Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rip Screen 1 the savoy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

There's nowhere else in CC unfortunately.

You’ll most likely have the place to yourself. Think of it as a home cinema experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

OU812 wrote: »
    You’ll most likely have the place to yourself. Think of it as a home cinema experience.

I truly will be the "First Man".

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Is it just me or is this thread becoming nearly impossible to find when "Rip Screen 1" is searched with Google?
    It used to come up staright away by just typing in "savoy screen 1". Can still find it easily enough on Bing, so maybe this is due to non activity but it's only a week ago since the last post??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,544 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

alzer100 wrote: »
    Is it just me or is this thread becoming nearly impossible to find when "Rip Screen 1" is searched with Google?
    It used to come up staright away by just typing in "savoy screen 1". Can still find it easily enough on Bing, so maybe this is due to non activity but it's only a week ago since the last post??

Why not just save the page as a bookmark?

Click on the star in chrome.
    Also if you sign in with your google account to chrome you can access all bookmarks on any device. Very handy.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why not just save the page as a bookmark?

Click on the star in chrome.
    Also if you sign in with your google account to chrome you can access all bookmarks on any device. Very handy.

I do have easy access but my point being is that the thread has become almost invisible to anyone who may have visited the Savoy recently and maybe looking for any information with regards to some of the public's reaction on the web.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I do have easy access but my point being is that the thread has become almost invisible to anyone who may have visited the Savoy recently and maybe looking for any information with regards to some of the public's reaction on the web.

If you type the Savoy Cinema in Google reviews come on the right and many of them are not very happy with the state of the Savoy here are a few.

This cinema needs an owner with vision and faith in the wonderful asset it is. This is the only remaining cinema in Dublin that has real potential to offer a true cinematic experience. People would flock to it if the owner restored it properly. Instead, the amazing screen that was on the ground floor has been chopped into three. Some of the smaller screens are tiny. They need proper soundproofing from other screens. More regular floor cleaning is needed. The outside especially needs renovation. Overall it looks like it's been run into the ground and without a new owner, tragically it may not survive.

Lovely cinema with some of the best prices I've seen (especially for students!). I really miss the big screen that they used to have though! The new screening rooms have awkward seating and are too small for new releases. I, unfortunately, got an awkward seat which kind of ruined the experience.

Nice but would have been even nicer if they'd kept screen 1...

Worst cinema in the entire WORLD!

What they’ve done to the Savoy is an abomination. Recently visited for the first time since they turned the glorious old Screen 1 into a bunch of smaller ones. The seating layout was odd, with half the seats at a weird angle to the screen (one of the smallest I can remember seeing in a cinema), and all of them uncomfortably close to it. The picture was washed out with something (fire exit sign?) casting a coloured haze over part of the screen for the whole film. They didn't dim the lights for the adverts or trailers, and it was boiling hot throughout, so we had to peel ourselves off their new leatherette seats at the end.

On the plus side, tickets were €10 each on a Saturday afternoon, which is reasonably cheap for a cinema ticket these days.

If the film you want to see is on up the road at Cineworld on Parnell Street, you might want to go there instead. It's equally soulless but less depressing.

Savoy used to be decent but now they have split the theatres an dumped in more screen. Which is fine but the seating arrangements are just terrible, horrible views of the screens. One or two of them even have the emergency exit sign right beside the screen, which shines a green light on to half of the screen... Yeah it's not to bad for 10 quid Wednesday deal but still quite a let down

I went to see avengers infinity war,and while I was watching it the screen seemed off centre during the ads and trailers,but when the movie started it was the same,this was very annoying considering id paid to watch the movie in a cinema,I sad to one of the staff that the projector could be off centre and he told me that the projector was fine and it was actually the wall that was it was being shown on was built in a curve,and everybody says it to them after movies,I was absolutely amazed at this,completely unacceptable,I'll never go back to the savoy cinema again after this!

New screens are horribly designed and unpleasant to be in.

Our first experience wasn't that great. During the movie we could hear the sound of another movie that was played in the next room.

