Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumber quotation €600 for small job

Options
  • 03-10-2017 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey guys, I have a small job which is basically fitting a new shower, sliding door and shower tray. I was given a quote of €600 (ex VAT) which I think is a crazy price for less than a days work.

Is this the going rate for small jobs? How much do plumbers charge per day?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

There all busy.

If you won't pay it someone else will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

regina123 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I have a small job which is basically fitting a new shower, sliding door and shower tray. I was given a quote of €600 (ex VAT) which I think is a crazy price for less than a days work.

Thanks in advance!
    Does the plumber not have to fit the shower tray and then wait until the walls are tiled etc. is the shower just a replacement,what type/model shower

• Registered Users Posts: 7 regina123

I'm using enviroclad so it's not tiling .. yeah it's just a replacement, I bought a Triton fast fit electric shower

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The simple answer to whether it's reasonable or not is to get another quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

regina123 wrote:

Why not do it yourself?

• Advertisement

I've gotten quotes from €600-€900 but i don't understand how it can cost that much to fit a shower.. it's not hard labour and it's only a days work

Hitman 3000, I am not a plumber obviously ��

regina123 wrote:
    Hitman 3000, I am not a plumber obviously

Neither am I, but the weekend past I fitted a new shower and doors. YouTube is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Thanks in advance!

You say 'less than a days work' but the plumber has to charge for his day. I mean if he finishes your job at say 3.30 what can he do for the rest of the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I've gotten quotes from €600-€900 but i don't understand how it can cost that much to fit a shower.. it's not hard labour and it's only a days work

You don't set the rates, the market does. If there's better paying work elsewhere, why would a plumber turn it down to fit your shower?

• Advertisement

regina123 wrote:
    I am not a plumber obviously

Just a question then, how do you know it's a small job and that 600 is crazy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Try getting a number of quotes.
    I've used tradesman.ie and had some success.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Jimmy Rabbitte Snr

Thanks in advance!

I am a plumber. Without seeing what's involved, it doesn't seem a crazy price to me at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

do you not have to fit the enviroclad,tanking kit etc before the shower door and shower are fitted. its two visits for the plumber i would think

• Registered Users Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

You say 'less than a days work' but the plumber has to charge for his day. I mean if he finishes your job at say 3.30 what can he do for the rest of the day?

If it is purely for his time €600 for a days work is serious wedge. That's €150k per year with weekends off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tayschren

Plumbers,tilers, sparks have all re joined the gravy train. You wont find a decent price right now for any small job cause these trades are up to their b0llix in work and can turn down or wait till you realise you have to pay the exorbitant rates

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Part of that would be his Labour costs, maybe €200-250, they rest would be the cost of the showers tray etc plus fittings which all add up. Did he give you a breakdown quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Seve OB wrote: »
    If it is purely for his time €600 for a days work is serious wedge. That's €150k per year with weekends off!

Your assuming that he works every day. There are days spent looking at jobs and pricing jobs. Also he will more than likely have a helper to pay plus he will have invested in tools & equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Part of that would be his Labour costs, maybe €200-250, they rest would be the cost of the showers tray etc plus fittings which all add up. Did he give you a breakdown quote?

For €600 she's getting a bargain if that's including the shower door, tray and shower. Those three items alone would nearly come to €600.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Jimmy Rabbitte Snr

Your assuming that he works every day. There are days spent looking at jobs and pricing jobs. Also he will more than likely have a helper to pay plus he will have invested in tools & equipment.

And insurance, van costs, etc. Plumbing fittings, waste fittings, consumables (silicone etc.). All adds up. You're not only paying for his time. You're paying for his knowledge and experience too. You're paying to know the job is done correctly asuming he's a good plumber. Find someone who will do it for half that price, but when your shower door or tray is leaking in a few week, good luck getting him back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

We really need to start doing basic business studies at school.

revenue does not = profit.

He has insurance costs for public liability, professional indemnity etc,. van insurance, tool costs, van costs, trade costs, probably apprentice or laborer costs. He has to pay an accountant probably loan fees, company taxes, income taxes, rates, rent, advertising etc etc etc. Plus he doesn't get paid when he is sick, or on holidays or if his van breaks down..

I used to run a small business. It cost 250K per annum just to open the door. That was just fixed overheads..

If it is so simple and so lucrative go do an apprenticeship, buy a van and put a deposit on your Ferrari..

Disclaimer. I am not plumber or self employed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Recently had 2 brand new showers plumbed and wired, with tiles to the shower area. Cost of shower units and tiles came to about 1000. Labour for the installation came to about 1600. They were there 2 days doing bits. So what you've been quoted doesn't seem at all outlandish. Seems the going rate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

I know little of plumbing, but know a bit about being a self employed lawyer.

For the reasons already set out here, that is a reasonable quote, especially as he is supplying materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

Does the 600 include VAT?

Does he come recommended?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It's a two day job from what I can see.
    Day 1. Plumber installs the tray. & first fixes the shower.

You then get someone fit the plastic walls.

Day 2. Plumber comes back to 2nd fix the shower, door etc.

Are you replacing an existing electric shower or is this a complete new installation?

Full installation needs an electrician & plumber & you'll get a cert when done. You can expect to pay around 500 for an electrician & plumber with you providing the shower for a full installation.

Word of warning with mains fed electric showers. Irish water is reducing the water pressure and water flow more & more. On a weekly basis we are coming across mains fed showers that no longer heat the water or are too hot after working perfectly for years. The shower itself would be fine but not getting enough water. This could be a perfect time to install a Pumped electric shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Tayschren wrote:
    Plumbers,tilers, sparks have all re joined the gravy train. You wont find a decent price right now for any small job cause these trades are up to their b0llix in work and can turn down or wait till you realise you have to pay the exorbitant rates

Plumbers prices have really changed since the Tiger days. I never reduced my rates and I've had my busiest 10 years ever.

The cheap prices and the race to the bottom you might have seen wasn't by fully tax compliant plumber. Some plumbers went out of business and onto the dole. They gave cash prices. They'd be replace your gas boiler for 400 cash but they weren't rgi registered or insured. Many already had a few hundred euro before they even left the house as they were on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

knipex wrote: »

He has insurance costs for public liability, professional indemnity etc,. van insurance, tool costs, van costs, trade costs, probably apprentice or laborer costs. He has to pay an accountant probably loan fees, company taxes, income taxes, rates, rent, advertising etc etc etc. Plus he doesn't get paid when he is sick, or on holidays or if his van breaks down..

I used to run a small business. It cost 250K per annum just to open the door. That was just fixed overheads..

If it is so simple and so lucrative go do an apprenticeship, buy a van and put a deposit on your Ferrari..

Firstly I never said it was profit.
    Secondly I never said it was an unreasonable quote.
    Thirdly I totally agree with you on all the above. I should know.......... I'm an accountant :)

All I said was that it is decent money, especially if it is for pure labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Shimbabwe

Plumbers..electricians...see ya later hard earned cash!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I'm an accountant :)

Don't get me started!!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

knipex wrote: »

I'm a one man band. self employed.
    if I want to earn 100 euro a day and have some paid holidays I need to charge 190 euro a day plus vat
    the costs are crazy

Advertisement