Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I asking for too much for Christmas?

Options
2»

Comments

tedpan wrote: »
    If you're working, why are you getting presents from your parents?

Imagine your granny spending lots of cash on your parents.

If my granny were still alive, she'd probably still buy presents for me and I'd still love it - and I'm in my 30s!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

they don't cost 500 quid per head though

My reply was to the poster who more or less said he was too old for Christmas present giving /receiving at 16 than the OP. Apologies, it was kinda off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

It must be difficult for teens/young adults these days who are no longer allowed to work some of the more readily available jobs we would have done when we were young (I'm 34, so I'm not talking about back in dickity four or anything). A lot of my peers worked in pubs and off-licences from the age of 15 - loads of them around, loads of jobs. Maybe a consequence of this is that this age group nowadays is more dependent on parents a lot more than we were. With this theory in mind, no matter how poorly formed it may be, I'd hold off on the judgmental comments that I can see coming in from other posters.

In saying that, I'd be embarrassed to go to my folks for something like that at the age of 16. Iirc my younger brothers got the original playstation (possibly PS2) between them for xmas when I was 16, they would have been 12 and 10. I might have received a Dublin jersey or something and the usual sock and jocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

theteal wrote: »
    It must be difficult for teens/young adults these days who are no longer allowed to work some of the more readily available jobs we would have done when we were young (I'm 34, so I'm not talking about back in dickity four or anything). A lot of my peers worked in pubs and off-licences from the age of 15 - loads of them around, loads of jobs. Maybe a consequence of this is that this age group nowadays is more dependent on parents a lot more than we were. With this theory in mind, no matter how poorly formed it may be, I'd hold off on the judgmental comments that I can see coming in from other posters.

In saying that, I'd be embarrassed to go to my folks for something like that at the age of 16. Iirc my younger brothers got the original playstation (possibly PS2) between them for xmas when I was 16, they would have been 12 and 10. I might have received a Dublin jersey or something and the usual sock and jocks.

Can kids no longer do those jobs? I worked as a lounge boy in a pub when I was 15 for the handsome sum of £7.50 per night. Was great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

tedpan wrote: »
    I'm not 12 anymore. We buy anything we want throughout the year, so find it difficult to buy stuff at Christmas for the sake of it, let alone getting presents from/for my parents.

Scrooge is alive and well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BlackMask93

Gamestop currently have this trade in offer ongoing from today. This should be able to help towards your new console,
    If you have any old games lying about

Xo3In

https://imgur.com/a/Xo3In

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Can kids no longer do those jobs? I worked as a lounge boy in a pub when I was 15 for the handsome sum of £7.50 per night. Was great craic.

I don't believe so, need to be 18 iirc.

Also, similarly I was working for £2.50 an hour at 15, so yeah about £10 a night. I'd be looking to 2*, if not 3*, that with tips though. Great times - although I'm sure the lack of smoking ban can't have been good for the lungs.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Ask for one4all vouchers. So if they will give you 200eu in vouchers, you cam add the rest yourself.

I always ask my misses for vouchers. I cant expect her to buy me a 400eu consoles or stuff I want, but I love a voucher as presents as I cam add money and get what I want instead of getting something I dont need and still pay full price for item I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Atlantic03

Clio1617 wrote: »
    Hi im a 16 year old and i am hoping to get a nintendo switch for Christmas. Normally my parents would spend about €250 per child but the nintendo switch is about €430 for the console and two games. I do have a job so im willing to pay for some of it but i know my parents will feel bad taking my money but i dont want to put them under financial pressure. What should i do?

Ask for it anyway. You can buy them a gift in return, something that they actually need around the house would help. If you already plan on buying them something, spend a little more this year to make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Gerry T

First, getting your parents a present at Christmas is important. At 16 I don't think spending any more that 10 or 20e is needed. In fact it's harder to buy something personal at that price. But take it from me it's appreciated just as much as an expensive present.
    I agree offering money is tough, my own son traded in an old wii with games and got a couple of hundred towards a PS, is that an option? If not, could they get the console and you the controllers and games

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Are switches easy enough too come by now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd imagine it's not and it's going to get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Clio1617

Yeh you can reserve them for Christmas in most shops now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

endacl wrote: »
    Rounding up, that's almost half a grand.

Yes. It's too much. Chip in a few hundred yourself. I can guarantee they won't feel bad and will take it.

