Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

you ever been in a fight?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Never been in a fight, not even at school.
    I'm 51 now so chances are I won't be in a scrap anytime soon.
    I wouldn't hesitate to use force to protect my family if required though.

tumblr_maxvhz6fHj1rr8wbto1_500.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

joe stodge wrote: »
    well have you?
    did you win?

Oh yes, but only of the verbal variety with the missus, and she always wins :(

Don't argue with me or else? or else what?
    Or else no "cuddles" for a year!

OK you win.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

Life
    is a daily fight
    just get through

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The best way to avoid injury in a fight is to run away really fast before it begins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

No but I remember being about 16 and at one of the local discos. A group of girls came from a "rival" school and they were all standing around trying to intimidate a lot of girls. I was walking into a bathroom cubicle and one of the girls grabbed my hair and pulled me down to the ground. For some reason I thought she was joking so bizarrely my initial reaction was to burst out laughing. I think she thought I was a bit special so she just released her grip and left me alone.

I've never laid a hand on anyone in my life but have been tempted to deck someone in the face many a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Once with 2 pr1cks.

There was a shortcut through an old yard leading onto a housing estate.

It always had monster dogs that would look at you passing the gates.The look warned most from entering.The shortcut through the yard would cut 10mins off my journey.

I couldn't see the dogs today and 14yo me thought if I leg it, I should make it.

I climb the gate and land inside.Its about 100 feet to the estate wall.

I take a few pensive steps to get a feel for the place and I'm now 30 feet in.

Looking left and right, nothing.

50 feet in, halfway.

60 feet, relax.

70 feet, look behind.

71 feet.Oh balls.

Alsations are lovely dogs.This one was called kreuger according to everybody, after Freddy kreuger fame.

Kreuger was about 10 feet from me.Staring.Fooker silently followed me from the gate.

I didnt know what to do so for some reason I said calm now boy, calm.

Kreuger started to growl.

Dobermans are lovely dogs.I never knew this ones name so let's call him fear.

Fear was sprinting from the left.I literally sh!t myself on the spot and they new it.

Kreuger advanced and both dogs where in full flight.

So I'm now spinning around with a 50 kilo alsation hanging off my arm and while spinning the weight of kreuger tore the sleeve of my new xworx jacket.He landed with a yelp and continued to eat the sleeve.

Fear was straight in.As he was mid leap for my neck I put my other arm out.

While spinning around with 50 kilos of fear on my left arm, it also got torn off.Fear went flying into kreuger and both yelped.

No sleeves left.

I fookin legged it.Didnt look back.I was on top of the wall and over in seconds.

I looked back over and their​ playing tug of war with one sleeve yet they have two ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

More than I care to remember ......... I just hope my last one was my last one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

I'm not really one for fighting but have been in a few. One in primary school which wasn't really a fight. I got a sucker punch from a traveller and ended up with a broken jaw. 2 in secondary school which were even enough until they were broken up. Another then when I got jumped by 3 scrawny whippets as I walked out of a nightclub. They thought I was an easy target by myself but I was just walking ahead of a group of mates that had stopped at the cloakroom. They regretted it afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Always get the feeling that people in their 30's or 40's who've never been in a fight must have grown up in Castleknock or Monkstown and be imbued with that middle class confidence created by agency over your life and not being hemmed in by your surroundings, I'm completely passive and unaggressive and never wanted to fight anybody but have had at least 10 fights and feel like a 'pussy' about letting people off the hook when they deserved a clout but didn't get one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

I used to box at a pretty high level when I was younger so been in loads of proper fights so to speak and as many outside the ring too although haven't been in one in quite a while. Most recent one was a few years back...standard scumbag starts a fight outside the nightclub, a friend throws a punch back protecting himself before he gets jumped by all ya man's friends. We pelt ot across the street to help him as he'd getting his head kicked in. I knocked two of them out cold before getting tackled to the ground and getting the **** bate out of me before a mix of friends and security come to save me. Ended up with a broken nose and a huge deep cut by me eye as well as a split lip and brushes all over my body. Pales in comparison to my friend who fractured his skull. Nearly lost my job as well as a job I was going for due to the shades getting involved. We were nearly thrown out of college as well. Thankfully haven't had to jump in a fight like that since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Been in many scraps, some fairly hairy and have had to go to hospital twice.

