Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Christy42 wrote: »
    Does not always have to be verbal but it needs to be there.

It was there....... remaining in that bed after Melaine began to have oral sex with her was conveying consent.
    allym wrote: »
    Sexual assault is not being dragged down an alley at knife point.

Yeah, I'm aware of that.
    If you don’t believe her account then fair enough, that’s your opinion. But to base it solely on the fact that she didn’t react as you would expect someone to is unfair. Again, none of us know how we would react and it’s foolish to think otherwise.

The only one being foolish here is you. This whole nonsense about believing victims just because they say they were a victim is ridiculous, not to mention dangerous. How about we take each accusation on it's own merits before giving our opinions (not that we should be doing so without a trial having first taken place, mind... but here we unfortunately find ourselves).
    Edit: actually the victim knowing the perpetrator often makes it worse in terms of processing what’s happening. There’s an element of the brain going “but this is my friend/boyfriend/husband/girlfriend/wife/whoever... they can’t be doing this”. Which makes it harder for people to respond at all

I'm sure it is hard to tell a friend to stop but awkward sex =/= rape.

Timothy (by her own admission) was harassed for hours by Melanie the night before for sex. She said she was trying to sleep and Melanie wouldn't leave her alone. The next night, despite that, she began playing sex games with her and got back into her bed. She allowed Melanie to touch her knowing that she was sexually attracted to her and even let her touch her breasts. Melanie then went down on her and later used a sex toy on her. Again, Timothy is not a paraplegic and so there is no reason why she could not have just pushed her off her and left the room, let alone why she would freeze in that moment and to remain so for an hour or more.

To cut your inevitable strawman argument(s) off at the pass: No I do not think that just because you get in someone's bed that they then have a right to rape you and I absolutely see how someone could genuinely freeze when the person they are in bed with begins sexually assaulting them......... BUT there would need to be a whole different set of circumstances in place for me (or anyone with so much as an ounce of common sense) to accept that could have been what occurred here.

Someone simply does not freeze when someone touches them that moments before they were happy enough to play sex games with and allow them to fondle their boobs. There was no element of shock here. She knew Melanie was into her and wanted to have sex with her and so if you want to put that down to just being my opinion, knock yourself out, but as far as I am concerned my opinion is based on logical reasoning and yours the latest right-on nonsense about how we should believe all accusations because.................................. well, I'm still waiting for a good reason for why we should be doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Crea wrote: »
    JK Rowling tweeting that she is considering stopping Johnny Depp from playing Grindlewald in the next movie due to the domestic assault allegations.

Where did you see that?

As I read what she said earlier and it was pretty much that as long as Johnny and Amber had moved on, that's what she feels people should be doing:

However, the agreements that have been put in place to protect the privacy of two people, both of whom have expressed a desire to get on with their lives, must be respected. Based on our understanding of the circumstances, the filmmakers and I are not only comfortable sticking with our original casting, but genuinely happy to have Johnny playing a major character in the movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

In that situation who lies there and doesn't say stop?
    Who cant say no, dont do that?
    She could have got up and left. The excuse of wanting to go to sleep, that her friend had worn her down is, imo, nonsense.

Never heard of either of these two before. Is there a sense of jumping on the bandwagon with some of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,283 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Well, another accusation thrown at Bryan Singer-he's accused of rape and forcing oral sex on a minor.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5158061/Bryan-Singer-sued-raping-17-year-old-boy.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

It was there....... remaining in that bed after Melaine began to have oral sex with her was conveying consent.

Yeah, I'm aware of that.

The only one being foolish here is you. This whole nonsense about believing victims just because they say they were a victim is ridiculous, not to mention dangerous. How about we take each accusation on it's own merits before giving our opinions (not that we should be doing so without a trial having first taken place, mind... but here we unfortunately find ourselves).

I'm sure it is hard to tell a friend to stop but awkward sex =/= rape.

Timothy (by her own admission) was harassed for hours by Melanie the night before for sex. She said she was trying to sleep and Melanie wouldn't leave her alone. The next night, despite that, she began playing sex games with her and got back into her bed. She allowed Melanie to touch her knowing that she was sexually attracted to her and even let her touch her breasts. Melanie then went down on her and later used a sex toy on her. Again, Timothy is not a paraplegic and so there is no reason why she could not have just pushed her off her and left the room, let alone why she would freeze in that moment and to remain so for an hour or more.

