Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to find out if husband has fathered another child

Options
  • 06-10-2017 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi
    I'm new to this board!

I'm trying to help a friend who thinks her husband has fathered a child with another woman during their 20 year marriage.

Obviously she doesn't have the child's or mothers name but she has all the details on the father i.e. DOB and husband parents names etc.

Assuming the fathers name is listed on the birth certificate, does anyone know how she could go about seeing if he is listed as a father to any other child?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hi
    I'm new to this board!

I'm trying to help a friend who thinks her husband has fathered a child with another woman during their 20 year marriage.

Obviously she doesn't have the child's or mothers name but she has all the details on the father i.e. DOB and husband parents names etc.

Assuming the fathers name is listed on the birth certificate, does anyone know how she could go about seeing if he is listed as a father to any other child?

No legal means, One can get the birth cert for any one, but you need to know name/dob etc.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

She should ask her husband the following question:

"Have you had any children with any other women".

She will then have her answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Who asks that kind of question when they don't know the answer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

You might think this is fool proof but what if he lies. She is trying to find out for a fact. No need for smart reply espically from a mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Goldielocks1

We know he is going to lie which is why we are trying to get facts before taking next step.
    He has a lot to lose.

Anyway it looks like it can't be done.
    Thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

What makes her think he fathered a child?.

aujopimur wrote: »
    What makes her think he fathered a child?.

A number of different things but mainly how he is spending his money . Also a wife's intuition.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Isn't it great to have friends to post your queries on the internet, does she own a laptop that's connected to the internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

A number of different things but mainly how he is spending his money . Also a wife's intuition.

If it's his money then why does she want to know how he disperses it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Grassey wrote:

Come off it. They're married, it's household income.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

OP referred to it as his money. Not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Grassey wrote: »

They’re married.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 muminpajamas

Could she hire a private investigator?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

A number of different things but mainly how he is spending his money . Also a wife's intuition. /quote]

Intuition or paranoia?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Well, yea, but you'd be surprised how many couples have 'my money, your money arrangements'. I'm a drycleaner and I get quite a few men who'll come in and say, 'l'm just collecting my own suit. She'll collect her own one herself, fcuked if I'm paying for it'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Short answer - no. Without the child's or mother's name there is no way of finding a birth certificate. Obviously with the child's name and even a possible year of birth it would be possible, similarly if she had the mother's name (specifically maiden surname for initial search) and possible year. She could then trawl through the birth registers at the General Registers Office to see if she could find the name. But even if she had those basic details the mother may not have listed a father on the certificate.

If she feels he is sending money to someone on a regular basis she has a right to question him if it affects the family finances. Whether he's honest or not is another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

emeldc wrote: »
    Well, yea, but you'd be surprised how many couples have 'my money, your money arrangements'. I'm a drycleaner and I get quite a few men who'll come in and say, 'l'm just collecting my own suit. She'll collect her own one herself, fcuked if I'm paying for it'.

Quite obvious from the sounds of that lad he isn’t married then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

Isnt there some daytime TV program that works up stories similar to OPs scenario ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

Quite obvious from the sounds of that lad he isn’t married then
    He was! I know his wife well. I was mortified for her. It's also not the only case. There's loads of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Womem really are devious untrusting *****.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Moderator: This is not the forum for gender bashing.

Ghekko wrote: »
    Short answer - no. Without the child's or mother's name there is no way of finding a birth certificate. Obviously with the child's name and even a possible year of birth it would be possible, similarly if she had the mother's name (specifically maiden surname for initial search) and possible year. She could then trawl through the birth registers at the General Registers Office to see if she could find the name. But even if she had those basic details the mother may not have listed a father on the certificate.

If she feels he is sending money to someone on a regular basis she has a right to question him if it affects the family finances. Whether he's honest or not is another story.

Thanks for that. I kind of thought as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Dial Hard wrote:

That's actually an obsolete concept from the times when the man worked and the wife stayed at home. It's long gone.

I'm married almost a couple of decades and we've always had separate finances. When we need to buy common things then we discuss about paying it but otherwise we are both free to spend our money as we wish.

In the Ops case I don't think any good from pursuing it. If the husband has a child, he'll still have to pay out.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

You might think this is fool proof but what if he lies. She is trying to find out for a fact. No need for smart reply espically from a mod.

She then probes the lies. This is how investigation works.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

If he is providing financial support to the child, he must be in contact with the mother. Monitoring his phone and computer should reveal her name pretty quickly. After that she can be traced and the child found.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

surely the bank statements could be found . even if accounts are separate some kind of white lies could get him to hand them over. ]then scour them for consistent irregularities

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Are you a friend of Timeshia Brown?

article-2573125-1C09917400000578-540_634x478.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

If the husband died the invisible child might surface to lodge a claim for a share of the proceeds of the estate and that could turn nasty.

Although there is presumably no specific bequest for the hereto invisible child in the husband's will there is the lurking potential for a good old row under S.117 of the Succession Act 1965. Link http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1965/act/27/section/117/enacted/en/html#sec117

I would be looking for DNA then. It might not be a bad idea for OP's friend to collect a sample of current husband's DNA for future reference. She would need to get proper medical and or scientific advice on collection of the sample and having a DNA profile created. Yes, I can see the evidentiary arguments about admissibility but wouldn't you just love to have that information in the arsenal ;).

It is actually a serious question for OP's friend as this kind of unwanted and unpleasant surprise can and does happen and can leave a particularly bitter "legacy" in another sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

endacl wrote: »
    Are you a friend of Timeshia Brown?

article-2573125-1C09917400000578-540_634x478.jpg

That is a classic :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    If the husband died the invisible child might surface to lodge a claim for a share of the proceeds of the estate and that could turn nasty.

Although there is presumably no specific bequest for the hereto invisible child in the husband's will there is the lurking potential for a good old row under S.117 of the Succession Act 1965. Link http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1965/act/27/section/117/enacted/en/html#sec117

I would be looking for DNA then. It might not be a bad idea for OP's friend to collect a sample of current husband's DNA for future reference. She would need to get proper medical and or scientific advice on collection of the sample and having a DNA profile created. Yes, I can see the evidentiary arguments about admissibility but wouldn't you just love to have that information in the arsenal ;).

It is actually a serious question for OP's friend as this kind of unwanted and unpleasant surprise can and does happen and can leave a particularly bitter "legacy" in another sense.

Even if the husband is supporting the currently invisible child financially the child could still become a source of trouble later in the context of S.117.

Side bar point. Why does wife think that there is an "offside" child ? If there are financial suspicions based on money transactions it could be any number of things from gambling to blackmail as per S.17 Public Order Act 1994 - link http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1994/act/2/section/17/enacted/en/html#sec17.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement