Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Game Horrorthon 2017

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I just started Amnesia Dark Descent on the PS4 last night.
    Already too creepy for me!

I think I need to start at the shallow end of the horror game pool... maybe the Bowser levels from Super Mario World...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

J. Marston wrote: »
    Watched some gameplay of Little Nightmares and it really interests me. Seriously creepy and some good platforming and puzzles.

Will get it closer to Halloween.
    SBFs? I played it a few months ago, love the details in it and it plays really well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I just started Amnesia Dark Descent on the PS4 last night.
    Already too creepy for me!

I think I need to start at the shallow end of the horror game pool... maybe the Bowser levels from Super Mario World...

You should play Soma. It's not as scary as Amnesia (although it does get intense) and is more of a hard sci fi story which I know you are into. It's got an absolute gut punch of an ending as well. Made by the Amnesia people and I think it's the much better game.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

SBFs? I played it a few months ago, love the details in it and it plays really well.

Yep, I like their horror series. Gives me a few ideas for scary games near Halloween.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Yep, I like their horror series. Gives me a few ideas for scary games near Halloween.
    I try to only watch stuff I played (I'm mad about the Policenauts playthrough, what a game!).
    I saw lately they played Bug Island, we played it one night til the end but you have to replay it, like Ghouls and Ghosts except GnG is s good game :pac:

• Advertisement

Started Yomawari last night, really scary. Tutorial itself was horrifying.
    Edit : very little hand holding makes it scarier. I'm looking for someone it didn't even give me any ideas but my guess was fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You should play Soma. It's not as scary as Amnesia (although it does get intense) and is more of a hard sci fi story which I know you are into. It's got an absolute gut punch of an ending as well. Made by the Amnesia people and I think it's the much better game.

I watched them play through most of Soma at the Halloween Beers a while ago, looked very good indeed...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Played Until Dawn / Dying Light last October, installed The Evil Within the other night, hopefully its good and short coming off the back of Fallout 4!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

penev10 wrote: »
    Played Until Dawn / Dying Light last October, installed The Evil Within the other night, hopefully its good and short coming off the back of Fallout 4!

It takes about 20 hours, unless you have issues with motion sickness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Finished Silent Hill 2 last night. Seemed shorter than I remember - time clocked at the end was a mere 7.5 hours. Anyway, this is what survival horror is all about and what developers should aspire to. I haven't played it since it first came out on the PS2. This particular run through was on the universally panned HD collection but I didn't have any issues and it looked ok to me. It's a very unsettling game and I loved every second of it. Very claustrophobic feel to it and brought back memories of why I loved this series. However, you could tell it was an old game due to the control system in place. Started the third game last night which doesn't have quite the same impact but I do remember enjoying it when it was first released so hopefully it picks up the pace.

• Advertisement

Started the third game last night which doesn't have quite the same impact but I do remember enjoying it when it was first released so hopefully it picks up the pace.
    Let me know what you think of 3.
    I've never played two, seen it run so many times by a friend I just didn't bother but I might someday.
    4 is marmite to me, absolutely love the ideas and monsters but
    the back tracking and the endings ... if I minded Eileen that much for the good ending is have pulled out my hair.
    Nothing really happened, it's not like the Letter ending in SH2 that had me in bits, that's a proper reward.
    Better off to let her bate and look up the good ending on YouTube.

Let me know what you think of 3.
    I've never played two, seen it run so many times by a friend I just didn't bother but I might someday.
    4 is marmite to me, absolutely love the ideas and monsters but
    the back tracking and the endings ... if I minded Eileen that much for the good ending is have pulled out my hair.
    Nothing really happened, it's not like the Letter ending in SH2 that had me in bits, that's a proper reward.
    Better off to let her bate and look up the good ending on YouTube.

Will do. I wasn't mad about the 4th one meself. It was the only Silent Hill game I didn't finish. I'd like to try it again to see if my opinion changed but doubt I'll get a chance to.

Can you think if anything else on the PS3 I might like? I did enjoy Siren Blood Curse. Tempted to give that another go it's been so long.

Will do. I wasn't mad about the 4th one meself. It was the only Silent Hill game I didn't finish. I'd like to try it again to see if my opinion changed but doubt I'll get a chance to.

Can you think if anything else on the PS3 I might like? I did enjoy Siren Blood Curse. Tempted to give that another go it's been so long.
    The last boss is 4 is very frustrating so if you do go back to it, at least you'll expect it. It's harder
    the more Eileen is hurt through the game
    Can you get Siren 2 in PSN it's my favourite but you can't brace doors that was new.
    I'd give Haunting Ground a go similar to the child stages in Blood Curse

Gotta say I have come around on Silent Hill 3. It was a slow enough start but I'm really after getting into it. The gameplay itself is very old school but the atmosphere really makes it shine. Some really gross imagery. It seems to be more of a sequel to the first rather than the second. Puzzles are fun but not too difficult and I haven't really struggled on any for very long. Recommended! There has been some frame rate drops on this which I didn't really experience on the second one but nothing too major.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Playing Resident Evil : Revelations and Until Dawn lined up after

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Really enjoyed Until Dawn and wouldn't have considered it my type of game setting out.
    Played RE Revelations 2 but played it on easy 'cos I hate resource management. I'll probably run through it again on normal at some point.

I have RE revelations 1 and 2 sitting there. Will give them a go after I finish Silent Hill 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

For me I'm going to dust off the old PS2 and give the Project Zero series a run through. Sadly horror films or games don't scare me but I still get great enjoyment playing/watching them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

RopeDrink wrote: »
    It's not 'resource management' at all

So it turned out, my inventory was full fairly soon enough, just assumed it was 'cos I had it on easy. I'm not a trophy seeker but I heard the platinum was fairly tough (may have been 1 that was harder) Invisible enemies would put me right off trying for it anyway.

Burzum wrote: »
    For me I'm going to dust off the old PS2 and give the Project Zero series a run through. Sadly horror films or games don't scare me but I still get great enjoyment playing/watching them.

I loved the two Project Zero games I played on the PS2. Nearly bought a Wii U to play the one(s) that got released on that.

Silent Hill 3 finished. Really enjoyed it in the end. Must pick up amnesia once again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Just started Haunting Ground on ps2 the review looked good online so will crack at this for few hours.
    Sad to say I have all the Silent hills from ps1-ps2 yet I have never tried them, I may give them ago soon before they just disintegrate from disuse.

Advertisement