Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primavera Sound 2018

Options
  • 27-09-2017 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭

Apparently The National have already been confirmed.

I'd say Father John Misty and The The are also likely to be added, based on touring dates.

Any predictions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

based on who has albums out recently/soon:

Queens of the Stone Age (playing Northside festival the week before, along with The National, FJM and Deerhunter)
    Bjork
    Beck
    Phoenix
    Fleet Foxes
    The War on Drugs
    Chvrches
    Kelela
    Kurt Vile/Courtney Barnett
    St. Vincent
    Jon Hopkins
    Mount Kimbie
    Rostam
    Cut Copy
    Chelsea Wolfe
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor
    The Horrors
    Wolf Alice
    Weezer
    London Grammar
    Vampire Weekend
    Grizzly Bear

a few of those probably played this year or 2016 so probably won't get booked again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭maximoose

Good timing for the thread, booked flights and hotels today :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Chance
    Jay Z
    Nas and Lauren Hill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

Mogwai (thinking the secret show doesn't count as being on line up last time)

Royal Blood

playing in London on the Saturday: The National, The War on Drugs, Future Islands, Warpaint, The Districts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

That is some line up for that concert in London. You'd have to think a lot of them are likely for Primavera then.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,283 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

playing in London on the Saturday: The National, The War on Drugs, Future Islands, Warpaint, The Districts

What is the likelihood of that selling out? I also can't see a price on axs, do you know how much it is?

Mushy wrote: »
    What is the likelihood of that selling out? I also can't see a price on axs, do you know how much it is?
    I read £66 (+fees) earlier. capacity is 40k apparently, no idea if it'll sell out.

The XX are playing the same venue the weekend before. as it's part of a kind-of festival, there'll be other gigs there over those 2 weekends too. rumoured other headliners are Bjork, Nick Cave and LCD Soundsystem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Just judging by who is in and around Europe around the time, my (very early!) guesses are:

Nick Cave, the National and Bjork to headline, with a pretty stacked undercard including the likes of the War on Drugs, Patti Smith, Future Islands and Father John Misty.

I'd be hopeful of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs (though I don't think they've announced whether they're touring or not, have they?), Grizzly Bear, Fleet Foxes, St Vincent and Wolf Parade. The latter four are currently on tour so they may not be still around/back for round two but I'd love to catch any and all of them!

Bought my ticket over the weekend so I'm very excited. Shame it's so long away!!

LCD playing Malahide June 5th, good sign for Primavera?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Gorillaz also announced for Malahide on the 9th, if all of these acts are to play at Primavera it will be an incredibly strong line up!

maximoose wrote: »
    LCD playing Malahide June 5th, good sign for Primavera?
    dunno if they'd book them again after only playing 2 years ago? I'd be very happy if they did though!
    I'd probably make sure I was back for the Malahide gig too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Gabi (the booker? promoter? CEO? I actually don't know what his title is...) did a Facebook Q&A about the festival yesterday. Someone on efestivals translated from Catalan to Spanish to English so it's a little ... eh... colourful... But it's clear enough what he was saying.

Line-up is basically done, poster should be finished and out before Christmas. He ruled out a few names (Pavement, Pearl Jam and others), again noted that the National is basically a done deal so they're surely among the headline acts, and said no chance of Frank Ocean coming back after last year's debacle.

Said he "likes" Mura Masa and Lorde, but that could mean that he is targeting them rather than he has secured them.

Anyway - copied and pasted the piece from efestivals below. As I said, not my work so if anything is unclear, I can't help!!
    -New stage (for now called Chiringuito) in the same sand on the beach, djs, rock groups, pop, you can eat and bathe.
    -Do not come Pearl Jam (just in case someone doubted it), or Jane's Addiction
    -No Pavement, maybe next year.
    -Not either Roni Size (the live he does now is a tease anyway).
    -My Bloody Valentine does not release disc, it's Kevin alone.
    -Ni Fugazi or the Galaxy 500 looks like they're going to play again.
    -Compare the sign with a locomotive, with a lot of muscle, compact.
    - There will be metal, the same number of groups as always.
    -The National almost confirmed.
    - Maybe Lorde? Mura Masa?
    -They know names: would you like Mica Levi, John Zorn (seems difficult), Bombay Royale?
    -Ark? He has never been and they like it.
    -No Iron Maiden or Metallica because it's hard to set the stage.
    -Gary Numan already came. Scott Walker impossible, the Chromatics do not play because they have moved with the seal.
    -The Cars do not touch, the NIN have already been, like the Horros, Badalamenti complicated.
    -The Cocteau Twins seems impossible. For now there is no group that plays an entire album.
    -Repeat Primavera Club bands.
    -It seems that the Artic Monkeys do not.
    -Robert Wyatt would like it.
    -A pair would like NOFX.
    -Morrissey one year of these falls.
    -Cartel very advanced but they have many things to confirm with the groups. The announcement of the poster is being recorded this weekend. Possibly before Christmas is the poster.
    -Gabi says that the poster is milk, that there are many bands spinning and that it will be successful.
    -They try to fix the floor of Mordor.
    -With the Chiringuito the festival will grow in size a little.

