Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning My Bike In Apartment

Options
  • 28-09-2017 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi

I live in one bed apartment with no balcony. I have real trouble cleaning my bike. I normal take it home once a year to clean it properly. Even if I get it serviced they never clean it properly because it has so much oil and dirt on it. I am not afraid to go out in the rain so it gets really messy.

Does anyone in Dublin north know of any places where they will was my bike properly.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Bring it to a garage and use the power washer.
    No one and especially not a bike shop is going to clean your bike for you ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Power wash at a garage as above staying away from headset/BB and anything with bearings or delicate parts.

Have you a bath? Bring it in there with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Bucket of water and a couple of rags outside somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

When I did a bike maintenance course the mechanic told us not to wash the bike with a hose/washer. Said to use a cloth and degreaser like WD40.

My apartment does have a balcony but it was still a pain trying to clean the chain there. Next time I will just use an empty space in the underground car park or bring the bike home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭jamesd

Clean mine with baby wipes after each spin and put some cardboard under it for the chain cleaning and oiling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I had a full blown panic attack at the the thought of a bike out there, only being cleaned once a year.
    But, I'm alright now.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Have you a common ground/area? I've lived in various apartments and always bring them out on the grass with bucket of water, degreasers, rags etc every so often. As has been said if you wipe it down regurlarly after each dirty spin it should not get to a critical state.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

veganrun wrote: »
    When I did a bike maintenance course the mechanic told us not to wash the bike with a hose/washer. Said to use a cloth and degreaser like WD40.

My apartment does have a balcony but it was still a pain trying to clean the chain there. Next time I will just use an empty space in the underground car park or bring the bike home.

This bike gets cleaned once a year ! I think the finer points of bike maintenance and longevity of components are already well gone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I had a full blown panic attack at the the thought of a bike out there, only being cleaned once a year.
    But, I'm alright now.

I just checked strava, bike cleaned once in 15,417.4 km.

Drivetrain and rim/pads are cleaned/checked as required. Big mileage on the parts over 50k km on crank, 30k km on front wheel, 20k km on rear wheel.

Life is too short to be washing bikes. First long spin in about 6 months tomorrow, kinda looking forward to the abuse I may get from a man with very clean bikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

If the bike isn't too bad I've been known to clean it in the bath when the other half is out. Bath usually comes clean with Jif afterwords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm in Raheny, I can pm you next time I'm powerwashing the car? You can do a Howth spin and wash the bike!

It will be a Saturday or Sunday. I wash the car a good bit as it spends a lot of times offroad and on beaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

sparrowcar wrote:
    Power wash at a garage as above staying away from headset/BB and anything with bearings or delicate parts.

I power wash everything but I also bring lubricant to put on after.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Have you a bath? Bring it in there with you.
    Sounds a bit dangerous - you'll have to keep your eyes on the chain to make sure it doesn't trap anything.....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Beasty wrote: »
    Sounds a bit dangerous - you'll have to keep your eyes on the chain to make sure it doesn't trap anything.....:pac:

Good luck explaining that in A&E!!

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Doc07

Eamonnator wrote: »
    But, I'm alright now.

Reminded me of the story about Queen Victoria having a bath once a year 'whether she needed it or not'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Mycroft H wrote:
    If the bike isn't too bad I've been known to clean it in the bath when the other half is out. Bath usually comes clean with Jif afterwords.

Slowly edging towards divorce...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I clean mine on my mother in laws garden. interestingly grass does not grow for ages after you drop alot of degreaser on it..

Seriously though, cardboard from Aldi or Lidl (fruit/Veg boxes), folded, under bike and clean in the car park in the apartment block

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

I don't think they expect to see a bike that hasn't been cleaned in a year! Not for €20 anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I cleaned mine in the bath in my previous apartment. Clean out bath straight after and then have my own shower and it never stained. I've a balcony now, bath was easier but I've an XS frame so mine fit perfectly in there :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

jamesd wrote: »
    Clean mine with baby wipes after each spin and put some cardboard under it for the chain cleaning and oiling.

That's love (and discipline). Fair play! I could not be bothered cleaning my bike that frequently but I still love it and treat it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Beasty wrote: »

A bath for two and lots of lube afterwards.....:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Down onto the ground floor and use a mobi v-17 for much love :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've seen people using garden pressure sprayers to clean down bikes before putting them in cars - seems like a handy option, as no need for power, probably not high enough pressure to do damage to the bike, and easily stored? Definitely something you could carry handy enough down to an underground carpark/ shared space anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

letape wrote: »
    I don't think they expect to see a bike that hasn't been cleaned in a year! Not for €20 anyway.

No, you’re right! They might like a challenge! Although they might want a bit more than 20 for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

If you make a habit of wiping your bike down after cycling in the rain and wiping and living the chain weekly there’s no need to hose your bike down.

My bike is two years old and still in tip top condition.

I clean my bike at least once a week if am using it (have 6). Last night cleaned 3 thoroughly....
    Power washers fine as long as avoid hubs and BB/headsets and lube afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Borderfox wrote: »
    Down onto the ground floor and use a mobi v-17 for much love :)

I have a portable Karcher washer that is smaller than the mobi washer. Use it in the car park. No way I could leave cross or mountain bikes dirty. Road bike only gets washed if it's been raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Friend of mine brings his mountain bike into the shower with him after a spin. Kills two birds with one stone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

RobFowl wrote: »
    Bring it to a garage and use the power washer.
    No one and especially not a bike shop is going to clean your bike for you ...

Except as part of a service package. My bike is currently at the shop taken apart and cleaned thoroughly and replacement cables installed. Although the bike was in a bad state clean wise, after being licked in a shed for a year plus.

Advertisement