Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

you ever been in a fight?

Options
  • 24-10-2017 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

well have you?
    did you win?

Have you ever been in a fight? 54 votes

Yes, I've never felt more alive
    0% 0 votes
    No.
    66% 36 votes
    Can't remember but woke up with bruised knuckles once.
    33% 18 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

You first.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

joe stodge wrote: »
    well have you?
    did you win?
    You first.

*shouts from sideline*

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH! SCRAP SCRAP SCRAP SCRAP SCRAP!

(Personally no, and I don't intend to)

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

You first.
    fight?

got hopped by a load of lads walking home from a late night garage, got hit with a bottle to the back of the head 2-3 times before I realised what was happening, luckily enough it didn't break. I fell down and copped a lot of a kicking.

a taxi man broke it up and the lads ran away.

more of a kicking than a fight.

so no, I didn't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

As the great philosopher Socrates once said

You've gotta fight
    for your right
    To Parrrrtttaaayy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

I think you're forgetting the first two rules OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭PMBC

fight?

got hopped by a load of lads walking home from a late night garage, got hit with a bottle to the back of the head 2-3 times before I realised what was happening, luckily enough it didn't break. I fell down and copped a lot of a kicking.

more of a kicking than a fight.

so no, I didn't win.

You needed Lugs Brannigan not Zapp

fight?

so no, I didn't win.

I wouldn't say that's a fight... technically.

My idea of a proper fight is where someone squares it up to you and you both duke it out. Not a surprise hopping.

Y'know, they take off their glove and slap you across the face. Then before you know it you're in a field back to back about to take ten paces.

U askin bud

U startin

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I've spent my youth playing Monopoly, Scrabble and Cluedo.

Oh, I've been in fights!

• Advertisement

Can't really imagine being male and getting through primary & secondary school without fighting.

Becoming an adult, fighting was much easier to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

me_irl wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that's a fight... technically.

My idea of a proper fight is where someone squares it up to you and you both duke it out. Not a surprise hopping.

Y'know, they take off their glove and slap you across the face. Then before you know it you're in a field back to back about to take ten paces.
    they were fighting me with me just very one sided

they were fighting me with me just very one sided

War... war has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Only one. It was outside a nightclub in Leopardstown when I was 17. We were squaring up to one another, face to face. I'd been in a bunch of these and somebody usually breaks them up before anything happens, but we were both quite tall and burly gentlemen for our age so I guess people around wanted to see a fight this time. Even the bouncers were standing there saying amongst themselves, 'This should be f*cking class!' That's not true.

So, we're squaring up, a bunch of cuss words exchanged, before he headbutts me. "Not cool," I think to myself. That wasn't in the script for what I thought a fight was. I'm a bit dazed and before I know it a flurry of punches rain down on my head and face. "How many f*cking arms does this bloke have?" I think to myself again. Turns out his little c*nt mates capitalised on my dazed state, like a pack of lions watching a limping gazelle, and started going to work on me. I needed the 'Ah heyoooor' lady to intervene but nobody did.

They scarpered eventually, leaving me with a head gushing with blood. Few minutes later I'm with the lads, waiting for the an ambulance when some bird goes, 'Jaysus is he alright?' I literally had more Jagermeister in my body than blood at that point, so it was quite a poor question.

So I lost the fight, but I won the.....actually I didn't win the war because I had to pay €100 in hospital fees while those people were never caught. But I got a scar, and a story to tell :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

I've never landed a dig anyway.

Got set upon by a wannabe scummer one night who had a wingman with him, the lad couldn't fight at all so once he established I could to a degree he made his excuses and left, his buddy didn't fancy it either. Wouldn't call that a fight though but I'd consider myself well able to go and would get stuck in if and when I had to I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Akrasia wrote: »
    I've spent my youth playing Monopoly, Scrabble and Cluedo.

Oh, I've been in fights!

Can end the thread now,that's pretty damn ghetto.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yes.
    But I wouldn't recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Only the one non-school/rugby pitch fight in my life

It was a resounding victory for my opponent

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Not since I was in school. More grown up, and try to avoid them situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

One fight as an adult with a family member.No good came of it apart from me being given a few hours to cool off in cell and I was lucky not to be prosecuted.

The bloke deserved the hiding he got but I'll regret it till my dying day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A few when I was younger.

