Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Options

Comments

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Morgan Spurlock steps down from his production company after admitting that he had been accused of rape and had been guilty of sexual misconduct in the past

Huh. That sucks. Is admitting you've been accused essentially admitting to what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Huh. That sucks. Is admitting you've been accused essentially admitting to what happened?

Dunno, but 3 more women have accused Russell Simmons of rape.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Morgan Spurlock steps down from his production company after admitting that he had been accused of rape and had been guilty of sexual misconduct in the past

He's getting help. How do you help someone who behaves like a complete wanker, what exactly is the cure for that.

The rape happened when he was in college and he speaks of it in this statement, where he frames it as a misunderstanding in spite of the following:
    He said that the two went back to his room after a night of drinking. In his account, he said they “started having sex” although she had pushed him off while “fooling around” and saying she did not want to.

At one point the woman started to cry.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/14/arts/morgan-spurlock-sexual-misconduct.html

Candie wrote: »
    The rape happened when he was in college and he speaks of it in this statement, where he frames it as a misunderstanding in spite of the following:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/14/arts/morgan-spurlock-sexual-misconduct.html

Sounds like a rape to me.

Sorry, if somebody cries during a consensual encounter, you stop and ask them if they are alright. If it's sheer joy, and they are really enjoying it, you ask if they want you to continue.
    Otherwise, you go no farther.

If it's non consensual, which this sounds like, then it's rape. It's not sex.

Dustin Hoffman is accused of exposing himself to an underage girl. And more accusations of assault.

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/dustin-hoffman-2-1202641525/

End of his career? Starting to sound like it.

• Advertisement

Sorry, if somebody cries during a consensual encounter, you stop and ask them if they are alright. If it's sheer joy, and they are really enjoying it, you ask if they want you to continue.

If it's non consensual, which this sounds like, then it's rape. It's not sex.

Dustin Hoffman is accused of exposing himself to an underage girl. And more accusations of assault.

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/dustin-hoffman-2-1202641525/

End of his career? Starting to sound like it.

Absolutely sounds like rape, it's hard to believe that he ever felt it was some kind of crossed wires thing when she pushed him off and wanted him to stop. It took her crying for him to realise that perhaps she didn't want it?

This is one thing that worries me about some of those online 'seduction' communities, how they talk about seduction and persuasion. One man's persuasion is another persons intimidation.

The Hoffman thing is so disappointing, he always seemed one of the more decent types. I guess he is an actor, after all. Since he's over 70 now, I suspect the loss of his career won't hurt him too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

:confused: He claims to have done exactly that.
    At one point the woman started to cry.

“I didn’t know what to do,” Mr. Spurlock wrote. “We stopped having sex and I rolled beside her. I tried to comfort her. To make her feel better. I thought I was doing O.K., I believed she was feeling better. She believed she was raped. That’s why I’m part of the problem.”
    We don't have a lot to go on here, but you might actually read what he said before damning him based on what he said.

mikhail wrote: »

We don't have a lot to go on here, but you might actually read what he said before damning him based on what he said.

Here's what he said:
    he said they “started having sex” although she had pushed him off while “fooling around” and saying she did not want to.

She had pushed him off and told him she didn't want to, then they 'started having sex' and she started to cry. Only then did he stop.

It seems fairly unambiguous to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

cloudatlas wrote: »
    He's getting help. How do you help someone who behaves like a complete wanker, what exactly is the cure for that.
    Well we either accept the concept of rehabilitation and working on our problems or we don't....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

mikhail wrote: »

She said no and tried to push him off her. He started having sex with her anyway, only stopping when she started to cry. Yet according to him "she believed she was raped". Like it's ok that he stopped before he finished or something. Definitely can't be rape in that case right? She might "believe" it was but she's wrong. Great way to avoid owning up to your actions there

No, she WAS raped. What a fcking arsehole he is. He clearly only came out with this statement to get ahead of anyone coming forward and like most of the others really doesn't care about the women he has wronged at all. Only himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

She had pushed him off and told him she didn't want to, then they 'started having sex' and she started to cry. Only then did he stop.

It seems fairly unambiguous to me.
    At best he got mixed messages (which isn't a great defence), and at worst he raped her. There's detail missing about how they go from "no" to "started having sex" that could be damning or at least somewhat exonerating, and it seems telling that it's not there in a statement he's released in his own defence.

Let's get one thing clear: if someone claims to have done actions A and B, and someone else claims he should have done B, I'm not commenting on A for telling the second guy to read a little harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

I think Bambi85 met him too and echoes that impression. You'd wonder how he lasted this long if he didn't even have a veneer of likeability to smooth things over.

Lauer was well-known for being a Grade A prick amongst his colleagues and across the NBC network at large. Arrogant, nasty, dismissive, prone to temper tantrums and bullying staff he didn't like out of the workplace. Not surprised in the slightest that he's also a creepy pervert, the man did what he liked with no consequences for literally decades. Totally bought into the hype and NBC created a monster with the profile they built around him and the stupid salary and star treatment. He was untouchable for so long in there, I've no shame in enjoying every minute of his downfall.

Absolutely sounds like rape, it's hard to believe that he ever felt it was some kind of crossed wires thing when she pushed him off and wanted him to stop. It took her crying for him to realise that perhaps she didn't want it?

This is one thing that worries me about some of those online 'seduction' communities, how they talk about seduction and persuasion. One man's persuasion is another persons intimidation.

Yeah, there's a group where many of their members or spokespeople are banned from entering some countries, due to their 'techniques' being pretty much along the lines of 'she's there for the taking, so take her'. I think they are called 'PUA masters' or something-even upload videos of their 'seductions' to youtube-it's pretty much 'grobe and grab drunk woman until she snogs you'. It's disturbing, to say the least.

From what I've seen of other so called pick-up artists, many of them are along the lines of 'if you don't have a healthy respect for the opposite sex, leave now'. Yes, they want to help you get a girlfriend, a partner, or a wife. But they emphasize 'No means No'. And if you're 'friendzoned' by a woman, being friends with a woman is a good thing.

The incident where the student who couldn't get a date and then went on a school shooting, killing himself too was discussed by one dating coach, Richard LaRuina. He said he couldn't help the guy, because he had issues with women, and if he had come to him for advice on getting a date, his advice would have been to get therapy to deal with his issues. Those kinds of guys get kicked out of his classes.
    The Hoffman thing is so disappointing, he always seemed one of the more decent types. I guess he is an actor, after all. Since he's over 70 now, I suspect the loss of his career won't hurt him too much.

Apparently he even groped Meryl Streep.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5181183/Dustin-Hoffman-exposed-daughters-classmate.html
    He wrote that Hoffman slapped her in the face and taunted her about her boyfriend John Cazale who died of cancer to draw a reaction during an emotional scene for Kramer vs Kramer.

The above quote is taken from this article.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5057429/Meryl-Streep-says-Hoffman-grope-claim-not-accurate.html

That's ****ing disturbing, to say the least. I'm sorry, but that's above and beyond uncalled for.

Also, one actress claimed she was pleading with him to stop groping her, and he wouldn't. This was while they were starring in a production of Death of a Salesman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Dustin Hoffman is a pig through and through. I thought it was common knowledge that he bullied Streep about her late husband and slapped her "to get a reaction" in their Kramer vs Kramer scenes. I know that Streep is not exactly popular in this thread but now when I think what her career must have been like with such a start I'm not going to blame her for distancing herself. These stories came out a few years ago, and there was a bunch of others - please don't make me go and search for links now, but two stories stood out for me:

He boasted in an interview how his first time with a girl was by deception. He got with a girl in a dark room at a house party, and she asked "is it you [his older brother's name]", he said yeah and had sex with her, only she freaked out when she saw it was actually him. He was much younger, perhaps even underage? He boasted how the lads at the party congratulated him afterwards.

On a movie set the first time he met a junior actress he groped her, and she reacted/exclaimed in public. She had to later apologise to him for that!

And now multiple accusations of physical assaults.

Oliver grilling him is nothing when you think about it.

Top 10 things to say if you're accused of sexual assault

1. 'I have the utmost respect for X actress/actresses'.
    2. 'I'm shocked and saddened'.
    3. 'I'm very sorry if I did do this but I didn't do it'.
    4. 'I am a gay man'.
    5. 'I don't remember this person but it didn't happen as they said it did'.
    6. 'I'm going to learn from this experience of sexually assaulting people'.
    7. 'I'm seeking help for my addiction'.
    8. 'I was drunk and don't remember'
    9. 'I'm very sorry if they feel bad'.
    10. 'Hopefully I can go away for a while and then be welcomed back with open arms'.

