Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Late Toy Show 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,428 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Rte cannot donate the money to charity. It's basically paid advertising for the companies involved.

It's an oxymoron.

RTÉ is a charity at this stage.
    Will you give it a rest, it’s a talk about a toy show. I’m sure some where out there, there is a soup kitchen that could do with your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭applehunter

ted1 wrote: »
    Will you give it a rest, it’s a talk about a toy show. I’m sure some where out there, there is a soup kitchen that could do with your help.

A toy show that had definite political undertones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

To incorporate a homeless angle and not to incorporate the story of the birth of the baby Jesus was telling.

That's very acute so it is. Please take your Bible bashing sentiment elsewhere though. I'm not well off but I'm grateful for what I have. The Toy Show is a once a year show and I wouldn't begrudge any of the studio audience what they get. How long would most of them be waiting for that opportunity? It's coming up to Christmas so pack it in FFS. We've all had it tough at some point in our lives so don't try to drag others down to your level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Lisha wrote: »
    Poor audience not happy :(

Don't blame them!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Some American inspired soldier loving tonight, its not 1915, that fellow is probably paid 5 times more than me, you wouldn't get me fawning over a soldier.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Jesus H, they're out in force tonight!

Some American inspired soldier loving tonight, its not 1915, that fellow is probably paid 5 times more than me, you wouldn't get me fawning over a soldier.

The look on his kids faces meant a lot to me. Whatever he's doing for the Irish army fair play to him but his kids don't see him every day like their friends might with their dads. Christmas is about family so sorry if I'm all for that and stuff but I'd rather see that than to hear of another family being torn apart by war or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Bear in mind a load of Irish soldiers have to claim Social Welfare as the pay is so bad, and new recruits are dropping out to work in Tescos as they'll get more money there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Strazdas wrote: »
    That little girl Molly was over the moon with her present and to hear she would spend the day as a zoologist.

I loved how she had worked out why she would prefer to be a zoologist than a vet! :)

KKkitty wrote: »
    That's very acute so it is. Please take your Bible bashing sentiment elsewhere though. I'm not well off but I'm grateful for what I have. The Toy Show is a once a year show and I wouldn't begrudge any of the studio audience what they get. How long would most of them be waiting for that opportunity? It's coming up to Christmas so pack it in FFS. We've all had it tough at some point in our lives so don't try to drag others down to your level.

I think you are missing my point.

I'm all for a joyful Toy Show.

Is noting the lack of reference to the Nativity now bible bashing?

Merry fishmas!

• Advertisement

I'm going to post this once and once only. Why bother posting in this thread if it's only to push an outdated or stupid agenda. You can be critical but when you bring certain agendas into it you make you and what you post redundant. I liked this Toy Show this year. It brought families together. It wasn't about the Ed Sheerans or David Walliams of this world. The DeLoreon was the most physically Hollywood thing in the whole show. An inanimate object that can't speak or interact but still made a child's night by seeing one in real life and sitting in one. Even though I'm from Kilkenny it was lovely seeing some Galway players come out and make a child happy. If you didn't want to watch it there was a thing called a remote control that changes the channel if want. Life's too short so grow up please and stop trying to bring others down or pushing an agenda that doesn't need to be pushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I thought this was a really good show this year. The amount of generosity from RTÉ for this year's toy show to the studio audience & to some of the kids in the show was really good. The lack of celebrities on it this year was there but I thought that it didn't really matter. I thought tonight's toy show was a little bit different than most other toys shows from previous years. There were a little more personal bits in it this year that made it even better than expected for people to enjoy & to admire. A show like this one does not need to have the same formula in it every year to make it a success; some minor tweaks to it's formula of the toy show can make it a lot more enjoyable for the audience. Fair play to Ryan & to the kids for tonight. They put on a great show. Here's hoping there is more for next year.

Happy Christmas :)

I'm going to post this once and once only. Why bother posting in this thread if it's only to push an outdated or stupid agenda.

Pray tell, what agenda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Well, I thought it was great. The best toy show I've seen in years. I thought it really benefited from not having any of the usual celebrity appearances. I deliberately gave this thread a wide berth for the evening because I didn't want to get caught up in the inevitable cynicism.

Pray tell, what agenda?

The premise of Christmas is to bring people of all ages, beliefs and origins together is it not? Wealth and material possessions don't matter much on Christmas Day. You could have a millionaire by themselves in a mansion versus a family with a turkey crown from Aldi and Brussels sprouts from Lidl. Kids who throw hissy fits because they didn't get the iPhone X compared to another child who's happy with a PS3. It's 2017 so for me anyway the religious aspect doesn't mean much but I'd rather see my kids be happy and appreciative of what I provide for them than saying 50 Hail Mary's or Our Father's ad nauseum.

The premise of Christmas is to bring people of all ages, beliefs and origins together is it not? Wealth and material possessions don't matter much on Christmas Day. You could have a millionaire by themselves in a mansion versus a family with a turkey crown from Aldi and Brussels sprouts from Lidl. Kids who throw hissy fits because they didn't get the iPhone X compared to another child who's happy with a PS3. It's 2017 so for me anyway the religious aspect doesn't mean much but I'd rather see my kids be happy and appreciative of what I provide for them than saying 50 Hail Mary's or Our Father's ad nauseum.

I never said any of that.

I never implied any of that.

You seem to be fascinated with Hail Marys.

Here's 10 more

Listen Ted, you are a fly by night. This is a weekly thread not some church you can embarrassingly enter once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Glebee

Great show this year. Really enjoyed it. Thought Ryan done a good job of it. Roll on Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Ryan was going way too fast at the start. Would much prefer a slightly slower paced show and real interaction with the kids. From the second half on he found his rhythm.

Thought the theme wasnt really christmasy. It was really really well envisioned but for the wrong time of year. The director should be shot, camera angles were all over the shop.

Favourite bit was the young girl who wanted to be a zoologist. Her reaction was priceless. They should send cameras with her!

All in all a really good show

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    The one reason to pay the TV license to RTE is almost upon us :P

Kicking this thread off to ask what are your fond memories of the show? Asking kids to review things is usually amusing - 10/10s for many things or very harsh docking of points.

But this gem was posted over in the Gaming forum too. So much cringe!

https://twitter.com/Hit_The_Snake/status/935862788412592128

The Late Late Toy Show on RTÉ One at 9.35pm on Friday, December 1. Have the hot chocolate and sweet tins ready!

The plank had wood there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Great show lastnight. We really enjoyed it, lots of laugh out loud moments. We're really in the mood for Xmas now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I thought it was fantastic, fun, inclusive, Ryan made it look pretty effortless and he could not have done better . I heard from someone there that he made huge effort with the sick kids when their segment was filmed and stayed behind a long time after talking to everyone and ensuring all the parents and kids got attention. Overall it was brilliant though, I didnt feel the time passing at all while I was watching.

I thought it mightve been a nice touch to give the audience gifts to a homeless charity or give them the option to donate them or mention something about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

All fun and games til someone loses an eye

Hello Dad.
    In my day LEGO was a box of bricks. You used your imagination. I made a three story house with stairs etc but ran out of bricks for the roof.

Hello Dermot Bannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

The director should be shot, camera angles were all over the shop.

All in all a really good show

I agree with both of these statements. The opening act was extremely hard to follow as the cameras were switching so quickly.

Maybe I'm mistaken but the crew that did the opening act appeared to be the same crew that opened with Jungle Book last year. Some of the dancing was pretty similar too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,428 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Listen Ted, you are a fly by night. This is a weekly thread not some church you can embarrassingly enter once a year.
    Maybe you should have taken the night off. The toy show is an annual event not a weekly one. It’s a totally different ball game than the rest of the year, maybe you are coming across as a miserable bore etc as you don’t understand the concept.

ted1 wrote:
    Maybe you should have taken the night off. The toy show is an annual event not a weekly one. It’s a totally different ball game than the rest of the year, maybe you are coming across as a miserable bore etc as you don’t understand the concept.

Or maybe he's just a miserable bore.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Krispie

When did the TOY SHOW loose the main concept of the title??? Grand, nice to see non Billy Barry kids strutting their stuff, all singing and dancing and reunites etc with family members, but years ago someone in RTE came up with a concept (RATHER GOOD ONE AT THAT IMO) for an annual event for the LLS where Uncle Gaybo would actually show us kids Toys. And lots of them. Right, there was the very occasional interrupt from the BBS of annoying kids, singing the theme from Annie, again, but then we got back to the toys. The name they settled on was the TOY show...

Last couple of years its more about the spectacle and theme than the toys. Tubs is an excellent host on the night (not a fan the other gown up nights), and always is, but more toys. Even my 3 kids were complaining about the incessant singing/dancing last night.

Back to basics and loose the Variety Performance aspect.

Will somebody please think of the toyssssssssss..............

Krispie looks forward to Goggle Box again for the next 51 weeks...

I agree the balance was a bit off. I actually don't remember a toy that made me go wow last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Krispie wrote: »
    When did the TOY SHOW loose the main concept of the title??? Grand, nice to see non Billy Barry kids strutting their stuff, all singing and dancing and reunites etc with family members, but years ago someone in RTE came up with a concept (RATHER GOOD ONE AT THAT IMO) for an annual event for the LLS where Uncle Gaybo would actually show us kids Toys. And lots of them. Right, there was the very occasional interrupt from the BBS of annoying kids, singing the theme from Annie, again, but then we got back to the toys. The name they settled on was the TOY show...

Last couple of years its more about the spectacle and theme than the toys. Tubs is an excellent host on the night (not a fan the other gown up nights), and always is, but more toys. Even my 3 kids were complaining about the incessant singing/dancing last night.

Back to basics and loose the Variety Performance aspect.

Will somebody please think of the toyssssssssss..............

Krispie looks forward to Goggle Box again for the next 51 weeks...

I suppose it's a fair point. There seems to be less and less toys every year and more and more singing and dancing performances by children. They could easily drop a couple of the live performances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

pilly wrote: »
    I agree the balance was a bit off. I actually don't remember a toy that made me go wow last night.

The book light thing was mine. Loved it. Actually gasped at it :o

Advertisement