Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus terms and conditions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Mebuntu wrote: »
    Threat to those shiny new A321's:

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/aer-lingus-warns-pay-claims-could-put-1bn-strategy-at-risk-36206180.html

This is what happens when you permit greedy unions to be involved with your company.

Greedy unions,good one....the pay claim for some sections isn't half of what it should be...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/aer-lingus-warns-pay-claims-could-put-1bn-strategy-at-risk-36206180.html

This is what happens when you permit greedy unions to be involved with your company.

And ryanair is a example of what happens when you dont

Bussywussy wrote: »
    Greedy unions,good one....the pay claim for some sections isn't half of what it should be...

Some would call that blackmail and using the media as the delivery method. Take it or else ! 2.7% per annum that’s miserly while the airline grows and profits are up triple that.

kona wrote: »
    And ryanair is a example of what happens when you dont

Ask management do they know what will happen when all the licensed engineers are leaving and not being suitably replaced.....similar to ryanair situation...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Utter rubbish!! The only thing in peril from any pay rises are the amount of juicy profits and dividends available to the greedy few at the very top of EI and IAG.
    Thoughts and prayers with poor IAG....lol

• Advertisement

Ask management do they know what will happen when all the licensed engineers are leaving and not being suitably replaced.....similar to ryanair situation...

I think it was clear this summer... problem will only get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Staff haven't had a pay rise for 6/7 years. Bit of pent up frustration there maybe. Also staff have not been getting increments - which means staff with say 10 years service are barely above newly recruited staff in pay terms. That's not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The pay claim is extortionate......

Aer Lingus Express will be the next step if it continues......don't underestimate IAG.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Aer Lingus Express will be the next step if it continues......don't underestimate IAG.

What pay claim are you talking about?

What pay claim are you talking about?

Cabin Crew, its what rhe A321 commenrs are related to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

joeysoap wrote: »
    Staff haven't had a pay rise for 6/7 years. Bit of pent up frustration there maybe. Also staff have not been getting increments - which means staff with say 10 years service are barely above newly recruited staff in pay terms. That's not good.

Not being aggressive in asking this, but what has inflation been like in the last 6/7 years? Increments are usually linked to that...
    Are the demands in line with inflation or exceeding it?

Good luck staffing that with professional employees...
    Extortionate haha your having a laugh....even if the pay claim was doubled the engineers still wouldn't be near the money proper companies pay

Good luck staffing that with professional employees...
    Extortionate haha your having a laugh....even if the pay claim was doubled the engineers still wouldn't be near the money proper companies pay

No luck needed, very easy to make it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Lapmo_Dancer

Interestingly, if you compare EI pay and conditions to that of its’ main competitors across the Atlantic - DL, UA, AA, AC - you will see that EI enjoys a significant cost advantage.

No luck needed, very easy to make it work.

Not with professionals

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

A pay claim of 2.75% per year for 3 years, after 10 years of no pay rises, no increments is not excessive, and is significantly below inflation, keep in mind most staff in EI are on new lower paid contracts, no one who's joined since 2009 has anything resembling legacy conditions. Staff will still be worse off over all than 10 years ago in real terms as this doesn't even match inflation.

Also keep in mind this is a labour court recommended pay rise, not a union demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Lapmo_Dancer

Who are EI’s main competitors across the Atlantic, where these new aircraft will operate? UA, AA, DL and AC. I wouldn’t classify Norwegian as a major player yet but they have potential.

The big 3 US airlines have all recently agreed contracts with their pilots offering 20% plus increases. I believe other working groups have enjoyed similar increases.

US carriers must operate with 3 pilots on all transatlantic sectors. I heard that EI are operating as far away as Miami and Chicago with only 2?

Is it true that EI give their crews only 1 night rest after a sector to the west coast?

Anecdotally, I was recently speaking to an ex colleague who moved back to the US from the midddle east. I was surprised to learn that senior wide-body Capts in the big 3 can potentially make up to $500k and senior wide-body FOs up to $300k per annum when over time and profit share is included.

It seems to me, as an outsider, that EI enjoys a significant cost advantage over its’ main competitors.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I watched a couple of YouTube vids yesterday of the Aer Lingus COO Mike Rutter announcing the Philly route and answering questions to media. (Travelextra Ireland is the channel)
    In one of these he refers to Ryanair and Norwegian as their main competition. To me this is stepping away from their hybrid/value carrier statements, and trying to fight head to head with LCCs.

Ive got mates in EI and can confirm 3 flight crew only on West Coast, and daily flights to SFO and LAX mean 24 hours stopovers.

Cabin Crew, its what the A321 commenrs are related to.
    My understanding of the current talks is that it is all sections. It was in the papers about 2-3 months ago. Stated then that EI staff took payfreeze in 2007, this was extended under Greenfield plan of 2010 along with new T&Cs implemented.

