Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiring a car in America

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭jimbob1982

L1011 wrote: »
    The base price didn't include the one-way fee ($400) for starters.

And I even rung the woman in Cork and said all that to her because yes if you look at the email it looks like the one way fee is left out of the 652e and she just said "No no.Its 652e" I should've known when all the others were about 1000e base price that Avis were leaving out something with their 652e.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

jimbob1982 wrote: »
    And I even rung the woman in Cork and said all that to her because yes if you look at the email it looks like the one way fee is left out of the 652e and she just said "No no.Its 652e" I should've known when all the others were about 1000e base price that Avis were leaving out something with their 652e.

You signed a document when picking up the car detailing the fees with it split out - you should have challenged it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭jimbob1982

L1011 wrote: »
    You signed a document when picking up the car detailing the fees with it split out - you should have challenged it then.

I agree . You're right but what I am really concerned about now is how should I go about hiring a car in future without getting fleeced.How do you guys go about it? Any recommended companies? Do you use Internet to book, phone or what do you do? This is far more important than getting anything back from Avis as I intend to travel via hired car much more throughout the USA and Europe and maybe a bit of Asia or Africa.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I solely use Hertz (except where there aren't any), got in to the invite-only bit of the rewards scheme somehow and check the paperwork with a fine tooth comb effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I've hired in Florida a number of times, using Dollar & Alamo, never book directly with them, use a third party UK broker which includes all insurance & fees.
    The only thing I may have to sign for & pay locally is a tank of gas depending on whether I choose to prepay fuel or not at the time of booking
    Last May, printed off my go straight to the garage page, picked a car & drove to the exit

Join hire companies loyalty programme if they have one, some allow for skipping the counter at certain airports which avoids the sales pitch & dodgy add on's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Ifonlyicould

Buy an annual car hire insurance excess policy and it will save you a fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I hired a car from Budget in Florida at Easter and I had paid for the extra insurance online.

At the desk they said fuel would be $50 so i signed for that. Later in the contract he asked me to initial like 5 places, Luckily i read the small print and where he wanted me to initial would have lead to around €300 in extra charges

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Like L1011, I use Hertz only, althugh I have rented from Avis in the past. I always make sure to read and tick the line items before I put my signature on the dotted line. I'm a member of their Gold Rewards Programme, which is great as it means my car is usually waiting for me and I can just walk straight up and drive off when in the US.

Look, in your case, you had a different pick up & drop off. This always costs extra and I'd expect to see it as a clear line item. Then it's up to you what extras, upgrades or insurance you opt for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

This post has been deleted.

Or at least ask questions.

I booked for 600 but it now costs 1200. What are the extra charges and why would i want them?

• Advertisement
Advertisement