Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiring a car in America

Options
  • 26-09-2017 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Right guys.I had a great holiday yes 3000 pics.Picked the car up in Seattle for about 1900 dollars.3 times the quoted price here at home in Ireland.That was alright but about a week later Avis put about 1500e back in my account but with no sign of it on my transaction list.So I'm home now 4 days and they deduct 1700e from me and I'm now -1100e. I am so goddamn sick of this lies and towing and froing with money.Has anybody had this experience before and how do you deal with it? I don't know whether Avis are in the right or whether they're scamming but I know I asked that woman from Avis in Cork 3 times "Is this amount final?" and she said yes.More importantly though how can I stop this happening again?2 weeks on the west coast of America Seattle to San Diego one way by the way and she said that was all included aswell as the excess so I just don't know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭jimbob1982

Can I move this thread to a more suitable forum??

Modedit: Moved from Classic Cars to Consumer Issues

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

you can stop it happening by using a disposable credit card which is topped up with a set amount & or taking the damage insurance they offer.

im afraid when you accept their t's & c's you need to exercise caution.

im assuming they are claiming damage was caused?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Did you take pics when picking up and also when returning?

The 1700 is for the damage excess I would think.

If you have evidence of the state of the car you may be able to fight it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

What does your rental receipt/contract state? It's hard to guide you without knowing what you requested and signed up for.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

you can stop it happening by using a disposable credit card which is topped up with a set amount & or taking the damage insurance they offer.

im afraid when you accept their t's & c's you need to exercise caution.

im assuming they are claiming damage was caused?

Known prepay cards are not accepted by hire firms

• Advertisement

No damage guys.I met the guy dropping off the car and he wrote it on my rental agreement and also full tank as agreed.400e one way fee.652e base deal with excess at zero taken into account.This is what I was quoted in Cork but when I came to Seattle it was " The package: 1100e and Non Package items : 866.It would be better if I could send you guys pics but how can I get a Url for those?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Will one of ye give me an email address maybe and I'll email ye on the agreement in Seattle and then I'll have the Url.Just pm me or if ye have another idea let me know. I didn't get an email of anything on the Seattle side to post on here.

You can't share a link to your email address. Use a third party hosting site or attach them to boards here.

We'll I tried to attach it to the boards but either I'm doing it wrong or it won't allow me.What hosting site can I use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

jimbob1982 wrote: »
    We'll I tried to attach it to the boards but either I'm doing it wrong or it won't allow me.What hosting site can I use?

https://cubeupload.com/

https://www.flickr.com/

https://imgur.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Squatman

you need to call up Avis and get answers from them. Preferably the place where you dropped it off. Maybe even contact your bank and thell them not to authorise avis taking any more money from your account

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Squatman wrote: »
    Maybe even contact your bank and thell them not to authorise avis taking any more money from your account

Won't work. Avis have the signed contract and proof the service was delivered.

Have we enough information there guys?

Thanks a million Kintarō. That was a great help. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

What was the car hire price quoted in the initial email? 1100?
    Either you agreed to all the extras in the sales patter at the counter (upgrade, extra insurance etc etc) or the counter agent added them and hoped you'd quickly sign everything without noticing. If you didn't agree to them- and over 800 is a lot then I'd argue that point with them strenuously.
    I'm not sure what you mean about the further charges they're taking off your card. What are they saying they're for?

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

I’m seeing an estimated total in your second image, and a detailed breakdown with a signature accepting the charges on the first.

So the estimate may have been off, but you signed the agreement that has the total you were charged written clearly on it, if you didn’t read before signing I’m afraid that an expensive lesson to learn on your part

• Advertisement

What was the car hire price quoted in the initial email? 1100?
    Either you agreed to all the extras in the sales patter at the counter (upgrade, extra insurance etc etc) or the counter agent added them and hoped you'd quickly sign everything without noticing. If you didn't agree to them- and over 800 is a lot then I'd argue that point with them strenuously.
    I'm not sure what you mean about the further charges they're taking off your card. What are they saying they're for?
    The initial estimate not quote was 652e

Perhaps you can clarify the numbers in your original post.
    Initial car hire quote : $1100 (???)
    Price at counter: $1900 ( as seen on docket )
    Refund from Avis: $1500
    Sub total paid: $400 (?)
    Further charge from Avis: $1700.
    Total charge: $2100 is that right?
    If you agreed to the extras then 1900 is correct (on the docket it looks like you agreed to an upgrade at 55 dollars per day, and extra insurance at 6 dollars per day)but I don't know why they charged you 2100 then if figures are as per OP.

