Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircode - Why did they bother?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Never use it, no need, waste of money.

Ambulances do use them, If they saved 1 person's life, they weren't a waste of money.

The money was spent badly on them, and it should have been done better, but none the less, was not a waste.

My father was recently rushed to hospital by an ambulance. They found our house using Eircodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭PippaChic

Recently, I had visitors from the States. They were driving from Co.Clare, they phoned me for directions. I gave them my eircode, they were able to tell me what time they would arrive from the Google Maps so I knew how much time I had to clean the house and cook their dinner :) I think Eircode is great, you only have to remember your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Ted Plain wrote: »
    I live in an area of Dublin that has an existing Dublin postcode number. My Eircode starts with D. I like it and use it.

My folks live in County Dublin and theirs starts with K, which is ridiculous because County Kildare is close by.

They really, really, really should have ensured that the codes start with the initial of the county that the address is in, like it is with car registrations.

No wonder very few have warmed to it.

Hang on a second there bucko...if that's the case, the D is for Donegal as alphabetically we come before you. So put that in your pipe and schmoke it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

I’d imagine they always expected usage to be slow at the start. That will change over time as people realise how convenient it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I’d imagine they always expected usage to be slow at the start. That will change over time as people realise how convenient it is.

Exactly this. Courier dispatch don't use them yet, but once the first tracking software add them they'll all add them. The courier drivers themseves do use them, I've been talking to a few DPD drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Never use it, no need, waste of money.

How is it a waste of money, it works and will eventually make money.

Maybe you should try using it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I know my own and use it when giving directions.
    And I use it with work too and it's made a huge difference to me as unfortunately some people are just crap at giving directions.
    Well worth the money spent on it, more people should use it.

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Ambulances do use them, If they saved 1 person's life, they weren't a waste of money.

The money was spent badly on them, and it should have been done better, but none the less, was not a waste.

How was the money spent badly or how could it have been done better.

They work, each house has a code.

What did go wrong was the promotion of it and getting An Post, couriers, utility services etc to embrace it and encourage its use.

If they did this then everybody would use it.

I see now that envelopes are now being franked with "Don't forget to use your Eircode" so if An Post are now doing this it may start to pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

When I was driving to look at cars, I have asked people for their eircodes every time and every time it was a time saver.
    Seven characters and I have a direct directions how to get there, without the hassle of turns close to pubs and churches...

I love Eircode really. Would love Loc8 even more, but we have to live with what we have :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Never used it.
    I guess the letter notifying me of it had been thrown into the fire ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Never used it.
    I guess the letter notifying me of it had been thrown into the fire ages ago.

Go to https://finder.eircode.ie/, type your address or find the house on the map and write the eircode down. It becomes really useful - obviously not for you, as you know exactly where you live :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why does it matter. People only need to memorise their own code. They codes were allocated via whatever post office served them.

I live in Bray, Co Wicklow and my Eircode starts with A. It makes no difference.

Ditto. Bray and mine starts with A .

What I find weird is that you were given the code, and they said if you request it again they will charge you? Am I remembering that right? Sure I just found it on Google maps and dominos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I’ve actually had to use mine a few times recently. But can’t remember what for, annoyingly.

I’m surprised at the resistance to them, I think they have their uses. Easier to find rural homes this way.

grogi wrote: »
    Go to https://finder.eircode.ie/, type your address or find the house on the map and write the eircode down. It becomes really useful - obviously not for you, as you know exactly where you live :D

Meh.

Ambulance service use them. They asked me for it when my dad took ill but stupid me didn’t know it!

Had blinds fitted last week in the back end of nowhere. The company asked for the eircode. Must be due to google maps.

I need to start memorising it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Wildcard7

When I heard about eircodes, I thought they were a stupid concept. Give every street a name, and every house a number (as it already is in many places) instead of inventing another system on top.

But now it's here, and as stupid as it is, it works. And google maps supports it. I leave my eircode in every time I'm asked for an address, and most of the time it is being used (at least courier services copped on).

If you start using it yourself ("I don't need directions, just give me your eircode") and you also add it everytime you have to leave your address, it will become more and more widespread.

Complaining that it's not being used, and then not using it yourself, is a bit silly.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

I’ve seen a few cases recently where it was requested / very useful including renewing insurance and directions for a large delivery company so seems to be taking off finally.

I seem to remember a poster on here who had a serious axe to grind with Eircode(I think they had a rival offering [snipped].

• Registered Users Posts: 9,374 ✭✭✭irishgeo

He was releated to the rival company owner.

PandaPoo wrote: »
    Ditto. Bray and mine starts with A .

What I find weird is that you were given the code, and they said if you request it again they will charge you? Am I remembering that right? Sure I just found it on Google maps and dominos

I don't think you've got that right. You can find your code on the EIRCODE system for free.

People have to pay if they do more than a certain amount of searches.

• Advertisement

Meh.

Good progressive attitude.

Seeing as you still burn paper instead of recycling shows the type you are!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I don't think you've got that right. You can find your code on the EIRCODE system for free.

People have to pay if they do more than a certain amount of searches.

Gotcha...for some reason I thought you could use the site and search X amount of times and then you had to pay. 15 searches a day apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Mine is a H91 xxxx in rural Galway so I figured 91 might be derived from our 091 phone exchange?

I have had various couriers refuse to use it. I now have google maps and Eircode in a saved text ready to go when anyone tries to find the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

professore wrote: »

No its not. That's for business to use the entire database in their systems for marketing etc.

Why just pick out the highest fee possible and ignore others?

Completely different issue to adoption issues by the general public.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

professore wrote: »

Bull crap sensationalist comment!

traceback of your steps; Goes onto website, finds biggest / most glamorous number and declares it as the cost for any business ignoring the 50 other payment options depending on usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

I asked a similar Question about eircode a while back

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100816607

Good progressive attitude.

Seeing as you still burn paper instead of recycling shows the type you are!:D

Whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Fieldsman

OP I can't make out how they couldn't find you, they must be very backward. Recently I was ordering a service truck and I was telling the office person I'd leave my car outside the house with the flashers on. She asked me if I knew my eircode no. and as I alway's have it in my wallet. she replied that will do and it got the driver to my door.

Advertisement