Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridesmaids - what should the bride pay for?

Options
  • 24-10-2017 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for advice on what's the norm or what's expected in terms of the bride paying for the bridesmaids' costs.

I presume some items, such as the bridesmaids' dresses would nearly always (always?) be paid for by the bride. But what about other expenses?

Hair and make up
    Shoes
    Accommodation

The wedding venue is a few hours away from where the bridesmaids live so they will have to stay there on the night of the wedding. They also intend staying in the hotel on the night before and the night after. Would the bride be expected to pay for all three nights?

I'm sure there are other expenses I've forgotten, but the accommodation cost is the most significant item. Not trying to do this on the cheap - just want to know what is the normal practice in this situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

There is no norm op really. If you can afford the accommodation then yes but I have never had mine paid for when I was bridesmaid. We paid for ours but they were our children - wouldn't have paid if they weren't.

As they have to stay there the night of the wedding then yes probably but they don't need to stay the other nights so I would say they pay for those.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

We would have covered hair, make-up, dress, shoes and jewellry (which was part of my gift anyway) for the day itself.
    We covered 2 of the 3 nights where the third night that they paid for was at a reduced rate anyway. I mentioned this to them well in advance would it be ok if they could cover €100 of the accommodation costs themselves and they were more than happy to do that when they didn't have to pay for outfits etc. themselves in the first place.

Looking back now (and considering how ridiculously generous their gifts were) I wish we could have just covered the third night ourselves too but that would have meant 10 extra rooms when considering the whole bridal party and we just couldn't stretch to that.

I did try to spend a lot on them with regard to my BM gifts and that as I know they put so much thought and effort into the hen and the day itself. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭abff

Thanks folks. I guess it depends on the exact circumstances. I think it's an excellent idea to decide in advance and let the bridesmaids know what you're planning so that they don't get any unexpected surprises when they go to check out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Paying for accommodation isn't required. I always paid for my own as a bridesmaid though both times I was able to avail of a lower rate as part of the wedding party. Sure, I'd have been paying for accommodation anyway.

As a rule of thumb, the bride should pay for anything she wants the bridesmaid to specifically have. A certain dress, a certain shoe, if she wants them to have professional hair and make up done, she should pay for those things.

Anything the bridesmaid decides to have done independently, she should pay for herself. For example, I usually get shellac done for weddings, I would never have expected the bride to pay for that unless she wanted me to have it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭DonkeyDick1992

My Girlfriend was a bridesmaid at her friends wedding last year, the bride brought her bouquet, the rest we had to buy (Dress, Makeup, Hair, Accommodation) and there was 4 bridesmaid at the wedding and they all had to buy there own stuff.

Now its is our turn to get married but we are buying the dresses and paying for the hair. The rest they can buy as if you have to pay for rooms and jewelry for them all it takes a good notch out off your budget.

One off our bridesmaids was trying to get us to pay for her room the night of the wedding and the night after and she wanted her jewllery and makeup paid for also but my bride to be :) put her straight on what we are paying for, and now all is good..

If you dont want to seem rude or cheap just drop shuttle hints that you will not be paying for certain stuff the way thay will know what they have to have money for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭scarepanda

We're paying for everything except the accommodation and a trial tan one of the girls wants to get, so dresses, alterations, hair, make-up, nails, tan, shoes and jewellery (our present to them)). I'd no particular preference for shoes, other than they get the same colour (because there's a see through lace piece on the back of the dress), so I let them get them on their own time. I told them I'd pay €x amount for the shoes (which would cover most shoes they would be getting), but now they won't tell me how much they paid..... Its still under discussion!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

One off our bridesmaids was trying to get us to pay for her room the night of the wedding and the night after and she wanted her jewllery and makeup paid for also but my bride to be :) put her straight on what we are paying for, and now all is good..

You should be paying for her makeup and hair and jewellery, really scabby not to

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

_Dara_ wrote: »

As a rule of thumb, the bride should pay for anything she wants the bridesmaid to specifically have. A certain dress, a certain shoe, if she wants them to have professional hair and make up done, she should pay for those things.

That's a good rule of thumb. We're paying for dresses (getting them made for each BM though and not really a "bridesmaidy" style so would deffo do them for some future events if they fancy), hair, makeup, bags, jewellery, shoes (although that's up to them, some already have shoes that work perfectly so they're not getting new ones!). We're not paying for accommodation because not everyone has to travel (Dublin wedding) and the girls that do have to travel yelled at me repeatedly for offering so...