I've not been in any since out of my teens. Many people will look askance at you if you admit to having been in any such situations. You're pegged as an oik.

I honestly couldn't have avoided any of the rows I was involved in, it was a almost a right of passage, and I'll admit, I sometimes found it exhillirating.

I actually find it odd that so many seem to have gone through life without having had to defend themselves from violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

dd972 wrote: »
    Always get the feeling that people in their 30's or 40's who've never been in a fight must have grown up in Castleknock or Monkstown and be imbued with that middle class confidence created by agency over your life and not being hemmed in by your surroundings, I'm completely passive and unaggressive and never wanted to fight anybody but have had at least 10 fights and feel like a 'pussy' about letting people off the hook when they deserved a clout but didn't get one.

Have just seen this. Eloquently put.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Indeed I have, just last night as it happens.

I was relaxing in the sitting room watching television (a rather fascinating documentary on the mating habits of the great apes) when Grandad comes zimmer-framing out of his room: "Would you keep the sound down, I'm trying to sleep".
    "You'd wan't to keep yer feckin' mouth shut, ye scabby aul' bollix ye!" I roars back at him.
    But no, he starts flapping his gums off again, so quick as a whip I spring up off the couch and biff! baff! boff! leave him out cold on the floor.
    He made some feeble attempts to defend himself but was no match for me! I can't say I came through entirely unscathed however - I cut one of my knuckles on his glasses.

It's probably wrong of me to say, but I must admit to feeling a wonderful sense of accomplishment afterwards as I settled down to resume my documentary.
    Like a victorious hero of yore, returned from the fray to the comforts of home, his wounds a testament to his valour.
    It was glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Got jumped once, punched my way out with a few bruises.

Plenty of handbags in rugby games, punches rarely land you'd swing and hope teammates were arriving or if he was getting the better, tackle him to the floor. Once in a semi final myself and a giant from the other team were wrestling at the back of the ruck. We thought the teammates would pile in, but there was 10 mins left and they were all concentrating on the game. We had to sheepishly walk off after getting sent off, black eyes, torn collars and coaches shouting at us. His Mam gave me awful abuse walking into the club house. We both burst out laughing. I'd say we were lucky not to catch colds from the wind of all the missed punches.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

A lot. Been a while since I've been in one, thankfully.

I was a hot-headed prick when I was younger, especially with a few drinks in me. I'm glad I've calmed down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

First year living in Limerick, my girlfriend and I were on the way to college and we walked around a building and an oldish guy walked in between us brushing off me. We both looked at each other and he threw a slap and ran off and my (always the more sensible) girlfriend held me back.

I saw the same lad around Limerick for a few years afterwards, a homeless guy. Felt more sorry for him than anything. Haven't seen him in years, but it was my introduction to Limerick. Haven't had a sniff of trouble since though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No never hit anyone but I was nutted by someone years ago, wrong place at the wrong time I suppose and when it happened there wasn't much I could do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

razorblunt wrote: »

Plenty of handbags in rugby games, punches rarely land you'd swing and hope teammates were arriving or if he was getting the better, tackle him to the floor.

Don't know why, but my biggest memory of a "fight" in rugby was in a match years ago V Boyne. A Donnybrook was on the cusp of erupting when one of our lads threw a slap over some transgression, to get in the biggest Louth/Meath accent
    "Hee-yor why ya hittin me hai, I've wuk in de mornin"
    Play was stopped for a few minutes from laughter *

*you might have had to be there

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mark25

A lot. Been a while since I've been in one, thankfully.

I was a hot-headed prick when I was younger, especially with a few drinks in me. I'm glad I've calmed down.

That's like me X 10.

Got into a fair few fights at secondary school - all boys and rough enough so there would be fights most days. Won some and lost some. Ended up in hospital after one - definitely lost that one and got suspended from school over that and got a few slaps at home too.

