Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N55 - Athlone to Ballymahon [preferred route published; complete before 2032]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

Good thing something is being done with this road. Has some awful sections. Ballykeeran in particular is a kip. No offense to the Ballykeeraners, but a steep drop into the town, a 90 degree bend and then a steep ascent?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Good to hear. The N55 from Athlone to Edgeworthstown in particular is an atrocious section of road.

Is the Centre Parcs proposal for Ballymahon actually going ahead? I had heard of its announcement but nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Good to hear. The N55 from Athlone to Edgeworthstown in particular is an atrocious section of road.

Is the Centre Parcs proposal for Ballymahon actually going ahead? I had heard of its announcement but nothing since.

Ya work is started on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Good, this road is like a rollercoaster coming out of Athlone. The angle dips are incredible for a national road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

road_high wrote: »
    Good, this road is like a rollercoaster coming out of Athlone. The angle dips are incredible for a national road.
    Not only that but with our changing demographic situation, we need to consider re-designating some National Secondary Roads as National Primary given the strategic importance of some. Examples would include the N52 (Belfast to Limerick (N33)), N54/N55 (Belfast to Galway (N12)), N61 (Athlone to Sligo (N34)), N62 (Cork to Athlone (N35)) etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭roadmaster

• Registered Users Posts: 14,410 ✭✭✭✭elperello

road_high wrote: »

You are right but I'll miss that car park at the top of the hill.
    Great view over the Inner Lakes and out to Lough Ree.
    One of the best inland views in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

What stage is this plan at - it's supposed to be done by 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

elperello wrote: »
    You are right but I'll miss that car park at the top of the hill.
    Great view over the Inner Lakes and out to Lough Ree.
    One of the best inland views in Ireland.

The pace infrastructure moves at in this country, it'll be a while before you'll be missing the car park!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

• Advertisement

whyulittle wrote: »

Sure we'll all have to go into Glasson anyway to charge up our electric gizmos by then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I bet this doesn't even incorporate a bypass of Ballymahon which is a load of shlte

And a couple of more jobs that wouldn't cost much would be -

1-The right turn outside Ballymahon where you leave the Lanesborough road towards Keenagh.
    2- The sharp left about a mile further on towards Keenagh.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Surely a planning prerequisite for the CenterParcs development would be that the local roads that will serve the complex are upgraded?

This is putting the cart before the horse. CenterParcs are very large facilities that draw in a lot of people. How will the N55 and other local roads cope?:confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Surely a planning prerequisite for the CenterParcs development would be that the local roads that will serve the complex are upgraded?

This is putting the cart before the horse. CenterParcs are very large facilities that draw in a lot of people. How will the N55 and other local roads cope?:confused:

They really don't generate that much traffic at all. Workers arrive very much staggered traffic wise; guests arrive over an entire day.

The infrastructure needs of Centreparcs were gone in to in detail - hence the gas line.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Med101007

Can anyone tell me where exactly the Center Parcs development is taking place? Is the site located on the Athlone side of Ballymahon? I need to visit the site offices tomorrow and I don't really know the area that well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Med101007 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where exactly the Center Parcs development is taking place? Is the site located on the Athlone side of Ballymahon? I need to visit the site offices tomorrow and I don't really know the area that well.

It'll be on your Right hand side if your coming from Mullingar approaching Ballymahon.
    If your in Ballymahon, go past the Garda station on your left stay on that road it will be on your left before a sign post for Abbeyshrule, again this is the road to Mullingar

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

roadmaster wrote: »
    Good. Iron out any issues now rather than when it gets to An Bord Pleanala.

Anyone familiar with the area want to comment on the project so far?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 tullyhumphry

I live very close to Route B and it looks like it will be one of the preferred options. As part of the submission process we have been asked to propose the best alternative route if we don't believe the one affecting us is suitable. Many of the residents living along the existing N55 (Ballykeeran, Glasson, Tubberclaire and Tang) have chosen Route B as the best alternative as it will mean they will be living on/ beside a nice quiet local road in the future. I was told a number of farmers on Route B have already been approached regarding CPO but this could just be a rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

N61 (Athlone to Sligo (N34)), N62 (Cork to Athlone (N35)) etc.
    I think it should go one further and reassign parts of each road. 
    N61 should only be made primary from Athlone to Roscommon (as its a star junction of sorts for other secondary routes)  The routes from there on not so much. Those going to Sligo (outside of Athlone to Sligo traffic, not much) would use the N4 or N17, both of which with upgrades planned. Roscommon to Boyle, leave as secondary. Little to no traffic. Straighten out some bits but generally that's getting done already.
    N62... Ah c'mon. Athlone to Cork can be achieved much safer and faster by going M6->N52->N80->M7->M8.  The N80 Tullamore to Portlaoise upgrade when done will copper fasten that (and back up the need for alot of  N52 to be primary). In fact when M20 is complete, you can get to Cork doing M6->M18->M20. Nobody should have to go near Birr and/or the bogs without actually wanting to go there in the first place.
    Lets spend the pennies we get for Infrastructure wisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

N61 (Athlone to Sligo (N34)), N62 (Cork to Athlone (N35)) etc.
    I think it should go one further and reassign parts of each road. 
    N61 should only be made primary from Athlone to Roscommon (as its a star junction of sorts for other secondary routes)  The routes from there on not so much. Those going to Sligo (outside of Athlone to Sligo traffic, not much) would use the N4 or N17, both of which with upgrades planned. Roscommon to Boyle, leave as secondary. Little to no traffic. Straighten out some bits but generally that's getting done already.
    N62... Ah c'mon. Athlone to Cork can be achieved much safer and faster by going M6->N52->N80->M7->M8.  The N80 Tullamore to Portlaoise upgrade when done will copper fasten that (and back up the need for alot of  N52 to be primary). In fact when M20 is complete, you can get to Cork doing M6->M18->M20. Nobody should have to go near Birr and/or the bogs without actually wanting to go there in the first place.
    Lets spend the pennies we get for Infrastructure wisely.

The M6-M18-M20 would be a very nice alternative to M6->N52->N80->M7->M8 whenever it is complete (is there any sort of ETA for the M20?). What would that cut the journey down to? 2:30? The M6->N52->N80->M7->M8 route hovers around the 2:45 mark depending if there's light traffic on the N52 and N80.

Selfishly though, I'm in east Cork so an upgrade of the N52 & N80 would be great, as going out towards Galway/Limerick would be swinging quite far west to go back east again in Cork.

The N62 is a horrible road to go on though and I would have thought it was a busy link connecting Athlone to Birr, Nenagh, Thurles, Limerick.

Does anyone know what option the locals are more in favor off?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

roadmaster wrote: »
    Does anyone know what option the locals are more in favor off?

I've only heard the opinions of a few locals but... B I think, taking it wide of Glasson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

medoc wrote: »

Project Engineer in Westmeath National Roads Office, Ann Marie Corroon, said that the timeframe for the project is “between eight and thirteen years”...

:(

Advertisement