Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

New motorway

  • 12-10-2017 8:20pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ jimbo1979


    Does anybody have any information on the new Ross by-pass?will Waterford technically have two motorways to Dublin when it's completed.maybe Dublin might decentralize some investment into Waterford if we have two motorways running between the two cities


«13

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 18,459 ✭✭✭✭ road_high


    jimbo1979 wrote: »
    Does anybody have any information on the new Ross by-pass?will Waterford technically have two motorways to Dublin when it's completed.maybe Dublin might decentralize some investment into Waterford if we have two motorways running between the two cities

    It's definitely not "two motorways". The N25 will be a dual carriageway by pass of new ross. There'll still be approx 35km of single carriageway N30 to link with the M11 at Enniscorthy. You'd be halfway to Dublin on the M9 in the time you'd waste there alone. The main benefit is improved link to Rosslare and Wexford itself.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭ dzilla


    there will be single lane national road between glenmore and the new ross bypass and then from a new ross to enniscorthy. So no there will not be another extra motorway nor will it be dual carraigeway the whole way to Enniscorthy - Dublin Motorway


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,086 ✭✭✭✭ Harry Palmr


    I thought the New Ross - Enniscorthy boreen was getting proper treatment.


  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ jimbo1979


    I see limerick-cork motorway has just been announced.now when will they link waterford-cork waterford-limerick motorway so Waterford gets a fair status like our Munster neighbours


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭ Johnboy1951


    Rosslare to Limerick is the one most in need of building IMO.

    Anyone landing in Rosslare and wishing to go west is in for a most horrible time.

    The previous intention to bypass all those towns on the way through Tipperary has been abandoned apparently.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭ BBM77


    jimbo1979 wrote: »
    I see limerick-cork motorway has just been announced.now when will they link waterford-cork waterford-limerick motorway so Waterford gets a fair status like our Munster neighbours

    “Waterford not be forgotten”

    Building a motorway between Waterford and Limerick would have achieved the same things, spread the advantages over the entire Munster area and would have been more cost effective. So now the southeast which was a region which suffered very badly from the recession is again going to be left at a greater disadvantage. Where the hell are our TD’s? They should be shouting about this!


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,459 ✭✭✭✭ road_high


    Rosslare to Limerick is the one most in need of building IMO.

    Anyone landing in Rosslare and wishing to go west is in for a most horrible time.

    The previous intention to bypass all those towns on the way through Tipperary has been abandoned apparently.

    Limerick to Cahir is back on the table. That's the worst section of the current N24 really


  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭✭ pat ticket


    BBM77 wrote: »
    “Waterford not be forgotten”

    Building a motorway between Waterford and Limerick would have achieved the same things, spread the advantages over the entire Munster area and would have been more cost effective. So now the southeast which was a region which suffered very badly from the recession is again going to be left at a greater disadvantage. Where the hell are our TD’s? They should be shouting about this!

    The argument for building an M24 instead of an M20 has been discredited, hence why the M20 is now being built. I suggest you have a read of the various threads on the topic in the Roads Forum to give you an outline of why this is.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,086 ✭✭✭✭ Harry Palmr


    I just want a decent 21st century N24 not a motorway.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭ Max Powers


    pat ticket wrote: »
    The argument for building an M24 instead of an M20 has been discredited, hence why the M20 is now being built. I suggest you have a read of the various threads on the topic in the Roads Forum to give you an outline of why this is.

    Discredited?.....just more political weight probably


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭✭ pat ticket


    Max Powers wrote: »
    Discredited?.....just more political weight probably

    Yes the roads forum carries a lot weight politically :lol:


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,086 ✭✭✭✭ Harry Palmr


    No, the ministers in Cork and Limerick dummy! :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭✭ pat ticket


    No, the ministers in Cork and Limerick dummy! :)

    They must have read Martin Cullens playbook


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭ Max Powers


    pat ticket wrote: »
    Yes the roads forum carries a lot weight politically :lol:

    Don't be silly pat, you know the main reason the 20 is on the agenda and with decent chance happening soon and 24 not is political weight....from politicians that is....just to confirm the bleedingly obvious to everyone else.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭ Johnboy1951


    road_high wrote: »
    Limerick to Cahir is back on the table. That's the worst section of the current N24 really

    Back on for what?
    Just by-passing the towns & villages and joining into the existing road, or on the table for an improved road all the way?

    Any estimate on start date?

    It needs at minimum a dual carriageway from Limerick to Waterford, and probably all the way to Rosslare.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭ BBM77


    pat ticket wrote: »
    The argument for building an M24 instead of an M20 has been discredited, hence why the M20 is now being built. I suggest you have a read of the various threads on the topic in the Roads Forum to give you an outline of why this is.

    Discredited by who? For god sake everything that involves spending government money that would benefit Waterford is discredited. Nobody with half a brain takes these arguments seriously at this stage.


  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ jimbo1979


    If Waterford and Tipperary politicians got there fingers out and propose the cork Limerick route goes through mitchelstown then Waterford could link a new motorway from Waterford to mitchelstown and that would give Waterford a motorway to both cork and Limerick and link up the 3 cities for the same price as building a whole new motorway from cork to Limerick


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭ Johnboy1951


    I don't see the point in having a motorway between Cork & Waterford, while there remains no decent road (dual carriageway or motorway) between Waterford and Limerick.
    Motorways along coasts are nice to have, but thos inland serve a larger area.

    I can see the need for Cork to Limerick motorway, and help serve East Kerry too.


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,459 ✭✭✭✭ road_high


    BBM77 wrote: »
    Discredited by who? For god sake everything that involves spending government money that would benefit Waterford is discredited. Nobody with half a brain takes these arguments seriously at this stage.

