Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mining stories

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭turbbo

Come on so. Ill go halves with you on outlay while also providing the electricity and facility.

Did you read my previous posts? Along with me being against it on environmental grounds, I don't trust any of the establishments, it's hard enough to trust the bits of paper in my actual leather wallet.
    Barter is the future - let me rent a field and plant some veg - honest work.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

turbbo wrote: »
    If you transfer money into your account, you'll have some explaining to do to revenue if you don't treat it as taxable income. So DIRT will be the least of your worries.

Only if the amount is significant. If it is likely to be, go live somewhere else where taxation isn't so extreme. Can't for the life of me fathom why h0neybadger would be moving a mining operation to this country.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Only if the amount is significant. If it is likely to be, go live somewhere else where taxation isn't so extreme. Can't for the life of me fathom why h0neybadger would be moving a mining operation to this country.

So what would you be planning a couple hundred euro? Wouldn't buy a decent rig never mind an asic unit. I've been intrigued by all the hype - but I've come to a slow conclusion - the whole thing is daft.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Can't for the life of me fathom why h0neybadger would be moving a mining operation to this country.
    An awful lot of crap posted up here on these hallowed boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

I'm Irish.

Moving home to Ireland.

Have family here.

Have other interests here.

And yes, it's not posted crap turbbo.

:)

I'm taking my farm to Ireland.
    Contents:
    60 s9 Antminers.
    240 Avalon 741 miners.
    50 rigs.
    40 Avalon 6.

• Advertisement

I'm Irish.

Moving home to Ireland.

Have family here.

Have other interests here.

And yes, it's not posted crap turbbo.

:)

Contents:
    60 s9 Antminers.
    240 Avalon 741 miners.
    50 rigs.
    40 Avalon 6.

jaysus some impact you're having on the environment with that nonsense. hope you get shut down by the esb.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Garda Assistant Commissioner reports bitcoin mining farm being operated by Kinahan gang

2 minutes into this report;
    https://www.rte.ie/news/player/2017/1116/10804256-six-one-news-web/

Garda Assistant Commissioner reports bitcoin mining farm being operated by Kinahan gang

2 minutes into this report;
    https://www.rte.ie/news/player/2017/1116/10804256-six-one-news-web/

Wow I thought you were taking the pi$$ - that is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Contents:
    60 s9 Antminers.
    240 Avalon 741 miners.
    50 rigs.
    40 Avalon 6.

What electricity supplier are you going to use for that if you dont mind me asking?

turbbo wrote: »
    jaysus some impact you're having on the environment with that nonsense. hope you get shut down by the esb.

Go away

• Advertisement

What electricity supplier are you going to use for that if you dont mind me asking?

We’re estimating around 3000amp supply needed.

But continuous draw of maybe around 2200-2300

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mucky_Tackies

Any chance of being able to come see it in action? As you'd see in an earlier post, interested and intrigued by it all. Have right setting for it, just havent a bulls notion on getting it operational and maintaining it.

Any chance of being able to come see it in action? As you'd see in an earlier post, interested and intrigued by it all. Have right setting for it, just havent a bulls notion on getting it operational and maintaining it.

Due to the value of hardware, I’ll not be disclosing the location.
    But I’ll provide pics, videos, info once it’s all up and running.
    Estimating 3-4 weeks until completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Couldn't decide on what mining motherboard I would buy, so I didn't buy any. I turned my old PC into a rig and last night I decided to turn my new PC into a rig too. Still perfectly usable as a PC while mining. So basically I only bought a bunch of gpus, a few cheap workhorse Corsair PSUs and some paraphernalia, like risers, splitter cables etc. from China

Running just under 300MH/s :cool: now on 11 RX580, making me a net profit (before depreciation of the hardware) of EUR15 per day at the current rates, solo mining ETH

Two of the largest rooms in the house are heated for free too.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

@ Unkel,

What about the noise?
    Is the net profit taking into account the electricity used?

Rigs are both running undervolted and the cores underclocked. Which means there really isn't much noise at all (except for a minute when the rig starts and the gpu fans run at 100% for a few seconds)

I pay fixed fee electricity, so all my extra electricity used for mining is free. If you pay normal rates and have a 24h meter (cheap night rate), the electricity costs of my rigs would be about €3-€4 per day

Hi, Can you provide a little more detail on inventory?
    I have access to a few old PCs and would like to look at the option of starting a rig.

Is there a basic requirement for mining or is it just the more power the more you can mine?

TIA

For ethereum mining, it's all about graphics cards.

