Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sofa - 8cm longer than door is high

Options
  • 17-10-2017 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭

As per the title -

I want to order a sofa that's 8cm longer than my sitting room doorway is high.

I know it's difficult to say without pictures or seeing the set-up in reality - but is there anyone on here with experience of shifting sofas who could say if it'd be possible to somehow manipulate it in? Or is that just a physical impossibility?

There aren't any legs that can be taken off, as far as I know.

I've tried every angle to ask the shop (M&S) can I ask their delivery people or at least someone with actual experience of delivering - but no joy (took me weeks to even get a number that I could dial from an Irish mobile!)

I know it might be an impossible question to answer - but just said I'd ask anyhow! It'd be a very expensive mistake if I ordered and then discovered it won't go in......

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Will the sofa go through to door on its side? Ie horizontally? Instead if vertically? ( which you seem to be implying)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭emo72

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    As per the title -

I know it's difficult to say without pictures or seeing the set-up in reality - but is there anyone on here with experience of shifting sofas who could say if it'd be possible to somehow manipulate it in? Or is that just a physical impossibility?

I've tried every angle to ask the shop (M&S) can I ask their delivery people or at least someone with actual experience of delivering - but no joy (took me weeks to even get a number that I could dial from an Irish mobile!)

I know it might be an impossible question to answer - but just said I'd ask anyhow! It'd be a very expensive mistake if I ordered and then discovered it won't go in......

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, this is my specialty you'll be glad to know. Standing on its side outside the door, lift it up into the air and as you pull from the bottom slide it through the door. Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Only one word for this.

PIVOT!!!!

Head over to youtube and search big couch through door. Gives you an idea of what you can get through a door and what ways and angles to get it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

What depth is the sofa?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Only one word for this.

PIVOT!!!!

Head over to youtube and search big couch through door. Gives you an idea of what you can get through a door and what ways and angles to get it through.

But (and apologies if I didn't make this clear in the OP) standing it up on one arm, it's 8cm higher than the doorway. Can the angles be worked to get it through still, or is it just impossible?

I do know about standing it up and rotating it through the doorway back/seat first, but that's only guaranteed if the height (from arm to arm) is less than the doorway.

God, it's hard to describe this in writing!!!

Off to youtube to search for "big couch through door" :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Delivery guys can usually get them in. Doors are a standard size. It would be a foolish sofa maker who made a sofa could not fit in for the vast majority of people.

It's all Maths really.

spurious wrote: »
    Delivery guys can usually get them in. Doors are a standard size. It would be a foolish sofa maker who made a sofa could not fit in for the vast majority of people.

It's all Maths really.

Mmmm - mine is a very old house, not sure the doorways are as big as in modern houses!

As for the trig - :eek:

GingerLily wrote: »
    What depth is the sofa?

Not sure - don't have the brochure with me! I just know that arm to arm is 8cam longer than the height of the doorway.

I can provide measurements of doorway and sofa later if it's of any use to anyone who can advise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

You do realise the sofa doesn't have to be standing on it's side when moved?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Not sure - don't have the brochure with me! I just know that arm to arm is 8cam longer than the height of the doorway.

I can provide measurements of doorway and sofa later if it's of any use to anyone who can advise!

Is it wider than the width of the door? You could bring it in on its side then slide it into the living room?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

As per the title -

Thanks in advance!
    Tilt it?

Pelvis wrote: »
    You do realise the sofa doesn't have to be standing on it's side when moved?

Well it surely ain't going in horizontally!

Firstly because it's a chunky boxy shape and the doorway definitely isn't wide enough.

And secondly because the doorway is off a reasonably narrow hallway, and at the end of the stairs so it definitely wouldn't rotate around even if it would fit through the doorway.

So it'll have to go in up on it's side.

Stheno wrote: »
    Is it wider than the width of the door? You could bring it in on its side then slide it into the living room?

I'm fairly sure it is. Big square boxy shape. Not 100% sure but worth checking when I get home though!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm fairly sure it is. Big square boxy shape. Not 100% sure but worth checking when I get home though!

Stand it up so and tilt it and start sliding it in through the door and lower it once you get enough of it in

Stheno wrote: »
    Stand it up so and tilt it and start sliding it in through the door and lower it once you get enough of it in

Sorry, obviously didn't make myself clear! I think it'll be wider than the doorway when horizontal, so will need to pivot around into the room.

I think I know what you're saying, and I'll check when I get home - but I'm 99% sure that it'll be too wide/deep for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Ground floor? In the window if so!

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

Do furniture delivery people ever do this for customers?

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    Ground floor? In the window if so!

:eek:

They're even narrower! And old. Not gonna happen!!
    5T3PH3N wrote: »
    Do furniture delivery people ever do this for customers?

Do what? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

:eek:

They're even narrower! And old. Not gonna happen!!

