Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym never set up DD for past 5 months

Options
  • 23-09-2017 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just looking for advice. i joined a gym back in May - i paid a joining fee and month upfront using my debit card. i gave the details for the gym to set up direct debit for each month.

I was checking my online banking last night and realised after going through statements that my direct debit must never have been set up.

The only issue now is that if i notify the gym of this I will likely need to pay for the 5 months upfront. I'm annoyed I didn't notice this sooner as DD suited my budget and of course I've spent the money allocated for the monthly direct debit elsewhere!

I want to change gyms but if I cancel then i will need to pay for the 5 months upfront and i can't afford that. If i say nothing then they could notice the error in a few months and come after me for the money?

What should i do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Are you sure they haven't taken it as a monthly subscription from your debit card? It wouldn't show on your list of DDs if they've done it as a card subscription so maybe check your transaction history first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

The DD mandate wouldn't permit them to take 5 months at once, so while you do owe them the money you shouldn't feel pressurised to pay it in one lumpsum. Worse they can do is cancel your membership if you don't pay arrears upfront. Best they can do is waive the arrears and start the DD from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭sarahf2k16

Are you sure they haven't taken it as a monthly subscription from your debit card? It wouldn't show on your list of DDs if they've done it as a card subscription so maybe check your transaction history first.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Ya there is no transaction made/taken for the gym since my initial upfront card payment for the sign up and first month fee. I was told that the DD would be taken from the next month but it was never set up, my gym card has been active all this time. I didn't realise this as my friend had DD too and she didn't have the money twice and her gym card was deactivated temporarily after each DD bounced.

Tenigate wrote: »
    The DD mandate wouldn't permit them to take 5 months at once, so while you do owe them the money you shouldn't feel pressurised to pay it in one lumpsum. Worse they can do is cancel your membership if you don't pay arrears upfront. Best they can do is waive the arrears and start the DD from now.

i only noticed the DD was never set up because i asked the bank to cancel it so i can cancel my membership. I was just worried they could take the money as they do have my card/bank details.

sarahf2k16 wrote: »
    i only noticed the DD was never set up because i asked the bank to cancel it so i can cancel my membership. I was just worried they could take the money as they do have my card/bank details.

They may still present DD to the bank and backdate it. Or they might just write it off like any other cancelled DD. Are you sure they haven't already cancelled your membership?

You still owe them the money. It would just be easier for you to argue that you weren't notified of the amount or aware they were going to debit your account by a large amount.

Honesty's the best policy. Phone the gym, tell them you are cancelling your membership and have stopped DD with bank. I doubt they'll chase you for arrears.

• Advertisement

Hi, thanks for your reply. Ya there is no transaction made/taken for the gym since my initial upfront card payment for the sign up and first month fee. I was told that the DD would be taken from the next month but it was never set up, my gym card has been active all this time. I didn't realise this as my friend had DD too and she didn't have the money twice and her gym card was deactivated temporarily after each DD bounced.

Sounds like you fell through the cracks. I'd say nothing and move on, were it me.

Sounds like you fell through the cracks. I'd say nothing and move on, were it me.

Haha, that's what my friends have said but I'd be afraid that they'd notice in a few months and try charge me for 12 months or more even though I won't be using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm not all that familiar with these things but can't you say to your bank "I am in dispute with company X; do not pay any charges from company X"?

I think you have a fair argument that you were expecting the direct debit to be taken out monthly, and have been spending accordingly, and as such can not be expected to pay 5 months of charges all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭cnoc

Good advice - NOT.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Even from a purely selfish pov, I'd talk to them about paying it back just so it wouldn't be hanging over me. Surely they'd agree a repayment thing as it was their mistake. If they start demanding it up front *then* talk to your bank

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies guy, appreciate the opinions of others. I decided to give my 30 days notice to gym today and will see what they will say when they see the mistake they have made. I will agree to pay the outstanding amount in 2 or 3 payments which I think is reasonable instead of paying the full amount at once. I want to join a new gym this month (there is no pool or classes at my current gym) so can't afford to pay two gyms in the same month!

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The DD mandate wouldn't permit them to take 5 months at once
    That's not how Direct Debits work. The gym can present a debit for literally any amount. The consumer protection side is that consumers can block companies, and reverse debits for up to 8 weeks

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    That's not how Direct Debits work. The gym can present a debit for literally any amount. The consumer protection side is that consumers can block companies, and reverse debits for up to 8 weeks

Yea.... That's what I said

cnoc wrote: »
    Good advice - NOT.

Excellent joke.
    Thanks for the replies guy, appreciate the opinions of others. I decided to give my 30 days notice to gym today and will see what they will say when they see the mistake they have made. I will agree to pay the outstanding amount in 2 or 3 payments which I think is reasonable instead of paying the full amount at once. I want to join a new gym this month (there is no pool or classes at my current gym) so can't afford to pay two gyms in the same month!

Thanks again!

Trust me, almost zero chance they'll spot it.

That's not remotely anything like what you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,118 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's actually the complete opposite of what you said...

Back in 2005 I signed up with a new ISP, they had only started accepting domestic accounts. They didn't have their billing system in place properly and didn't take their money from my bank account for 7 months! And they took it in one go, thankfully I had left the money there. So it is possible.

Karsini wrote: »
    Back in 2005 I signed up with a new ISP, they had only started accepting domestic accounts. They didn't have their billing system in place properly and didn't take their money from my bank account for 7 months! And they took it in one go, thankfully I had left the money there. So it is possible.

I didn't say it's impossible. I said as it's not what the mandate allows them to do, the customer can get the bank to reverse the charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I didn't say it's impossible. I said as it's not what the mandate allows them to do, the customer can get the bank to reverse the charge.
    Most mandates do not specify an amount. And regardless of whether the mandate specified an amount or not, the customer can reverse any direct debit within 8 weeks of the collection

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Haha, that's what my friends have said but I'd be afraid that they'd notice in a few months and try charge me for 12 months or more even though I won't be using it.

Did you not sign up for 12months? They might look for the 12months payment because of the contract

Advertisement