There's tons of info available online for what cards get what performance. what works the best for which coins etc.

Here's a handy link for some quick info.

https://wccftech.com/ethereum-mining-gpu-performance-roundup/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Any of you fella's had a look at the new miner -- the DragonMint -- claimed to be the world's most efficient and profitable Bitcoin miner.
    https://halongmining.com/

Is it an extravagant claim ........... or even an outright scam?
    I dunno, the website looks as dated and wordpressy as hell. Suspicions.

Great specs if true. Will be a nice rival to Bitmain's S9 and Canaan's new A8 model.

However, I guess this is expected.. Shipping begins in March 2018, first come, first shipped.

As with nearly all ASIC miners, the producing company are probably running them 24/7 for a few months to get an ROI before selling them.

• Advertisement

Very risky business those ASIC miners. Get one early and you have your money back in no time with a bit of luck, but I'd say the majority of people buying them lose money. And very soon after a superior miner comes out, the older hardware is obsolete...

At least with ETH mining, all your hardware are in-demand PC parts and they are re-usable and doesn't depreciate much if you bought reasonably good value for money

I wouldn't classify it as obsolete.
    Yeah, the network hash rate will increase, and difficulty will rise, but the older models still work, still process blocks and as long as your in a pool, they're more than relevant.

I've still got several older models that are still profitable.

Until they break, they're worth running :)

That's because you are used to very cheap electricity. Throw in the normal household rates and when the ASIC is superseded by a newer gen model it would cost more electricity to mine than the revenue it generate. As soon as that happens the ASIC machine is worthless / obsolete / only good for playing with or learning

My point was that if all cryptos become worthless overnight, you can still easily sell all the main bits from your ETH mining rig and suffer minimal losses (just a bit of depreciation)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭patnor1011

What a nice thread you got here. Let me contribute little bit with some of my experiences and stuff.

I used to mine btc and ltc good few years back and stopped when first asics arrived. I got one of the first asics like butterfly labs and avalon but stopped shortly after they become unprofitable. Should have continue, that will be my biggest regret but that is life - you make good and bad choices...

Fast forward to this day, I mined some eth few months back with RX480 and become interested in monero. I do have rig up and running which I built myself 4 days ago. It is by no means the most fashionable one as I set it all up in a shoe rack from argos but it works for me.
    I do have script running which does monitor cards and in case of hash drop will restart everything without me being present. Fail-over pools and mining is now sort of fire&forget easy thing running 24/7. The only drawback is noise, which I do not have issues with but my wife is not very happy even that it produce nice amount of heat and we do not need to turn on heating. I want to keep her happy so I am looking for some better suited place for it like garden shed or loft.

My rig specs:
    Asrock H81 Pro BTC 2.0, 8 GB ddr3, 128 GB SSD, 1600W PSU
    1x oldish RX480 which is just placeholder for another new card
    4x Vega56
    Rig does 8400h/s on monero.

I plan to add some more to this, everything I bought is already paid off from what I mined when all this started. I was little bit lucky as I went in when it all just started so I do not need to be bothered much about ROI as I pretty much got it already.

As a side note, some people and their environmental impact hate speech is pathetic. There are literally tens of thousands of computers, not to mention lights in various government offices running 24/7 unnecessarily. A few crypto-currency miners in Ireland will never get even close to this kind of power waste.

The stability of your system is beautiful!

How did you come to the decision of mining Monero instead of ETH? Particularly with the current value of ETH when you built your rig?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I mined eth and it is much louder than monero. I went for quieter house. :D
    Mining Monero also gives me a better return.

I'm looking to invest in some rigs to get some mining going next year, been looking through cryptocompare at options and possible returns, etc but nothing particularly standing out.

Has anyone any recommendations for suppliers in Europe? I don't really want to pre-order from China if I can avoid it.

Can anybody point me to some mining software.
    I don't have a rig at present but would like to look at the SW to get to grips with it before investing.
    No a programmer so I guess I'd like to start with the easiest mining software I can.

To play around with mining, you can just use your Windows 10 PC with a decent graphics card, wannabecraig.

The easiest is to use the gpu as is (without modding the ROM), using it without tweaking any of the settings for voltages and speeds, just using the default Windows driver and use an easy efficient miner like Claymore

Linky

When that is all working, start playing with all of the above. Endless hours of nerdy fun :p

Of course you could alternatively use some of the dedicated Linux mining distros too like EthOS or SimpleMining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Just back from the launderette and the pillows are still slightly damp. Not a problem. :cool:

IMG_20171125_WA0016.jpg

Advertisement