This time next year the last Star Wars Skywalker saga installment will be released, no matter what your views on the movies are it will be sad that Screen 1 (in it's original form) will not be in existence as it was pretty much a cultural thing to see those type of movies there.

Thanks to CinemaGuy45 for putting me straight, I never thought of reading those reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I have avoided this thread since my last post in it shortly after it was confirmed Screen One was to be dismantled.

One of mates worked on it and sent me some footage of it gutted out (can upload it if anyone's interested) and it killed me seeing it.

Anyway, today with the new Tarantino film out I thought 'sure time moves on I might as well give it a shot and see it there and see what they've done with the place'.

Got my ticket, some munchies, and walked in the new Screen 1.................... and then walked straight back out again.

How in the name of all that is good and holy was this allowed to happen? I knew it was never going to be Savoy One of old, but sweet Jesus it's a crime what they've done.

To think of all the great films I've seen in there, premieres and film festival Q&As, it's just heartbreaking. Not since they tore down the Adelphi have I felt as gutted.

Anyway, I guess it'll be the Lighthouse One for 'Once Upon A Time' or maybe the Stella in Rathmines, get one of those Armchair seats.

It is quite shocking to see what has been done there and I know exactly how it feels like to walk into what is the new Screen 1.
    For me, I had the same feeling that I would get lets say if a good friend or somebody really close had died and I would go to their house to see them... The body somehow does not really resemble the person who I had known when they were alive.
    I felt an eerie sense of loss and I, like Decuc500 left immediately as I felt I would be insulting what was regarded as "the old lady" if I had stayed.

I don't know what numbers are like now at the Savoy - if they have actually improved, as there is not much information out there about the new screens but most that I have seen or heard are quite negative.

Maybe Screen 1 has a new audience now. Are they still holding premieres there?

sorry referencing my last reply I meant Outlaw Pete

• Advertisement

I’d be interested in seeing that footage outlaw Pete

I’d be interested in seeing that footage outlaw Pete

Here ya go, I maybe made it sound like it was better footage than it actually is as it's only really a brief shot from the back.....

https://twitter.com/CineIreland/status/1162122080718135302

Hard to believe they will make money from the current set-up but perhaps they will, shame they couldn't have made more money from it another way, was a great space in a great location.

savoy22.jpg

Would have preferred to see it sold and become a theatre or a small venue than what it's ended up as which is just really now no different than any of the other multiplex cinemas around.

I might still go in the odd time, but just wouldn't go out of my to see a film there like I used to.

As far as I am aware they may have preserved the original screen and velvet curtains because of the way they partitioned the original auditorium.
    They needed three screens, one main and two small ones either side of the main screen. I think they would have had to use the widest part of the original auditorium to achieve this. As you can see from the picture the area where the original screen is located is not the widest part of the original auditorium.
    I think they may of come back from the original screen and erected a partition wall which would accommodate the three screens. This would probably explain why the new Screen 1 has only eight rows of seating and taking into account the new corridor. I think the area where the original screen was located may now be an emergency exit highway as it would align with the original emergency exit doors
    If you think about it the new Screen 1 will only seat 120, Screens 9 and 10 will only seat 84 respectively and Screens 11 and 12 will only seat 23 respectively. This is a reduction in overall seating capacity of approximately 50 percent.
    So not only did they partition the original auditorium to achieve their goal, they may have also made some of it obsolete.
    This was indicated to me by a member of staff but if anyone knows anyone who may have worked on the construction they maybe able to confirm or deny this.

That's horrible.

Are there any photos of the new screen one floating around?

I remember going in there on many occasions, with family, with friends, on dates & solo. Sad that there'll never bee the same experience for the current generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,562 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Screens 11 and 12 will only seat 23 respectively.

wtf! why would anybody leave their comfy home set up for that?

That's horrible.

