Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sofa - 8cm longer than door is high

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭emo72

That sofa looks seriously easy to deliver. I mean the back cushions can be crushed down. Even better if they are removable. Forget about the overall height the cushions are just fluff. It's the height to the solid back. I'd love it if that was in your hall right now. I'd lash down and help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Where have you seen the modular sofa??? Sounds just like what I need!

The M&S brochure is very detailed on sizes - I doubt very much that removing cushions would make much difference - or feet for that matter (it's practically on the ground already).

I had a look at the M&S brochure, it doesn't give a height without cushions.The feet will be at least 5 cm. If it's narrower than the doorframe with these removed it will go in . Straight and then tilt it back.
    The sofa is smaller (I think) than the one i got in.
    The modular i've seen was in Ikea, i think there is one in Hanley's too in Liffey Valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

You're sofa will be something like this...
    ____
    |___|
    |___|____
    |________|
    |________|

To get it through the door, the narrowest width is if it's tilted with the bottom left corner along one side of the door, and the corners of the back and arm rests along the other.
    You'd be surprised how a few extra cm from removing cushions can give you just enough to squeeze it through.

You'll still need room to lift and turn it to get it through the door, this may depend on hall width, location of door and stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,915 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

emo72 wrote: »
    That sofa looks seriously easy to deliver. I mean the back cushions can be crushed down. Even better if they are removable. Forget about the overall height the cushions are just fluff. It's the height to the solid back. I'd love it if that was in your hall right now. I'd lash down and help you.

Be careful, I might just take you up on that :D
    The Mulk wrote: »
    I had a look at the M&S brochure, it doesn't give a height without cushions.The feet will be at least 5 cm. If it's narrower than the doorframe with these removed it will go in . Straight and then tilt it back.
    The sofa is smaller (I think) than the one i got in.
    The modular i've seen was in Ikea, i think there is one in Hanley's too in Liffey Valley.

I'll have to go out to the shop with my measuring tape so!

Will also check that Ikea one, although I've never seen anything I like there.... I love the M&S one, it'd definitely be my top choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

A lot of sofas (not all unfortunately) have removable arms to let them fit through narrow doors, get them up stairs in apartments etc.
    There's usually a zip or something similar where you can open the bottom covering and get your hand in to unscrew the bolts holding them on. If you're lucky it can save you an awful lot of hassle.

I'll have to go out to the shop with my measuring tape so!

Will also check that Ikea one, although I've never seen anything I like there.... I love the M&S one, it'd definitely be my top choice.

Check Arnotts too. Our one's are still going 13 years later, although the 3 seater looks a bit tired now, wasn't cheap at the time, but well worth the money

The Mulk wrote: »
    Check Arnotts too. Our one's are still going 13 years later, although the 3 seater looks a bit tired now, wasn't cheap at the time, but well worth the money

My back is absolutely broken with a "cheap" (it wasn't cheap!) leather one that I've had for about 10 years.

I'll pay almost literally any money for one that will support my back (and as a bonus allow me to lie out full length in front of the telly :D)

This one is the nicest I've seen so far, if it'll just fit in the bloody room!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,163 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What Spurscormac is what I was trying to say. If you imagine a line from the top front of the back to the top front of the cushion (I don't think the arms will be a problem) then measure from the back bottom corner diagonally to that line, if it is less than the width of the door it should go in. I still doubt it, but that is your narrowest measurement.

looksee wrote: »
    What Spurscormac is what I was trying to say. If you imagine a line from the top front of the back to the top front of the cushion (I don't think the arms will be a problem) then measure from the back bottom corner diagonally to that line, if it is less than the width of the door it should go in. I still doubt it, but that is your narrowest measurement.

Gotcha!

• Advertisement

Well, firstly thanks to everyone for their advice and suggestions, which prompted me to look at this in different ways!

Went out to M&S to measure up again (nearly had a heart attack when I saw all the furniture gone in Liffey Valley to make way for the Christmas Shop :eek: but thankfully found one left on the floor in town) - and someone who posted earlier was right - the measurements in the brochure do include the cushions! (ffs :rolleyes:)

The brilliant news is, the back is actually only 72cm high, and as it turns out I have rear access to the house that's 80cm wide - so unless they turn up in a 40' artic that won't fit up the back lane, I'm sorted :) (and if they do, they can bloody carry it up the lane :D)

Thanks again everyone, you've all been very helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Take the glass out of the window.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Take the glass out of the window.

Yeah, no.

What if the window is narrower than the door? (which is is!)

Well, firstly thanks to everyone for their advice and suggestions, which prompted me to look at this in different ways!

Went out to M&S to measure up again (nearly had a heart attack when I saw all the furniture gone in Liffey Valley to make way for the Christmas Shop :eek: but thankfully found one left on the floor in town) - and someone who posted earlier was right - the measurements in the brochure do include the cushions! (ffs :rolleyes:)

The brilliant news is, the back is actually only 72cm high, and as it turns out I have rear access to the house that's 80cm wide - so unless they turn up in a 40' artic that won't fit up the back lane, I'm sorted :) (and if they do, they can bloody carry it up the lane :D)

Thanks again everyone, you've all been very helpful!
    Nice one, enjoy

I'd say a few people would be happy to help. If you live near me, I'll offer to help, too. :)

I've delivered furniture for a few years and although there are a few things that you will struggle to get through doorways (only ever had one failure, and that was an American Fridge into a tight hallway and angled kitchen door..) sofas are usually grand.

1 - The box will be square, so remove it from the box.
    2 - Take off anything you can. The feet, any cushions, sometimes the arms are removable or have removable tops. If it's a recliner, the back is generally removable.
    3 - Get the duvet off your bed and put it on the floor.
    4 - Put the sofa on the duvet, and use the duvet to drag it around (so your not scratching the sofa or floor).
    5 - Bring the sofa to the door, on it's side. Bring it as close as possible.
    6 - Person inside the room pulls the duvet (and thus the bottom of the sofa)
    7 - The top of the sofa starts falling back, and as a result, isn't as tall.
    8 - Person outside the room steadies the top of the sofa and walks into the room with it.
    9 - Place the sofa in the correct position, place all removable pieces back on it.
    10 - Consider washing the duvet.

Be grand.

You might have to 'twirl' the sofa through the door if the door is unusually small or the sofa is unusually deep, but generally you'll be okay, and remember that cushions etc. are squishy and give some wiggle room.

Best of luck with it.

Advertisement