Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disabled feature for Tablets/ Ipads imports- Irish policy?

• 24-09-2017 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hey Guys

i've visited Pcworld and was looking for Tablet/Ipad with both wifi+4G
    I found huawai one on display and its display shows that the tablet has wifi and accepts 4G/LTE sim cards .(so the tablet model comes with sim and like mobilephones you expect to open sim cover and insert your sim) .
    However, the salesman told me that the SIM Card room has disabled even if specifications tells you that it must capable to have sim.
    The sim cover is there, but its disabled ! WTH!!!!

The salesman told me that its according to irish policy Tablets are not allowed to have 4G ! And he was surprised when he came from Croatia !

So isit irish policy that states or isit PCworld policy ??

By the way i didnt feel that PCworld is good choice to buy any electronics and the staff at customer service are very terrible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

mzn wrote: »
    Hey Guys

i've visited Pcworld and was looking for Tablet/Ipad with both wifi+4G
    I found huawai one on display and its display shows that the tablet has wifi and accepts 4G/LTE sim cards .(so the tablet model comes with sim and like mobilephones you expect to open sim cover and insert your sim) .
    However, the salesman told me that the SIM Card room has disabled even if specifications tells you that it must capable to have sim.
    The sim cover is there, but its disabled ! WTH!!!!

The salesman told me that its according to irish policy Tablets are not allowed to have 4G ! And he was surprised when he came from Croatia !

By the way i didnt feel that PCworld is good choice to buy any electronics and the staff at customer service are very terrible.

The sales person didn't want a clue what he's talking about.

Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭mzn

listermint wrote: »
    The sales person didn't want a clue what he's talking about.

Simple as that.

Whats this input !!! What do you mean ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,588 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Whats this input !!! What do you mean ?

The salesman was making stuff up because he didn't know. He was lying.

L1011 wrote: »
    The salesman was making stuff up because he didn't know. He was lying.

But all their Tablets that should come with Sim cards have been disabled ! how do you explain that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,319 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Have you contacted Pc World management and asked what their policy is?

Have you made a written complaint to management about this terrible service?

I think that should be your first port of call rather than randomly posting on a social media site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

But all their Tablets that should come with Sim cards have been disabled ! how do you explain that ?

I imagine it is because they only produce one line of tablets. It is cheaper and more efficient to produce/test/market/design/transport etc one type of tablet. You can then use software to alter features.

Tesla one type of each version. They use software to change the range of the batteries, speed etc. It is cheaper to mass produce one type, than several types of the same product

I imagine it is because they only produce one line of tablets. It is cheaper and more efficient to produce/test/market/design/transport etc one type of tablet. You can then use software to alter features.

Tesla one type of each version. They use software to change the range of the batteries, speed etc. It is cheaper to mass produce one type, than several types of the same product

Please understand the post, its harware issue NOT software one.
    The products have retail display that shows sim card is there and i looked at the tablet and the sim input is there but you cant open its cover because its disabled .
    The sales person asked his mates and he came with same reply . As per irish policy regulations we dont import tablets with sim feature, whether 3G or 4G . We only import tablets and ipads with wifi feature .
    In fact it dosnt worth buying a tablet without SIM feature for +300 € .
    I need to surf internet and make calls when wifi network is not provided.

muffler wrote: »
    Have you contacted Pc World management and asked what their policy is?

Have you made a written complaint to management about this terrible service?

I think that should be your first port of call rather than randomly posting on a social media site.

I did that and didnt recieve any feedback from them yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

mzn wrote:
    Please understand the post, its harware issue NOT software one. The products have retail display that shows sim card is there and i looked at the tablet and the sim input is there but you cant open its cover because its disabled . The sales person asked his mates and he came with same reply . As per irish policy regulations we dont import tablets with sim feature, whether 3G or 4G . We only import tablets and ipads with wifi feature . In fact it dosnt worth buying a tablet without SIM feature for +300 € . I need to surf internet and make calls when wifi network is not provided.

Then just tether your phone to the tablet. It's not a big deal.

peteb2 wrote: »
    Then just tether your phone to the tablet. It's not a big deal.

