Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Plays: Pokemon Emerald Signup

Options
  • 11-10-2017 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

This is called a succession game, where all players will be sharing save files for Pokemon Emerald.

How it works is, everyone will start the game and play up to earning their first gym badge. After this, you will save the game and upload your save file and download the next players. You will then play with their save file until you earn the second gym badge, and so on so forth.

Not sure what rule to have in place so feel free to suggest any below.

Rules
    -All pokemon must be nicknamed
    -You must beat your gym within two weeks

I think if we have two week maximum turnarounds everyone should have time to beat their gym and upload the file.

Files can be uploaded to google drive, one drive, Dropbox or even just emailed.

I recommend emulating the game ROM using a GBA Emulator on Windows, OSX (Mac), Linux, Android and most versions of iOS (iPhone). I don't think I can aid people in finding Emulators or ROMS but google can.

I'll do up a document to let players know who they will be passing on their file to.

So, comment below to sign up, November 1st Start Date

tl;dr We're gonna trade save files for pokemon emerald. Starting Nov 1st, sign up here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Sweet jesus id love to and am posting to keep up with the thread, but i dont think i can dedicate the time to it for the next month or so.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Starting November 1st and you'll have 2 weeks to do each gym, will probably only have to dedicate 2-3hrs or so a week?

Yeah sure go on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

is the game free? havent played since blue many years ago now, and is it similar to blue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

What the good christ is this??

Aye sure why not if it doesn't take a ball of time and can be done while I'm making important long phonecalls.

• Advertisement

Not free, there are ways though, I can't direct anyone to them however.

I'll be playing on my phone using an emulator.

The basic gameplay is very similar to blue (still is, 21 years later)

Jayop wrote: »
    What the good christ is this??

Aye sure why not if it doesn't take a ball of time and can be done while I'm making important long phonecalls.

I reckon it'll only take 2-3 hours a week to reach the next gym. There's 8 in total, and the champion so it'll run for several weeks.

Can be played off laptop or phone, games are very simple

I have no clue but stick me down.

Just to stress, you will have to find your own way to get the game ROM

Can't be too hard.

• Advertisement

sher go on

So far
    1. Digi
    2. Pter
    3. Jayop
    4. Yoss

What's an emulator or a ROM.
    And can the game be played passively or does it need 100% of ur attention all time while playing.

What's an emulator or a ROM. And can the game be played passively or does it need 100% of ur attention all time while playing.

An emulator is a program that simulates a console. In this case a game boy.

A rom is a version of a game you play on that emulator.

And you can pick up play put down pick up again at your lesiure afaik

What's an emulator or a ROM.
    And can the game be played passively or does it need 100% of ur attention all time while playing.

Passively, its turn based strategy, I normally play while watching TV

Ya know, I just looked into it and it's not my bag at all. Sorry.

Cool cheers lads I might be interested so I'll give a better look tomorrow sound

This is genius. Haven't played pokemon since blue/red. Sure I'll give it a bash. There will be some interesting nicknames.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

On the one hand I'd love to. On the other... I know for the first few gyms I rattle through them but then I get bogged down in grinding up my team and sub team and 2nd team and reserves etc. etc. - and that's when I have control over my team from day one. Taking over someone elses shambles will kill me :D

Couple of questions :
    If we're not all using the same ROM, will that cause issues importing saves? But since we can't talk about ROMs, we can't sync up our efforts?

How do we manage this - is there a forum thread for the game while it's running, is it all PMs, etc etc?

Is it bad form to release other peoples' treasured Pokémon on receiving their save, then taunt them about it online?

Shouldn't this also be a Nuzlocke run (last Save standing) or is that too limiting since people could end up not making it to the 2nd week?

But yeah - sign me up.

• Advertisement

Discord?

Banjo wrote: »
    On the one hand I'd love to. On the other... I know for the first few gyms I rattle through them but then I get bogged down in grinding up my team and sub team and 2nd team and reserves etc. etc. - and that's when I have control over my team from day one. Taking over someone elses shambles will kill me :D

Couple of questions :
    If we're not all using the same ROM, will that cause issues importing saves? But since we can't talk about ROMs, we can't sync up our efforts?

Should be okay if we all use (E) Region ROMs
    How do we manage this - is there a forum thread for the game while it's running, is it all PMs, etc etc?

There will be a thread, hopefully with some chat too

Is it bad form to release other peoples' treasured Pokémon on receiving their save, then taunt them about it online?

The taunting bit, definitely

Shouldn't this also be a Nuzlocke run (last Save standing) or is that too limiting since people could end up not making it to the 2nd week?

Too limiting, I think we'd end up with relatively similar teams too, I know it'll be very samey for the first 4 but after that it should open up. Nuzlocke is a bit hardcore whereas this would be open to noobs.

But yeah - sign me up.[/quote]

Great to have you Banjo

The capacity to screw over people is incredibly high in this. Surely we need some ground rules.

Isn't finding yourself facing the 8th Gym with 14 days left on the clock and nothing but a level 5 Sentret called "FUPrtyJngl" the entire point of this challenge?

The capacity to screw over people is incredibly high in this. Surely we need some ground rules.

You need to beat a gym to pass the save on, which I was hoping would fix it to some amount. Sure you can have a team of Sentrets, but can you beat a gym with them?

And if people are taking the piss they can simply be cut.

You need to beat a gym to pass the save on, which I was hoping would fix it to some amount. Sure you can have a team of Sentrets, but can you beat a gym with them?

And if people are taking the piss they can simply be cut.

Ah I get you. So you pass it on immediately after the gym. So that team is still intact. I was thinking someone could release all their pokemon right after the gym.

Ah I get you. So you pass it on immediately after the gym. So that team is still intact. I was thinking someone could release all their pokemon right after the gym.

I would consider that kick-worthy alright

If you get proper dicked you can just use the save you had uploaded anyways, have two people on the same save

Hopefully the hippy-dippy ideal of do unto others so you don't end up with a team of Magikarp will prevail.
    Will we be picking our Starter or assigned into Grass / Fire / Water groups so we don't all go with Mudkip?

Will we know who's getting our save?

Banjo wrote: »
    Hopefully the hippy-dippy ideal of do unto others so you don't end up with a team of Magikarp will prevail.
    Will we be picking our Starter or assigned into Grass / Fire / Water groups so we don't all go with Mudkip?

Will we know who's getting our save?

But as long as the team can beat the gym, this shouldn't happen right? I don't think we need any other rules

• Advertisement

But as long as the team can beat the gym, this shouldn't happen right? I don't think we need any other rules

thats what i'm thinking. try to beat the gym with the worst possible team to screw over the next person!! :P

but that'll probably take some of the enjoyment away so i think people will try to assemble a good team.

Advertisement