    If you want to link Cork and Limerick the M20 is the best and most direct way. The N24 requires separate investment also.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭ BBM77


    jimbo1979 wrote: »
    If Waterford and Tipperary politicians got there fingers out and propose the cork Limerick route goes through mitchelstown then Waterford could link a new motorway from Waterford to mitchelstown and that would give Waterford a motorway to both cork and Limerick and link up the 3 cities for the same price as building a whole new motorway from cork to Limerick

    Precisely.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭ BBM77


    road_high wrote: »
    If you want to link Cork and Limerick the M20 is the best and most direct way. The N24 requires separate investment also.

    Yes, but common sense would tell you that the most cost effective, beneficial to the largest area and fairest way would be to link Waterford with the M8 and the M8 to Limerick. It would still achieve what they want in building a motorway between Cork and Limerick. Not that this is how these decisions are made in reality.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭ Max Powers


    jimbo1979 wrote: »
    If Waterford and Tipperary politicians got there fingers out and propose the cork Limerick route goes through mitchelstown then Waterford could link a new motorway from Waterford to mitchelstown and that would give Waterford a motorway to both cork and Limerick and link up the 3 cities for the same price as building a whole new motorway from cork to Limerick

    Politicians , councils and councillors from tipp and the south east have already done that .the cost benefits and sound reasons mean little if the likes of coveney,m.Martin, Noonan, etc want their own more expensive motorway with their name on it.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭ TheQuietFella


    jimbo1979 wrote: »
    Does anybody have any information on the new Ross by-pass?will Waterford technically have two motorways to Dublin when it's completed.maybe Dublin might decentralize some investment into Waterford if we have two motorways running between the two cities

    Oh no we won't!


  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭✭ pat ticket


    BBM77 wrote: »
    Yes, but common sense would tell you that the most cost effective, beneficial to the largest area and fairest way would be to link Waterford with the M8 and the M8 to Limerick. It would still achieve what they want in building a motorway between Cork and Limerick. Not that this is how these decisions are made in reality.

    Again, I urge you to have a read of the threads in the Roads Forum on the benefits of an M20 vs M24/M513.

    Most current N20 traffic isnt end to end (4% of total journies iirc). The objective of the M20 isnt just to link Cork - Limerick, its to improve journey times from the various towns on the route which are in the commuter belt of both cities.

    Also on the cost effectiveness point, a spur from the current M20 to the M8 would require significant tunnelling through mountains which is extremely expensive, and the current N20 would still require significant upgrading, so your point about it being more cost effective doesnt really stand up to scrutiny.

    Before you respond I'd suggest you browse the threads referenced in the Roads forum where there's hundreds of posts on this exact topic, much food for thought.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭ Max Powers


    pat ticket wrote: »
    Again, I urge you to have a read of the threads in the Roads Forum on the benefits of an M20 vs M24/M513.

    Most current N20 traffic isnt end to end (4% of total journies iirc). The objective of the M20 isnt just to link Cork - Limerick, its to improve journey times from the various towns on the route which are in the commuter belt of both cities.

    Also on the cost effectiveness point, a spur from the current M20 to the M8 would require significant tunnelling through mountains which is extremely expensive, and the current N20 would still require significant upgrading, so your point about it being more cost effective doesnt really stand up to scrutiny.

    Before you respond I'd suggest you browse the threads referenced in the Roads forum where there's hundreds of posts on this exact topic, much food for thought.

    Motorway to cahir half the cost, most important stat ignored.


  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭✭ pat ticket


    Max Powers wrote: »
    Motorway to cahir half the cost, most important stat ignored.

    As advised, a spur from M20 to M8 would be overly costly due to tunnelling.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭ Max Powers


    pat ticket wrote: »
    As advised, a spur from M20 to M8 would be overly costly due to tunnelling.

    They clearly said about half the cost if upgraded the n24 cahir to limerick, costly yes but half of other option


  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭✭ pat ticket


    Max Powers wrote: »
    They clearly said about half the cost if upgraded the n24 cahir to limerick, costly yes but half of other option

    Think we're getting projects mixed up, I'm referring to a potential spur from Mitchelstown M8 to the current M20 which was also suggested.

    For Cork - Limerick traffic, going M8 and then a potential M24 via Cahir doesn't make sense. I doubt there would be much if any time savings for end to end traffic using that route over the current N20.

    The M24 will be built eventually, it just has to wait its turn like the M20 has.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭ Max Powers


    pat ticket wrote: »
    Think we're getting projects mixed up, I'm referring to a potential spur from Mitchelstown M8 to the current M20 which was also suggested.

    For Cork - Limerick traffic, going M8 and then a potential M24 via Cahir doesn't make sense. I doubt there would be much if any time savings for end to end traffic using that route over the current N20.

    The M24 will be built eventually, it just has to wait its turn like the M20 has.

    They said cahir or potentially mitchelstowni think.if the existing road from cork to limerick is really that bad (not doubting it) then surely motorway to cahir/mitch'/limerick would make significant time savings.plus about 350m in savings too


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭ BBM77


    pat ticket wrote: »
    Think we're getting projects mixed up, I'm referring to a potential spur from Mitchelstown M8 to the current M20 which was also suggested.

    For Cork - Limerick traffic, going M8 and then a potential M24 via Cahir doesn't make sense. I doubt there would be much if any time savings for end to end traffic using that route over the current N20.

    The M24 will be built eventually, it just has to wait its turn like the M20 has.

    Ahh, this is it. Screw you jack we are alright is what you are really getting at.

    Quite frankly I find this condescending and the same attitude that has Waterford people dying on the side of roads in ambulances. I’d love to know why we have to “wait our turn” in your self-appointed pecking order when there is a perfectly viable and fairer option.


Advertisement