Its not for you but for me its problem .
    i cant buy a tablet that comes with wifi only while same product comes with wifi+ SIM (4G) in most countries .
    And assume thst your phone battery is low so you need reliable device instead that accepts your SIM .The cost is same for both and its +300 € not cheap enough to accept such a deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

What tablet was it? It's entirely possible that it doesn't have support for Irish 4G bands

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Not relevant to Dublin City, moved to Tablets.

tricky D wrote: »
    Not relevant to Dublin City, moved to Tablets.

it happened in the city

28064212 wrote: »
    What tablet was it? It's entirely possible that it doesn't have support for Irish 4G bands

See attached photo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

it happened in the city

If you are more specific, I'm sure we could move it to a more suitable forum.

If you are more specific, I'm sure we could move it to a more suitable forum.

See photo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

There are two models of that tablet: M2-A01W (Wi-Fi only); M2-A01L (Wi-fi/3G/4G). For less than €300, it's definitely the Wi-Fi only version. The "demo" screen showing LTE is likely just a standard, provided by Huawei. Nothing to do with either Irish or PC World policies

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »

Im afraid that sales person denied your input.
    He told me That all Tablets we have( even +300 € ) comes with disabled SIM feature.

You do use your sight and could see easily that demo (its just example) comes with 4G and even have slot of sim but its disabled .

The salesperson told me that its an irish policy so we dont import or deal with 4G Sim tablets .
    Samsung S2 is about 450€ and its without SIM feature
    AGAIN PHOTO for EXAMPLE not for PRICE replies .

I would say few people who are knowledgeable about technology buy their stuff in PC World, its generally quite expensive compared to online. PC World therefore cater to people who don't really know all the ins and outs. Were PC World to stock tablets with SIMs and without, most people when shown two identical tablets one 20 quid more expensive would buy the cheaper option so they;d be left with a loud of tablets and tablets lose value very quickly.

I honestly doubt its anything to do with Irish state legislation, more likely that the market in Ireland for tablets with SIMs is so small its not worth PC Worlds time or money to offer both models.

Incidentally my tablet is wifi only even though it has the slot for a SIM card. The restriction was done by the manufacturer. As another poster said its cheaper for them to make a run of thousands of the same case all with a slot for both sim and SD card, and then block the slots for the cases which will be wifi only, than it is to do two runs of cases one with SIM slot one without.

I would say few people who are knowledgeable about technology buy their stuff in PC World, its generally quite expensive compared to online. PC World therefore cater to people who don't really know all the ins and outs. Were PC World to stock tablets with SIMs and without, most people when shown two identical tablets one 20 quid more expensive would buy the cheaper option so they;d be left with a loud of tablets and tablets lose value very quickly.

I honestly doubt its anything to do with Irish state legislation, more likely that the market in Ireland for tablets with SIMs is so small its not worth PC Worlds time or money to offer both models.

Incidentally my tablet is wifi only even though it has the slot for a SIM card. The restriction was done by the manufacturer. As another poster said its cheaper for them to make a run of thousands of the same case all with a slot for both sim and SD card, and then block the slots for the cases which will be wifi only, than it is to do two runs of cases one with SIM slot one without.

What about the salesperson giving misleading info. if you are right !

• Advertisement

Well as I said most people who are tech savvy don't shop in PC World, so the sales guy is used to making up rubbish on the spot to answers questions. Which anwers makes him seem more knowledgeable:

"Its Irish policy not to import tablets that have SIM cards."

Or

"Dunno. Huh, never thought of that before..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

See attached photo

Could you buy that tablet from Amazon.uk, .fr,.de or .es without any issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

They just want you to buy what they have in stock. Easier for them to tell you what you want doesn't exist in order to encourage you to buy from them and get the sale.

Sarn wrote: »
    They just want you to buy what they have in stock. Easier for them to tell you what you want doesn't exist in order to encourage you to buy from them and get the sale.

Is it legal ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

If he told you it could use 4G and you bought it on that basis then no the product would have been missold. However he's telling you it doesn't have this feature and just spoofing when telling you the reason why. Nothing wrong with that.

Well as I said most people who are tech savvy don't shop in PC World, so the sales guy is used to making up rubbish on the spot to answers questions. Which anwers makes him seem more knowledgeable:

"Its Irish policy not to import tablets that have SIM cards."

Or

"Dunno. Huh, never thought of that before..."

And where does the expert ppl buy from ?

TheChizler wrote: »
    If he told you it could use 4G and you bought it on that basis then no the product would have been missold. However he's telling you it doesn't have this feature and just spoofing when telling you the reason why. Nothing wrong with that.