Rounding down its only a hundred quid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

16 is a bit old for presents like that, your asking way too much. If you were 7 - 8 maybe but 16 with a job?

16 is a bit old for presents like that, your asking way too much. If you were 7 - 8 maybe but 16 with a job?

Didn't mean to thank your post!

He's 16, that's probably junior cert or in 5th yr. Any work is small money, not what you would call a "job" and too old ?? I don't know anyone that wouldn't spend min 100 to prob 300 on that age group, depending on their means or belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Yeah 16 with a job...asking for presents...c'mon dude..
    Basically an adult in Ireland.
    16yr olds have done their Junior Certs and most of em probably drink on weekends.
    Get it yourself, it's not that hard to get up the money...even if you don't have a job.
    Cutting Grass, raking leaves, washing windows/cars
    Gerry T wrote: »

He's 16, that's probably junior cert or in 5th yr. Any work is small money, not what you would call a "job" and too old ?? I don't know anyone that wouldn't spend min 100 to prob 300 on that age group, depending on their means or belief.

5th year is old man, and part-time...aren't they subject to minimum wage laws too ?
    He's probably on 9 euro an hour...could be more, or extra if there are tips involved.

This materialistic point of view that they should pay 100-300 is ridiculous.
    I hate what Xmas is in Ireland, load of pretentious crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

SeantheMan wrote: »
    16yr olds have done their Junior Certs and most of em probably drink on weekends.
    Get it yourself, it's not that hard to get up the money...even if you don't have a job.

5th year is old man, and part-time...aren't they subject to minimum wage laws too ?
    He's probably on 9 euro an hour...could be more, or extra if there are tips involved.

You are some sadcase

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Gerry T wrote: »

You can "remove thanks" down in the bottom left of the post for future reference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Some serious grinches on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

callaway92 wrote: »
    You are some sadcase

Resorting to name calling ?
    Do you expect my feelings to be hurt ?

Why don't you learn to explain your contrasting point on view instead ?
    At what age do you stop shelling out 300 for a present for a kid, and at what age would you consider them adults ?

This is a discussion board, you make yourself look like a fool if all you can do is throw level effort trash comments at people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

posted to bargain alerts today:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057799230

might help

You can "remove thanks" down in the bottom left of the post for future reference

i was on the mobile, didn't have the option there, fixed now :)

Personally I wouldn't want my kids spending a lot of time working during school term at weekends. When would they work if their drinking at weekends ? Most 16 yr olds I know (I've 16 yr old twins so I know a lot) are heavily involved in sports, drinking is starting but mostly parties, once a month tops, certainly not the pub scene) don't go drinking at weekends.

Depends on the employer, under 18 they can be paid 70% of minimum wage, about €6.48. Plus under 18 they can work in bars/shops that sell alcohol but they can't be involved in selling alcohol. So that rules out working behind the bar or lounge boy/girl or even working in the local shop at the till if it sells wine/beer. If their 16 or 17 they can't sell it.

I totally agree, I told the OP a thoughtful present for his parents around 10 or 20e was plenty, it's not about the money. I see nothing pretentious in getting my 82yr old dad a christmas present, or 16yr old kids presents, I don't think present giving ever stops, but the value of the presents does drop as they get older.

It does depend on the family background, if parents can't afford it they shouldn't feel pressurised into getting their kids expensive presents. We don't know the OP's situation, it sounds like he's clued in and knows his parents budget is approx 250e. He's been thoughtful coming here looking for advise. So I think offering to his parents that they get the console and he gets the controllers/games is a mature way to deal with the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Ariana Grande

Except he’s not an adult “basically” at all so. Also look up minimum wage laws for children under the age of 18 before you comment more nonsense because he is definitely not on €9/hr.
    You’re talking through your ass tbh bud!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Resorting to name calling ?
    Do you expect my feelings to be hurt ?

Why don't you learn to explain your contrasting point on view instead ?
    At what age do you stop shelling out 300 for a present for a kid, and at what age would you consider them adults ?

This is a discussion board, you make yourself look like a fool if all you can do is throw level effort trash comments at people.

My god you are beyond pathetic man..and a little bit odd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Can't we all just get along? The kid asked for advice on how to approach a certain situation, no need to be falling out over it....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Thread has served its purpose I think. Apologies it got dragged off track OP, hope you got some helpful suggestions!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement