Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mining stories

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Would a 4g Dongle suffice for data needs do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,878 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Finally got my PC (2GPUs) and my main mining rig (4GPUs) stable at a 40% higher than stock hash rate. Waiting for more bits and bobs to make more rigs and make them bigger. Have the GPUs already

Good news is that I have already received 5 mining pool payments :)

I don't think I will use all of the 13 GPUs I have, might make a rig and sell it. Big bonus in winter is the free heating though. My PC is heating the attic up to 29C at the moment (outside temp 3C), so I had to open the window. I'd say my PC + one 6-8 card rig 24/7 will easily take €300 off my heating bill over the winter months...

Even with just my PC and one 8 card rig, and an uptime of about 85-90%, I should be making over €300 per month. Investment for 8 cards and other stuff would have been less then €3k

Unless all those cryptocurrencies fall apart of course. Then I'll just have to sell the GPUs second hand on adverts.ie and take a small loss...

And here is my main rig - my old PC really that I could have sold for parts, but instead I built a wooden open air frame for free form bits of wood I had in the shed. And I bought some graphics cards. Just got my 6th payment from the mining pool. Nothing spectacular yet, but the mining calculators say I should make $400 per month once my PC with 2 GPUs and one rig with 8 GPUs are live. Investment for that would have been about $3000. Just 4 GPUs in my main rig at the moment but stable for over 30 hours running at 29MH/s (stock 21MH/s). See for yourselves :)

433340.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

You haven't set different cards up for different currencies? All pointed towards ETH?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,877 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

unkel wrote: »
    And here is my main rig - my old PC really that I could have sold for parts, but instead I built a wooden open air frame for free form bits of wood I had in the shed. And I bought some graphics cards. Just got my 6th payment from the mining pool. Nothing spectacular yet, but the mining calculators say I should make $400 per month once my PC with 2 GPUs and one rig with 8 GPUs are live. Investment for that would have been about $3000. Just 4 GPUs in my main rig at the moment but stable for over 30 hours running at 29MH/s (stock 21MH/s). See for yourselves :)

IG]
    Any pic of the actual rig? No reason just curious...

• Advertisement

Just ETH. Not dual mining. All cards in this rig are the same. Cores are severely under clocked (down to 1065 from 1380), which I think helps keep the fans down. Thus the noise. You can hear it's on, but it's not loud at all. The rig is in the conservatory, which is open plan connected to the kitchen (no door) so kids play there, people read the newspaper, etc. No pics at the moment, Thargor, but it is just a basic wooden frame almost exactly like this one:

Just ETH. Not dual mining.

Changed my mind already :D

Both my old PC (now the mining rig) and my new PC have decent CPUs, i5-4440 and i5-8600K respectively. Thought I might as well do some ZEC mining. Working grand in my new PC. Load went from 400W to 420W and CPU temp went from early 40s to early 50s. Grand stuff. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Stable in both my mining rig and my new PC. Some free extra coin there, who cares if it will be worth much.

Got a bit braver then and did (a lot more) research. Got dual mining with Claymore going ETH and DCR going in my new PC. But crashed immediately as the power drawn was going 470W and my poor old (fanless :eek:) 450W PSU was having none of it :p

Working grand now on the main rig. I have no idea how much this generates in extra revenues, but people say it will be well worth my while. Also good to get ready for when ETH mining is no longer possible / lucrative with GPUs

Bloody hell. Looks like the dual DCR + ETH is costing me about €100 per year in ETH but gaining me about €1500 per year in DCR for 12 GPUs. As always, based on current market values of course. Nothing is certain in this game, just the craic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,877 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

How does it cost you ETH exactly?

Your hashrate mining ETH goes down if you dual mine. The idea is that you are more than compensated by the extra mining of the other coin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

without disclosing too much info just yet, I've just completed my request to upgrade my new warehouse electricity to 3000amps / 1200kva.

More info to follow in the next few weeks :) with plenty of pics!

That's almost 50 times what an Irish house gets. Happy mining! :D

Hope you're in Siberia somewhere? Winter is coming :p

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

That's almost 50 times what an Irish house gets. Happy mining! :D

Hope you're in Siberia somewhere? Winter is coming :p

I was outside the EU for a while mining. Now were returning to Ireland to setup here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Are Bitmain the only show in town for ACIS miners?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mucky_Tackies

Right lads, need some thoughts on this. Have a warehouse with ample space and separated out sections that I can cordon off an area for rigs. It also comes with 3-phase and no electricity charges. Havent had a bill in 3 years.

Room I could use would have no one working in there and large thick walls means noise wouldnt be too big an issue I think.

The only problem: haven't a bull's notion on mining or computers! Do understand cryptos at least but zero acumen in programming, software, hardware etc.

Couple of questions:
    - are there mobs that would sell, install and remotely monitor/manage the rigs for a service fee?
    - are there mobs who would lease the machinery in return for split of returns?
    - how time consuming is managing a rig and what sort of expertise would be needed?

Find this all fantastic discussion and can smell opportunity given the background but am apprehensive given paucity of knowledge in the wonderful world of CPUs, GPU's and all other manner of computer garble!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭turbbo

Right lads, need some thoughts on this. Have a warehouse with ample space and separated out sections that I can cordon off an area for rigs. It also comes with 3-phase and no electricity charges. Havent had a bill in 3 years.

Room I could use would have no one working in there and large thick walls means noise wouldnt be too big an issue I think.

The only problem: haven't a bull's notion on mining or computers! Do understand cryptos at least but zero acumen in programming, software, hardware etc.

Couple of questions:
    - are there mobs that would sell, install and remotely monitor/manage the rigs for a service fee?
    - are there mobs who would lease the machinery in return for split of returns?
    - how time consuming is managing a rig and what sort of expertise would be needed?

Find this all fantastic discussion and can smell opportunity given the background but am apprehensive given paucity of knowledge in the wonderful world of CPUs, GPU's and all other manner of computer garble!!!

LOL - You do realise it's all speculative in terms of earnings. My advice would be start small - build one rig and try and figure out all of the basics first before seeking a load of "expertise". I dabbled with a gaming rig I had back in 2010 and I left it run for a couple of days and I had by the end of it a 0.000006 bitcoin in the wallet. I wasn't sure what to do with it so I just gave up. The complexity with all of this crap is how do I convert it back into real hard cash in the claw.

LOL - You do realise it's all speculative in terms of earnings.
    Yes, entirely aware of the speculative nature. Have been in cryptos since 2012, well versed in the speculative nature.

"The complexity with all of this crap is how do I convert it back into real hard cash in the claw."
    Perhaps have as better handle on that so that end of it doesnt worry me as much.
    my advice...build one rig
    I dont want to get into that area as I have little to no knowledge. Hence the actual questions asked- all related to employing or contracting 3rd parties who do have the knowledge. If you've anything on that front, would love to hear it.

Yes, entirely aware of the speculative nature. Have been in cryptos since 2012, well versed in the speculative nature.

Perhaps have as better handle on that so that end of it doesnt worry me as much.

I dont want to get into that area as I have little to no knowledge. Hence the actual questions asked- all related to employing or contracting 3rd parties who do have the knowledge. If you've anything on that front, would love to hear it.

Fair dos. Yeah I guess I could build a rig no bother, if you got all the other stuff covered.

Have you experience in installing, managing and maintaining rigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,747 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

turbbo wrote: »
    LOL - You do realise it's all speculative in terms of earnings. My advice would be start small - build one rig and try and figure out all of the basics first before seeking a load of "expertise". I dabbled with a gaming rig I had back in 2010 and I left it run for a couple of days and I had by the end of it a 0.000006 bitcoin in the wallet. I wasn't sure what to do with it so I just gave up. The complexity with all of this crap is how do I convert it back into real hard cash in the claw.

Where is the complexity? Send the bitcoin to somewhere like Belgacoin and they SEPA the money to your bank account. Given the transaction fees, you might want to accumulate a bit more before doing that.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    Where is the complexity? Send the bitcoin to somewhere like Belgacoin and they SEPA the money to your bank account. Given the transaction fees, you might want to accumulate a bit more before doing that.

Yeah that would be my main worry all brokers will be out to fleece I take it you've seen wolf of wall st.

Have you experience in installing, managing and maintaining rigs?

No. I have plenty of experience in building PCs and maintaining them.
    Bit coin mining has become a little bit more sophisticated in the years that I've been absent from it - in terms of asic hardware taking over that area - I'm guessing you'd be aiming for that rather than a multi GPU rig.

The complexity with all of this crap is how do I convert it back into real hard cash in the claw.

It really is very simple, cheap and quick.

Transfer from your ETH wallet (that the mining pool pays into) to an exchange like Kraken. The fee for this is tiny, like 0.0000001 ETH and the transaction takes a few minutes. Than sell at the exchange for FIAT. This only takes a few seconds. Fee is really quite small. A fraction of 1% of the full market rate.

Then SEPA transfer to your bank account. Guess how much it costs to withdraw €1000 to your SEPA bank account? Just looked it up for you. €0.09. Takes up to 1 day.

10 or 20 of these:
    https://youtu.be/D03GyDBMqkM?t=624

Rake it in.

It really is very simple, cheap and quick.

Transfer from your ETH wallet (that the mining pool pays into) to an exchange like Kraken. The fee for this is tiny, like 0.0000001 ETH and the transaction takes a few minutes. Than sell at the exchange for FIAT. This only takes a few seconds. Fee is really quite small. A fraction of 1% of the full market rate.

Then SEPA transfer to your bank account. Guess how much it costs to withdraw €1000 to your SEPA bank account? Just looked it up for you. €0.09. Takes up to 1 day.

I don't trust AIB never mind Kraken.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,747 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Yeah that would be my main worry all brokers will be out to fleece I take it you've seen wolf of wall st.

They charge 1.5%. The mining fees can be a bigger worry. The government charges 41% on bank interest. Not sure I have seen it, probably not.

cnocbui wrote: »
    They charge 1.5%. The mining fees can be a bigger worry. The government charges 41% on bank interest. Not sure I have seen it, probably not.

If you transfer money into your account, you'll have some explaining to do to revenue if you don't treat it as taxable income. So DIRT will be the least of your worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

What entry level GPUs are worth getting for black Friday I hope to pick up 2 nvidia GPUs for around 200 pounds each.

Just thinking about the environmental impact of all this. It's rotten really as it produces nothing at the end of it all apart from a dirtier hotter planet.

• Advertisement

10 or 20 of these:
    https://youtu.be/D03GyDBMqkM?t=624

Rake it in.

Come on so. Ill go halves with you on outlay while also providing the electricity and facility.

Advertisement