Likewise my best man- we're paying for his tux (which tbh IS expensive but I'm so so particular). No hair or makeup or jewellery for him though, and he has decent enough shoes so it probably works out in the end. It's not rented though, and tailored to fit him so he'll get years of of having his own tux. Surprising how many invites get thrown your way when people know you have a tux of your own... :D

We're basically of the opinion that our bridal party shouldn't be out of pocket because we've asked them to be our party. I also really didn't want to have anyone we love turn down being a bridesmaid because they thought they couldn't afford it. We want them with us no matter what. That's the important thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Dress, shoes, hair & make up is definately the norm. Anything else seems to depend on the couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

would go with that rule also. If the bride and groom want it then they pay for it, if not then leave it up to the bridesmaids...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I was BM for my friend last year. She paid for most things - dress, hair, make up, shoes, jewellery. The only things I paid for were my tan, nails & underwear. I was more than willing to pay for things but she wouldn't let me. My argument was that I'd have been paying for them anyway coming to the wedding as a guest. Hers was that she had asked me to be a BM.

I'm BM for my sister next year & she will be covering nearly the same things. I think it's fairly standard stuff. I don't know that I'd be BM for someone who expected me to pay for my dress - it's a bit much imo, especially as it may not be something I'd ever pick myself.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Was bridesmaid for my sister last year and she (they) paid for our dresses, hair, make up, tan and nails. We bought our own shoes (all same colour but our own style) and our own underwear. She gave us jewellery to wear as a gift the night before the wedding but we knew we were getting that and so hadn't bought anything else. I also bought a small clutch bag that matched my outfit that my boyfriend minded for most of the day so we could store emergency lippy for touch ups in it as sis asked would one of us have a little bag for such things.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

I remember my sister getting married. It was almost 2 months after my first child was born. I was 'chief bridesmaid'. I had to sleep in my car in the hotel car park as there was no accomadation paid for. We had to give back the dress and shoes, there was no make up done and no jewellery given. It was mildly uncomfortable sleeping on the back seat of a car 2 months after a c section I can tell you! So if you give any more than that then you're not the worst!!

jobr wrote: »
    We would have covered hair, make-up, dress, shoes and jewellry (which was part of my gift anyway) for the day itself.
    We covered 2 of the 3 nights where the third night that they paid for was at a reduced rate anyway. I mentioned this to them well in advance would it be ok if they could cover €100 of the accommodation costs themselves and they were more than happy to do that when they didn't have to pay for outfits etc. themselves in the first place.

Looking back now (and considering how ridiculously generous their gifts were) I wish we could have just covered the third night ourselves too but that would have meant 10 extra rooms when considering the whole bridal party and we just couldn't stretch to that.

I did try to spend a lot on them with regard to my BM gifts and that as I know they put so much thought and effort into the hen and the day itself. Hope that helps!

Don’t worry, you paid for plenty. Many brides and grooms don’t cover any night of accommodation - it’s not expected, I find! :)

GingerLily wrote: »
    You should be paying for her makeup and hair and jewellery, really scabby not to

It depends. If the bride isn’t bothered about the bridesmaids having those things done professionally, I don’t think she needs to cover that. But if she does want professional jobbies, then she should pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

At minimum I would think dress, hair and makeup.. some bms will be able to do hair/ makeup themselves but its a nice treat for them getting pampered. I'm covering all - jewellery, shoes, wrap, room etc as I have a style in mind that they wouldn't generally go for, plus I got great deals on everything so they still aren't costing me as much as the suits cost to rent! Paying for accommodation is not expected.. its a nice treat, for our package we managed to get all the bridal party rooms included so that's a huge bonus :-) I've been bridesmaid and had my room paid for, and been bridesmaid and not had to pay.. whatever you can afford yourself!

_Dara_ wrote: »
    It depends. If the bride isn’t bothered about the bridesmaids having those things done professionally, I don’t think she needs to cover that. But if she does want professional jobbies, then she should pay for it.

If the bride isn't getting her hair and makeup done the yes, she shouldn't pay for the Bridesmaid's.

I'd be happy to do my own hair unless the bride wanted an updo etc. I don't expect to be pampered, but I also don't expect to be out of pocket!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

I'm paying for dresses, hair, make up and jewellery. The dresses are long so I'm happy for the girls to wear whatever shoes they'd like. If I wanted a particular shoe I'd have paid for that as well. Seems the norm from the weddings I've been bridesmaid for anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

MissElle wrote:
    I'm paying for dresses, hair, make up and jewellery. The dresses are long so I'm happy for the girls to wear whatever shoes they'd like. If I wanted a particular shoe I'd have paid for that as well. Seems the norm from the weddings I've been bridesmaid for anyway!

Yeah I'm buying the shoes cos my dresses are short and I wanted a particular colour! (Yey shoe rack sales!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Are women incapable of putting on their own makeup anymore? I wouldn't pay for make up, I'd pay for hair if I wanted a particular style done. I'd probably pay the accommodation for the wedding night but definitely not 3 nights. I wouldn't pay for nails or a spray tan either - that's personal preference and could be done without.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Ghekko wrote: »
    Are women incapable of putting on their own makeup anymore? I wouldn't pay for make up, I'd pay for hair if I wanted a particular style done. I'd probably pay the accommodation for the wedding night but definitely not 3 nights. I wouldn't pay for nails or a spray tan either - that's personal preference and could be done without.

Wedding makeup is different to day to day. It has to last all day and look right in photos

Dovies wrote: »
    Wedding makeup is different to day to day. It has to last all day and look right in photos

I'd agree with this, has to last all day especially. It's something I don't mind paying for. Nails and tan is different though! Luckily none of us wear tan so no problem there

Dovies wrote: »

There are also issues with photography and flashback!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Ghekko wrote: »
    I wouldn't pay for nails or a spray tan either - that's personal preference and could be done without.

Of course its personal preference. I'm paying for both nails and tan (although one is doing her own tan), not because I want a certain colour or for them to be all the same, but because why not? Why not treat them? Its the only time they will accept the treat and they have been a massive help to me. Its not much in the bigger scheme of things. Myself, my two bridesmaids and my mam are all booked in for our nails the day before and I'll certainly be using it as a couple of hours to chill and relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

My sister got married last year and I was one of 2 bridesmaids. She paid for our hair & make-up on the day (trials of both we paid for ourselves), the dresses, alterations, shoes, bags and bouquets. The accommodation wasn't covered but we had a reduced rate and that didn't bother me. Underwear and jewellery were up to us (although she did ask for us to wear similar enough to each other) and we paid for our own. Nails we paid for ourselves too. Honestly none of those extra bits bothered me paying for myself.

Personally I think it should be based on how much the bride can afford and also relationship with the bridesmaids in terms of understanding. I knew my sister wasn't exactly flush so offered to buy my dress which she wouldn't hear of. Instead we were just savvy and got them in a sale to help her save some money on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

We're paying for dresses, hair, make up, jewellery, shoes and their accommodation the night before and night of the wedding. Undecided on nails and tan at the moment, it will probably depend on how far the budget is stretched by then! But we'll hopefully cover those too.

Would people think it's the norm for bridesmaids to get hair and make up trials? I was thinking of leaving it up to them and they could cover that if they wanted to do it, hopefully that's not unreasonable!

Would people think it's the norm for bridesmaids to get hair and make up trials? I was thinking of leaving it up to them and they could cover that if they wanted to do it, hopefully that's not unreasonable!

We're not paying for make up or hair trials either for our bridesmaids. The girls are happy not to have one or pay themselves if they change their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I had one bridesmaid and paid for the hair and makeup (and trial), but she wore a dress of her own (her wedding dress actually but it wasn't a typical bridal dress) as I loved it already. I gave her a gift of Pandora charms for her bracelet and a donation to her favourite charity. Wasn't too bothered about tan etc although I got a light spray myself. I offered to pay for the accommodation but she wouldn't let me.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

We're paying for dresses, hair, make up, jewellery, shoes and their accommodation the night before and night of the wedding. Undecided on nails and tan at the moment, it will probably depend on how far the budget is stretched by then! But we'll hopefully cover those too.

Any time I've been a bridesmaid we've never had hair/makeup trials, so I don't think you'd be unreasonable not getting one for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I've been a bridesmaid twice. The first time we did our own make-up so no trial needed but we did have a hair trial to see what kind of styles would work/how long it would take to curl hair (it was before ghds & curling wands were in common use). The bride covered the hair trial as I had to fly to the UK for it (I wasn't complaining about a weekend away though!).

Second time for my sister we had both as she really wanted them but asked us to cover the cost. To be honest it wasn't that expensive so I didn't mind.

Wouldn't think it's unreasonable at all.

Advertisement