Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glasnevin to Sandyford for 9am & then back at 17:00 daily

Options
  • 27-09-2017 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

What's the best route? Would anyone advise driving the M50 in the mornings, what's the best time to leave to beat traffic? Also, how long would we be talking?

Should I travel into the city from Glasnevin to Pearse via train, walk from Pearse to St. Stephens Green and get the LUAS to Sandyford?

Another query, how reliable are Dublin trains? In Belfast, they are right on time, is the timing on the trains and the LUAS pretty accurate or are they often delayed?

Been considering many different ways and would like to hear some other peoples perspectives.

Anyone who can help, its much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Where in Glasnevin are you? Estate agent Glasnevin is not the same as actual Glasnevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Bike is your best bet. I did Inchicore to Sandyford for two years and I had my cycle down to just under 30mins. Downhill most of the way home too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭crisco10

Do this commute (in reverse) daily. Here are the options I have tried:

Drive: 45mins to an 1hr if I avoid the peak traffic. No idea how long it would be if I were aiming to be in at 9. (M50)
    Bus (the 11): 45 mins or so in the morning if i get the 7am bus, but about 1hr 30 on the way home at least.
    LUAS and Bus: 1:15 each way or so.
    LUAS & Run to/from Charlemont: 1hr
    Run: 1hr 10mins (+shower time)
    Cycle: 35mins (+locking/changing time)

No prizes for guessing which I do, as well as being quickest, cycling (and running) is by far the cheapest!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭harry999

I did not consider the bike - but yes sounds like a good option - on google maps says 55 mins for 15km cycle. I'm CLOSE TO Fagans Bar - so real Glasnevin... Thks

harry999 wrote: »
    I did not consider the bike - but yes sounds like a good option - on google maps says 55 mins for 15km cycle. I'm CLOSE TO Fagans Bar - so real Glasnevin... Thks

You'd easily get that down to 40mins without too much effort.

My route was 13kms and I stopped for red lights etc, just below 30mins for me. If I drove it took an hour and public transport was 1hr 20mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

If you want to beat the traffic leave about 6am

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

harry999 wrote: »

That is Drumcondra !

I wouldnt drive from there to many traffic hotspots which ever route you take
    Bus or Bike if you have changing facilities will be best

That is Drumcondra !

I wouldnt drive from there to many traffic hotspots which ever route you take
    Bus or Bike if you have changing facilities will be best

The showers in my office were terrible, so I joined Ben Dunne Sandyford. €16pm, no contract and just changed in there and then had another gym I could use

• Registered Users Posts: 13,007 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

crisco10 wrote: »
    Cycle: 35mins (+locking/changing time)

There's no way it's only 35 mins for your average cyclist commuter from near Fagans to Sandyford.

There's no way it's only 35 mins for your average cyclist commuter from near Fagans to Sandyford.

But it is (to Botanic Gardens area anyway), average speed of 23kmph is very doable. I've been doing it for 3 years on a hybrid, stopping for lights etc. Track myself on Strava so have tonnes of data to back it up. Bizarrely, the drag from Ranelagh helps your average speed, as the frequency of lights drops significantly.

For the record, Inchicore to Sandyford is 13km, Sandyford to Fagans is about 13.5km; LollipopJim and I both recording similar times (well, he's quicker!). Pretty sure its possible for your average cyclist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

But it is (to Botanic Gardens area anyway), average speed of 23kmph is very doable. I've been doing it for 3 years on a hybrid, stopping for lights etc. Track myself on Strava so have tonnes of data to back it up. Bizarrely, the drag from Ranelagh helps your average speed, as the frequency of lights drops significantly.

Average Cyclist speed is between 15-18km an hour not 23km an hour !

I cycle through the city every day too. I'm not doubting you have your timings on Strava and maybe it would take you 35 mins but I know how fast I am and I know roughly how fast I am in relation to other cyclists out there and 35 mins is just too little time for, as I said, your average cyclist commuter. They aren't getting anywhere near 23km/hr on average through the city.

Yeah for the first two cycles maybe. 23kph is pretty slow. I'm 100kgs and manage 29kph now

Yeah for the first two cycles maybe. 23kph is pretty slow. I'm 100kgs and manage 29kph now

Congrats, that's good going.

However it's total fantasy to think most people are getting anywhere near that on average over their entire journey, factoring in stops at lights etc.

