blast.

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Thanks so much for taking the time to do the AMA Dara, I think everyone who took part enjoyed it and as a non-poker player, it was still an interesting read :)

Closing this up now, thanks everyone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement