Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus terms and conditions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Sounds like a man on the ropes with all the bruha. He has an interesting "history" for anyone that can be bothered searching the interweb.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

basill wrote: »
    Sounds like a man on the ropes with all the bruha. He has an interesting "history" for anyone that can be bothered searching the interweb.
    It almost feels like the EI board seek out these people.
    If they (EI) refuse to stick to the Labour court agreement, there will be hell to pay, and I fear they will refuse, based on every other negotiation in the history of EI...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I think AL will also refuse to accept the Labour court recommendation. Was talking to a member of cabin crew yesterday, she said most staff would take the offer. I don't think the LC tied the recommendation to productivity?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Surely the company must follow LRC recommendations?
    Wasn't the last settled by both parties agreeing to allow LRC to act as judge?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Tenger wrote: »

LRC is not binding, it should be Leo V hinted at making it binding but I can't see it happening.

Not a fan of him either and your right about his past.

• Advertisement

Tenger wrote: »

No unfortunatly it's not binding, and everything Rutter has said points to EI not complying with the agreement. As far as staff are concerned it's a done deal. Only Aer Lingus can F**k things up now by not actioning it (The deal is supposed to come into effect in January).
    My prediction is, come January Aer Lingus won't issue the pay rise and hello strike, goodbye stellar reputation during Ryanair's worst crisis in 30 years

Am I correct in thinking that it only applies to current employees? Anyone retired does not automatically get an increase in pension ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

joeysoap wrote: »
    Am I correct in thinking that it only applies to current employees? Anyone retired does not automatically get an increase in pension ?
    I can't see how a retired person should be getting anything from Aer Lingus under this LRC recommendation.
    They retired under certain terms which they agreed to at that time.

less reason for AL to agree the payment then.

joeysoap wrote: »
    less reason for AL to agree the payment then.

I don't follow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭PreCocious

Looks like use of those shiny new planes is being used as a threat in their dealings with the DAA as well..

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/aer-lingus-and-dublin-airport-relations-have-soured-immensely-1.3243989

Locker10a wrote: »
    I don't follow

The company only have to apply the increase to working staff, in previous years pensioners would also have to get an increase. But not now.

I see I worded that wrong , should have said ' less reason not to agree the payment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

I can't see how a retired person should be getting anything from Aer Lingus under this LRC recommendation.
    They retired under certain terms which they agreed to at that time.

I think its a bit more complicated than that. Seem to remember that they were entitled to inflationary increases in their pension to avoid the obvious dilution of the income but the current (employed) members of the scheme voted to freeze their pensions. As a retired member they don't get a vote. Nasty situation all round.

basill wrote: »
    I think its a bit more complicated than that. Seem to remember that they were entitled to inflationary increases in their pension to avoid the obvious dilution of the income but the current (employed) members of the scheme voted to freeze their pensions. As a retired member they don't get a vote. Nasty situation all round.

Same happened in An Post, result is that current An Post staff got 2.5 last year and 3.6 this year, but pensioners got nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

If you watch the absolutely brilliant Yes Prime Minister, they make a big deal out of the fact that the senior civil servants have index linked pensions.

I take the EI pensioners have a Defined Benefit pension - is it adaquete for someone to live on e.g. a high percentage of the final retirement salary?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Dardania wrote: »
    If you watch the absolutely brilliant Yes Prime Minister, they make a big deal out of the fact that the senior civil servants have index linked pensions.

I take the EI pensioners have a Defined Benefit pension - is it adaquete for someone to live on e.g. a high percentage of the final retirement salary?

Current pensioners are mostly a on a DB pension, not index linked or linked to current salary scales, but linked to final retiring salary.

Anyone who has retired in the last 3 years has been on a Defined Contribution scheme as the general staff scheme was wound up as it had become insolvent. There was much talk about this at the time in the papers. All current and future general staff to retire will be on DC schemes so no index linking.

The only group left in the company with a DB scheme are the pilots who had a separate scheme to the general staff with much higher employee and employer contributions made to keep it solvent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Sounds much like how the rest of the private world is going (DC)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

it wasn't yet insolvent. It's potential future debt was Eu 700m , not actual debt.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1103/917339-aer-lingus/

Unions accepted the pay deal. IMPACT by almost 96% verses SIPTU at almost 54%.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1103/917339-aer-lingus/

Unions accepted the pay deal. IMPACT by almost 96% verses SIPTU at almost 54%.
    Excellent news let’s hope EI hold up their end of the deal now

• Advertisement

Pilots have also accepted 11% rise with 2.9% of the rise for increased flexibility and productivity which includes flying A321LR aircraft.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/aer-lingus-pilots-back-pay-11-pay-increase-1.3395269

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Meanwhile they don't have enough engineers and can't recruit any because the pay rates have fallen miles behind,greed is the only reason.the summer season will be Hillarious

• Registered Users Posts: 2 OCISLY

Bussywussy wrote: »
    Meanwhile they don't have enough engineers and can't recruit any because the pay rates have fallen miles behind,greed is the only reason.the summer season will be Hillarious

From what I heard on the ramp at DUB, EI have lost quite a few engineers over the past couple years. Most seem to have left for other airlines within DUB (including RYR) which pay a respectable salary and approval pay which isn’t an insult to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭trellheim

If they hire in temps will it be a strike ?

trellheim wrote: »
    If they hire in temps will it be a strike ?
    They can't hire in temps...it's against whatever agreement is there...they wouldn't pay for them anyway from what I've heard..a work to rule would cripple the place too from what the lads said...

is it LH or SH fleets does it break down like that ?

is it LH or SH fleets does it break down like that ?

Cabin crew are mixed fleet, pilots are either on the A320/1 or A330, or secondment to the 757(temp solution until the A321neos replace them)

Sorry, I meant engineering staff . can the same guy work on a 330 and a 320

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

If they have the licenses

You can have a pilot licensed to fly both A320 and A330 if you want if the IAA allow it.

• Advertisement

Yes they can,there is no restriction on engineers on how many types they can have neither is there on hours worked unlike crew.

Advertisement