To cut your inevitable strawman argument(s) off at the pass: No I do not think that just because you get in someone's bed that they then have a right to rape you and I absolutely see how someone could genuinely freeze when the person they are in bed with begins sexually assaulting them......... BUT there would need to be a whole different set of circumstances in place for me (or anyone with so much as an ounce of common sense) to accept that could have been what occurred here.

Someone simply does not freeze when someone touches them that moments before they were happy enough to play sex games with and allow them to fondle their boobs. There was no element of shock here. She knew Melanie was into her and wanted to have sex with her and so if you want to put that down to just being my opinion, knock yourself out, but as far as I am concerned my opinion is based on logical reasoning and yours the latest right-on nonsense about how we should believe all accusations because.................................. well, I'm still waiting for a good reason for why we should be doing that.

Nope. Not consent. Look at it the other way. Melanie knew she had been refused sex at several points. You would think she would have looked for something more solid than lying still for consent at that point.

I have said consent needs to be actively given. Doing nothing is not giving consent I don't know how many times that needs to be repeated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Seems Kevin Spacey has been accused of groping Scandinavian royalty.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-42284021

• Registered Users Posts: 22,020 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Not backing what the men have done but here is an example where people find it funny that a woman gropes a guys privates and they all laugh about it saying it is different even though they guy ended up blocking the girl from social media

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Was watching The Apprentice during the week, one female contestant was taking measurements of a male model's trouser size, she was being super pervy and measured from his penis at one stage. It was only laughed off.

If a guy did the same to a woman, he'd be kicked off the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

siblers wrote: »
    Was watching The Apprentice during the week, one female contestant was taking measurements of a male model's trouser size, she was being super pervy and measured from his penis at one stage. It was only laughed off.

If a guy did the same to a woman, he'd be kicked off the show.

It actually received a considerable amount of criticism online and in the media over it. One example below. Was trending on twitter.

http://amp.timeinc.net/nme/news/tv/apprentice-criticised-showing-objectification-male-models-2169273?source=dam&__twitter_impression=true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

Disgraced publicist Max Clifford has died in prison. I wonder if he kept documents to be distributed after he died?
    He would definitely know where the bodies are buried, so to speak:

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/britain/disgraced-publicist-max-clifford-dies-after-collapsing-in-jail-36394622.html

• Advertisement

Disgraced publicist Max Clifford has died in prison. I wonder if he kept documents to be distributed after he died?
    He would definitely know where the bodies are buried, so to speak:

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/britain/disgraced-publicist-max-clifford-dies-after-collapsing-in-jail-36394622.html

Wouldn't matter now-the guy is so disgusting, and his own secrets more disturbing, that nobody would care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I was at a wedding on Saturday night where there was a lot of arse-grabbing and saying #metoo going on. :o:o:o It’s been so omnipresent over the last while that I guess it’s on everyone’s mind.

I feel bad for Weinstein and spacy etc, they're out of pocket no end, so why not reverse it and seek to fill the gap (pardon the pun) in the market!!.

Ever the wallflower??? always the bridesmaid and never the bride??
    we'll sexually harass you for a small fee!! just tweet us at #metooplease

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I was at a wedding on Saturday night where there was a lot of arse-grabbing and saying #metoo going on. :o:o:o It’s been so omnipresent over the last while that I guess it’s on everyone’s mind.

That was always going to be the problem with #metoo ...the conflation of groping, leering, innuendo, unwanted flirtations and even awkward embarrassing sex with actual rape.

The whole thing is suspicious though, another manufactured way of atomising society, dividing people,.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Why did it take so long to get rid of this guy :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

cloudatlas wrote: »
    There's something about Anne Hathaway that really rubs me up the wrong way but she responded really well to that line of questioning. I admire her for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

You'd wonder why Trump is getting off scot free though.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/11/donald-trumps-metoo-moment-three-women-accuse-sexual-misconduct/

Why not the same clamour in the media about him? My guess is he is too powerful, and media organisations are dependent on a good relationship with the White House.

Malayalam wrote: »
    That was always going to be the problem with #metoo ...the conflation of groping, leering, innuendo, unwanted flirtations and even awkward embarrassing sex with actual rape.

The whole thing is suspicious though, another manufactured way of atomising society, dividing people,.