Initially they took the full whack.E1708 at the table in Seattle. A few days later they put back in about E1500 and then a couple of days ago they took the E1708 back out . Though when the E1500 went back in there was no sign of their name on my transaction list but I mean who else would it be?

Perhaps you can clarify the numbers in your original post.
    Initial car hire quote : $1100 (???)
    Price at counter: $1900 ( as seen on docket )
    Refund from Avis: $1500
    Sub total paid: $400 (?)
    Further charge from Avis: $1700.
    Total charge: $2100 is that right?
    If you agreed to the extras then 1900 is correct (on the docket it looks like you agreed to an upgrade at 55 dollars per day, and extra insurance at 6 dollars per day)but I don't know why they charged you 2100 then if figures are as per OP.
    Don't forget that the email pic you're seeing there is what I was given here in Ireland and that the paper document pic is what I received in Seattle.Different figures altogether. Do you understand now or am I leaving anything else out?You're right about the upgrade part but what about the 1100evas opposed to 652e?

Yes. I get it.
    Ok, for starters the Avis confirmation email looks like they totalled it up incorrectly.
    Base rate: 341.20
    Fees: 320.35
    One way charge: 300
    Taxes: 20.35
    Other charges: 26.35
    Gives a total of 1108.05 which is not a million miles off the initial "package" price on the docket $1101.99

On the docket you signed that you agreed to an upgrade at $55 per day. That's $715.
    You also agree to extra insurances at $6 per day and some other smaller dollar amount $1.74 or something (pic not open on phone right now) so thats another $$100++ dollars. That brings you to the total you paid of $1900.

As to why 1. The original email adds the total wrong, I'm not sure. When you add all the separated charges listed on the email, it's broadly similar to what is on the docket.
    2. Did you agree to the upgrade and extra insurances? If so, then you were upsold and the extra $896 is also correct.
    3. I dont know what they're doing with the various transactions. From what you say, it looks like they have now taken $2100 in total. Have they given an explanation for this?

Yes. I get it.
    Ok, for starters the Avis confirmation email looks like they totalled it up incorrectly.
    Taxes: 20.35
    Other charges: 26.35
    Gives a total of 1108.05 which is not a million miles off the initial "package" price on the docket $1101.99

On the docket you signed that you agreed to an upgrade at $55 per day. That's $715.
    You also agree to extra insurances at $6 per day and some other smaller dollar amount $1.74 or something (pic not open on phone right now) so thats another $$100++ dollars. That brings you to the total you paid of $1900.

As to why 1. The original email adds the total wrong, I'm not sure. When you add all the separated charges listed on the email, it's broadly similar to what is on the docket.
    2. Did you agree to the upgrade and extra insurances? If so, then you were upsold and the extra $896 is also correct.
    3. I dont know what they're doing with the various transactions. From what you say, it looks like they have now taken $2100 in total. Have they given an explanation for this?
    No.No explanation.I think I'll just go down to Avis in Cork myself and suss it out in person. Nothing of this matter is ever dealt with over the phone from my experience.

No.No explanation.I think I'll just go down to Avis in Cork myself and suss it out in person. Nothing of this matter is ever dealt with over the phone from my experience.

They are unlikely to be able to do anything

Your agreed base price on the website is missing well over $1000 of extras that you bought at the airport. You are not going to be able to avoid paying for those; they have a signed contract.

L1011 wrote: »
    They are unlikely to be able to do anything

Your agreed base price on the website is missing well over $1000 of extras that you bought at the airport. You are not going to be able to avoid paying for those; they have a signed contract.

$866 of extras.I see that now but the estimated charge in Ireland was only €652. Alright I know that's outside of extras but in Seattle their base price seems to be $1100 .That's what I can't figure out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

$866 of extras.I see that now but the estimated charge in Ireland was only €652. Alright I know that's outside of extras but in Seattle their base price seems to be $1100 .That's what I can't figure out.

It really looks like the total on the base price was totalled up incorrectly.

thats a total of 961.55 already as long with some other small charges.

• Advertisement

The base price didn't include the one-way fee ($400) for starters.

Advertisement