Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Game Horrorthon 2017

Options
  • 01-10-2017 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I had asked if there was interest in doing this thread again this year, didn't get much back.
    I said I'd start it up anyway.

There isn't really rules or anything it's just to play some horror games through October. There was a few new games I heard about through it last year so hoping for the same again this year.

I started Siren Blood Curse again to collect the archive items, took me a bit to get used to it again but I'm slowly getting there.
    I may start Corpse Party Book of Shadows afterwards.

Anyone playing anything interesting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've been meaning to record myself playing horror games for the YouTubes, but i'm scared... And going by the other thread on YouTube channels, there would be a lot of screaming, which is apparently a turn off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I can't wait to get my hands on the Amnesia collection on Tuesday and going to get back into Daylight. Also hoping there's going to be a good horror sale on the ps store. Have 2 corpse party games on the vita so I'll give them a go as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd join. Been meaning to give Outlast a try after getting it free a while back, and might attempt my annual Amnesia playthrough this month as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭MissMayo

I'm looking forward to playing Dying Light later in the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Have 2 corpse party games on the vita so I'll give them a go as well.
    I enjoyed the first one but didn't do the extra, I picked up the NTSC 3DS version and said that would be my excuse to play that one.
    Looking forward to the second one.

• Advertisement

I've been meaning to record myself playing horror games for the YouTubes, but i'm scared... And going by the other thread on YouTube channels, there would be a lot of screaming, which is apparently a turn off...
    Yeah a bit is fine but too much screaming would turn me off personally. You could always like kinda beep it out or something maybe if it's to much?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I played Outlast and was enjoying it until the first jump scare about 20 minutes in.
    Nope!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I might finally play corpse party on the vita.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I have Detention, Layers of Fear and White Day to do me so far on Steam.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Forget Layers of Fear. It's just a series of cheap jump scares that become laughable quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Forget Layers of Fear. It's just a series of cheap jump scares that become laughable quickly.

I actually really enjoyed Layers of Fear. Has some interesting ideas and at 4 hours doesn't outstay its welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Picking up a PSVR soon (mate gave me a good deal on his one 2nd hand), so Resident Evil demo will be given a go :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I genuinely can't get my head round playing something like RE7 in a PSVR. I'd completely freak out. Not even sure copious amounts of alcohol would get me through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

The one thing I watch is the Sh*tstorm of Scariness. (I used to watch everything by these guys, but I got jaded of their shtick).

I must go over a few old games (I don't own a PC or current gen... funds and lack of free time are the main reasons).

I have Alien: Isolation, but chickened out. Same with the original Silent Hill (I know!). Just completed Dead Space 2 on zealot (woo cheevo...*sigh). I might go back and play the third.

FEAR is always a good "go to", might reply The Evil Within before the second one comes out on the 13th.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I genuinely can't get my head round playing something like RE7 in a PSVR. I'd completely freak out. Not even sure copious amounts of alcohol would get me through it.
    It's so much fun, really loved it, played it at a friends house and it's super scary, you know things are behind you.
    Xenji wrote: »
    I have Detention, Layers of Fear and White Day to do me so far on Steam.
    Detention I've not heard of, would love to play White Day let me know what you think of it, might be able to soon.
    I might finally play corpse party on the vita.
    First one isn't that long for the main story, I haven't started the 2nd yet but I'm hoping to play it on Vita

me_irl wrote: »
    The one thing I watch is the Sh*tstorm of Scariness. (I used to watch everything by these guys, but I got jaded of their shtick).
    I only started watching them this year, really like watching them but it's hard to go back to their older stuff tbf.
    I must go over a few old games (I don't own a PC or current gen... funds and lack of free time are the main reasons).

I have Alien: Isolation, but chickened out... might reply The Evil Within before the second one comes out on the 13th.
    Some great older games. I didn't play loads of AI but I did really enjoy it. I'm absolutely useless at Evil Within controls just don't suit me played it at a friends, watched the playthrough on Best Friends actually, I just wanted to see how it went.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Got it with the humble bundle, Mary Skelter: Nightmares arrived today for the Vita, will give that a go instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I don't need too much stress so I'll avoid Resi or PT & replay Until Dawn if I get the time.
    I have Walking Dead season 3 to start & finish too :/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,678 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'd love to play through The Walking Dead season 3 but I only have the first 2 episodes and was waiting for the season pass to go on sale only to find out wouldn't allow me to buy it because I already had 2 episodes, didn't make any sense.

Looking forward to Amnesia on PS4 this week and posing Friday 13th around Halloween. I would love to get a loan of the PSVR just to play Resi 7 on Halloween night, pity you can't rent it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I say it all the time but I don't think there's ever been a better horror game that Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. You can pick it up for a pittance on Steam.

I went to start Resident Evil 7 last night but got distracted, but that intro scene has some really dodgy uncanny valley stuff going on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

I say it all the time but I don't think there's ever been a better horror game that Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. You can pick it up for a pittance on Steam.

Fiver! :eek:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/22340/Call_of_Cthulhu_Dark_Corners_of_the_Earth/

I guess Bloodborne would be another recommendation if you wanted the "Lovecraftian" experience.

There was another one I played all ten minutes of ages ago... Ah it wasn't Lovecraft, it was Clive Barker's Undying. (Also a fiver. Well, five euro and nine cent. https://www.gog.com/game/clive_barkers_undying )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I downloaded and started playing Amnesia Collection. Thought there was 2 games included but there's actually 3 which is sweet. It's a good game so far, atmospheric. My heart was pounding at one particular point last night which I haven't experienced since RE7 in VR and before that probably an early Silent Hill game.

In saying that, I can struggle with first person view. Feels weird to me. Particularly interacting with items and picking things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

All I remember about Dark Corners of the Earth was its horrible non lovecraftian bugginess, I never finished it

Still getting the archive items in Siren Blood Curse, had a very busy week. Some of them are really tough but I'm almost there.

Anyone gonna play Friday the 13th next week?

Finished up Detention tonight after having it since the start of the year, but have a habit of keeping horror games till October, I must say it is one of the best and original games I have played this year, the atmosphere and setting are fantastic and unnerving.

It blends the real horror of Taiwan's White Terror period with the supernatural and cultural superstitions , a blend of Silent Hill and Lone Survivor would be a good way to describe it, coupled with a solid story and a great setting, it might not be for everyone but if you like a slow burner that packs a punch at the most unexpected times, it is a great choice, only €12 on Steam at the moment as well.

Saw a short play through of Perception, anyone else played it? Looks really interesting.

Gave up on Siren, the archive items towards the end are getting a bit silly, getting 3 without dying in a hard stage, was tough just to get two without dying. I think I'll take a break again go play something else.
    Finished up Detention tonight after having it since the start of the year, but have a habit of keeping horror games till October, I must say it is one of the best and original games I have played this year, the atmosphere and setting are fantastic and unnerving ... a blend of Silent Hill and Lone Survivor would be a good way to describe it, coupled with a solid story and a great setting
    That sounds amazing, I'd love to give it a go sometime. Is it in anything else only Steam?

It actually came out on the PS store this week.

It actually came out on the PS store this week.
    That's fantastic! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Watched some gameplay of Little Nightmares and it really interests me. Seriously creepy and some good platforming and puzzles.

Will get it closer to Halloween.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Little Nightmares is excellent, very creepy and has some proper heart-racing moments. The art is amazing too.

Advertisement