Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumber quotation €600 for small job

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

You say 'less than a days work' but the plumber has to charge for his day. I mean if he finishes your job at say 3.30 what can he do for the rest of the day?

Go and fix a leaky tap down the road and something else for someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

maryishere wrote: »

Because life is so easy and jobs just happen to come in like that.

Hi Mr Plumber. My tap is leaking and I need a call.

Well maryishere just let me log that for you and the next time I am on a job in the area that finishes a bit early I will pop in.

But Mr. Plumber my tap is leaking "NOW"

Ah maryishere that may be but attending now doesn't allow me to maximise my revenue stream for this 24 hour period..

Hi Boards. Its maryishere I have a leaking tap and the plumber told me that I would have to wait until he was in the area and could slot the job to allow him to Maximise his revenue stream for that period. Greedy \ lazy \ overpaid blah blah blah

If its that easy do an apprenticeship, buy a van and put a deposit on the Ferrari.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

maryishere wrote: »

I'll say one thing Mary, comical and all as your post is, If I was ' fixing a leaky tap down the road' a lot would depend on what road I was on. From experience I know that the more affluent the road and the more 4x4's parked on that road the harder it will be to get paid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Tell you what, I'm a qualified electrician I'll do the job for you for €300 provided it can be done in a day.

I am not currently RECI registered (as I'm not working in the trade), and I'm not insured or registered for tax for the same reason.
    So if I flood your house by mistake (it may not even be my fault) you will be paying for the repairs. Are you starting to get picture for where the other €300 goes now?

I also have a well paid full time job elsewhere so I don't really mind whether you're happy with my work and if you recommend me or not.
    Therefore I have no incentive to come back and rectify any snags.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,940 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Tell you what, I'm a qualified electrician I'll do the job for you for €300 provided it can be done in a day.

I am not currently RECI registered (as I'm not working in the trade), and I'm not insured or registered for tax for the same reason.
    So if I flood your house by mistake (it may not even be my fault) you will be paying for the repairs. Are you starting to get picture for where the other €300 goes now?

I also have a well paid full time job elsewhere so I don't really mind whether you're happy with my work and if you recommend me or not.
    Therefore I have no incentive to come back and rectify any snags.

I agree with the point you are making here. Isn't it funny though that people would think you are a great man & you get €300 for the job & the plumber quoting the OP would only get €300 if even that from the job despite charging €600 & everyone thinks him greedy.

There are so many things self employed have to factor in. Even getting the van serviced & DOE he might loose 2 or 3 working days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Well OP if it seems like a straight forward easy job and you are not happy about paying someone else to do it then do it yourself...

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

I get this alot when i charge. I would charge between 150-225 a day for my services. When i give a quote for say 750-900 a week sometimes, clients would say jesus thats very expensive, sure i get 400 a week wages, how can you charge me double when you work the same hours as me. Sure your man down the road charges people 80 euro a day.

Thankfully the rates are going up again, weve got it hard this last decade and deserve every cent we get.

As for the 600euro in the OP, 200 euro a day x 2 for 1 man, 80euro a day for x 2 days for the helper and the rest goes into the business for diesel/insurance etc.. I know youll be able to get someone down the pub to do it for 80-100 a day but he'll be on the dole and therell be no come back if he ruins your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

dil999 wrote: »
    Does the 600 include VAT?
    regina123 wrote: »
    I was given a quote of €600 (ex VAT)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    There are so many things self employed have to factor in. Even getting the van serviced & DOE he might loose 2 or 3 working days

I had a timing belt snap on me a few years ago. About ten days without van and a huge bill to pay as well.

Advertisement