Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I asking for too much for Christmas?

Options
  • 17-10-2017 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi im a 16 year old and i am hoping to get a nintendo switch for Christmas. Normally my parents would spend about €250 per child but the nintendo switch is about €430 for the console and two games. I do have a job so im willing to pay for some of it but i know my parents will feel bad taking my money but i dont want to put them under financial pressure. What should i do?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My advice:

Get a better job

or

Get richer parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Do you have any console you be willing to trade in as part of a deal to reduce the cost on your parents

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Buy it yourself and let your parents have this year off as your present to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

If you can, buy the console yourself & only ask them for a game or two.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,682 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Buy it yourself and ask them for a few games and accessories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Ask Santa for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Spend it on cheap beer and go drink in a field.

Sorry sorry that's how I spent my money at 16.

If you don't want to put the folks under financial pressure don't ask for it. Save with your job and buy it later. It'll feel like a bigger reward.

Or buy a Wii U, yes it's a dead console but the console and games are cheaper and has loads of amazing games including the new Zelda game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Just ask them for it,
    They're parents, you're their kid, it's Christmas. Use all this to your advantage If they start whinging say you'll contribute towards it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

come to a deal where you split the cost

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Michelle_b

Ask for gift card for the place to buy it for €250 and then you pay the rest. That way not putting them under pressure and they be happy you got what you wanted. Might be cheaper Black Friday end of November

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭EIREAROEIRE

hand up a few bob extra every week til xmas and let them know u deserve it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

You can get one for 370 in CEX. So there's a few bob knocked off already. Trade some other stuff in for store credit and you should be closer to your mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If you have a job I'd genuinely just say buy the console yourself before hand and ask them for whatever accessories and a couple of games you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Argos and Smyths have deals on them

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Clio1617 wrote: »
    Hi im a 16 year old and i am hoping to get a nintendo switch for Christmas. Normally my parents would spend about €250 per child but the nintendo switch is about €430 for the console and two games. I do have a job so im willing to pay for some of it but i know my parents will feel bad taking my money but i dont want to put them under financial pressure. What should i do?

Rounding up, that's almost half a grand.

Yes. It's too much. Chip in a few hundred yourself. I can guarantee they won't feel bad and will take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Probably best to say thats what you want but you know its expensive and let you contribute to it too but make it clear you want to contribute too.

You're obviously not a shíthead otherwise this thought wouldnt cross your mind. Suggest it quietly to your mam and let her bring it to your da in her way then.

If that fails start acting up at school and hold them ransom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I think the gift card is a good option, that way you don't get more or less than your siblings and there will be an element of pride when you save up for the remainder yourself - you seem like a mature young adult, hope you get it....

Buy the console for yourself as your own Christmas present. Get them to buy you a few games.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

If you're working, why are you getting presents from your parents?

Imagine your granny spending lots of cash on your parents.

tedpan wrote: »
    If you're working, why are you getting presents from your parents?

Imagine your granny spending lots of cash on your parents.

Why the fcuk not? How ****ty is christmas in your house?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Why the fcuk not? How ****ty is christmas in your house?

I'm not 12 anymore. We buy anything we want throughout the year, so find it difficult to buy stuff at Christmas for the sake of it, let alone getting presents from/for my parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I'm not 12 anymore. We buy anything we want throughout the year, so find it difficult to buy stuff at Christmas for the sake of it, let alone getting presents from/for my parents.

I'm 40. I get presents from and give presents to my parents at Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Grim

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭argentum

have a word with your parents and ask them how much they were planning to spend on a present for each of you in case they were planning to cut back.
    Offer to pay the balance yourself but ask other family members who normally get you a present to buy you a gift card for Smyths or Argos or wherever you plan to get the console.
    Use these cards to buy games in the sale after Christmas that you want to cut down on what you have to spend

Me and my brother used to share a present if it was something big. I'd sometimes get something for christmas and my birthday (January). Ask your parents exactly what you asked us.

I'm 40. I get presents from and give presents to my parents at Christmas

they don't cost 500 quid per head though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

endacl wrote: »
    Rounding up, that's almost half a grand.

Yes. It's too much. Chip in a few hundred yourself. I can guarantee they won't feel bad and will take it.

Half a grand is too much? Hardly.

Al ot of parents with normal jobs would spend thousands.

Half a grand is too much? Hardly.

Al ot of parents with normal jobs would spend thousands.

500 quid on a single child is an excessive amount to a working class family dude.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The OP is 16 and arguably not in a position to buy whatever he/she wants throughout the year. I'm impressed that the OP is thinking about his parents and their means, it shows they know the value of money and don't want to be taking the mick. OP, I think the voucher suggestions are probably the best idea here and if you really want it for Christmas day, perhaps explain that to your parents, they might give you the voucher/money in advance so you can buy the Switch and have it for the Christmas holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

You got christmas presents until you were 12 years of age?

LUXURY!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement