Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil 5 & 6 are the two biggest selling Capcom games of all time

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Asus X540L wrote: »

Surprised Resident Evil 4 sold so little. I must have bought enough different versions of that to get it into the top 20 at least…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Noel82

Kind of a strange list since it combines multiple consoles for the Resident Evil games but only the Super Nes version of SFII. This one is quiet different http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Best_selling_Capcom_games

Also surprised RE4 sold so little, one of the best games ever! 5 was gash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Now I've lost all faith in humanity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sure, sales just means the franchise is popular.
    Resident Evil 4 and it's myriad of ports brought the franchise back into the black.
    The lacklustre 5&6 rode on its coat tails.
    Pity they were pants.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

**** boulders.

jHl5dN9.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

5 isn't atrocious it's very average especially in single player.
    As for 6, honestly that game dropped to a fiver so quick I'm sure many bought it thinking (wrongly) they'd enjoy one of the campaigns in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's the bones of a great game hidden in Resident Evil 6, it just needed someone to come in and edit it down into a 30 hour experience.

Resident Evil 6 was the worst game I played all last gen. It was out and out garbage. Chris's campaign is one of the worst pieces of gaming I've ever sat through. So much in the game just didn't work with some boss battles I bumbled through and felt like they came from a buggy PS1 game.

I heard the Resi 6 multiplayer is really deep and the mechanics of the game really come to the fore.

Resi 5 wasn't that great either.

The focus on multiplayer ruined them. Gone was the tight design and variety of Resi 4 instead replaced with.... well a god damn mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Resident Evil 6 is a good game, just not a good Resident Evil game. I think I put more time into the mercenaries mode alone than I did entire other games I paid full price for but I really enjoyed the campaigns as well, apart from maybe the Chris option which was pretty poor (but I try not to complain about it given the sheer amount of content).

People like to act like it was a dud for Capcom but I've always pointed out that it one of, if not the, best selling RE game to date. RE7 was a return to form simply because Capcom had the dignity to put the legacy of the franchise above sales figures, and they deserve recogition for that but RE7 probably would've sold more if it was an action shooter like RE6.

Resi 5 is also one of the few games I've completed more times than I can even remember.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Worth noting that Resi 4 is split across multiple platforms on this list, whereas 5 & 6 are not. Easily starts nudging towards the top when you count them all together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

hated 5 and 6 but currently playing RE: Revelations and for a handheld game ported to PC it is a lot of fun and more of a return to the original games
    The tight corridors and claustrophobic feel is where RE shines I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Now I've lost all faith in humanity.

You really need to let go of your anger against RE 6 man. It can't be healthy.

Does every current gen release give you Vietnam type flashbacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I heard the Resi 6 multiplayer is really deep and the mechanics of the game really come to the fore.

You're going to summon Ropedrink with comments like that
    Resi 5 wasn't that great either.

Wasn't awful either, particularly as a 2-player co-op game

6 was extremely forgettable, I had to play it kind of drunk to make it more bearable. It was so f**king directionless as a game.
    There's the bones of a great game hidden in Resident Evil 6, it just needed someone to come in and edit it down into a 30 hour experience.

It was a ~25 hour game, it just felt like it was twice that long.
    I'd have been happier if it was ~18 hours long though tbh

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I thought Resi 5 was okay, I at least got some fun out of it, particularly playing co-op with my friend where we'd try to screw with each other without the benefit of friendly fire. The boss fight where you get a flamethrower, we discovered that can hurt your team mate so we would ignore the boss entirely, and just race to the flamethrower. 6 was bollocks though.

Resident Evil 5 just felt like a single player game half arsed out of a multi player game. It was unstructured and it kind if felt like a single player game were you fight bots in multilayer levels. It had the same feel from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Worth noting that Resi 4 is split across multiple platforms on this list, whereas 5 & 6 are not. Easily starts nudging towards the top when you count them all together.
    My guess would be they're discounting sales of copies from platforms which came after the initial release of the title. For instance, they also don't count copies of RE5 and RE6 for the PS4 and XBox One and Resident Evil 4 for the GC and Resident Evil 4 Wii edition are included later in the list as standalone entries.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

RE6 was bad in such a way that it became kind of funny. It's the poster child for boring homogeneous game design for the 360 generation

RE5 was just forgettable. I'd rather go back and play RE6 because it's good for a laugh at least.

gizmo wrote: »
    My guess would be they're discounting sales of copies from platforms which came after the initial release of the title. For instance, they also don't count copies of RE5 and RE6 for the PS4 and XBox One and Resident Evil 4 for the GC and Resident Evil 4 Wii edition are included later in the list as standalone entries.

Yes, counting all platforms, Resi 5 and 6 are still the best selling RE games.

People don't want to accept that fact because both games, especially 6, took a steaming dump on what made RE franchise so great.

But, taken in isolation, both games, particuarly 5, are incredibly good games.