Do what? :confused:

Sorry, I meant to quote the poster above me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Please let us know the outcome of this, hope you get get the sofa into where you want it

• Advertisement

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Please let us know the outcome of this, hope you get get the sofa into where you want it

Trouble is, I don't want to order the sofa until I am reasonably sure it'll go in the door..... would be a VERY expensive mistake to make if it doesnt :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is this from an online or a real shop? If real, go in and either measure it or ask to speak to the manager and ask her. If there's a few bob to be made or lost, they wont be long about telling you.

As I said, I would be amazed if a mass produced sofa didn't fit through standard doors of the past hundred years or so.

OK - the doorway is 195cm high, 70cm wide

The couch is 203cm long (arm to arm), 97cm high (floor to top of back) and 99cm deep (front to back).

So even if the doorway was open from all angles (it's effectively a 90 degree turn in from hallway), the sofa wouldn't go through just horizontally.

So.... the question is, given that it has to go in upright (ie up on one arm), can that extra 8cm be wriggled through somehow or are the laws of physics just against me on this one?

(I do appreciate that this may be an impossible question to answer!)

To the last poster - I've seen the sofa in the flesh, staff in the shop are no help (they're just sales people and if they express an opinion it's usually along the lines of "well if it's bigger than the doorway then......"), staff on the customer helpline are even less help - so I've resorted to here in the hope that someone with practical experience of this might be able to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't think that is going to go through the doorway. It was probably designed to go through more modern doors that are wider. You can get it to outside the door on end, then lift the bottom end and thread it diagonally through, ie with the bottom back corner on the ground and the rest of the sofa at an angle. This will only work if the arms are lower than the line between the front edge of the seat cushion and the back of the sofa. If not, then its a no-go.

__T39_9005_VP__EC_LARGE_NANT_90?$PDP_LANDSCP$

Hope that link works....

Thanks for that Looksee.... not sure I quite understand the last bit though.

If you can see that image, would that tend to confirm your suspicion that it won't fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

OK - the doorway is 195cm high, 70cm wide

The couch is 203cm long (arm to arm), 97cm high (floor to top of back) and 99cm deep (front to back).

So even if the doorway was open from all angles (it's effectively a 90 degree turn in from hallway), the sofa wouldn't go through just horizontally.

So.... the question is, given that it has to go in upright (ie up on one arm), can that extra 8cm be wriggled through somehow or are the laws of physics just against me on this one?

(I do appreciate that this may be an impossible question to answer!)

To the last poster - I've seen the sofa in the flesh, staff in the shop are no help (they're just sales people and if they express an opinion it's usually along the lines of "well if it's bigger than the doorway then......"), staff on the customer helpline are even less help - so I've resorted to here in the hope that someone with practical experience of this might be able to help!

When we moved house, I brought our couch with us. I had to remove the door, architrave and doorframe to get it into the sitting room. The main problem was how close the doorway was to the bannisters. I couldn't get the 'pivot' i needed. I had to take the feet off the couch too.
    The couch would fit into the kitchen/dining room no problem, doors are the same size.

The Mulk wrote: »
    When we moved house, I brought our couch with us. I had to remove the door, architrave and doorframe to get it into the sitting room. The main problem was how close the doorway was to the bannisters. I couldn't get the 'pivot' i needed. I had to take the feet off the couch too.
    The couch would fit into the kitchen/dining room no problem, doors are the same size.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I won't be dismantling any doorframes, that's for sure!

It's quite a tight turn off a small enough hallway, so I'm starting to think I may give up on my desire to have a sofa I can properly lie flat out on:(

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭downesy

Check to see if the arms are removable.

I recently bought two large four seater couches online (probably stupid as I didn't even think about it fitting into the house). The delivery lads were able to remove the arms from the couches, get them into the sitting room and then put them on again. You would never know the arms could be removed - certainly doesn't look like they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I won't be dismantling any doorframes, that's for sure!

It's quite a tight turn off a small enough hallway, so I'm starting to think I may give up on my desire to have a sofa I can properly lie flat out on:(

Yeah my sofa was 10 years old, so i didn't mind squeezing it a bit through the door.
    Can you measure it without all the cushions on it. It might be a bit more maneuverable. Ask for the feet to be left off. until delivery.
    I've an eye on a modular sofa, comes in pieces and assembled then in the room.

• Advertisement

The Mulk wrote: »
    Yeah my sofa was 10 years old, so i didn't mind squeezing it a bit through the door.
    Can you measure it without all the cushions on it. It might be a bit more maneuverable. Ask for the feet to be left off. until delivery.
    I've an eye on a modular sofa, comes in pieces and assembled then in the room.

Where have you seen the modular sofa??? Sounds just like what I need!

The M&S brochure is very detailed on sizes - I doubt very much that removing cushions would make much difference - or feet for that matter (it's practically on the ground already).

Advertisement