I thought Jennifer Lawrence talking about the photo hack again (a few weeks ago) and how 'violated' she was was a really, really immature and blinkered thing for her to say.
    This in light of the Weinstein thing and how actually physically violated many women were.
    An absolute self-obsessed brat.
    You'd wonder why Trump is getting off scot free though.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/11/donald-trumps-metoo-moment-three-women-accuse-sexual-misconduct/

Why not the same clamour in the media about him? My guess is he is too powerful, and media organisations are dependent on a good relationship with the White House.

Similar with Woody Allen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

Former Disney child star Bella Thorne has revealed that she was sexually molested, although she claims it wasn't by Disney.

Anyone who has been tracking her very erratic behaviour would know that something is seriously wrong with her emotionally:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5166355/Bella-Thorne-reveals-molested.html

Former Disney child star Bella Thorne has revealed that she was sexually molested, although she claims it wasn't by Disney.

Anyone who has been tracking her very erratic behaviour would know that something is seriously wrong with her emotionally:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5166355/Bella-Thorne-reveals-molested.html

Hope she gets therapy for it. That's usually the age a victim of molestation will start acknowledging the abuse, in their early 20s.
    Which Bella is now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Wow....Lauer is a Grade A Twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Wow....Lauer is a Grade A Twat.

Yeah with his 'wardrobe malfunction' heh heh :mad:.
    Some of those paparazzi photographers will actually lie down on the ground so they can get get pics of a womans crotch as she gets out of the limo.
    That's not a wardrobe malfunction it's a human decency malfunction.

Some of those paparazzi photographers will actually lie down on the ground so they can get get pics of a womans crotch as she gets out of the limo.

it's the same as having mirrors on your shoes and walking round a nightclub... so how is that "YOUR" malfunction I'd have said to him.

loads of these lads wouldn't get a boot in a spampede were it not for their money either, seriously....spacey, Weinstein, Lauer, fookin louis CK FFS!! even Jeremy piven with his Velcro hair line!!!

He was bringing in millions of people to the network every time he was on. Had none of the recent allegations not surface and the corresponding backlash in social and popular culture, then he would likely still be there.

One of my favourite quotes about the way paparazzi photographs are comes from the Extras Christmas episode, in which Gervais remarks that:

"You open the paper and you see a picture of Lindsay Lohan getting out of a car, and the headline is "Cover Up Lindsay, We Can See Your Knickers". Of course you can see her knickers - your photographer is lying in the road, pointing his camera up her dress to see her knickers! You're literally the gutter press. "

I get the impression that he just wanted to make her uncomfortable. It's probably how he gets his day-to-day kicks, knowing he can just wrong foot someone and knock them off guard even when he's not trying to knock them bandy.

Creep. :(

Candie wrote: »
    I get the impression that he just wanted to make her uncomfortable. It's probably how he gets his day-to-day kicks, knowing he can just wrong foot someone and knock them off guard even when he's not trying to knock them bandy.

Creep. :(

He's a real tool, too. Met him once years ago. He was a real arrogant arsehole.

Edit:

Just to add --

He was filming something in Galway and I asked, out of curiousity, what he was doing there. He pretty much told me to go away and was a real arsehole.

When they were filming I made sure to stand in the back, enough for my face to be visible but not obvious, pulling the silliest faces I could out of spite. Found the footage ages later and, lo and behold, there's my big stupid face in the background.

Love the thought that there were millions of people that saw my face and perhaps a few thousand thought, "what the f*ck is that guy doing?"

He's a real tool, too. Met him once years ago. He was a real arrogant arsehole.

I think Bambi85 met him too and echoes that impression. You'd wonder how he lasted this long if he didn't even have a veneer of likeability to smooth things over.

Candie wrote: »
    I think Bambi85 met him too and echoes that impression. You'd wonder how he lasted this long if he didn't even have a veneer of likeability to smooth things over.

There's a tonne of people who are extremely likeable once the camera is on them, but is a total complete jerk in public life.

There's a tonne of people who are extremely likeable once the camera is on them, but is a total complete jerk in public life.

Also quite a few that are just annoying on camera, but then meet em off camera, they're actually pretty darn nice.
    Colette Fitzpatrick was one of the few I've met who's nice off and on camera. Had no issue taking selfies with teens at some business presentation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,403 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Morgan Spurlock steps down from his production company after admitting that he had been accused of rape and had been guilty of sexual misconduct in the past

Advertisement