Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning My Bike In Apartment

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Guy Sajer wrote: »
    after being licked in a shed for a year plus.

Who or what did the licking for a year plus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Citrus degreaser in the car park and baby wipes indoors.

Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Tomred13

If the shower is good enough for me its good enough for the bikes!!!. especially the mtb after a midnight 3rock spin. have been with my missus for over 18 years and she has caught me doing many a strange thing over the years but luckly has never walked in with me showering the bike, however im always listening out for the front door to bang. trick is to kinda jam the bike against the wall and shower away.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I wonder if theres a market for "bike cleaner bags".
    Similar to the oven cleaner bags except you pop your steed in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Mycroft H wrote: »
    If the bike isn't too bad I've been known to clean it in the bath when the other half is out. Bath usually comes clean with Jif afterwords.

I clean bikes in the bath when the other half is there!!! She knew that before she married me.

There is one in the bath as I type. All dry and just waiting to put the wheels back on. I’ll have the next one in it within the next 15 minutes for its bath!

I use a bit of degreaser on a sponge followed by bleach to clean the bath usually about 2 weeks later! We do have another shower but it’s too small for the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

That's serious love for you folk that shower and bath with the bike!

You will all go to heaven and be tasked with cleaning the pearly gates for St. Peter!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Would be very rare for me not to clean down the bike after a spin, rain or not. There's always a puddle or two. 4.5 years old now and still always getting asked if I got a new bike. Totally worth the 5 minutes of effort for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Just buy a new house, then clean your bike in the garden like a normal person.

longshanks wrote: »
    Just buy a new house, then clean your bike in the garden like a normal person.

Is it only normal people that liv in houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Is it only normal people that liv in houses?

Or is it only normal people, who clean their bikes in the garden?

• Advertisement

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Or is it only normal people, who clean their bikes in the garden?

This is getting complicated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I keep old newspapers for a while, lay them down, maybe a blackback too. And do my cleaning. Damp cloth on it's own gets most of it, apply whatever degreaser I need to chain etc and clean that off with a chain cleaning tool. All in my apartment.

I nearly always manage to feck up my canti breaks on the touring and cyclocross bikes, so I try to avoid taking the wheels off. Other bikes, take wheels off and clean each cassette cog individually.

Anything that can be stained gets covered or moved.

I once knocked off Muc-off wet lube and didn't notice for weeks. Luckily it was on the balcony, and it is now semi stained :/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,624 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

RobFowl wrote: »
    Bring it to a garage and use the power washer.
    No one and especially not a bike shop is going to clean your bike for you ...

There are lots of commuter cyclists who don't take the slightly perverse pleasure in poking around at bikes that many of the lads here seem to take. Seriously, in the shower, lads?

You'd think that it would be a standard service offering in all bike shops, a good opportunity to upsell, like the valet as part of car service.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Bike shops are often limited in size scope, and even plumbing so may not be able to offer such services. That's before you get to the fact that they have often only 1 or 2 staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭skulltown

Thanks For all the advice

So the plan is I bought some muc-off products. I am going to take the bike to my parents house and give them a go. :)

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-cleaning/muc-off-8-in-1-bike-cleaning-kit

I was looking around youtube and seen this video which uses muc-off products. God loves a trier. :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnqGI-trjtA

As you can see from this image. I don't think cleaning it in my bath or shower would be the best idea. Oil everywhere! :).

GMV867E.jpg

I would like to try the 360 cycles shop next time. Best I can do is give it a try. I'd rather pay someone to clean my bike rather than waste time doing it myself.

Life is to short for cleaning things;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭buffalo

I know some people have used this guy: https://www.facebook.com/mrorangebikes/

He'll pick your bike up, take it away and service it, and return it to you much improved. I think he does just cleaning, but if not I'm sure if you asked him to do it as part of a service, he'd oblige (perhaps at a cost).

(Full disclosure, he's in my cycling club.)

buffalo wrote: »
    I know some people have used this guy: https://www.facebook.com/mrorangebikes/

He'll pick your bike up, take it away and service it, and return it to you much improved. I think he does just cleaning, but if not I'm sure if you asked him to do it as part of a service, he'd oblige (perhaps at a cost).

(Full disclosure, he's in my cycling club.)

Great ill send him a message.

Thanks

Ended up clean it myself :D mrorangebikes was a bit out of my price range

https://imgur.com/a/tklRM

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

......You'd think that it would be a standard service offering in all bike shops, a good opportunity to upsell, like the valet as part of car service.
    You can't really compare valeting a car with cleaning a bike. A car has relatively smooth easy-clean surfaces with the mechanical components hidden underneath. If a car engine was external, no garages would be offering a valet with a service.

Advertisement