You're entitled to your opinion, but Resi 6 was NOT an incredibly good game. It was a jack of all trades, master of none.

You're entitled to your opinion, but Resi 6 was NOT an incredibly good game. It was a jack of all trades, master of none.

It was the best selling Resident Evil games in years. Not saying that makes it a good game but you would have to admit that it did something right.

It was a very good action shooter, with excellent co-op. Particularly, the mercenaries mode, but the campaign co-op was pretty stellar.

As a resident evil game? 5/10, but as a general game, very much a 9/10 in my opinion. Think I paid about €50 and put about 200 hours into it.

People rave about RE7 as a return to form and even though that's a well deserved and awaited response and Capcom deserve kudos for making the effort, RE7 did bad business compared to RE6.

The simple truth is that the more action orientated RE5 and 6 sold far more copies.

• Advertisement

So what?
    Call of Duty Infinite Warfare probably sold 10x as much as Bioshock 1 did at it's release.
    Doesn't mean it's better.

Your post should have said "Incredibly Good Co-op Game" so in that case.
    Cause in single player, when I played it, it was almost instantly forgetable, and I say that as a Resi fan of 2 decades who has owned/played all of the major entries (7 aside, waiting for full 12/12/17 release, even got VR for it) and a fan of a LOT of other shooters.
    It was a laughable (as mentioned above), clunky, aimless, soulless mess of a single player game.

You seem hung up on them "selling far more copies".
    I'm sure Star Wars Ep1 sold a LOT of tickets, doesn't mean it wasn't a cr@p entry in the series.
    The brand carries HUGE gravitas in selling games

At least the graphics in 5 were pretty stellar at the time.
    But i'm clearly not going to convince you otherwise if it's a 9/10, 200 hour, Incredible campaign, as you won't convince me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Bad games that follow good games in a series sell better than they deserve
    Good games that follow bad games in a series sell worse than they deserve

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

RE5 was great as a co op experience. I've put many many hours into that game. Multiplayer was great fun too. I was still able to get matches the last time I logged on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Resident Evil 5 just felt like a single player game half arsed out of a multi player game. It was unstructured and it kind if felt like a single player game were you fight bots in multilayer levels. It had the same feel from it.

6/10 game then?

So what?
    Call of Duty Infinite Warfare probably sold 10x as much as Bioshock 1 did at it's release.
    Doesn't mean it's better.

Your post should have said "Incredibly Good Co-op Game" so in that case.
    Cause in single player, when I played it, it was almost instantly forgetable, and I say that as a Resi fan of 2 decades who has owned/played all of the major entries (7 aside, waiting for full 12/12/17 release, even got VR for it) and a fan of a LOT of other shooters.
    It was a laughable (as mentioned above), clunky, aimless, soulless mess of a single player game.

You seem hung up on them "selling far more copies".
    I'm sure Star Wars Ep1 sold a LOT of tickets, doesn't mean it wasn't a cr@p entry in the series.
    The brand carries HUGE gravitas in selling games

At least the graphics in 5 were pretty stellar at the time.
    But i'm clearly not going to convince you otherwise if it's a 9/10, 200 hour, Incredible campaign, as you won't convince me :P

You seem fixated on "I feel this way therefore it is".

For what it's worth, and I've no idea why you introduced it, but Infinite Warfare was probably the best COD campaign in years.

Sieghardt wrote: »
    Bad games that follow good games in a series sell better than they deserve
    Good games that follow bad games in a series sell worse than they deserve

Resident Evil 4 sold loads, even though the franchise had fallen into a malaise.

Actually, the green shoots of recovery were probably first visible with the RE:make on the Gamecube as well, that was an eyeball peeling bit of awesomeness when it was released, made the Xbox and PS2 releases look pretty pitiful by comparison, and it still looks great today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I think the more notable point to take from that transition is the one Capcom and others seem to have noticed along the way, action games tend to sell more than straight up horror games.

• Res 6 actually piggy backed off the COD craze.

Res 5 piggy backed off RE4s critical acclaim

Resident Evil 5 is actually a really enjoyable game. I pumped so much coop time in it.
    RE6 was a fun romp but so forgettable. The mechanics were awful. And it's COD style nonsense was cringe inducing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

5 would have been good if they didn't implement the co-op half way through, and of course, the "racist" changes.

You're in the middle of Africa and it's racist cause all the zombies are black?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I liked number 5
    Was a really fun co-op game

But I absolutly hated the story with a passion, terrible direction to go

and I never thought of it as a resi game because of that, as well as the action shooter that it was.
    Its a fun game with resident evil in the title but its not a resident evil game.

Number 6, well I played the demo for about 15 minutes then uninstalled. Terrible game.

I have still yet to play the latest one, but from gameplay it definitly looks like it has gone back to its roots which I prefer.

I do understand though that business is business and most people probably preferred an action shooter type game, specially seeing them sales figures in anyway.

Advertisement