Congrats, that's good going.

However it's total fantasy to think most people are getting anywhere near that on average over their entire journey, factoring in stops at lights etc.

That's what I got on that route. I'm very much a novice cyclist and when I started doing that route I was on the bike for the first time in 15years. Easy enough to carry 30kph+ along most of that route. The only bit that got me was when it was windy going by UCD up to The Goat

That's what I got on that route. I'm very much a novice cyclist and when I started doing that route I was on the bike for the first time in 15years. Easy enough to carry 30kph+ along most of that route. The only bit that got me was when it was windy going by UCD up to The Goat

I'm not questioning whether you got it or not. I'm saying the vast majority of people won't. There's no point in telling someone they're going to fly along and do this commute in 35 mins because the overwhelming likelihood is they aren't.

I'm not questioning whether you got it or not. I'm saying the vast majority of people won't. There's no point in telling someone they're going to fly along and do this commute in 35 mins because the overwhelming likelihood is they aren't.

I disagree. A half decent road bike and an able bodied person can easily achieve the times mentioned.

Now, a one legged man on an old mountain bike will struggle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

but its always going to be quicker than any other mode at peak times even if the OP is slightly slower.

Now to plan their route!!!

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    but its always going to be quicker than any other mode at peak times even if the OP is slightly slower.

Now to plan their route!!!

Yup, this is it. As well that it is the most reliable. No matter what your average speed, it will always take the same amount of time to within a few minutes. I consider a big variance to be about 5 mins in my total time from "house to desk", if it were car or public transport, that would be negligible variance.

Even if you are the slow speed (15kph) or "fast" (23kph), there's only 10/15 minutes in the difference between those 2.

The really hard thing is the days you don't want to cycle (dark/cold/wet) are the days you really should as all other modes of transport will be much slower those days.

Happy cycling!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Buy a folding bike, cycle to St Stephen's Green, take the Luas from there.

In December, once Cross City opens, you'll just need to cycle to Parnell Street.

The only problem you might have is space to fit your folding bike on the tram at that time (but you are allowed to bring them on at any time, it doesn't have to be off-peak).

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    Buy a folding bike, cycle to St Stephen's Green, take the Luas from there.

In December, once Cross City opens, you'll just need to cycle to Parnell Street.

The only problem you might have is space to fit your folding bike on the tram at that time (but you are allowed to bring them on at any time, it doesn't have to be off-peak).

When cross-city is open you'd only need to go to Phibsboro.

When cross-city is open you'd only need to go to Phibsboro.

Parnell is actually a bit closer to the starting location he mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

15 minutes from Cabra to city centre on a bike. You won't get to Sandyford in 30!

15 minutes from Cabra to city centre on a bike. You won't get to Sandyford in 30!

It took me on average 15 minutes getting from Cabra to the south Docklands, so the city centre wouldn't take 15. I agree Sandyford would be a stretch for 30 minutes though, especially as there's quite a long uphill section (not a steep gradient or anything, just very long)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I cycle 25k into work a few days a week and average 28-30kph.
    I'm a keen cyclist, 75kg in weight on a light road bike. I'm your Typical MAMIL :)

This morning, I was overtaken by a guy...dressed in full workwear, Hi-viz jacket, large bag on the back of the bike and he wasn't even out of breath! ... Bloody E-bikes! ;)

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/home.asp?dep=ebike

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭harry999

Hi I think getting the cross city from Phibsboro and the luas from the Green sounds the best. But If I look at time for luas from st stephens green to central park - it says 26 mins - to cycle to stop cross city stop and get it into city I think would take at least 20mins - so in total 46 mins. This would still be close to an hour morning and evening...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Fastest way is a moped or ebike. I did cross city on a moped for 4 years, Drumcondra to Portobello in 15 minutes and no having to shower afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

1.9km walk (would be about 16-17 mins if you walk at a brisk pace) and then jump on the LUAS at Parnell which will bring you straight to Sandyford. Seems like an absolute no-brainer to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,389 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Your average cyclist is not cycling from drumcondra to sandyford though. Start doing that and your speed will pick up quickly enough. I do from beside DCU to leopardstown a couple of days a week and it usually takes me under 50 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Buy a motorbike OP, you'll be there in 25 mins and the east link or M50 is toll free for bikes. Enjoy

Advertisement