Then took up boxing for a while and didn't get into many fights. I enjoyed it but gave it up around 18 when I left school and started college and was doing a part time job and drinking. As somebody once said - drink doesn't agree with me it brings me out in handcuffs. I probably got arrested 10 times for public order, criminal damage and assault. If you knew me then I was a right scumbag. I got a good few chances in court - fines, community service, suspended sentence and eventually 2 years in prison.

That one was for a bad assault. I remember being interviewed for that and seeing the CCTV and I hated myself and what I had done. Seeing it after a night in a cell and when you are sober is very different.

Being in prison was rough for me and my family but off the drink i was an OK guy. I did AA and anger management when I was inside and that did help. I think for me the shame of prison, getting off the drink, having a son and getting older meant I was a different person when i came out and glad to say i haven't been in a proper fight since. I've come close but walked away and have said stupid things but nothing physical.

But being the way i was messed up my 20s. Since getting out I got a chance to go back to collefe as amature student and amnow in my final year of a degree and working part time and not really drinking. I know mine is an extreme case but hopefully I'll not get into another fight again because I know what can happen.-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

A lot unfortunately. Usually did ok but Ive had a few kickings from groups no serious damage, broken nose a few times. Been stitched after being on the wrong end of a knuckle duster had a few knives pulled on me and a gun once pointed in my direction but not specifically at me. Thankfully that was all 20+ years ago. Did have an incident in recent years a guy swung at me in a nightclub he regretted that pretty quickly and so did I because my missis saw a side to me she'd not seen before or since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I shot a man in Ballyjamesduff, just to watch him die.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

No never hit anyone but I was nutted by someone years ago, wrong place at the wrong time I suppose and when it happened there wasn't much I could do about it.

That's nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I was attacked by another woman, well, teenager, when I was in secondary school. She was very short and skinny but aggressive and mentally unstable. She was hanging onto my jumper trying to swing me around (it must have looked hilarious) so I just shook her off like shaking a snappy terrier off your ankle, but she grabbed my hair hard so I took hold of hers , dragged her head back and told her in a quietly psycho voice to eff off or I'd mash her face into the floor. She obliged :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ipso wrote: »
    I shot a man in Ballyjamesduff, just to watch him die.

Ha!

I hung my head and sighed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

This one time at band camp...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

U askin bud

U startin

I like 'u askin bud' but I also like 'u startin' but which one is better?

There's only one way to find out......

FIIIIIIIGHT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

joe stodge wrote: »
    well have you?
    did you win?

only two ever

one in early primary school with a fella the same name as me - neither of us wanted to but the mob wanted us to so we threw a few shapes and maybe rolled around the floor for a few seconds. Don't think either of us touched the other one.

second was in secondary school - some lads were relentlessly picking on me and during an indoor football match when one of them was trying to trip me up, I turned and smashed his nose. Blood everywhere. Not sure that qualifies as a fight. But that was the end of them annoying me.

not raised a hand since... not really for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

Not sure it quite qualifies as a fight, but when I was in college I was involved in an incident. I was sitting on a bench after a DCU ball with a girl I had been kissing. A guy came over to us and started messing for want of a better word. I'm sure I'd have had a better word back then, but I'm a bit older now and just regard that sort of carry on as messing.

So he was pestering and wouldn't leave us alone so I stood up and just said something along the lines of would you ever get lost. It wasn't an aggressive situation at all at this stage, but he was annoying and the girl I was with really didn't like it. But once I stood up your man panicked and sucker punched me in the gob. My natural reaction would still be to try to calm the situation rather than fight, but just in case his friend (who was fairly big) threw his arms around me so I couldn't move. The girl I was with started giving out basically to the guy that punched me and then he started apologising profusely for what he had done. He even offered to give me his student card if I wanted to report him the next day. He really was quite upset over it.

So I'm not sure if it was a fight. But I do know that I definitely won. I lost my virginity later that night to that girl :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

dd972 wrote: »

cool

Advertisement