I didnt buy from him anything, as this shop is unsatisfactory for my needs in terms of both customer service and costly prices .
    The issue is that the product comes in both 4G+ Wifi, they dont import any type from Samsung, Huwai, apple or Asus with 4G feature, Even, No tablets in range from 100-500 € ! They told me that irish policy that prohibt selling Talblets/ ipads with 4G feature.

As you can use your eyes to see attached photo (just example) or visit them to get idea that their retail demo is showing 4G + Wifi for some brands, but they come disabled !

As you can use your eyes to see attached photo (just example) or visit them to get idea that their retail demo is showing 4G + Wifi for some brands, but they come disabled !
    I can use my eyes perfectly fine thank you very much, I was responding to your question about whether the salesman talking bollocks was legal or not. Maybe he was just trying to get rid of you quickly.

The built in Huawei demo advertises LTE but PcWorld and the salesman say the model they stock doesn't. They don't have to tell you the reason they don't stock the LTE version so the salesman just made up something.

i dont care about irish market, they lied on me and i didnt buy from them.
    Im customer and in sales world you must satisfy all needs of most customers .And at least they can order the one with 4G or keeping couple of models with both 4G+WIFI .

I m looking for professional tablet to cover most of laptops and mobiles functions . And for that purpose, i have to buy from non irish market if necessary.
    I noticed that many customers were unsatisfied with pc world and always rough/rude service after sales. I cant fool myself by buying anything with those liers.

• Advertisement

I can use my eyes perfectly fine thank you very much, I was responding to your question about whether the salesman talking bollocks was legal or not. Maybe he was just trying to get rid of you quickly.

The built in Huawei demo advertises LTE but PcWorld and the salesman say the model they stock doesn't. They don't have to tell you the reason they don't stock the LTE version so the salesman just made up something.
    The demo version of what placed in their display tells you that LTE is available . He asked his expert mates and he told me its same reason . "the irish legilslation" .and yes he was making up a story means he is lying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,319 ✭✭✭✭muffler

i dont care about irish market, they lied on me and i didnt buy from them.
    Im customer and in sales world you must satisfy all needs of most customers .And at least they can order the one with 4G or keeping couple of models with both 4G+WIFI .

I m looking for professional tablet to cover most of laptops and mobiles functions . And for that purpose, i have to buy from non irish market if necessary.
    I noticed that many customers were unsatisfied with pc world and always rough/rude service after sales. I cant fool myself by buying anything with those liers.
    where did you see or talk to the many customers who weren't satisfied with the service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

As per irish policy regulations we dont import tablets with sim feature, whether 3G or 4G . We only import tablets and ipads with wifi feature

Apple.com/ie will happily sell you an iPad with Wifi+Cellular for about €580, here.

Either it's a PC World policy, or the assistant was incorrect, or the assistant was lying. It is not an Irish regulation, or Apple wouldn't be selling them. The assistant should be more informed/not lie, but PC World may not want the hassle of retailing tablets with cellular connections, which is fair enough.

I suggest you write them an email to let them know their assistants are either under-informed or peddling misinformation, and find somewhere else to meet your purchasing needs.

DivingDuck wrote: »
    Apple.com/ie will happily sell you an iPad with Wifi+Cellular for about €580, here.

Either it's a PC World policy, or the assistant was incorrect, or the assistant was lying. It is not an Irish regulation, or Apple wouldn't be selling them. The assistant should be more informed/not lie, but PC World may not want the hassle of retailing tablets with cellular connections, which is fair enough.

I suggest you write them an email to let them know their assistants are either under-informed or peddling misinformation, and find somewhere else to meet your purchasing needs.

Yes he is probably lying and im NOT intending to return to this shop . Thanks.
    I will check apple site and will make comparison with other shops and markets .Thanks .The main point is that you understand me and my English is workable for you . So im not poor . Thank you again, nice man .

The demo version of what placed in their display tells you that LTE is available . He asked his expert mates and he told me its same reason . "the irish legilslation" .and yes he was making up a story means he is lying.
    The demo video from Huawei tells you the LTE version is available, from Huawei. Currys/Pc World don't stock it. If you want it you have to find a shop that stocks it or get it online basically.

The demo video from Huawei tells you the LTE version is available, from Huawei. Currys/Pc World don't stock it. If you want it you have to find a shop that stocks it or get it online basically.

The video is describing the product .Simply, if they dont have the stock, its not suitable to have demo with fake discription for the product they have at their stock and then telling fake story about irish legislation . They have to have right demo for stock they have.

• Advertisement
Advertisement