Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rip Screen 1 the savoy

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

There are some good shots of Screen One in it's current form I wonder will the Savoy reopen after this whole virus thing?

screenshot-2020-05-24-at-00-27-29.png

screenshot-2020-05-24-at-00-27-50.png

screenshot-2020-05-24-at-00-28-31.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Looks nice and modern.
    I think cinema is a dead medium in general, I experienced better 3D simulating a screen in a 200€ VR headset than ever in real life. Also greater dynamic range. Just saying.
    In future I imagine cinema being a subscription service to say Oculus Store ran by Amazon (who is rumored to buy up AMC in US).
    After using VR for a while you realize that there's an annoying rectangle. I think the 'true' adaptation of film into VR is 180 degree stereoscopic video. In 3D software like Blender you can export easily into that format by clicking a button. It's much more immersive this way. I watched Ghost in the Shell: Virtual Reality Diver and it's not bad.
    I imagine say Avatar being rendered separately for VR and released in Oculus / Steam Store - anything that is pure CG.
    After you watch a lot of VR you realize how deprived looking at a 2D rectangle is. I'd say it will die with the boomers like shopping malls and owning cars. Just saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ronano

Looks nice and modern.
    I think cinema is a dead medium in general, I experienced better 3D simulating a screen in a 200€ VR headset than ever in real life. Also greater dynamic range. Just saying.
    In future I imagine cinema being a subscription service to say Oculus Store ran by Amazon (who is rumored to buy up AMC in US).
    After using VR for a while you realize that there's an annoying rectangle. I think the 'true' adaptation of film into VR is 180 degree stereoscopic video. In 3D software like Blender you can export easily into that format by clicking a button. It's much more immersive this way. I watched Ghost in the Shell: Virtual Reality Diver and it's not bad.
    I imagine say Avatar being rendered separately for VR and released in Oculus / Steam Store - anything that is pure CG.
    After you watch a lot of VR you realize how deprived looking at a 2D rectangle is. I'd say it will die with the boomers like shopping malls and owning cars. Just saying.

What headset are you using?

Do you find any eye tiredness issues or any issues?

I'm really tempted to get the above setup

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

They are using a VERY wide angle lens in those shots
    Those photos are from IMC themselves! Believe it or not, Screen 1 in those shots looks rather expansive but it's a bit of an illusion, it's not like that when you see it for yourself IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Looks nice and modern.

Personally, I don't think cinema will die any time soon. Why? Because fundamentally it's popularity isn't about technology. It's not about the best sound. It's not about the clearest image.

The day that I can sit at home and have the same social "experience" as a cinema, is the day it dies.

The fact that you actually have to make the effort of leaving your own house. You're not the one with the remote control. The anticipation as the lights go down in a HUGE darkened room as you sit surrounded by complete strangers having a communal experience of laughing or screaming.

Horses for courses and some people prefer watching films by themselves, and some people need that top quality sound/image, but after a few months of lockdown I don't think Netflix has moved the majority people away from cinemas, I'm pretty convinced it's actually had the opposite effect. I can't wait to get back in the cinema.

• Advertisement

I think there is going to be a big demand for cinema in August as the social event of it is the exact opposite of what everyone has been experiencing for the past few months.
    Cinema operators may only be permitted to fill their auditoriums to an average of 50 percent capacity though.
    Although it maybe viewed that most cinema auditoriums are normally just half full anyway, but if there is a demand, the larger the auditorium, the more patrons they could probably admit and still adhere to distancing rules. I don't know if there is a cap on the amount of people permitted to attend any social gathering in one room so I could be open for correction on this.

If you take the Savoy Screen 1 in it's previous incarnation, it had a capacity of approximately 700 patrons. If that capacity were to be halved because of "these times" it could still probably cater for approximately 300 patrons at high demand.
    The way it exists now between Screens 1, 9,10,11 & 12 it would probably be just capable of catering to approximately 140-150 patrons at high demand and at 50 percent capacity as at any given time sometimes at least three of those screens are showing the same movie. It could amount up to a lot of potential revenue that is lost. I don't know.

Again, I think there is going to be a big demand for cinema, even just in the short term.

alzer100 wrote: »
    They are using a VERY wide angle lens in those shots
    Those photos are from IMC themselves! Believe it or not, Screen 1 in those shots looks rather expansive but it's a bit of an illusion, it's not like that when you see it for yourself IMHO.

Agreed however it is the best picture of the room online.
    This image from above gives a better idea of how it really feels.