LRC recommended 8% over 3 years, unions wanted 19%. This was in Sindo yesterday.

Pay and conditions at EI really aren't as great as many folk here seem to think.  For one thing they have awful rostering, friends I know there can and have worked 6 days with 1 day off.  There seems to be no "plan" with rostering crew, they just fight fires so to speak, plugging gaps which inevitably create other gaps. 
    This pay deal as mentioned comes after a 10 year pay freeze and is recommended.  While I understand the need to remain competitive, I don't find this unreasonable. Very very few staff are now remaining on the golden contracts of decades past.  Staff joining EI now have conditions that are inline with the industry, Ireland is one of the most expensive countries in Europe, living in Dublin now is extremely expensive, housing and cost of living is extortionate. And so anyone employed here will naturally need pay that reflects costs

Locker10a wrote: »
    Pay and conditions at EI really aren't as great as many folk here seem to think.  For one thing they have awful rostering, friends I know there can and have worked 6 days with 1 day off.  There seems to be no "plan" with rostering crew, they just fight fires so to speak, plugging gaps which inevitably create other gaps. 
    This pay deal as mentioned comes after a 10 year pay freeze and is recommended.  While I understand the need to remain competitive, I don't find this unreasonable. Very very few staff are now remaining on the golden contracts of decades past.  Staff joining EI now have conditions that are inline with the industry, Ireland is one of the most expensive countries in Europe, living in Dublin now is extremely expensive, housing and cost of living is extortionate. And so anyone employed here will naturally need pay that reflects costs

Stop talking sense! Sure i heard my friends cousins boyfriends mother is a cleaner in ei and gets 80k a year and 4 weeks paid leave:pac:

• Advertisement

Locker10a wrote: »

Stop talking sense! Sure i heard my friends cousins boyfriends mother is a cleaner in ei and gets 80k a year and 4 weeks paid leave:pac:

Honestly Ive heard so much of that talk over the years!! Its laughable! 
    Only this week Aer Lingus ran a recruitment advert\article in the Irish Independent. Cabin crew pay is mentioned in the article,   
     "[font=Georgia, serif]Aer Lingus cabin crew can earn a potential €1,700 to €1,900 per month in take home pay, based on the average summer season, the airline says. "[/font]
    [font=Georgia, serif]Franky I was surprised by this, I think thats very low pay. [/font]
    [font=Georgia, serif]Link: [/font]http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/aer-lingus-is-hiring-cabin-crew-heres-how-to-apply-and-what-you-could-earn-36199881.html

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you aren't getting 4 weeks paid leave in a fulltime job, you need to contact NERA - considering its the legal minimum!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

L1011 wrote: »
    If you aren't getting 4 weeks paid leave in a fulltime job, you need to contact NERA - considering its the legal minimum!

Come on! It's obvious when he quotes 80K he's talking about a part timer! This is EI after all.

Interestingly, if you compare EI pay and conditions to that of its’ main competitors across the Atlantic - DL, UA, AA, AC - you will see that EI enjoys a significant cost advantage.

You can't just compare to those because its all crew you have to take into account FR, DY, Rouge, WestJet and future operations like JetBlue.
    Not with professionals

Rubbish.
    NH2013 wrote: »
    A pay claim of 2.75% per year for 3 years, after 10 years of no pay rises, no increments is not excessive, and is significantly below inflation, keep in mind most staff in EI are on new lower paid contracts, no one who's joined since 2009 has anything resembling legacy conditions. Staff will still be worse off over all than 10 years ago in real terms as this doesn't even match inflation.

Also keep in mind this is a labour court recommended pay rise, not a union demand.

In my book it's slightly to high however the % is much lower than originally demanded. EI have said themselves they can give an increase but it must protect the cost base.
    Who are EI’s main competitors across the Atlantic, where these new aircraft will operate? UA, AA, DL and AC. I wouldn’t classify Norwegian as a major player yet but they have potential.

The big 3 US airlines have all recently agreed contracts with their pilots offering 20% plus increases. I believe other working groups have enjoyed similar increases.

US carriers must operate with 3 pilots on all transatlantic sectors. I heard that EI are operating as far away as Miami and Chicago with only 2?

Is it true that EI give their crews only 1 night rest after a sector to the west coast?

Anecdotally, I was recently speaking to an ex colleague who moved back to the US from the midddle east. I was surprised to learn that senior wide-body Capts in the big 3 can potentially make up to $500k and senior wide-body FOs up to $300k per annum when over time and profit share is included.

It seems to me, as an outsider, that EI enjoys a significant cost advantage over its’ main competitors.