Morgan Spurlock has always been a sly piece of crap. His claim to fame, Super-Size Me, played loose with facts. For one thing, it failed to mention how Spurlock was a vegetarian for much of his life, so going back to eating meat, as well as eating such a high abundance of it, in a relatively short span of time, would cause a shock to the system.

His spinning this to be like 'oh, I'm part of the problem, but she only 'thought' she was raped' is just disgusting.
    strandroad wrote: »
    Dustin Hoffman is a pig through and through. I thought it was common knowledge that he bullied Streep about her late husband and slapped her "to get a reaction" in their Kramer vs Kramer scenes. I know that Streep is not exactly popular in this thread but now when I think what her career must have been like with such a start I'm not going to blame her for distancing herself. These stories came out a few years ago, and there was a bunch of others - please don't make me go and search for links now, but two stories stood out for me:

He boasted in an interview how his first time with a girl was by deception. He got with a girl in a dark room at a house party, and she asked "is it you [his older brother's name]", he said yeah and had sex with her, only she freaked out when she saw it was actually him. He was much younger, perhaps even underage? He boasted how the lads at the party congratulated him afterwards.

On a movie set the first time he met a junior actress he groped her, and she reacted/exclaimed in public. She had to later apologise to him for that!

And now multiple accusations of physical assaults.

Oliver grilling him is nothing when you think about it.

She never married Cazale, they were engaged, but his terminal illness meant they did not walk down the aisle. She's very reluctant to talk about that relationship, it's still very painful for her, even if she has since married and had children.
    Out of the tragedy, however, she met her future husband, Bob Gummer. He was a friend of her brothers, and was helping her move her stuff out of the apartment she shared with John Cazales. Only met once or twice before that.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/03/meryl-streep-kramer-vs-kramer-oscar

Hoffman was an absolute nightmare on Kramer vs Kramer, outside of taunting Meryl, before one scene, he actually slapped her in the face. Because he wanted her to give the performance 'he' wanted. Another actress was replaced because he made the set so tension filled, she started stammering, and couldn't stop. So she was fired. And the kid got tortured so he would give the reactions he wanted. Dustin I mean.

Super-Size Me was such a lame book. Gee, you ate nothing but chips and burgers and salt washed down with cola for 30 days and at the end of it you weighed a little more and something about some change in your kidneys? Whoda thunk it was possible? Everyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

Terry Crews has filed charges against his abuser. The LAPD detectives pretty much straight up told him to expect reprisals :eek:

https://twitter.com/terrycrews/status/941845696767913984

For those of you who are a bit innocent or naive, it should be slowly dawning on you that the Hollywood big players have been operating with the criminal underworld for a long, long time.

And we haven't even scratched the surface yet. This is absolutely a hybrid political/criminal/big business mafia in operation here.
    And they've all got dirty hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Super-Size Me was such a lame book. Gee, you ate nothing but chips and burgers and salt washed down with cola for 30 days and at the end of it you weighed a little more and something about some change in your kidneys? Whoda thunk it was possible? Everyone?

In fairness it brought up the size of these massive meals, not just their content. We don't really have it here but for me it was the first time when I saw how massive their drinks or fries are, and it was shocking.

Looks like he shot himself in the foot now though, admitting that he was never sober for 30 years - it means that he was drinking through the filming, which renders his medical claims useless or fraudulent, and might trigger legal action.

At the end of Spurlocks statement he muses that it was his parents relationship that caused 'his' problems, not only putting the blame on his father and the mother who raised him alone, but rendering himself a victim of the challenging circumstances he was brought up in.

Circumstances that millions of decent people are familiar with, and somehow manage to refrain from assaulting and cheating and generally being horrid human beings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Reading Dustin Hoffmans methods of getting a performance makes me appreciate the genius of Shane meadows all the more.. He has fascinating methods to get what he wants in scenes and he's not a cnt

Reading Dustin Hoffmans methods of getting a performance makes me appreciate the genius of Shane meadows all the more.. He has fascinating methods to get what he wants in scenes and he's not a cnt

He wasn't even the director, either. Meryl 'forgave' him because she got her Oscar, so yeah-tells you where her priorities lie-and Dustin was still whinging after winning.
    (Kudos to Christopher Reeve, he really was Superman, comforting the kid when he didn't win.)