0010e773-642.jpg

There is screen 9 that you get into from the old left side door of screen 1.
    Screen 10 is a mirror image of screen 9.

screenshot-2020-05-24-at-21-03-47.png

I get the impression that these five screens in the old screen one space are still better than anything upstairs in the Savoy.

Agreed however it is the best picture of the room online.
    This image from above gives a better idea of how it really feels.

0010e773-642.jpg

There is screen 9 that you get into from the old left side door of screen 1.
    Screen 10 is a mirror image of screen 9.

screenshot-2020-05-24-at-21-03-47.png

I get the impression that these five screens in the old screen one space are still better than anything upstairs in the Savoy.

Does that screen pictured in Screen 9 expand downwards, you know like to make the most of a film with a smaller aspect ratio? As it is pictured it is a scope screen (2.35:1), so if a film is shown at a smaller aspect ratio (1.85:1) are you essentially looking at black bars at each side of the screen?
    Just curious as I have not been since it opened.

Does that screen pictured in Screen 9 expand downwards, you know like to make the most of a film with a smaller aspect ratio? As it is pictured it is a scope screen (2.35:1), so if a film is shown at a smaller aspect ratio (1.85:1) are you essentially looking at black bars at each side of the screen?
    Just curious as I have not been since it opened.

All 5 new screens are scope there is NO MASKING so for a 1.85 film and the trailers there are vertical black bars on either side of the screen.

You are seeing the FULL screen in that picture.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    The day that I can sit at home and have the same social "experience" as a cinema, is the day it dies.
    There are apps that simulate a cinema experience where you can sit with other people and talk. Sometimes you can find John Carmack in them.

• Advertisement

I was really curious as I use to love the Savoy I have seen a film in screen 9 screen 11 and screen one.

I have to admit I enjoyed the film in screen 11 with only 28 seats and only about 4 other people in the room who all wanted to see the film.

The seat was really comfy the picture was bright and vibrant and the projection was lined up perfectly with the screen totally filled but not overspilling onto the wall.
    The sound was really good also.

With the lights out you can really get into the film but when you look around the room you feel sad for what we have lost.

Those rooms with 28 seats will not work for social distancing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

I'll never forget The Battle of Pelennor fields on screen one

There are apps that simulate a cinema experience where you can sit with other people and talk. Sometimes you can find John Carmack in them.

I just prefer the real thing though. Ah maybe I'm just an old dinosaur!!

I just think younger people are kind of missing out on what makes cinema really special.
    When I was growing up I was so fortunate to have real theatrical cinemas like the Adelphi, Carlton , Ambassador and Savoy.
    When Screen 1 at the Savoy had the audiences in the 80s and 90s, the Ward-Anderson family kept it fairly well maintained (Screen 1 anyway).
    Things went downhill when the families went their separate ways and the Wards took over the Savoy.

I just prefer the real thing though. Ah maybe I'm just an old dinosaur!!

I just think younger people are kind of missing out on what makes cinema really special.
    When I was growing up I was so fortunate to have real theatrical cinemas like the Adelphi, Carlton , Ambassador and Savoy.
    When Screen 1 at the Savoy had the audiences in the 80s and 90s, the Ward-Anderson family kept it fairly well maintained (Screen 1 anyway).
    Things went downhill when the families went their separate ways and the Wards took over the Savoy.

Are there any pictures of the interiors of the Adelphi and Carlton anywhere?

I can remember the Adelphi One with the stepped seating it was the best screen in the country I can not remember what the Carlton screen one looked like.

ronano wrote: »
    What headset are you using?
    Valve Index

ronano wrote: »
    Do you find any eye tiredness issues or any issues?
    It depends on the quality of the headset, tracking and software. The Valve Index is the most ergonomic system with good lenses, accurate positional tracking and the software is also very stable. Also it comes with Half Life Alyx.
    If you want to just try it out then the Oculus Go is OK. You used to be able to buy it in Argos.

Are there any pictures of the interiors of the Adelphi and Carlton anywhere?

I can remember the Adelphi One with the stepped seating it was the best screen in the country I can not remember what the Carlton screen one looked like.

There was a YouTube video showing Adelphi Screen 1, it was shot around the time of its closure but I cannot find it anymore. It showed an empty auditorium in which they closed the curtains for the last time before demolition.

I think the Carlton's Screen 1 was similar to the Adelphi Screen 1 but smaller. I'm open to correction on this.

I don't think there are any interior photos on the internet of either cinema.

There was a YouTube video showing Adelphi Screen 1, it was shot around the time of its closure but I cannot find it anymore. It showed an empty auditorium in which they closed the curtains for the last time before demolition.

I think the Carlton's Screen 1 was similar to the Adelphi Screen 1 but smaller. I'm open to correction on this.

I don't think there are any interior photos on the internet of either cinema.

A pity this was before the days of mobile phones for the masses.

I totally agree with you films were not shown they got a presentation it was a show.

Star Trek V would have been the last film I seen on the Adelphi One.:(

I seen the next one in a multiplex.

I was only small but I remember the big queue outside for Star Trek The Motion Picture back in the very late 70s.

A pity this was before the days of mobile phones for the masses.

I totally agree with you films were not shown they got a presentation it was a show.

Star Trek V would have been the last film I seen on the Adelphi One.:(

I seen the next one in a multiplex.

One of my best memories of the Adelphi was going to see Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom in the summer of 1984 with a gang of school friends. High quality sound was starting to come into the main auditoriums at that time as it was shown in 70mm with Dolby Stereo. We were on summer holidays and we were all starting secondary school that September. Then heading to McDonald's afterwards. It was such a treat and a big thing for a kid to go to McDonald's back then. Such innocent times

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Honestly, I find any suggestion VR has any capacity to supersede traditional cinema or film very unconvincing. And I say that as someone with two good VR headsets.

It's an argument that disregards film as a social experience. Many (most) people go to the cinema as friends, couples or families, or watch a film in the living room as couples, friends or families. That is not possible to replicate in VR, which by its very nature is a solitary experience (online spaces aside, but it's nowhere near the same thing).

Then there's the extremely limited uptake of VR to date. Half-Life Alyx is a masterpiece and the long-awaited next game in one of gaming's biggest critically and commercially successful series... and it's barely made a splash given how limited the VR market is. Sure, VR is *more* popular than it once was, but it remains an incredibly niche proposition.

Cinema and VR has yet to move past a few curious experiments. I've watched impressive VR movies, but they're mostly shorts designed for the medium. They're pretty few in number, TBH. Given the vast, vast majority of cinema history is designed for a flat screen and the number of worthwhile 3D movies in low single digits (honestly, I'd put the number at somewhere around one or two) then there's little benefit to VR.

And then there's simply the practicalities of it. VR remains a cumbersome prospect, with restrictive barriers for entry and a somewhat messy setup for most of the higher tier headsets. Sitting with a VR headset on for 90-120 minutes to watch a film, very likely tethered to a computer, is going to be substantially less comfortable than simply sitting watching a television.

I like VR (think HL: Alyx is probably the best gaming experience of the year) and I love cinema, and I'm sure there will be some welcome hybrids of the two. But I also have little interest in my VR headsets being used as virtual cinemas unless there's a radical shift in the density and quality of VR-centric cinema, and I will continue to eagerly await returning to the wonderful communal space of a good cinema screen. To me, cinema and VR remain distinctly separate entities, and the latter has a very long way to go to pose any sort of significant threat to the former, even as cinemas face their most significant disruption in well over a half century (EVER, arguably).

I'd say cinema will become something only hipsters go to

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Vr will never replace 2D cinema as it's a different art form. I love 3D and have 3D TV and Blu-ray but it's fatiguing to watch. It really only suits certain types of movies. The third man does not need to be 3D or VR.

2D cinemas may become niche but they need to up their game to bring cinema fans back. They have to have good quality screens and projectors.

Last few films I saw in cinemas where substandard in terms of screen quality. No one it's going to return for that. It also got too expensive. Last few movies I really wanted to see, I waited to see them on streaming services. As the quality was better than in the cinemas.

As a family we still see cinema as a treat. Something different to watching a movie at home. I would still be interested in watching my favourite movies again on the big screen and even movies I missed in the cinema. But only if it's a decent screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭OU812

More info please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭OU812

Can see myself going back to the cinema (gingerly) for the occasional blockbuster type flick, wouldn’t be nearly as often as I previously would have.

I’ve an atmos speaker set on order, and will be upgrading my 55” to a 70” as I’m putting in a home cinema for family use.

I used to go to the cinema weekly - €50 to €100 a time depending i. If it was a family movie or just the two of us, that money has been put aside since lockdown and is now going to the upgrades.

Have also spent a small fortune upgrading family favourite movies from HD to 4K. As these would be rewatched regularly.

Advertisement