-Other facebook live in month and little with the poster.

With the announcement of All Points East this week, I'd say we are likely to get the Yeah Yeah Yeahs or Phoenix. More regular visitors tell me that they don't repeat headline acts regularly within a two-three year cycle, so LCD Soundsystem may not be on the bill, though nobody has entirely ruled them out either. Beck and Bjork could be on the list too as they're around at that stage. I think Bjork played before but it's been a few years afaik.

from reddit
    A few things more:

-Gabi said he's going with his daughter to see Kendrick in his tour stop in Paris. (Take that as you will).

-They said they knew nothing about Arctic Monkeys at this point and that the band is keeping everything under wraps about their album and future live shows. They have a good relationship with Alex Turner and his people as he has played the festival before with The Last Shadow Puppets. They would love to have them but at this moment in their career Arctic Monkeys can basically choose where and when they want to play so who knows.

-They already have the programme more or less done but are waiting to finish some scheduling details like the days each band is playing and all that. They mentioned late november, early december as the window for the announcement. They are taping the announcement video this weekend.

-They talked about how some bands would consider playing Primavera as one of the main reasons to reunite (aside of the money of course). Gabi even mentioned their perseverance to have them play the fest as one the possible reasons Slowdive started touring again.

-They are big fans of Arca even if sometimes they are not sure if they liked the records or how to feel after listening to him.

-They are definitely booking for the fest some of the bands that played the Primavera Club gigs this month.

-Gabi stated that they do not see themselves in direct competition with any other festival in Spain because others like Mad Cool or Barcelona's Sonar have other characteristics and goals. They do not change the strategy because of other festivals.

-They would love to try again with Frank Ocean another year but impossible for 2018.

-The thing about Iron Maiden and similar bands is that, although they would love to have them, they move too many people and would create a logistics and crowd control problem.

-Morrissey: they love him just like they loved The Smiths but he's a difficult booking.

-Gabi joked about how he sometimes ponders about making a Primavera style fest in Italy (they were asked about all the Italians that came last year).

-Gabi said they like to really think about the lineup possibilities when they are preparing it and that they like surprising people.

-They are very happy with this year's lineup because a lot of great bands and artists are touring right now which doesn't always happen.

looks like The National won't be at the Porto one, they were announced this morning for NOS Alive in Lisbon a month after.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭dublinkeith

Ahh prediction time, here goes:

Nick Cave
    The National
    Gorillaz
    The The
    St Vincent
    Daughter
    Quicksand
    Jawbreaker
    Liars
    The War on Drugs
    Kurt Vile
    Courtney Barnett
    Floating Points
    The Breeders
    Protomartyr
    Algiers
    Outlines
    Metz
    Shellac
    Julien Baker
    Hookworms
    Ought

• Registered Users Posts: 12,189 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

No Glastonbury next year so I'm strongly considering this, I want to see some of the lineup before I buy though.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds were leaked for playing the Porto leg, so presume they'll be at Barcelona too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Maybe Fever Ray, they are doing a short spring tour which ends in April, but I can imagine them extending it a bit and including some festivals too.

FEVER-RAY-Tour-Poster-1510581591-compressed.jpg

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Any idea when a lineup will be announced ?

• Advertisement

mid-January they say, although they're running a competition for 10 people to go to Barcelona next week (travel+accom) and see the lineup, so it's possible it might leak before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭dublinkeith

Next Tuesday 16th being mooted as line up announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Next Tuesday 16th being mooted as line up announcement

I was excited this morning but now am bored of checking for announcements...

22nd being touted now as the release date, christ I just want it announced so I can stop checking e-festivals

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

it's a bloody pain, get it over with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Was told in work yesterday we cant take holidays around the time this will be on, nailed on to be the greatest lineup of all time now :rolleyes:

the names in blue here are likely, black are possibilities:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rLVoPmmMs9J5G3x3Fh8TFrOJ7UCxCr_5kYnXAL-G-MY/edit#

Plenty on that list I'd love, give me these as a starting point and I'd be happy, anything else a bonus

Father John Misty
    The National
    Ty Segall
    Thundercat
    Unknown Mortal Orchestra

Wouldn't mind if the Arctic Monkeys chat turns out true but I've read your feelings on that :pac:

maximoose wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind if the Arctic Monkeys chat turns out true but I've read your feelings on that :pac:
    :pac:
    I mean, I don't mind them, would probably go see them in fairness, but I'd much prefer some of the other names being talked about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I'm not bothered a whole lot, there's always tons to see and discover. Last year was probably my least favourite line up on paper since I started going and I had a ball. Have flights, tickets and hotel sorted so just want to have an idea of who we'll get to see now.

Advertisement