Would usually get my arse handed to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭gifted

Loads when younger....a few in my twenties but always drink related...arguments in my thirties....and can't be bothering my arse in my forties...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

In 2005, in Blarney while at a wedding I left the hotel itself and went to a near by garage 200m away at circa 10pm.
    On the way back to the hotel in my suit, a couple of morons, about 16 or 17, were sitting outside the garage and between them unanimously agreed that I was a f*ggot.

So they called after me......f*ggot....f*ggot....f*ggot. I ignored them first then they kept at it laughing to themselves.
    After one more call of f*ggot I turned, gave them the attention they craved and said come on then. To my dismay they took my taunt seriously and sprinted towards me. The first fella a skinny little prick, I saw coming a mile off, and he got a beauty of a right cross to the jaw for his troubles, he buckled, fell to his knees and covered his face.

His fatter, slower buddy arrived a second later and started punching at me like a maniac but was hitting absolutely nothing...I believe the technical jargon is 'slapless'. He looked like George Michael dancing except his arm thrusts were at shoulder height.

I grabbed 'George' by the shoulders and like throwing a bag of coal over a wall, threw him into the low wall to my right. That hurt him. I stood there poised to continue giving them both a hiding but they scarpered away and I went back to the hotel feeling like Chuck Norris and never told a soul what happened.

Moral of the story....don't call people f*ggot and not expect a hiding.

In prison, cigarettes and drugs that are the currency that keeps things going. In boarding school (a similar experience) it's tampons and facial wipes. I always had a good stock of both, because I'm annoying like that.

Someone in school was stealing from my stock of valuables and in the space of a month at least half of my wipes and tampons had disappeared, along with some AA batteries and a Nokia cellphone charger. I caught the culprit by accident one day and she tried to brush it off by saying she was only 'borrowing' the items and tried to push me out of the way to get out of the room with my stuff in her hands, assuming - as many do - that because I'm small that I'm easily pushed around. A mistake. This one had been annoying me with low-level bullying for some time, and I saw red.

I wrenched the contraband from her hands, and tried to kick her ass as she whirled around, she pushed me and I fell, then as she tried to escape I grabbed her ankle and took that thieving brat down hard. Our house mistress arrived on the scene, put two and two together and gave her a weeks detention, and I got a reprimand for fighting (but she obviously didn't mean it). The would-be master thief learned the most valuable lesson of her life; you don't wrestle with four foot eleven-and-a-half inches of pure Candie badassery and get away with it.

That story is so exciting I should probably write a screenplay.

No, I've never been in a fight in my adult life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭circadian

Plenty of times at school as it was par for the course. Won most of them, which in a way sets you up for more as people want to have a go.

Never instigated as I was too laid back but you got the occasional idiot who got egged on by his mates to throw some punches.

A few as adult, got jumped a couple of times and made it out with black eyes but nothing more serious. The times where it was 1v1 was usually someone in an awful state starting it and easy enough dealt with. I've been lucky considering I've had a few altercations but none in a long time thankfully.

1/10 would not recommend, terrible feeling after a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

me_irl wrote: »
    *shouts from sideline*

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH! SCRAP SCRAP SCRAP SCRAP SCRAP!

(Personally no, and I don't intend to)

Pu55y

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I spar 3 times a week, does that count?

I did get hopped one night when I was out by 5 blokes after trying to help a girl who I went to school with - 3 lads and 2 girls were kicking her on the ground. Busted my nose and a fair bit of bruising but nothing major... got her out safely which was what mattered.

Ironically about 3 years later whilst in work I saw one of the assailants working behind the hot counter in the cafeteria. I walked up when it was quiet and asked him if he remembered me, obviously he didn't so I reminded him that I was the bloke he and his mates kicked the **** out of 3 years ago... he went white so I smiled and said that I wasn't going to say anything followed by... 'now go make me a sandwich like a good boy'... needless to say, I didn't order anything else from him, didn't want some pubes in my sandwich. I felt immensely satisfied with that comment though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I've boxed and done Okinawan karate as a kid, I now practice Brazilian jiu-jitsu and train a bit of kick boxing. I've been in a few competitive fights.

Also been in the usual young lads beating lumps out of eachother scraps as a kid too.

In later years it's generally been avoided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Never been in a fight, not even at school.
    I'm 51 now so chances are I won't be in a scrap anytime soon.
    I wouldn't hesitate to use force to protect my family if required though.

Advertisement