Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glasnevin to Sandyford for 9am & then back at 17:00 daily

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Your average cyclist is not cycling from drumcondra to sandyford though. Start doing that and your speed will pick up quickly enough. I do from beside DCU to leopardstown a couple of days a week and it usually takes me under 50 minutes.

My cycle in the morning is maybe 2 km longer than that and it takes me 55 mins or so. There are a lot of junctions and traffic lights in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭Ginger83

harry999 wrote: »
    What's the best route? Would anyone advise driving the M50 in the mornings, what's the best time to leave to beat traffic? Also, how long would we be talking?

Should I travel into the city from Glasnevin to Pearse via train, walk from Pearse to St. Stephens Green and get the LUAS to Sandyford?

Another query, how reliable are Dublin trains? In Belfast, they are right on time, is the timing on the trains and the LUAS pretty accurate or are they often delayed?

Been considering many different ways and would like to hear some other peoples perspectives.

Anyone who can help, its much appreciated.

Invest in a good electric bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭harry999

Hi If I do flexi time and start at 7:30 till 4pm - would the traffic be okay ? at 7 in the morning would I make Sandyford in 30 minutes ? Thks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Hi If I do flexi time and start at 7:30 till 4pm - would the traffic be okay ? at 7 in the morning would I make Sandyford in 30 minutes ? Thks

Not reliably no.

Probably take you 45 minutes on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I used to do Glasnevin to Donnybrook/Clonskeagh, it was probably half an hour in the car. Sandyford is beyond that again. I know the road from Glasnevin down to Phibsboro gets busy very early and Drumcondra is a nightmare. 45 mins is probably about right, including a bit of a buffer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Driving that everyday would be miserable tbh. My wife works in Sandyford, we live in Cabra, and I've met her after work a few times. Even though she finishes a little earlier than most (4.30), there's just no way to get home that isn't utterly congested. You'd probably find traffic relatively light at 7am or so, but 4pm is right at the start of peak, so it's usually quite heavy already then.

Also, you'd almost certainly have to go via the M50 as the other routes are way worse, an extra 15-20 minutes perhaps. So the M50 route means a 70km round trip every day, all the petrol expenses that brings, plus 2xM50 toll charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I do Blanchardstown to Carrickmines at 8am and it takes 35 minutes. Leave either at 4 or 6...have made it in 17 minutes once leave at 5 it takes forever.

Tried doing public transport home on my first day...some three hours later...

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

Luas Cross City will be open before the end of the year. Are there city bikes in Glasnevin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭crisco10

Luas Cross City will be open before the end of the year. Are there city bikes in Glasnevin?

Nope closest is phibsborough, at the top of Eccles St.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

crisco10 wrote: »
    There is Dublin City Council Secure Bike Parking on Drury St also an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

crisco10 wrote: »

Isn't it crazy that they don't have the bikes beside two of the biggest tourist spots in the city, the cemetery and the botanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Isn't it crazy that they don't have the bikes beside two of the biggest tourist spots in the city, the cemetery and the botanics.

It's not that crazy when you understand that Dublin Bikes only works as a network of stations, they can't be isolated and separate. In addition, DB is designed for city residents, not really so much for tourists.

Advertisement