Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Testimony is considered evidence. What don’t you understand about that? People give their account under oath. It’s up to the jury to decide to whether they are credible. But testimony is a form of evidence. I know little about law and even I know this basic principle. If the person giving testimony is lying, then they are a perjurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

It's a little OT, but I promise I have a point.

In the book The Watchmen, there's this disturbing plot involving one of the characters having a relationship (and subsequently a child) with an individual who attempted to rape her.
    Many, even now, questioned the likelihood of this happening-that it might be some kind of disturbing 'fantasy' by the writer Alan Moore.

Sadly, no it's not. There are quite a few studies showing how many victims of rape will have a relationship with their rapist. The reasons can be quite varied (anything from not wanting to admit to being raped, (not victim blaming, btw, just noting it) to somehow convincing themselves that its a relationship-I know Joan Collins spoke about this, how she married her rapist who was also violently abusive). We even hear of children who were groomed and sexually abused who, later on as adults, still think they were in a relationship with their abuser.

Rape is a disturbing, and complicated, topic. So many varying shades of grey.

Again, I understand that such complex abusive relationships occur, but to compare the two women at the heart of this case, to the kind of women involved in those examples you reference, does the latter a gross injustice.

Mann's friend, at the time of the 'rape' (Talita Maia) testified:
    One of Harvey Weinstein’s rape accusers called the disgraced movie mogul her “spiritual soulmate” — and said she had the “best orgasm’’ with him, a former friend testified in Manhattan court Monday.

Talita “Coco” Maia, a Brazilian actress and ex-friend of alleged victim Jessica Mann, was asked on the stand what Mann revealed about her affair with Weinstein, which the accuser has acknowledged was partly consensual.

“Did (Mann) ever have a conversation with you regarding Harvey, about her interactions with him being the best orgasm she has ever had?’’ Weinstein’s lawyer Donna Rotunno asked Maia.

The defence witness replied, “She did volunteer that information at some point.’’

Mann testified last week that she faked an orgasm during a sex attack by Weinstein, telling him, “It was the best I ever had,’’ just to get away.

The witness, who was Mann’s roommate in Los Angeles, claimed that her former friend “seemed to really like (Weinstein) as a person”.

“She said a few times that he was her spiritual soulmate,” said Maia, adding that Mann never told her the producer hurt or raped her.

Maia said she met Mann on a movie set in October 2012, before the two moved in together in late 2012 or early 2013.

Maia said she took Mann — then an aspiring actress — to a party in the Hollywood Hills, where they met Weinstein for the first time.

Maia testified that at the party, she later saw Mann and Weinstein “coming out of a secluded area” and she remembered Mann giving Weinstein her number.

Mann, 34, has accused Weinstein of raping her twice — at the DoubleTree Hotel in Midtown on March 18, 2013, and again within months in California, even as their consensual relationship lasted several years longer. He is only charged in the alleged Manhattan attack.

Mann previously testified that Weinstein also allegedly forced oral sex on her in a bedroom at the Montage Beverly Hills in February 2013 — and that Maia was inside the suite at the time.

Maia recalled on the stand how she went with Mann and Weinstein up to the producer’s suite at the Montage after an Oscars party, at the pair’s urging.

“They specifically said it is not going to take a long time, can you please come with us?” she said, allegedly quoting Mann and Weinstein.

“I was just uncomfortable. … I didn’t want to go to a room with them,” Maia testified.

She eventually obliged, Maia said, and watched TV on the couch “for about 10 minutes” while Mann and Weinstein went into a room “and closed the door.”

She testified that Mann never asked her for help and that she did not seem upset afterwards.

Mann has said she continued her affair with Weinstein at least partly because she felt trapped, given his power in the industry and his allegedly abusive temper.

Maia also said Monday that she and Mann went to a movie screening later on the same day Mann claims she was raped by Weinstein at the DoubleTree — and that the pair saw Weinstein and his then-wife, Georgina Chapman.

It's clear Harvey is something of sleazeball and abused his position no end, intimidating young women at every chance he could get, using his position in the film industry as leverage but he wasn't charged with being a sleazeball creep. Had he been then I'd be the first to say he's guilty as charged, but rape and sexual assault are another matter and so far I see no evidence (beyond reasonable doubt at least) that he is guilty of either.

I just feel people are blinded by all the allegations made about him at this stage and all I can say to such people is pretend you never heard of Weinstein before and then look at the "evidence" presented and ask yourself if you feel that the case against him (with regards to what he was found guilty of) was proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

It's clear Harvey is something of sleazeball and abused his position no end, intimidating young women at every chance he could get, using his position in the film industry as leverage but he wasn't charged with being a sleazeball creep. Had he been then I'd be the first to say he's guilty as charged, but rape and sexual assault are another matter and so far I see no evidence (beyond reasonable doubt at least) that he is guilty of either.

Ah I was wondering where you were going with the last few posts.

So you are on weinsteins side in all this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Ah I was wondering where you were going with the last few posts.

That’s no surprise at all to anyone who knows Outlaw Pete’s posting history.