You cannot isolate LH as I stated it's an increase across the board. Yes EI have advantages over the legacy American carriers.

Also a major difference for US carriers is L/H is not their bread and butter where as for EI it is so.
    My understanding of the current talks is that it is all sections. It was in the papers about 2-3 months ago. Stated then that EI staff took payfreeze in 2007, this was extended under Greenfield plan of 2010 along with new T&Cs implemented.

LRC recommended 8% over 3 years, unions wanted 19%. This was in Sindo yesterday.

Fair enough, 8% is more reasonable and likely doable once productivity is offered.
    Pay and conditions at EI really aren't as great as many folk here seem to think. For one thing they have awful rostering, friends I know there can and have worked 6 days with 1 day off. There seems to be no "plan" with rostering crew, they just fight fires so to speak, plugging gaps which inevitably create other gaps.
    This pay deal as mentioned comes after a 10 year pay freeze and is recommended. While I understand the need to remain competitive, I don't find this unreasonable. Very very few staff are now remaining on the golden contracts of decades past. Staff joining EI now have conditions that are inline with the industry, Ireland is one of the most expensive countries in Europe, living in Dublin now is extremely expensive, housing and cost of living is extortionate. And so anyone employed here will naturally need pay that reflects costs

Bar a handful of BA crew, best in IAG and most low cost carriers which EI is more less.

__
    My main point was if EI go back into the mass striking days, IAG won't hesitate to tackle it and do something along the lines of EI Express or even move the aircraft to Level etc. The comment from COO was just a reminder to be realistic and more less saying people should be careful when weighing up options!

Yes a pay rise will be given but the original demands were way to high.

L1011 wrote: »

Apolgies i missed the 1. 14 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Locker 10A has it exactly right; pay freeze for nigh on ten years, no increments (unlike the greedy rail drivers who want huge money and have had all their increments since 2007), three different pay scales for engineers (which has prompted a whole lot of people to leave).....we have delivered a huge amount of productivity in all trades and grades so its time for EI to reach for the chequebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

The comment from COO was just a reminder to be realistic and more less saying people should be careful when weighing up options!.

It was also a reminder to the great unwashed that bonuses are at peril here and Christmas is coming.

Theres absolutely not one shred of productivity to give in the engineering side as stovepipe said...understaffed with work piled on top..it's mad how people don't quite understand how such an operation works and how quickly it can fall apart...

Theres absolutely not one shred of productivity to give in the engineering side as stovepipe said...understaffed with work piled on top..it's mad how people don't quite understand how such an operation works and how quickly it can fall apart...

To be honest I don't see where there can be productivity gains anywhere. After greenfield ?! Pretty much all staff at EI work max hours and with bare bones staff.
    EI operate their 757s with 4 cabin crew, I believe this is the lowest crew ratio for this aircraft in the industry. The US carries have a minimum of 5/6 crew as do the UK charters and Icelandair for the the same aircraft. It's common for full short haul flights to be boarded in Dublin airport by just one gate agent. I've experienced it several times. Frankly I don't know how they manage it single-handedly what with having to scan boarding passes, check ID, count luggage and tag bags, all with the pressure to get an on time departure. I can't speak for behind the scenes, only from what I see as a passengers but I can't see the tight ship that is modern day EI having any further productivity to gain from employees.

• Advertisement

You can't just compare to those because its all crew you have to take into account FR, DY, Rouge, WestJet and future operations like JetBlue.
    Not with professionals

Rubbish.
    NH2013 wrote: »

In my book it's slightly to high however the % is much lower than originally demanded.  EI have said themselves they can give an increase but it must protect the cost base.

You cannot isolate LH as I stated it's an increase across the board.  Yes EI have advantages over the legacy American carriers.  

Also a major difference for US carriers is L/H is not their bread and butter where as for EI it is so.

Fair enough, 8% is more reasonable and likely doable once productivity is offered.

Bar a handful of BA crew, best in IAG and most low cost carriers which EI is more less.

__
    My main point was if EI go back into the mass striking days, IAG won't hesitate to tackle it and do something along the lines of EI Express or even move the aircraft to Level etc.  The comment from COO was just a reminder to be realistic and more less saying people should be careful when weighing up options!

Yes a pay rise will be given but the original demands were way to high.
    The original demand were just the union bargaining, thats their job, you always ask for more than you know they'll give! 
    I certainly don't want to see EI on strike, there in a good position now and let hope they stay there.
    I dont think they'd set up EI express(if it came to that), probably just a Vueling base in Dublin with EI codeshares for long haul.
    BA legacy crew are still very much the majority at BA, and Iberia too.  And when adjusted for the cost of living in Ireland  the newer contracts at EI aren't far off the new fleets at BA and Iberia.

Advertisement