Richard Linklater, Martin Scorsese, the Coen Brothers, Paul Thomas Anderson-there are some great directors out there who can coax a great performance out of a child actor (Mathew Vaughan is another one) and their adult cast, without resorting to physical abuse or torture. Scorsese will tell actors to improvise, a slap or two in Goodfellas is unscripted, but never to the point where the actors berate him.

Peter Jackson reveals the lengths Weinstein went to ruin Mira Sorvino and Ashley Judd's respective careers. Judd revealed she was called in for a possible casting in Lord of the Rings, by Peter and Fran, shown concepts, costumes etc, and then never heard from em again.

I have to wonder if Judd was Weinstein's 'bit on the side' aka the woman he used for sex in exchange for roles. Based on a joke in Family Guy (I'm sleeping with someone at Paramount starring Ashley Judd) hence my suspicions. https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/99885932/sir-peter-jackson-breaks-silence-on-harvey-weinstein

Sorvino is tragic-she was dating Tarantino, putting her eggs into that basket, hoping he'd help her career. Then Weinstein blacklisted her, Tarantino probably did too (As a spiteful 'dumped' guy) and even with Paul Sorvino as her dad, she was doomed.
    That actually angers me-yes, you can say she worked with Woody Allen to get an Oscar, but that was her career beginning. It was shut down pretty quickly after that.

Terry Zwigoff (director of Bad Santa) has said similar things, as he wanted to cast Sorvino in Bad Santa, the Weinstein's just hung up on him.
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/99928520/bad-santa-director-backs-sir-peter-jacksons-claim-on-mira-sorvino-blacklisting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Morgan has the look of a rapist just by his mustache.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Some of her rants sound like the rantings of an addict-we know she does Coke and weed, so a lot of it rings of paranoia.

http://deadline.com/2017/12/rose-mcgowan-meryl-streep-jessica-chastain-emma-stone-golden-globe-awards-protest-sexual-harassment-1202228708/

So much of this 'dressing in black protest' just rings hollow, in my eyes. I have to agree with Rose a little on this one. Too much of this 'solidarity' rings a little of Mean Girls-ie 'we're all wearing black, and if you don't, you're not one of us'.
    There's even fashion mags asking 'Meryl' if she'll be wearing black-and she's responding with 'I don't know, tune in and watch'...so they are making this an event. That's all wrong, in my eyes.
    Some noted how a better representation would be to stay home, to not turn up.
    And what about the guys who were groped, or assaulted? What do they wear, since guys already wear black tuxes anyways? An armband would be a great symbol, tbh.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5189173/Is-Dustin-Hoffman-sex-predator.html

Sorry for the double post, but the allegations against Hoffman are seriously disturbing, including sexual assault and coercion bordering on rape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

She needs serious psychiatric help right now. "RoseArmy" ? Dear God.

Rose McGowan is starting to sound like someone who is getting drunk and addicted to their recent fame - achieving more notoriety than now than in the entirety of her acting career. I, like a lot of people most likely, had never heard of her before.

However whatever is happening to Terry Crews is f*cking insane. The police have told him to expect reprisals from WME and even believes his home and the homes of his loved ones are tapped.

The police told him that people like that don't play fair. He even said that if he suddenly vanishes/goes quiet, then something has happened.

Rose McGowan is starting to sound like someone who is getting drunk and addicted to their recent fame - achieving more notoriety than now than in the entirety of her acting career. I, like a lot of people most likely, had never heard of her before.

However whatever is happening to Terry Crews is f*cking insane. The police have told him to expect reprisals from WME and even believes his home and the homes of his loved ones are tapped.

The police told him that people like that don't play fair. He even said that if he suddenly vanishes/goes quiet, then something has happened.

Yeah I think she's not the best spokes person kind of like how Caitlyn Jenner is an awful spokesperson for transgender folk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

McGowan is the same person who was standing up on stage at some #metoo event with her first balled up in the air black panther style. She is absolutely revelling in this to the point where it seems to be more about the publicity for her than something actually being done about the sexual harassment. "Rose army", ffs.

This dressing in black idea is predictably pathetic aswell. Wouldn't it make a far bigger statement if women in Hollywood agreed en masse to not attend the golden globes? Oh but no, they have to be seen on the red carpet so that's not happening. Half of them would be wearing black to the bloody thing anyway. The narcissism is never ending.

Advertisement