I remember going in there on many occasions, with family, with friends, on dates & solo. Sad that there'll never bee the same experience for the current generation.

https://img.rasset.ie/0010e773-642.jpg

The URL should bring you to a picture showing the 30th anniversary of U2s Rattle and Hum. The image shows the auditorium viewed from the screen.

Couldn't see myself ever visiting that cinema again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Skerries wrote: »
    wtf! why would anybody leave their comfy home set up for that?

I've been to the screen in stillorgan with 24 seats iirc. Sometimes it's nice to be in a small screen . Liffey valley has a few small screens like that too.

Yeah, some small screens can be good for sure, I like Screen 3 in the Lighthouse, just seen Dead Poet's Society there yesterday, but the way Savoy is laid out seems as if should your seat be down near the front and off to sides, you'd get an awful creek in your neck. So they could even design a decent auditorium from that aspect either.

Makes a mockery of this from them just before they made the decision:

225156_60_news_hub_multi_630x0.JPG

We have a history in Ireland of not showing much regard for these things though as the Theatre Royal was also pulled down much to the dismay of the Irish public, which makes what has happened to the Savoy almost trivial in comparison.

From this....

tr-merge77.jpg

To this....

HawkinsStreet.jpg

Apparently the division of IMC which controls the Savoy and what used to be the Screen cinema is a subsidiary company called Dublin Cinema Group (DCG).
    DCG sold off the Screen cinema about two years ago and it has since been demolished. The company they sold the site to now want to build a 500 seat cinema (probably to fill the void that has now been left following the dismantling of Savoy Screen 1) as Dublin city centre is lacking a "premiere" style auditorium.
    DCG have apparently taken the other company to court as there is supposed to be a condition on the sale of the site stipulating that it would not be used as a cinema for something like 15 years.
    In my view, IMC have deprived patrons from what was Savoy Screen 1 and they do not want any other company to provide an alternative in the immediate city centre.
    I think the Irish film Board/ Institute (whatever is called) are desperate for an alternative to the old Savoy Screen 1.

• Advertisement

That's horrible.

Savoy_Cinema_CTS_Group_ME.jpg

That is the new screen one top left image only shows half the screen it is a scope screen.

The picture on the right pay attention to the back row the room is shaped like a bottle and you enter through the neck the back row only has two seats.:D

There are only eight rows the front row has the most seats and it is nearly on top of the screen.

Apparently the division of IMC which controls the Savoy and what used to be the Screen cinema is a subsidiary company called Dublin Cinema Group (DCG).
    DCG sold off the Screen cinema about two years ago and it has since been demolished. The company they sold the site to now want to build a 500 seat cinema (probably to fill the void that has now been left following the dismantling of Savoy Screen 1) as Dublin city centre is lacking a "premiere" style auditorium.
    DCG have apparently taken the other company to court as there is supposed to be a condition on the sale of the site stipulating that it would not be used as a cinema for something like 15 years.
    In my view, IMC have deprived patrons from what was Savoy Screen 1 and they do not want any other company to provide an alternative in the immediate city centre.
    I think the Irish film Board/ Institute (whatever is called) are desperate for an alternative to the old Savoy Screen 1.

Maybe something could be done with the old Carlton as a super sized premiere style cinema. I believe the insides are mostly intact, but would be in favour of it being completely gutted to create a massive screen/seating experience.

Still has a lovely facade (some graffiti) but being on the main thoroughfare it would be a good premiere location.

I would not be surprised if IMC do something like what happened the Savoy cinema in Cork city - it was turned into a shopping mall.
    Now you may say the Savoy is a listed building. However, I think the building can be used commercially for whatever reason as long as the foyer is left in tact.

The new auditoriums (sorry viewing rooms) at the Savoy are probably fresh and new at the moment but depending on their commercial return you have to ask yourself - given IMC's track record with the Savoy, will they continue to invest in their upkeep and maintenance?

I walked past the Savoy a few weeks ago, even from the outside it looks really run down and gritty or am I just imagining this?
    BTW the chandeliers and the foyer itself look really out of character with what the cinema has to offer. In other words, the auditoriums are in no way a reflection of the presentation of the foyer.