“I just feel people are blinded” - despite not knowing anything about the jury and having not sat through a trial like they did. I doubt he has read all the evidence they heard because who has time for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

hetuzozaho wrote: »

I'd say it's more the remote chance that some uppity bitch somewhere gets away with something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,652 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I just feel people are blinded by all the allegations made about him at this stage and all I can say to such people is pretend you never heard of Weinstein before and then look at the "evidence" presented and ask yourself if you feel that the case against him (with regards to what he was found guilty of) was proven.

They are no longer allegations he is a convicted rapist.

I'd put it another way, given that over 100 women have made allegations against him is anyone surprised this absolute scumbag is now a convicted rapist?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Harvey is now finally where he belongs, in Rikers Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i'd say the lad banter in harveys SUV going home after court everyday was top notch!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Harvey is now finally where he belongs, in Rikers Island.
    I thought they would be sending him to some country club, but maybe his case has become so high profile that they didn't want to risk pissing people off by putting him in a minimum security prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

23 years, I think i just heard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That's the end of oul Harvey so and no loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

23 years! In prison til he dies, effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

23 years, I think i just heard

That's a fair whack. Imagine he might get another few in the next trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,296 ✭✭✭✭Penn

tumblr_mrf8agTdEz1qi98lko2_500.gifv

• Registered Users Posts: 32,202 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Good news, he is also fooling fecking no one with his walking frame from the old man from up act.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Shelga wrote: »
    23 years! In prison til he dies, effectively.

tenor.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

He is 68 and will be 91 when he is released. Whatever health he has left will be obliterated and he will die or come out at death's door following his stint in prison. No longer will he have freedom as he knows it in society, no longer will he get to go near a female, enjoy a dinner or a drink in a nice restaurant. This is justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Finally some good news, hope the creep rots in there and gets a taste of his own medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,373 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

That's a fair whack. Imagine he might get another few in the next trial.

What is the max in total he can get?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What is the max in total he can get?

There was talk of potentially 20 something years for the Californian one. Not sure what the status is at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

There was talk of potentially 20 something years for the Californian one. Not sure what the status is at the moment.

Does it make a difference? Surely they’d run concurrently? Another conviction would eliminate any chance of early release though I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

He is 68 and will be 91 when he is released. Whatever health he has left will be obliterated and he will die or come out at death's door following his stint in prison. No longer will he have freedom as he knows it in society, no longer will he get to go near a female, enjoy a dinner or a drink in a nice restaurant. This is justice.

Not to mention his money will probably all be spent on 'protection' in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,296 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Kate Beckinsale posted about how Weinstein screamed at her and called her a c*nt for not looking sexy enough at a film premiere in New York a few weeks after 9/11.

https://twitter.com/JorCru/status/1237965244674093062

I mean, low on the scale of the abuses he's guilty of, but still shows what an odious prick he was from top to bottom, and in everything he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

KiKi III wrote: »
    Does it make a difference? Surely they’d run concurrently? Another conviction would eliminate any chance of early release though I’d say.

The US has a fondness for consecutive sentences. His 23 year sentence is a 3 year and a 20 year sentence to be served consecutively. If he is convicted in california as well they would defer that sentence until he has completed his sentence in New York.

He tests positive for coronavirus

Multiple women have come forward with claims of sexual assault and misconduct against actor Bryan Callen

https://tvline.com/2020/07/31/bryan-callen-sexual-assault-allegations-the-goldbergs-future/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Can't say I'm surprised. When the Chris D'elia allegations broke, many episodes of Callan and Brendan Schaub's podcast were deleted (by Schaub and Callen). Then Whitney Cummings, who also has a podcast, took down many episodes of her podcast with D'Elia and Callen.
    She's since deleted more episodes of her podcast... this was the woman who jumped on the metoo thing as soon as it was a thing.
    Turns out she was covering for lots of her buddies.

There''s an indepth article by the LA Times.... it goes into depth, with names, details... plenty of big name people tweeting out details. A few of those named in the article (as witnesses, not rapists) are voice actors or narrators. Apparently it was a well known 'secret'... explains why Callen's career never took off.

He'd also started to get surgical procedures done to his face to make himself look younger, just like others have been known to do (Brendan Schaub, for example, is also known to do this. And there's some allegations about him too).

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/story/2020-07-31/bryan-callen-sexual-misconduct-allegations

(Like the time Callen 'whipped it out' in front of her. She scrubbed this episode from her podcast.)

There''s an indepth article by the LA Times.... it goes into depth, with names, details... plenty of big name people tweeting out details. A few of those named in the article (as witnesses, not rapists) are voice actors or narrators. Apparently it was a well known 'secret'... explains why Callen's career never took off.

I dunno, I would have put it down to him not being funny at all and making points with fake gravitas as if he is saying something profound when he could just be looking at his watch and telling someone the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I dunno, I would have put it down to him not being funny at all and making points with fake gravitas as if he is saying something profound when he could just be looking at his watch and telling someone the time.

Well, he's been around for some time, has had appearances in many's a tv show.

But he was never the headliner. Even Chris D'elia had a few tv shows (one or two where he was the lead).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Every single man who is accused of this is guilty, without question.

Especially if there's multiple accusers. Multiple accusers automatically means definite guilt.

Literally no other explanation.

Advertisement