I would not be surprised if IMC do something like what happened the Savoy cinema in Cork city - it was turned into a shopping mall.
    Now you may say the Savoy is a listed building. However, I think the building can be used commercially for whatever reason as long as the foyer is left in tact.

The new auditoriums (sorry viewing rooms) at the Savoy are probably fresh and new at the moment but depending on their commercial return you have to ask yourself - given IMC's track record with the Savoy, will they continue to invest in their upkeep and maintenance?

I walked past the Savoy a few weeks ago, even from the outside it looks really run down and gritty or am I just imagining this?
    BTW the chandeliers and the foyer itself look really out of character with what the cinema has to offer. In other words, the auditoriums are in no way a reflection of the presentation of the foyer.

To be honest I have mixed feelings on this whole subject.
    People going to the cinema these days are pigs.
    Feet on seats.
    Playing with phones.
    Putting rubbish on the floor.
    Kicking seats.
    Talking and making noise.

Maybe these people have the crappy cinemas they deserve.

Going to a film use to be an event.
    Savoy One Adelphi One and the Ambassador Cinema.

I remember the Adelphi showing Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade in 70MM to a packed house and everybody behaved and enjoyed the show.
    Later that year Batman was on and the Adelphi and the Bat search light projected onto the massive drapes before the show started.

Huge scope screens proper screen masking toilets at the back without going out into a corridor.
    I always remember the Adelphi had proper stepped seating in the back half of the room.
    The Adelphi One was the best screen in the country in my opinion Savoy One was a close second.

There are a few big screens in the multiplexes but they are always badly run.
    Odeon Nass for example has a really big scope screen and it has 348 seats and good sound sadly the two times I have been Rogue One and Solo the projection was way too dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,684 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

cr@ppy location , you cant park there and its a seedy part of town once the sun goes down.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

savoy22.jpg

0010e773-642.jpg

Wow look at the difference.:eek:

I suppose the best viewing points are probably the 2 backrow seats as it is an over sized screen for the size of viewing room (ehm...sorry I meant auditorium)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It was a very sad day the day screens two and screen one in the Savoy were destroyed. I will say one thing do the black seats are nice much nicer than the horrible red seats they have in there other screens and cinema's. I have only been in the new screen once do think it was screen 10 and in no hurry back. I think IMC's best cinema screen now is Screen one in Mullingar but it has the horrible red seats such a pity.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I think Dublin's O Connel street is in such a bad way at the moment that ordinary Irish people have stopped venturing into it. I think the street is full of tourists and what Irish are present are mostly undesirables. I personally feel alienated there now.
    IMC may have adjusted the Savoy to adapt to a new demographic and that's fine if it works for them but for people like me there is really no alternative to what the Adelphi and Savoy had to offer except maybe if you are prepared to travel outside the county but you should not have to do that.
    The capital city should have a premier cinema style auditorium, the current offerings although possessing different qualities are not theatrical venues.
    The closest IMC have to the old Savoy Screen 1 is probably Carlow Screen 1.
    Again, iMC's subsidiary (DCG) which operates the Savoy are currently making a loss, whether the new setup at the Savoy will change this is questionable.
    I genuinely fear for the Savoy operating as a cinema especially under IMC's ownership, as I have already stated a building like the Savoy can operate commercially as another type entity as long as certain aspects of the building are preserved.
    At this point there really is a need for an alternative to what was the old Screen 1 in Dublin's city centre.

• Advertisement

I know that there has not been much activity on this forum for some time but with cinemas due to reopen in Ireland in August and if it is true that a 2 meter distance will have to be adhered to in seating allocation, then in hindsight it would have been better for IMC to have left Screen 1 alone as the bigger the auditorium the more patrons they could have allowed in and still adhere to distancing rules.
    I think complexes with small auditoriums may find it difficult to make up for their lost revenue no matter what the level of demand come August.

There are some good shots of Screen One in it's current form I wonder will the Savoy reopen after this whole virus thing?

screenshot-2020-05-24-at-00-27-29.png

screenshot-2020-05-24-at-00-27-50.png

screenshot-2020-05-24-at-00-28-31.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Looks nice and modern.
    I think cinema is a dead medium in general, I experienced better 3D simulating a screen in a 200€ VR headset than ever in real life. Also greater dynamic range. Just saying.
    In future I imagine cinema being a subscription service to say Oculus Store ran by Amazon (who is rumored to buy up AMC in US).
    After using VR for a while you realize that there's an annoying rectangle. I think the 'true' adaptation of film into VR is 180 degree stereoscopic video. In 3D software like Blender you can export easily into that format by clicking a button. It's much more immersive this way. I watched Ghost in the Shell: Virtual Reality Diver and it's not bad.
    I imagine say Avatar being rendered separately for VR and released in Oculus / Steam Store - anything that is pure CG.
    After you watch a lot of VR you realize how deprived looking at a 2D rectangle is. I'd say it will die with the boomers like shopping malls and owning cars. Just saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ronano

Looks nice and modern.
    I think cinema is a dead medium in general, I experienced better 3D simulating a screen in a 200€ VR headset than ever in real life. Also greater dynamic range. Just saying.
    In future I imagine cinema being a subscription service to say Oculus Store ran by Amazon (who is rumored to buy up AMC in US).
    After using VR for a while you realize that there's an annoying rectangle. I think the 'true' adaptation of film into VR is 180 degree stereoscopic video. In 3D software like Blender you can export easily into that format by clicking a button. It's much more immersive this way. I watched Ghost in the Shell: Virtual Reality Diver and it's not bad.
    I imagine say Avatar being rendered separately for VR and released in Oculus / Steam Store - anything that is pure CG.
    After you watch a lot of VR you realize how deprived looking at a 2D rectangle is. I'd say it will die with the boomers like shopping malls and owning cars. Just saying.

What headset are you using?

Do you find any eye tiredness issues or any issues?

I'm really tempted to get the above setup

They are using a VERY wide angle lens in those shots
    Those photos are from IMC themselves! Believe it or not, Screen 1 in those shots looks rather expansive but it's a bit of an illusion, it's not like that when you see it for yourself IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Looks nice and modern.

Personally, I don't think cinema will die any time soon. Why? Because fundamentally it's popularity isn't about technology. It's not about the best sound. It's not about the clearest image.

The day that I can sit at home and have the same social "experience" as a cinema, is the day it dies.

The fact that you actually have to make the effort of leaving your own house. You're not the one with the remote control. The anticipation as the lights go down in a HUGE darkened room as you sit surrounded by complete strangers having a communal experience of laughing or screaming.

Horses for courses and some people prefer watching films by themselves, and some people need that top quality sound/image, but after a few months of lockdown I don't think Netflix has moved the majority people away from cinemas, I'm pretty convinced it's actually had the opposite effect. I can't wait to get back in the cinema.

• Advertisement

I think there is going to be a big demand for cinema in August as the social event of it is the exact opposite of what everyone has been experiencing for the past few months.
    Cinema operators may only be permitted to fill their auditoriums to an average of 50 percent capacity though.
    Although it maybe viewed that most cinema auditoriums are normally just half full anyway, but if there is a demand, the larger the auditorium, the more patrons they could probably admit and still adhere to distancing rules. I don't know if there is a cap on the amount of people permitted to attend any social gathering in one room so I could be open for correction on this.

If you take the Savoy Screen 1 in it's previous incarnation, it had a capacity of approximately 700 patrons. If that capacity were to be halved because of "these times" it could still probably cater for approximately 300 patrons at high demand.
    The way it exists now between Screens 1, 9,10,11 & 12 it would probably be just capable of catering to approximately 140-150 patrons at high demand and at 50 percent capacity as at any given time sometimes at least three of those screens are showing the same movie. It could amount up to a lot of potential revenue that is lost. I don't know.

Again, I think there is going to be a big demand for cinema, even just in the short term.

They are using a VERY wide angle lens in those shots
    Those photos are from IMC themselves! Believe it or not, Screen 1 in those shots looks rather expansive but it's a bit of an illusion, it's not like that when you see it for yourself IMHO.

Agreed however it is the best picture of the room online.
    This image from above gives a better idea of how it really feels.

0010e773-642.jpg

There is screen 9 that you get into from the old left side door of screen 1.
    Screen 10 is a mirror image of screen 9.

screenshot-2020-05-24-at-21-03-47.png

I get the impression that these five screens in the old screen one space are still better than anything upstairs in the Savoy.

Agreed however it is the best picture of the room online.
    This image from above gives a better idea of how it really feels.

0010e773-642.jpg

There is screen 9 that you get into from the old left side door of screen 1.
    Screen 10 is a mirror image of screen 9.

screenshot-2020-05-24-at-21-03-47.png

I get the impression that these five screens in the old screen one space are still better than anything upstairs in the Savoy.

Does that screen pictured in Screen 9 expand downwards, you know like to make the most of a film with a smaller aspect ratio? As it is pictured it is a scope screen (2.35:1), so if a film is shown at a smaller aspect ratio (1.85:1) are you essentially looking at black bars at each side of the screen?
    Just curious as I have not been since it opened.

Does that screen pictured in Screen 9 expand downwards, you know like to make the most of a film with a smaller aspect ratio? As it is pictured it is a scope screen (2.35:1), so if a film is shown at a smaller aspect ratio (1.85:1) are you essentially looking at black bars at each side of the screen?
    Just curious as I have not been since it opened.

All 5 new screens are scope there is NO MASKING so for a 1.85 film and the trailers there are vertical black bars on either side of the screen.

You are seeing the FULL screen in that picture.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    The day that I can sit at home and have the same social "experience" as a cinema, is the day it dies.
    There are apps that simulate a cinema experience where you can sit with other people and talk. Sometimes you can find John Carmack in them.

• Advertisement

I was really curious as I use to love the Savoy I have seen a film in screen 9 screen 11 and screen one.

I have to admit I enjoyed the film in screen 11 with only 28 seats and only about 4 other people in the room who all wanted to see the film.

The seat was really comfy the picture was bright and vibrant and the projection was lined up perfectly with the screen totally filled but not overspilling onto the wall.
    The sound was really good also.

With the lights out you can really get into the film but when you look around the room you feel sad for what we have lost.

Those rooms with 28 seats will not work for social distancing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

I'll never forget The Battle of Pelennor fields on screen one

There are apps that simulate a cinema experience where you can sit with other people and talk. Sometimes you can find John Carmack in them.

I just prefer the real thing though. Ah maybe I'm just an old dinosaur!!

I just think younger people are kind of missing out on what makes cinema really special.
    When I was growing up I was so fortunate to have real theatrical cinemas like the Adelphi, Carlton , Ambassador and Savoy.
    When Screen 1 at the Savoy had the audiences in the 80s and 90s, the Ward-Anderson family kept it fairly well maintained (Screen 1 anyway).
    Things went downhill when the families went their separate ways and the Wards took over the Savoy.

I just prefer the real thing though. Ah maybe I'm just an old dinosaur!!

I just think younger people are kind of missing out on what makes cinema really special.
    When I was growing up I was so fortunate to have real theatrical cinemas like the Adelphi, Carlton , Ambassador and Savoy.
    When Screen 1 at the Savoy had the audiences in the 80s and 90s, the Ward-Anderson family kept it fairly well maintained (Screen 1 anyway).
    Things went downhill when the families went their separate ways and the Wards took over the Savoy.

Are there any pictures of the interiors of the Adelphi and Carlton anywhere?

I can remember the Adelphi One with the stepped seating it was the best screen in the country I can not remember what the Carlton screen one looked like.

ronano wrote: »
    What headset are you using?
    Valve Index

ronano wrote: »
    Do you find any eye tiredness issues or any issues?
    It depends on the quality of the headset, tracking and software. The Valve Index is the most ergonomic system with good lenses, accurate positional tracking and the software is also very stable. Also it comes with Half Life Alyx.
    If you want to just try it out then the Oculus Go is OK. You used to be able to buy it in Argos.

Are there any pictures of the interiors of the Adelphi and Carlton anywhere?

I can remember the Adelphi One with the stepped seating it was the best screen in the country I can not remember what the Carlton screen one looked like.

There was a YouTube video showing Adelphi Screen 1, it was shot around the time of its closure but I cannot find it anymore. It showed an empty auditorium in which they closed the curtains for the last time before demolition.

I think the Carlton's Screen 1 was similar to the Adelphi Screen 1 but smaller. I'm open to correction on this.

I don't think there are any interior photos on the internet of either cinema.

There was a YouTube video showing Adelphi Screen 1, it was shot around the time of its closure but I cannot find it anymore. It showed an empty auditorium in which they closed the curtains for the last time before demolition.

I think the Carlton's Screen 1 was similar to the Adelphi Screen 1 but smaller. I'm open to correction on this.

I don't think there are any interior photos on the internet of either cinema.

A pity this was before the days of mobile phones for the masses.

I totally agree with you films were not shown they got a presentation it was a show.

Star Trek V would have been the last film I seen on the Adelphi One.:(

I seen the next one in a multiplex.

I was only small but I remember the big queue outside for Star Trek The Motion Picture back in the very late 70s.

A pity this was before the days of mobile phones for the masses.

I totally agree with you films were not shown they got a presentation it was a show.

Star Trek V would have been the last film I seen on the Adelphi One.:(

I seen the next one in a multiplex.

One of my best memories of the Adelphi was going to see Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom in the summer of 1984 with a gang of school friends. High quality sound was starting to come into the main auditoriums at that time as it was shown in 70mm with Dolby Stereo. We were on summer holidays and we were all starting secondary school that September. Then heading to McDonald's afterwards. It was such a treat and a big thing for a kid to go to McDonald's back then. Such innocent times

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,741 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Honestly, I find any suggestion VR has any capacity to supersede traditional cinema or film very unconvincing. And I say that as someone with two good VR headsets.

It's an argument that disregards film as a social experience. Many (most) people go to the cinema as friends, couples or families, or watch a film in the living room as couples, friends or families. That is not possible to replicate in VR, which by its very nature is a solitary experience (online spaces aside, but it's nowhere near the same thing).

Then there's the extremely limited uptake of VR to date. Half-Life Alyx is a masterpiece and the long-awaited next game in one of gaming's biggest critically and commercially successful series... and it's barely made a splash given how limited the VR market is. Sure, VR is *more* popular than it once was, but it remains an incredibly niche proposition.

Cinema and VR has yet to move past a few curious experiments. I've watched impressive VR movies, but they're mostly shorts designed for the medium. They're pretty few in number, TBH. Given the vast, vast majority of cinema history is designed for a flat screen and the number of worthwhile 3D movies in low single digits (honestly, I'd put the number at somewhere around one or two) then there's little benefit to VR.

And then there's simply the practicalities of it. VR remains a cumbersome prospect, with restrictive barriers for entry and a somewhat messy setup for most of the higher tier headsets. Sitting with a VR headset on for 90-120 minutes to watch a film, very likely tethered to a computer, is going to be substantially less comfortable than simply sitting watching a television.

I like VR (think HL: Alyx is probably the best gaming experience of the year) and I love cinema, and I'm sure there will be some welcome hybrids of the two. But I also have little interest in my VR headsets being used as virtual cinemas unless there's a radical shift in the density and quality of VR-centric cinema, and I will continue to eagerly await returning to the wonderful communal space of a good cinema screen. To me, cinema and VR remain distinctly separate entities, and the latter has a very long way to go to pose any sort of significant threat to the former, even as cinemas face their most significant disruption in well over a half century (EVER, arguably).

I'd say cinema will become something only hipsters go to

• Advertisement
Advertisement